Wedding close up examples?

Started Apr 3, 2012 | Discussions
healer81
Regular MemberPosts: 127
Like?
Wedding close up examples?
Apr 3, 2012

Hey guys, I am wondering if anyone can post some wedding close up pictures because my fiance and I are doing a photo shoot soon and we would like to give the photographer some input for what we want.

Anyone have anything shot with 50mm,85mm, 135mm?

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,802Gear list
Like?
Re: Wedding close up examples?
In reply to healer81, Apr 3, 2012

This was the of 670 shots of this wedding I shot of a friend of my daughter's which the bride chose for the front of her thank you cards. I wouldn't have chosen this particular one myself but I can tell you what's good about it.

1. Shot in evening light, so shadowless.
2. Tiny amount of flash.
3. 24-105 lens which does most stuff.
4. The bride and groom are slightly facing one another.
5. THEY DO NOT HAVE HANGING DOWN ARMS OR HANDS IN POCKETS!!.

The last one is most important. Nothing ruins wedding photos like dangling arms.

The background isn't perfect but it was all I had for this. I couldn't circumvent the railings.

What I suggest you do is find pictures you like on-line and print them. Ask youself what's nice about them.

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list:Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joesiv
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,343Gear list
Like?

healer81 wrote:

Hey guys, I am wondering if anyone can post some wedding close up pictures because my fiance and I are doing a photo shoot soon and we would like to give the photographer some input for what we want.

Errr... if you don't know what you want, wouldn't it just be better to let the professional do what he/she does best? That's what you're paying them for!

Hopefully you picked the photographer because you like his/her photos, why hamper their groove with half baked ideas that got on some random forum.

Just my 2 cents.
--
Cloverdale, B.C., Canada
Currently shooting: Nikon D3S, D700
http://www.joesiv.com

Joesiv's gear list:Joesiv's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus E-510 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G
Like?
In reply to Joesiv, Apr 3, 2012

Joesiv wrote:

healer81 wrote:

Errr... if you don't know what you want, wouldn't it just be better to let the professional do what he/she does best? That's what you're paying them for!

Hopefully you picked the photographer because you like his/her photos, why hamper their groove with half baked ideas that got on some random forum.

Just my 2 cents.
--
Cloverdale, B.C., Canada

That's fine but there certainly is a matter of taste involved. Some people like fancy arty stuff with all the images slanted, some like straighforward stuff, some like fun stuff. Would you have a chef into your house and tell him "cook what you want?"

Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV +27 more
Joesiv
Like?
In reply to Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee, Apr 3, 2012

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee wrote:

Joesiv wrote:

healer81 wrote:

Just my 2 cents.
--
Cloverdale, B.C., Canada

That's fine but there certainly is a matter of taste involved. Some people like fancy arty stuff with all the images slanted, some like straighforward stuff, some like fun stuff. Would you have a chef into your house and tell him "cook what you want?"

Actually if I knew nothing about food, except that I like food, sure I would trust the chef, that's what he does for a living. (strictly food related, I'll bet I wouldn't have much food in my house that I detested anyways) Who better to take what ingredients I have in my home and make something great with it? Some people like hamburgers and hotdogs because it's what they're used to, but if you have a chef in your home, why hamper his/her creativity and express themselves. A creative professional doesn't like to be put in a box (unless they aren't comfortable with their own abilities to create something without direction)

However, I think it's more like you going to restaurant. Wouldn't you pick a chef/restaurant based on what type of food you like? Chinese, Indian, Mexican, etc..? (Similar to you picking a photographer based on their portfolio)

And next, wouldn't you pick from items on their menu, rather than telling them to cook something that they have never cooked before, or don't even have the recipe/ingredients for? (Similar to you seeing a picture that was taken with a different couple, under different lighting, at a different location, in a different style than the photographer does, and telling them that's what you want)

I shoot weddings and engagements, and I hope couples pick me because they like my work. Sometimes I get suggestions for poses, and I'll try to give them what they want, but my stronger images are ones that aren't as cliche as the ones the clients saw on facebook or whatnot.

Of course this is all my opinion! Being a photography forum full of tech heads (like myself), it's easy to fall into the trap of over analyzing a photographer you hire, or trying to "help" them. I did the same thing when I was shopping for a wedding photographer, you should of heard me... "what gear you got?", etc... But my suggestion would be to just let the photographer do what they're best at and enjoy the ride. And actually on the reverse, you could ask the photographer what they'd suggest for what to wear/colors/etc... it opens up the discussion, if they did want some direction from the clients for theme/tone.
--
Cloverdale, B.C., Canada

Nikon D700 Olympus E-510 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G
healer81
Like?
ummm
In reply to Joesiv, Apr 3, 2012

I wasnt implying to tell the photographer how he should shoot.

I just wanted some input on what I can answer him if he ask what kind of style you are looking for, the look, the feel of the shots.

I have a general idea already but I wanted to post for some more ideas thats all. If you dont want to answer me you dont have to give an answer but thanks for your feed back anyway.

and anyways if I am going to pay thousands of dollars for some pictures its my responsibility to make sure I am satisfied. In order to do that I have to give them a clear idea of what.

Just like if you hire a graphic designer or website desiger you will have to give them feedback and not just asume they can read your mind.

I guess I have to apologize for not knowing exactly what I want to post in here...

Joesiv wrote:

healer81 wrote:

Just my 2 cents.
--
Cloverdale, B.C., Canada

healer81
Like?
In reply to Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee, Apr 3, 2012

hmm good point. . just because a chef likes to eat fish doesnt mean i would like it.

anyways when it comes to creative things its important to know what the customer is looking for. I have dealed with a lot of creative people in my line of work since I run a business and every time I assumed the designer knew what I was thinking about it never turned out the way I imaged... thats not til I told them in detail.

I just dont want to ruin the special day and have my wife upset at me later.

some people just like being smart asses I guess..

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee wrote:

Joesiv wrote:

healer81 wrote:

Just my 2 cents.
--
Cloverdale, B.C., Canada

Like?

My own opinion about wedding photography is that

1. You must make the bride look as beautiful as possible.

2. You must get important groups and make a reasonable job of them.

3. Dangling arms, trees growing out of heads, ladies with legs apart etc. are out.

4. Try and get everybody at the wedding in at least one shot.

5. Do whatever else you're asked.

Joesiv
Like?
Re: ummm

healer81 wrote:

I wasnt implying to tell the photographer how he should shoot.

I just wanted some input on what I can answer him if he ask what kind of style you are looking for, the look, the feel of the shots.

I have a general idea already but I wanted to post for some more ideas thats all. If you dont want to answer me you dont have to give an answer but thanks for your feed back anyway.

and anyways if I am going to pay thousands of dollars for some pictures its my responsibility to make sure I am satisfied. In order to do that I have to give them a clear idea of what.

Just like if you hire a graphic designer or website desiger you will have to give them feedback and not just asume they can read your mind.

I guess I have to apologize for not knowing exactly what I want to post in here...

My apologies, wasn't trying to come across the way I did. I just figure in an ideal world, a client should be able to point to photos that the photographer actually took that they like in terms of style and form, without having to reference their colleagues work.

Here are some links to a couple local photographers I know and like:

http://www.jasalynthornephotography.com
http://contraststudio.com/

I also have some pictures on my website.

-- hide signature --

Cloverdale, B.C., Canada

healer81
Like?
In reply to Joesiv, Apr 4, 2012

thanks for the links. your work looks good. i can also understand the view point of a working professional trying to please the client. my work also involves that and its not easy to work with people. im not expert but more like a hobbyist that maybe sometimes think he knows what he is talking about but not really.

So I just wanted to do some homework before hand.

Peter Gregg
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,706Gear list
Like?
In reply to healer81, Apr 4, 2012

As a wedding photographer I appreciate it when the client can communicate their desires, likes and dislikes.

For me, this is done at the consultation time. The client will be commissioning me to do their work (wedding, portrait and so on) based on them liking my style and the work I already am doing.

Micromanaging for me is a no no. It is an interruption in accomplishing my task. After I am commissioned based on my photojournalist style, there cannot be a change to a different style other than what I do in mid stream. At that point another photographer should have been commissioned.

This doesn't mean i don't have to deal with this during weddings, I do. But the response will never be a change midstream from one style to another. That all gets ironed out before the first shot is ever done. To go to a photographer with a "list" after the ball is rolling is a certain way to get a lot less than what the photographer is capable of. Either they will go along with what you want and their heart is no longer in your project and they will just coast along, or your interference will be rejected.

Peter

-- hide signature --

'Life is good - eternal life is better'

Peter Gregg's gear list:Peter Gregg's gear list
Sony RX100 G1 X II Canon EOS-1D X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 70D +2 more
olddog99
Forum MemberPosts: 74Gear list
Like?
In reply to healer81, Apr 4, 2012

I Was looking at Peter Gregg's answer and thought it thoughty.

I have never been willing to shoot weddings and don't intent at my advanced age to start. That's not a disdain for the trade, but an appreciation for the trade and the pains that those in it live with.

Anyone can shoot a picture. The best you'll get out of a package you self direct with a moderately competent cameraman is what you tell them to do plus a bit of minus. But look at some intelligent pictures and ask some intelligent questions, you'll get some smart answers. A beach wedding demands beach pictures. Don't get photographed in NYC unless you started there or something.

The reason you look at work from someone like Peter's is to see what he's done with someone else, not so much a model for yourself. You provide him input and he'll make it work. You think you might regret it in 30-50 years. Good luck on lasting that long and in the meantime, imagine how nice it would be to have your memory fit the pictures instead of a picture fantasy that doesn't fit.

It's true you're paying someone to shoot a picture, but you're also paying someone to shoot a concept of what the wedding was about. Not just where, but who's important and why, etc. etc. Peter can probably tell you what he'd tell someone on a first consult and afterward. There's a point where you can walk away and find someone who fits -- assuming you give them room to make you happy.

If all you want is a bunch of your relatives you're not asking much. If you want the bride to look as gorgeous as she is, hire a pro who can prove it in advance. Unless you plan to have serial weddings, buy what yiou can afford and buy something good within that range. I don't begrudge the guys who shoot video and all the rest for $20,000 or more, but if that's too much, go in with an idea of what you can afford. Whether it's 500 or $5,000, etc.

olddog99's gear list:olddog99's gear list
Voigtlander 50mm F1.1 Nokton Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Leica M9-P +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads