What on earth is Sony thinking?

Started Apr 3, 2012 | Discussions
davidkachel
Regular MemberPosts: 329
Like?
What on earth is Sony thinking?
Apr 3, 2012

I cannot fathom what Sony is thinking. Apparently for the SECOND time, Sony has decided that their best new sensor(s) should be made available to Nikon (800) users months in advance of their own (Sony) users.

I consider my a900 the absolute bare minimum I need out of a sensor and have hoped for a bit more elbow room since day one. Sony has given that elbow room to Nikon users but not Sony users. Before I become even more heavily invested in Sony hardware it would appear to be a no-brainer to make the switch to Nikon since apparently Nikon users will always get preferential treatment over Sony users. I would get the sensor I need now instead of in (??? guess a month/year) and I'll get more respect from Sony.

Anyone see any flaw in this logic?

-- hide signature --

People who utter the phrase 'I have a good eye' should be beaten to death with their
cameras... being careful to leave a corpse with one good eye!

chopsteeks
Senior MemberPosts: 1,212
Like?
Re: What on earth is Sony thinking?
In reply to davidkachel, Apr 3, 2012

Perhaps this was Sony's way of making Nikon buy their sensors...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
two_stanley
Regular MemberPosts: 197
Like?

First of all, there is no proof that the 36mp sensor was a Sony design. all indications point to it being a Nikon design and manufactured by Sony. Which is two totally different things.

And even if it was a Sony designed sensor, Sony is actually probably smarting selling it on the Nikon first since they will profit more from Nikon than selling it exclusively on the A99.

davidkachel
Like?
In reply to two_stanley, Apr 3, 2012

two_stanley wrote:

First of all, there is no proof that the 36mp sensor was a Sony design. all indications point to it being a Nikon design and manufactured by Sony. Which is two totally different things.

It seems to be the general consensus. As for being a Nikon "design", it's more likely Nikon simply said 'this is what we'd like, can you make it?' since the sensor design experts would obviously be Sony.

And even if it was a Sony designed sensor, Sony is actually probably smarting selling it on the Nikon first since they will profit more from Nikon than selling it exclusively on the A99.

That doesn't make a lot of sense. You don't make more money selling at wholesale than you do at retail, and if the sensor were available only on Sony cameras, they would have more sales, perhaps enough to counterbalance the higher customer base of Nikon and certainly enough to tempt Nikon to pay a higher price rather than be left behind.

-- hide signature --

People who utter the phrase 'I have a good eye' should be beaten to death with their

felix from the suburbs
Contributing MemberPosts: 606
Like?

Considering that you can still pick up brand new copies of the Alpha 900, which according to some posts in this forum, has been discontinued, I would think it's a safe bet that Nikon sell a lot more full frame cameras than Sony does. And if Nikon is using the Sony sensor, that would mean that Nikon is Sony's biggest customer for full frame sensors. So why wouldn't Sony put it's biggest customer first. In some ways it's just good business and, in other ways, it's almost scarry to think that perhaps sony figure they will likely never catch up to Nikon on full frame sales, so might as well make money being their component supplier.

jaizon
Regular MemberPosts: 120
Like?

I find it quite interesting that Nikon would go to Sony for any design/production needs. Is that admitting something? Isn't that a tip of the hat to Sony engineering? LOL Maybe five years out Sony will make all Nikon's components for them (joke).

6132expd
Regular MemberPosts: 190
Like?

davidkachel wrote:

That doesn't make a lot of sense. You don't make more money selling at wholesale than you do at retail

Costco and Sam's Club begs to differ. It's all about quantity. Nikon sells way more cameras than Sony.

TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,408
Like?

two_stanley wrote:

All indications point to the opposite (Sony Exmor ADC on chip design, A55/A580 sensor scaled to FF).

davidkachel
Like?
In reply to felix from the suburbs, Apr 3, 2012

felix from the suburbs wrote:

...So why wouldn't Sony put it's biggest customer first...

Because it alienates their own customers?!!!

Why would Ford be so stupid as to sell their best engines to Chevy, then leave Chevy owners hanging for months waiting in second place for the same engine?

-- hide signature --

TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,408
Like?

davidkachel wrote:

I cannot fathom what Sony is thinking. Apparently for the SECOND time, Sony has decided that their best new sensor(s)

Just for reference, which one do you consider the first?

linhn
Regular MemberPosts: 332
Like?

two_stanley wrote:

Do you think that Apple "designed" the new retina display used in the new iPad which is manufactured by Samsung who specializes in LCD displays? Very doubtful and make no mistake you will start to see these in Samsung's own Galaxy tabs.

This leads me to agree with your second point. Sometimes you just have to go where the money and profits are. Samsung and Apple have been litigating over patents for months now but Samsung knows that Apple is also their biggest client.

linhn
Like?

davidkachel wrote:

felix from the suburbs wrote:

...So why wouldn't Sony put it's biggest customer first...

Because it alienates their own customers?!!!

Why would Ford be so stupid as to sell their best engines to Chevy, then leave Chevy owners hanging for months waiting in second place for the same engine?

-- hide signature --

The problem with this analogy is that Sony is neither Ford nor Chevy in the DSLR biz. Imagine if Yamaha made cars but sold their engines to Ford or Chevy first. Very possible.

davidkachel
Like?
In reply to TrojMacReady, Apr 3, 2012

TrojMacReady wrote:

davidkachel wrote:

I cannot fathom what Sony is thinking. Apparently for the SECOND time, Sony has decided that their best new sensor(s)

Just for reference, which one do you consider the first?

I don't recall which Nikon model number it was, but it got the a900 sensor.
--

EvilOne
Forum ProPosts: 13,570Gear list
Like?
In reply to linhn, Apr 3, 2012

" Keep your friends close, and keep your enemies closer"
--
Bill
Capturing memories, one at a time.

Visit my Smug Mug Galleries at:
http://evil-twin.smugmug.com/

steelhead3
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,733
Like?
In reply to TrojMacReady, Apr 3, 2012

How about the obvious, sony's camera wasn't ready, it was either held back because of money issues or there was tech glitch.

davidkachel
Like?
In reply to davidkachel, Apr 4, 2012

We're straying just a bit. The topic is: shouldn't I (we who need such hardware) switch to Nikon since Sony is favoring Nikon users and not their own?

So far no one has suggested a flaw in that logic.

-- hide signature --

linhn
Like?

If you actually read the responses you would realize that there is a good chance that Sony makes more money selling sensors to Nikon than by selling cameras on their own. You are suggesting that Sony could reverse this trend by cutting Nikon off and keeping it for themselves. Well I do not think Sony is in that position yet and apparently neither does Sony. There is your flaw.

davidkachel wrote:

We're straying just a bit. The topic is: shouldn't I (we who need such hardware) switch to Nikon since Sony is favoring Nikon users and not their own?

So far no one has suggested a flaw in that logic.

-- hide signature --

Alpha Doug
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,115Gear list
Like?
In reply to steelhead3, Apr 4, 2012

I could be totally wrong, but I'd bet that implementing the SLT technology on a full frame sensor has turned out to be more difficult than Sony reckoned. Also, I think the complete revamp and moving about of manufacturing facilities caused by the tidal wave and flooding has caused a major slowdown in product intros. Frankly, I'm really looking forward to the 24mpix version of the A99 or whatever, which is supposed to arrive first. I'm sure the 36mpix camera will be wonderful, but probably out of my price range.
--
Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-}

http://www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
digitalshooter
Forum ProPosts: 14,098Gear list
Like?
standard SOP for So$$ (nt)
-- hide signature --

Thanks,

Digitalshooter

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
davidkachel
Like?
In reply to linhn, Apr 4, 2012

linhn wrote:

If you actually read the responses you would realize that there is a good chance that Sony makes more money selling sensors to Nikon than by selling cameras on their own.

Except that this is 100% baseless speculation. Sony certainly never said that, did they?!

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads