Enough is enough - please respect forum rules

Started Apr 2, 2012 | Discussions
Andy Westlake
Senior MemberPosts: 2,928Gear list
Like?
Enough is enough - please respect forum rules
Apr 2, 2012

OK, we normally expect (and to an extent tolerate) lots of inter-brand discussion when new releases appear head-to-head, but it's time for this forum to settle down again.

• Do not post random threads about what you think about the D800

• Do not post threads bashing Canon

• Do not post threads bashing Nikon

• Do not post threads attacking other members

Any threads in contravention of this are liable to be deleted without warning. Repeat offenders will be banned.

If you have a genuine question about the relative merits of the systems, or a genuine comparison between cameras, that's fine - you can talk about it here. But if all you want to do is discuss the D800, head over to the Nikon forum. That's why the forum structure exists.

EDIT - if you object to messages or threads that contravene the rules, hit the 'Complain' button. These forums are passively moderated - we can't read every post, and simply don't want to anyway - but this system only works with sufficient feedback. And please understand that, by the same token, moderation won't necessarily be immediate.

-- hide signature --

Andy Westlake
dpreview.com

Andy Westlake's gear list:Andy Westlake's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Olympus Stylus Verve S Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon EOS 5D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +11 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
schmegg
schmegg MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,113
Like?
Re: Enough is enough - please respect forum rules
In reply to Andy Westlake, Apr 2, 2012

Andy Westlake wrote:

(what etiquette is!)

Thank you Andy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 10,108Gear list
Like?
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, photography never for sale, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
schnoodles
Forum MemberPosts: 62Gear list
Like?

Awesome. Thank you!

schnoodles's gear list:schnoodles's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +4 more
schwoofi
Regular MemberPosts: 222Gear list
Like?
Thank you for this statement ... and for this great website :-)

I always refer to it when people ask me which camera to buy.

Best regards

schwoofi's gear list:schwoofi's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 +4 more
ScottieC
Contributing MemberPosts: 643Gear list
Like?
Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!

ScottieC's gear list:ScottieC's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +8 more
SpartanWarrior
Senior MemberPosts: 2,870Gear list
Like?
Re: Thank you!!!!!!!!!
In reply to ScottieC, Apr 2, 2012
 SpartanWarrior's gear list:SpartanWarrior's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +2 more
harold1968
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,687Gear list
Like?
Its true, you do exist :D

I thought it was only a myth, but the ancients were right!

well done!

Andy Westlake wrote:

OK, we normally expect (and to an extent tolerate) lots of inter-brand discussion when new releases appear head-to-head, but it's time for this forum to settle down again.

Any threads in contravention of this are liable to be deleted without warning. Repeat offenders will be banned.

If you have a genuine question about the relative merits of the systems, or a genuine comparison between cameras, that's fine - you can talk about it here. But if all you want to do is discuss the D800, head over to the Nikon forum. That's why the forum structure exists.

-- hide signature --

Andy Westlake
dpreview.com

harold1968's gear list:harold1968's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Sony RX1R Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
tocar
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,168
Like?
Thank you very much

It was getting out of hand!

ScottieC
Contributing MemberPosts: 643Gear list
Like?
Oh One more wish, if possible...

Oh One more wish, if possible... can you go thru and just lock all the D800 threads that are in this forum, so that they die off..

Andy Westlake wrote:

-- hide signature --

Andy Westlake
dpreview.com

ScottieC's gear list:ScottieC's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +8 more
jglaser757
Contributing MemberPosts: 683
Like?

Oh thankgod!

Andy Westlake wrote:

EDIT - if you object to messages or threads that contravene the rules, hit the 'Complain' button. These forums are passively moderated - we can't read every post, and simply don't want to anyway - but this system only works with sufficient feedback. And please understand that, by the same token, moderation won't necessarily be immediate.

-- hide signature --

Andy Westlake
dpreview.com

-- hide signature --

thanks

Jon

ianbrown
Senior MemberPosts: 1,920
Like?
Re: Oh One more wish, if possible...
In reply to ScottieC, Apr 2, 2012

Great news, let's get back to what forums are really for.

Ian

farcanal
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?

I've had to start taking medication because of all this Canon/Nikon stuff, here's the transcript from my last visit with the doctor.

Patient - "Dr I've got high anxiety again"
Dr - Have you been on the DP Review forum again?
Patient - Er, well, umm, kinda, maybe, okay then yes!!
DR - I warned you about that Nikon/Canon stuff
Patient - What's the solution?

Dr - I'm giving you 2 prescriptions this time. 1 has 5 packs with 22mb pills per pak
The second has 800 paks with 36mb pills per pak.
Patient - What happens if there's no change when the pills are gone?
Dr - Switch to Leica.....

Svenson
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?
Thank you (nt)

(nt means - no text)

Digital Shutterbug
Senior MemberPosts: 1,725Gear list
Like?
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

The forum has almost reached a point of being worthless. Thank you for an attempt to bring it back to normal.

Steve

ne beginner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,009Gear list
Like?
Excellent post!

These forums can and should be a great source of information shared between adults in a thoughtful manner. I have learned a lot from this site over the years, and this has helped me not only select gear but learn how to use it.

The level of debate regarding the D800 and 5D MkIII has degraded into more emotion and disinformation than anything else, and trying to pick through the hundreds of threads to find real facts and discussion is exhaustive.

There's are some great new choices out there from Nikon and Canon, but this board is becoming less useful when it comes to trying to figure out which is the right choice for someone's needs.

ne beginner's gear list:ne beginner's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR
Earthlight
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,150
Like?

Can we have examples? Perhaps a link to an acceptable thread comparing the cameras and a link to an unacceptable one?

I think in most threads there have been valid points made. I think the forum has always been like this, some people go tangential while others remain calm. I think most insults have been hurled towards people who dare to say, that the competing brand has a good product.

Earthlight

-- hide signature --
qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,311Gear list
Like?

Well said Andy. Got tired of tons of D800 threads in this forum that is nothing to do with most Canon owners.

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Eliezer Garcia
Regular MemberPosts: 194
Like?

THANK YOU!!! THIS forum sometimes are populated by people quite offensive. I don't have the courage to post my humble pictures because I am afraid to be ridiculized. I posted one question @ the Nikon forum and they almost called me stupid and send me to google.

hunk
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,214Gear list
Like?
You started it
In reply to ianbrown, Apr 2, 2012

ianbrown wrote:

Great news, let's get back to what forums are really for.

Uh? And you started a 5D vs D800 thread when? Yesterday?

Most people here joined in on the 5D vs D800 comparison threads or started their own but now they want them closed....

Ian

hunk's gear list:hunk's gear list
Leica M9 Canon Extender EF 2x II Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads