MMF-3 adapter or 32GB card? Future AF speeds?

Started Apr 2, 2012 | Discussions
Gakuranman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,016
Like?
MMF-3 adapter or 32GB card? Future AF speeds?
Apr 2, 2012

Just a quick question that I hope somebody knowledgeable about electronics may be able to try and answer. I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I should pick up another 32GB card or go for the MMF-3 adapter as my free gift for pre-ordering the EM-5.

I have the MMF-1 adapter and already have two 32GB cards. The chances of me buying one of the huge 43rds lenses is slim to none for the E-M5, because the AF speeds are not good enough for me.

However, assuming the next model of the OM-D series address the AF speed issues for 43 lenses, would the MMF-3 adapter allow the improved speed on a newer OM-D body? In other words, if I get the adapter now, how likely is it that a future body or firmware update will let me use the MMF-3 with fast AF speeds? Or, do you think it likely that Olympus will release an MMF-4 adapter with a new OM-D camera?

MAubrey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,479Gear list
Like?
Re: MMF-3 adapter or 32GB card? Future AF speeds?
In reply to Gakuranman, Apr 2, 2012

Personally, I'd get the adapter, sell it, and put the money toward lenses--especially if I had two 32GB cards already. SD cards will only get cheaper.
--
--Mike

MAubrey's gear list:MAubrey's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nate21
Regular MemberPosts: 148
Like?

As technology increases and the demand of older equipment becomes non-existent with OLympus track record when the OM-D replacement comes out olympus will attempt to fix the issue of increasing speed with 4/3rd lens on micro 4/3 bodies, by attempting to add SWC technology (hopefully) ,with firmware updates, or a new adapter will be attempted but i highly doubt will be produced. It is a wait and see mentality with camera companies nowadays.
--
Nathaniel Adams Jr.

Bob Meyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,336Gear list
Like?

There's no reason to assume Oly will ever build an m43 body that adequately focuses the older PDAF lenses. The best one can say is they might. But given the four-thirds appears to be largely orphaned, and the variety of 43 lenses continues to improve, I wouldn't make an investment today based on what they might do.
--

Bokeh is the aesthetic quality of the blur in out-of-focus areas of an image, or the way the lens renders out-of-focus points of light. Bokeh is not the same as depth of field (DOF).

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +12 more
Gakuranman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,016
Like?
In reply to Bob Meyer, Apr 2, 2012

Yea, it's a tough call. I just don't want to get the MMF-3 adapter and then have another, better adapter come out that actually offers fast AF support. I can use a 32GB card for a long time regardless of what happens...

Bob Meyer wrote:

There's no reason to assume Oly will ever build an m43 body that adequately focuses the older PDAF lenses. The best one can say is they might. But given the four-thirds appears to be largely orphaned, and the variety of 43 lenses continues to improve, I wouldn't make an investment today based on what they might do.
--

Bokeh is the aesthetic quality of the blur in out-of-focus areas of an image, or the way the lens renders out-of-focus points of light. Bokeh is not the same as depth of field (DOF).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads