using a nikon G-type lens on a micro 4/3 camera

Started Apr 4, 2012 | Discussions
bwana
Regular MemberPosts: 232Gear list
Like?
using a nikon G-type lens on a micro 4/3 camera
Apr 4, 2012

there are several adapters for this:

some have built in diaphragms since the lens diaphragm cannot be controlled by the micro 4/3 camera. for example

novoflex

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/646931-REG/Novoflex_MFT_NIK_Nikon_to_Micro_Four.html

rayqual

http://checkout.cameraquest.com/adapters/m43-micro-43-camera-body-rayqual-lens-adapter-for-nikon-g-lenses-without-aperture-rings.htm

pro-optic
http://www.adorama.com/CZNKG43.html

pro-optic with tilt!
http://www.adorama.com/CZPUYS.html

then there are others without the diaphragm (at least I cant find it)
fotodiox
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Y2XN9G/ref=oh_o02_s00_i01_details

the prices are all over the map (presumably due to quality) but probably due to supply. has anyone seen a review of these? I found various anecdotal reports but they are sporadic. Doubling the reach of a lens but plugging it into a high quality 4/3 sensor is very tempting. I know the nikon one line of cameras has an adapter for this, but the nikon 1 sensor is significantly noisier at anything above base iso (after all it is much smaller than a 4/3 sensor). plus there are so many more 4/3 users out there-there would seem to be a tremendous market for this kind of thing.

can anyone share any experiences ?

bwana's gear list:bwana's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E2
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,436Gear list
Like?
Re: using a nikon G-type lens on a micro 4/3 camera
In reply to bwana, Apr 4, 2012

You might want to look harder. There seems to be a very haphazard way of controlling the aperture with these adapters and some don't even try. For example the blue ring on the Novaflex changes the aperture but there are no markings or intents to tell you what it is set at. I would assume the information could not be displayed in the viewfinder either, so you're still shooting blind.

For example, if you wanted to stop down two stops, how in the world would you know how far that is? Since they are made to fit a variety of lenses, they can't give you accurate indents or markings. They would change per lens.

No, I think it's not a good solution if I'm reading the descriptions and looking at the images well. Besides, I'm not sure there's any advantage to using a Nikkor on a MFT camera.

At least with the Nikon One, you've got a Nikon adapter that allows full use of the lenses.
--
Cheers, Craig

Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bwana
Regular MemberPosts: 232Gear list
Like?
In reply to Guidenet, Apr 4, 2012

Guidenet wrote:

You might want to look harder.

look harder at the nikon 1 noise? look harder for a different adapter?

the use would be strictly manual anyway - aperture and focus- just like the old days. do you have any experience with this combination?

the major flaw of course is that it defeats the whole purpose of micro 4/3----size. but the intent is extreme telephoto reach. a bonus is that only the very center of the image circle is used-where sharpness and clarity are best. mft curves for nikon glass are already much better than most of what's out there for micro 4/3 although there are some great lenses. and of course if one wants to make the argument for quality, there are leica to micro 4/3 adapters. but the point here is to leverage the lenses one already has to enable better, different composition.

bwana's gear list:bwana's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E2
dr_elis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,144
Like?

Adapters like the Fotodiox allow to control the aperture of the lens. It´s not overly comfortable because there is no indication what aperture you are shooting at but one gets used to it and learns to interprete the shutter speeds in relation to shooting wide open as a measure of the aperture setting - to sum it up: it works reasonably well. I can´t see that more expensive adapters offer significant advantages over this.

_sem_
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,102
Like?

bwana wrote:

some have built in diaphragms since the lens diaphragm cannot be controlled by the micro 4/3 camera.

Most likely not really diaphragms but levers that operate the aperture lever on the lens. Mind the latter has a very short travel, so a clever mechanism that would make it longer and add a sort of a scale would be useful.
Another diaphragm would not be a good idea (vignetting).

pro-optic with tilt!

Tilt is an interesting option.

then there are others without the diaphragm (at least I cant find it)

I'd pass

s_ganger
Forum MemberPosts: 72
Like?
First hand experience

I've had several different M4/3 cameras (looking for one that suits me, started with an E-Pl1, tried a Panasonic G2, ended up with a Panasonic GF2) and have used two different adapters on them.
I currently have a Nikon G adapter and Olympus OM adapter made by Fotodiox.

The G adapter worked fine with my Nikon 17-55mm, but obviously the combo was huge. There isn't a diaphragm built in, just a ring that actuates the pin on the back of the lens that controls the aperture.

The only differences that I can see between the various manufacturers is in build quality. My Olympus adapter is solid as a rock and cost $20, my Nikon adapter has quite a bit of play on both the camera side and lens side meaning the lens can turn several degrees in relation to the camera. I relieved the issue with a little finessing of the metal "springs" holding the Nikon lens to the mount, but you may have to buy and return several copies to get one that you like.

As for using Nikon lenses on a M4/3 camera, yes they're pretty big, but those old manual lenses are a dream! I frequently use an old 28mm f/2, a 55mm f/3.5 micro, and an Olympus 50mm f/1.4 on my GF2 and they look fantastic.

Sam
--
blog.samueljganger.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads