Nex 5n potential buyer help

Started Mar 31, 2012 | Discussions
Fsi
Fsi
Regular MemberPosts: 153
Like?
Nex 5n potential buyer help
Mar 31, 2012

Yesterday I went to my local electronics store and they had the nex 5n in stock,I was super excited to try it out but was left really disappointed with the menu driven shooting system and surprised at how loud the shutter was.I loved the iq but really found the menus such a letdown.Is there anyway to create shortcut keys similar to say an s95,love the look and feel though so if there is anyway to work around the menu I will jump at the opportunity of getting 1 and if there isn't that option what should I try instead?

Canon PowerShot S95
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,111Gear list
Like?
Re: Nex 5n potential buyer help
In reply to Fsi, Mar 31, 2012

You have a number of custom settings. I have ISO on the bottom button. I have white balance and EV and about 5 other custom settings just a click or so away. I don't often have to enter the menu system, but you also learn the menu after some time. I agree that it wasn't pleasant at first, but the custom buttons really help.

Check this out: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7008349967/nex-5n-recommended-settings

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,111Gear list
Like?
In reply to sean lancaster, Mar 31, 2012
 sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
nick18k
Regular MemberPosts: 137
Like?

Fsi wrote:

really disappointed with the menu driven shooting system and surprised at how loud the shutter was.

The Menus is understandable, but complaining about the shutter isn't.

I went to an event last night and the 5N shutter sounds likes its as some sort of camera silencer on it.

weavster
Contributing MemberPosts: 913Gear list
Like?
In reply to sean lancaster, Mar 31, 2012

If its just the menu that puts you off, be assured that after an hour of fiddling it all gets very second nature - abit like using the clutch after your first driving lesson!

weavster's gear list:weavster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ3
Fsi
Fsi
Like?
In reply to nick18k, Mar 31, 2012

nick18k wrote:

Fsi wrote:

really disappointed with the menu driven shooting system and surprised at how loud the shutter was.

I went to an event last night and the 5N shutter sounds likes its as some sort of camera silencer on it.

The problem with me I think is that I'm coming from a point and shoot and am used to taking pictures of my daughter sleeping.

JohnK
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,395Gear list
Like?

Fsi wrote:

Yesterday I went to my local electronics store and they had the nex 5n in stock,I was > super excited to try it out but was left really disappointed with the menu driven
shooting system

IMO all digital cameras have menus.

really found the menus such a letdown.

Think of it like cars, some have the ignition switch on the steering column, some have it on the dashboard.

... what should I try instead?

Film, definitely film.
--
JohnK
Take a picture, it'll last longer.

nick18k
Regular MemberPosts: 137
Like?

Fsi wrote:

nick18k wrote:

Fsi wrote:

The problem with me I think is that I'm coming from a point and shoot and am used to taking pictures of my daughter sleeping.

When I first got my camera and sat it on my desk and took a shot I thought "This is really loud". Now after using other DSLR my Nex sounds like a point and shoot.

Menu: Just customize it to the cirlcle button.
-Focus
-WB
-Picture Effect
-Creative Style
-D-range

Set the ISO to the right button press.

Fsi
Fsi
Like?
In reply to nick18k, Mar 31, 2012

nick18k wrote:

Fsi wrote:

nick18k wrote:

Fsi wrote:

When I first got my camera and sat it on my desk and took a shot I thought "This is really loud". Now after using other DSLR my Nex sounds like a point and shoot.

Menu: Just customize it to the cirlcle button.
-Focus
-WB
-Picture Effect
-Creative Style
-D-range

Set the ISO to the right button press.

Thank you.will have a look at it again tomorrow.had a look at the nex n5 gallery on flickr and was really impressed.

laurihoefs
Regular MemberPosts: 102Gear list
Like?

If you are worried about the menus, think how often you actually use them.

There are already quick buttons to set display settings, self-timer, drive modes, exposure compensation, ISO setting and shooting modes. Those can all be easily set without ever accessing the menu. You can even customize the buttons to control many other settings.

I agree the menu could be better, but that's pretty much always the case. A quick menu could be handy, but it really isn't absolutely necessary. I find myself accessing the menu very, very rarely, pretty much only when I set the Creative Style to B/W to get a higher contrast image in the EVF.

laurihoefs's gear list:laurihoefs's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Alpha NEX-5N
GingerBread
Regular MemberPosts: 370Gear list
Like?

You can customize the buttons to make the center button a "custom" button, then you can assign five different settings that will be brought up on screen when you hit the custom button. Makes it much, much easier to use quickly.
--
Ging

GingerBread's gear list:GingerBread's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D700 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +2 more
snay1345
Regular MemberPosts: 341
Like?
In reply to GingerBread, Mar 31, 2012

I use old nikkors and the only time I have to go into the menus after I have set everything up is to change the iso. No other menu options are required while doing real shooting.

wll
wll
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,820
Like?
In reply to snay1345, Mar 31, 2012

snay1345 wrote:

I use old nikkors and the only time I have to go into the menus after I have set everything up is to change the iso. No other menu options are required while doing real shooting.

YA, you are right. The most often thing i change is ISO followed by WB and WB is not that often.

I keep the center metering mode and the center focus area for just about everything. The only time i change those is for maybe some landscape stuff.

The 5n, with the custom menu set is very quick and becomes second nature very fast.

wll

pacolucia
Regular MemberPosts: 130
Like?

I also have an NEX-5N and at first I was a bit troubled by the menu system (coming from a Canon SLR background). After using it for a while though, I find it very easy to use since there are customize-able buttons. Another great thing about this camera is the ability to use thrid-party lenses. I love the manual aperture ring in thos (I believe your Canon s95 also has this). For more info on my experience using the NEEX-5N you can see my article below:

http://paulorenato.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51:using-the-olympus-om-50mm-f14-lens-with-the-sony-nex-5n&catid=2:photography&Itemid=10

Paulo

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads