Why the hell do I log onto Rockwell?

Started Apr 3, 2012 | Discussions
Feud
Regular MemberPosts: 127
Like?
Why the hell do I log onto Rockwell?
Apr 3, 2012

I've just been doing the rounds of all the D800 reviews. Some very good information out there. DPR have their usual excellent in depth coverage; Cameralabs have posted some good samples; DXO have analysed the sensor half to death and imagingresource have posted their excellent standard shots.

But why, why, why, in the name of all that's holy, do I still log on to read Rockwell's inconsistent, arrogant, ill-informed babble? One minute the D800 is fabulous, the next minute, he's bemoaning its limitations and whining on about it.

Never again!

The first rule of "No Rockwell Club" is we do not talk about "No Rockwell Club."

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
u007
Senior MemberPosts: 1,678
Like?
Re: Why the hell do I log onto Rockwell?
In reply to Feud, Apr 3, 2012

I think it's good for what it is.

He's not super technical, but he's good at pointing out common day problems with the camera like the 5d3 cluster of AF points blocking the view of your subject, or having three custom setups on the mode dial etc.

He's good for the other side of the story imo

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,716Gear list
Like?
Sounds like a personal problem.

Did you want to discuss this in private?

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
Jan Morales
Regular MemberPosts: 335
Like?
user_name to the rescue
In reply to user_name, Apr 3, 2012

Wherever Ken Rockwell's honor is besmirched, user_name appears to defend it.

Dan DeLion
Contributing MemberPosts: 541
Like?
Ken, The Bloviator!

-

Rockwell's standards are low and variable. One may like or not like what he writes but, the sensible thing is to not pay any heed to his bloviations.
-

SergioSpain
Regular MemberPosts: 403Gear list
Like?

Some of his reviews are good, but when he says things like the D800 is Nikon's best camera ever without even having tested it, he loses a lot of credibility. And he definitely does come off a bit arrogant at times.

SergioSpain's gear list:SergioSpain's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR +3 more
xrdbear
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,663
Like?

Because you want to post a thread to bad mouth him?
--
Brian
Fine Art Print sales of the Isle of Skye at:
http://www.eyeofskye.co.uk/

Feud
Like?
In reply to SergioSpain, Apr 3, 2012

I suppose I shouldn't be so churlish, really. He strikes me as decent sort under the bluster, but it's the inconsistency that drives me crackers. I find myself spending more time on the Luminous Landscape and looking at the likes of Bruce Percy's super work these days.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=
The light is mercurial.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=

archer69
Senior MemberPosts: 1,253
Like?
Re: "Rockwell's standards" ...
In reply to Dan DeLion, Apr 3, 2012

Standards?

What standards? He doesn't have any.

Dan DeLion wrote:

Rockwell's standards are low and variable.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
JH
JH-Pphotography

Feud
Like?
Re: "Rockwell's standards" ...
In reply to archer69, Apr 3, 2012

Anyway, the D800 looks like a beautiful machine and I've learned enough to know that I'm probably going to buy one in due course.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=
The light is mercurial.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=

user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,716Gear list
Like?
Re: user_name to the rescue
In reply to Jan Morales, Apr 3, 2012

This is not so much a defense of Ken as much as an observation of absurdity.

The original post bemoans continuously going to KR site and finding it distasteful. Which begs the question, if you don't like what is in your glass, why did you keep refilling it with the same?

I would be happy to see someone post an argument or rebuttal to someone's blog and at least cite where the poster has differences and why. However, to just keep moaning is meaningless and boring. I just feel that Feud could do better.

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,211Gear list
Like?

Entertainment?

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
caribou
Senior MemberPosts: 1,017
Like?
In reply to CFynn, Apr 3, 2012

I go there for the jokes!
The guys a comedian.

Feud
Like?
In reply to CFynn, Apr 3, 2012

He obviously likes his photography, so as I've already said, I shouldn't be so churlish, but it just struck me he went from besotted to bored with his new D800 in the space of a single article; and bad-mouthing the D7000, a camera he has constantly enthused about, irritated me. I have a D7000 and must say as a creative tool, it's fabulous. Hey ho. I guess it's all part of his controversial style. Fair play.

Feud
Like?
In reply to caribou, Apr 3, 2012

I think you're right, Caribou. That's the spirit, I guess.

Julian Vrieslander
Contributing MemberPosts: 925
Like?

Every so often I read something of interest on Rockwell's site - but mostly it is blather and hyperbole. Sometimes I think the guy has ADHD. His opinions seem to change with the weather.

The most important thing to remember about his site is that he is trying to make money (to support his "growing family") by stoking his readers to buy the latest new thing, and getting them to click through the links on his pages to Amazon, Adorama, etc. He gets a small chunk of change from every click. This relationship should be obvious when he touts the special offers that he negotiates with some of these vendors.

SiPat
Contributing MemberPosts: 928
Like?

Feud wrote:

But why, why, why, in the name of all that's holy, do I still log on to read Rockwell's inconsistent, arrogant, ill-informed babble?

You can visit KR's website but you most definitely cannot log on to it...

Anyway, Ken Rockwell's become an obsession with some people and been done to death on DPR:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1021&message=41102326

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1021&thread=41088420

Rockwell has his head screwed on just right -- after all, they do say there's no such thing as bad publicity:

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/there-is-no-such-thing-as-bad-publicity.html

The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about. Oscar Wilde

Whois
Contributing MemberPosts: 562
Like?

I used to keep going to his site for the entertainment but it eventually became more irritating than entertaining and with no information value. That's when I stopped looking. Haven't been back in at least a year and haven't missed it at all.

golf1982
Contributing MemberPosts: 660
Like?
Re: Ken, The Bloviator!

Dan DeLion wrote:

-

Rockwell's standards are low and variable. One may like or not like what he writes but, the sensible thing is to not pay any heed to his bloviations.
-

This is the same Rockwell who claims he uses his 5D3 on medium quality 8mp JPEG, to make 24 inch prints!!!

Apart from his begging, my principle issue with him is that he states badly biased opinion as fact, giving bad advice to inexperienced / new photographers.

golf1982
Contributing MemberPosts: 660
Like?
Re: Ken, The Bloviator!

Dan DeLion wrote:

-

-

This is the same Rockwell who claims he uses his 5D3 on medium quality 8mp JPEG, to make 24 inch prints!!!

Apart from his begging, my principle issue with him is that he states badly biased opinion as fact, giving bad advice to inexperienced / new photographers.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads