D700 Rental Issue

Started Apr 3, 2012 | Discussions
Arnab Guha
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
D700 Rental Issue
Apr 3, 2012

Hello Everyone,

I am facing some Rental issues. I rented D700 last Thursday from Adorama and returned camera on Sunday. When I took it, it was working perfectly. When I returned it, it was working perfectly. During the 2 days time period, I handled it with utmost care, as it was my 1st rental experience and its a very costly camera.

On Monday, I got a call from Adorama rental department. The tech guy said that one pin in the memory card slot is got bent and I need to pay for that. I told him that I haven;t done anything wrong which can result this. Also the camera can successfully Read/Write on the card. He accepted it and confirmed that camera is fully functional. He said that 1 bent pin will not affect the reading or writing to the camera. But I need to pay for that repair.

I said that they should have checked the camera when I delivered it. They gave me the receipt. And now they can't say this things. But he said they need 24 hours to check the equipment ( I couldn't find this clause anywhere in there site or policies).

I am sure that I haven't done anything wrong. How should I be sure that the problem was there long before. Or how should I be sure that the problem didn't happened in their hand after I returned the camera. How should I prove my point?

They still haven;t release the replacement value from my credit card. And I am worried. Please suggest what I should do

Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ScottnLaguna
Contributing MemberPosts: 693
Like?
Re: D700 Rental Issue
In reply to Arnab Guha, Apr 3, 2012

Depending on your credit card company, you can dispute the charge through them. How much do they want for the repair? maybe you can meet halfway at worst case. Good luck.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Arnab Guha
Like?
In reply to ScottnLaguna, Apr 3, 2012

They haven't told me the actual amount. They are sending the camera to Nikon and Nikon will give the estimation.

But my point is why should I pay for a cause for which I am not responsible at all. I am using DSLR for more than 3 years and I know how to take out a card or put them in. But the problem is I cant find a way to prove my point.

1 question. If a pin get bent. Can the camera still Read/Write the memory card?

ssmumich00
Regular MemberPosts: 412Gear list
Like?

If you're in the city, never rent from there, so many more sane places.

I rented from them before ONCE and they flipped out on me for no apparent reason the morning I dropped it off 5 minutes before it was due...5 minutes, and they were going to charge me an additional day.

I've reported the incident on reviews, they did the same thing with my CC and I had to use BBB to get it all sorted out.

You'll have to put on your seat belt and battle this one out!

They are crooks in their rental department and aren't professional at all, and I'm not even being hyperbolic.
--
(w): http://www.neilphotos.com
(p): http://www.suneil.net

ssmumich00's gear list:ssmumich00's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +3 more
Arnab Guha
Like?
In reply to ssmumich00, Apr 3, 2012

ssmumich00 wrote:

I rented from them before ONCE and they flipped out on me for no apparent reason the morning I dropped it off 5 minutes before it was due...5 minutes, and they were going to charge me an additional day.

I've reported the incident on reviews, they did the same thing with my CC and I had to use BBB to get it all sorted out.

They are crooks in their rental department and aren't professional at all, and I'm not even being hyperbolic.
--

Thanks for replying. Yes. I have to fight with them. I am worried because they havn't released my fund. What do u mean by BBB?

Major Major
Regular MemberPosts: 297Gear list
Like?

General Advice for situations like these.

Next time you're on the phone with them, Id ask to speak to a manager. Tell the manager that you are positive any damage was not a result of your handling the camera and it must have been a pre-existing condition missed by both parties. Tell them you are preparing to sign an affidavit to that effect. Tell them you will dispute and further charges made to your CC and that if need be you will pursue the matter with a lawyer.

You should also send the above in the form of an email to several different departments in Adorama as high up the chain as you can.

Major Major's gear list:Major Major's gear list
Nikon D800
Arnab Guha
Like?
In reply to Major Major, Apr 3, 2012

Major Major wrote:

General Advice for situations like these.

Next time you're on the phone with them, Id ask to speak to a manager. Tell the manager that you are positive any damage was not a result of your handling the camera and it must have been a pre-existing condition missed by both parties. Tell them you are preparing to sign an affidavit to that effect. Tell them you will dispute and further charges made to your CC and that if need be you will pursue the matter with a lawyer.

You should also send the above in the form of an email to several different departments in Adorama as high up the chain as you can.

Thanks for the suggestion. Will do that.

owenleve
Senior MemberPosts: 2,550
Like?

I wouldn't pay for this. IF and ONLY IF they brought this up the moment you returned the camera I would want to sort this out. After they accepted it, how are you to know that they didn't mess it up? Anyone's guess.

No way I would pay for that. I would fully dispute any charges and I would even be proactive with my cc company to make sure any attempts are refused.
--

http://www.courtlevephoto.com
http://www.courtlevephotography.com

ollehto
Regular MemberPosts: 122
Like?
In reply to owenleve, Apr 3, 2012

Im not sure how common insurances are over there for when you damage something but if you lose it's best to have your insurance cover it. (i don't know the specific name in english for it, but it's a very common insurance here to have be it as a consumer or a business) It basically means if you cause damage to a thirdparty then they can get it covered from that specific insurance. (costs me a few euro a month as a consumer)

update: general liability insurance, that is what i wanted to say.

u2wedge
Contributing MemberPosts: 959
Like?

Better Business Bureau

Arnab Guha wrote:

ssmumich00 wrote:

--

Thanks for replying. Yes. I have to fight with them. I am worried because they havn't released my fund. What do u mean by BBB?

-- hide signature --

Asoshkin
Regular MemberPosts: 237
Like?
In reply to u2wedge, Apr 4, 2012

Good luck to you. This is going to be an expensive repair.

nkarasev
Senior MemberPosts: 1,499
Like?
In reply to Arnab Guha, Apr 4, 2012

Here is some thinking:

if they found the pin is bent after you returned chances are they would find it if the previous renter did it. This unfortunately suggests that odds are against you and looks like there is great chance that you've actually done this without realizing it. I know how easy it is to bent the CF pin on a card reader (done that)

Ok, it can be that they didn't check it after previous renter, so there is about 50/50 as far as anybody can see it: you can't prove you didn't do it, they can't prove they checked it on both occasions.

Personally I think that if they found it - you should be able to find it too when you received the body. But I do realize it is too difficult to think of checking every single millimeter, especially in places that are conceived like memory slot.

I would say - this is just luck running out. I had my share of breaking equipment and I know it just happens sometimes - maybe will keep from a bigger break next time.

But - I would expect their management to get to understanding this issue and agree on 50/50 split, unless they can prove that they actually checked the body after previous renter (not just state "yes, we always do", but really prove it)

You can press on this and say that since you believe they didn't do their job well enough (in case they disagree) you will spread the word in every single forum in the US that you know of. One way or the other it will hurt them too. I think this is the closest to being "fair" to both parties.

Nik

GeronimoD800
Regular MemberPosts: 127
Like?
They are taking you for a ride...

Someone mentioned that if they checked the same way after every return, they would have caught it from a prior rental. That's nonsense. I have absolutely no doubt that like all work-places, some employees follow the checklist through every last detail, and others say "good enough" and don't check every last detail.

I've had a D700 for 3+ years now and I'm not at all careful with my camera. I jam cards in and out and have never thought twice about it. I've dropped it several times. I'm not gentle by any means - I'm not going to spend my life walking on egg-shells for a camera I may own for only 3 - 4 years. And then I sell it for a steep discount letting the person know it's been roughed up a bit. But, it's never seemed to have any issues. Just checked the pins - they all look fine.

Have they told you how much the repair costs? Have you spoken to a manager? Ask to see a copy of the process they follow when checking in-coming cameras, and ask what sort of measures are in place to ensure that every employee follows them exactly. If they stumble over their words or can't come up with a reasonable list of measures, then keep pushing and ask how he could not know, but at the same time, be sure that they are always followed.

If that doesn't work, then I don't know what else to try. Just be polite, patient, but firm and persistent. They will eventually realize it's not worth it to have you in their hair every day.

And if it really burns you, get a job there in the rental department and see for yourself how well folks follow the checklist. Document it and then sue them for a million dollars (but offer to settle at 500,000 dollars).

footlong
Regular MemberPosts: 165
Like?

For all we know the guy checking the camera could have done it and is trying to save his ass by blaming it on you. I say file a dispute and never ever never ever buy and support Adorama or B&H. Find a nice local small camera store and deal with them. Much friendlier and much better service.

mlmusto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,984Gear list
Like?
crook = defamation (be careful); also calling someone unprofessional
In reply to ssmumich00, Apr 4, 2012

what does the rental agreement say?

that is what defines the rights and liabilities of the parties.
--
http://mlmusto.zenfolio.com/

mlmusto's gear list:mlmusto's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D700 Nikon D800
lmtfa
Contributing MemberPosts: 821Gear list
Like?
Classic: They will make you pay for ...

others that may have damaged. Why? I'll bet you declined the optional insurance coverage that would have relieved you of any liability for damage. As an example; when you rent a car your given the option to purchase the "collision damage waiver" so in the event the car is damaged, stolen or whatever you pay nada. Many people don't purchase that option because the car rental agency will go to their insurance company to collect but they are liable to their insurance for the deductible, which in many cases is $500. So and I don't know this they send a damaged camera to you that works fine but there is damage a "bent pin" in the card slot. They know this but you don't and how many people would ever think to check inside the card slot, really. You send the camera back and the D700 you rented is flagged in their system with that damage noted and praise be here you come a nice guy that wouldn't hurt a fly but you didn't take out the optional insurance. The rental department are dancing in the aisle, high fiven, and now that D700 can get fixed on your dime. It must cost a bundle to get to that area for repair. Now the battle begins. One of the guy's gave you great advise what to do. You did the right thing by joining dpreview today. Some of the folks who post here are better than attorney's or maybe they are. You have your marching orders, Fight, Fight and Fight some more.Good Luck

-- hide signature --

(i)lmtfa added to amino acid for molecular biological studies

lmtfa's gear list:lmtfa's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Sony Alpha NEX-6
Arnab Guha
Like?
Re: They are taking you for a ride...
In reply to GeronimoD800, Apr 4, 2012

GeronimoD800 wrote:

Someone mentioned that if they checked the same way after every return, they would have caught it from a prior rental. That's nonsense. I have absolutely no doubt that like all work-places, some employees follow the checklist through every last detail, and others say "good enough" and don't check every last detail.

I've had a D700 for 3+ years now and I'm not at all careful with my camera. I jam cards in and out and have never thought twice about it. I've dropped it several times. I'm not gentle by any means - I'm not going to spend my life walking on egg-shells for a camera I may own for only 3 - 4 years. And then I sell it for a steep discount letting the person know it's been roughed up a bit. But, it's never seemed to have any issues. Just checked the pins - they all look fine.

Have they told you how much the repair costs? Have you spoken to a manager? Ask to see a copy of the process they follow when checking in-coming cameras, and ask what sort of measures are in place to ensure that every employee follows them exactly. If they stumble over their words or can't come up with a reasonable list of measures, then keep pushing and ask how he could not know, but at the same time, be sure that they are always followed.

If that doesn't work, then I don't know what else to try. Just be polite, patient, but firm and persistent. They will eventually realize it's not worth it to have you in their hair every day.

And if it really burns you, get a job there in the rental department and see for yourself how well folks follow the checklist. Document it and then sue them for a million dollars (but offer to settle at 500,000 dollars).

They haven't told me yet. They said they will send the camera to Nikon and Nikon will give the estimation.. Thanks for the suggestions. It's very helpful

Arnab Guha
Like?
In reply to footlong, Apr 4, 2012

footlong wrote:

For all we know the guy checking the camera could have done it and is trying to save his ass by blaming it on you. I say file a dispute and never ever never ever buy and support Adorama or B&H. Find a nice local small camera store and deal with them. Much friendlier and much better service.

Ya.. Basically I thought they will be professional enough. My bad. I should have done some research before renting something from them.

Arnab Guha
Like?
Re: crook = defamation (be careful); also calling someone unprofessional
In reply to mlmusto, Apr 4, 2012

mlmusto wrote:

what does the rental agreement say?

that is what defines the rights and liabilities of the parties.
--
http://mlmusto.zenfolio.com/

This is the rental policy:

"Once we receive your equipment back and if there are no damages or losses, the Security Deposit on your card is released.

All equipment is tested and inspected prior to and after each rental. Any problem with the equipment must be reported immediately to us at 212-627-8487. If equipment is returned damaged, we will send it to the manufacturer for an estimate and either bill you for the repair fee or for the full replacement cost if it can't be fixed."

They haven't mentioned the 24 hour clause anywhere in the policy. In that case they should have checked the equipment in front of me

Arnab Guha
Like?
Re: Classic: They will make you pay for ...
In reply to lmtfa, Apr 4, 2012

lmtfa wrote:

others that may have damaged. Why? I'll bet you declined the optional insurance coverage that would have relieved you of any liability for damage. As an example; when you rent a car your given the option to purchase the "collision damage waiver" so in the event the car is damaged, stolen or whatever you pay nada. Many people don't purchase that option because the car rental agency will go to their insurance company to collect but they are liable to their insurance for the deductible, which in many cases is $500. So and I don't know this they send a damaged camera to you that works fine but there is damage a "bent pin" in the card slot. They know this but you don't and how many people would ever think to check inside the card slot, really. You send the camera back and the D700 you rented is flagged in their system with that damage noted and praise be here you come a nice guy that wouldn't hurt a fly but you didn't take out the optional insurance. The rental department are dancing in the aisle, high fiven, and now that D700 can get fixed on your dime. It must cost a bundle to get to that area for repair. Now the battle begins. One of the guy's gave you great advise what to do. You did the right thing by joining dpreview today. Some of the folks who post here are better than attorney's or maybe they are. You have your marching orders, Fight, Fight and Fight some more.Good Luck

-- hide signature --

(i)lmtfa added to amino acid for molecular biological studies

Yes. I haven't opted for insurance. I was kind of sure about my usage style. But I never thought a situation like this may occur.

Thanks for the suggestions. And yes, I am feeling much better after getting so many reply from you guys.

Thanks everyone for their valuable suggestions.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads