NEX-5N 21mm lens advice needed

Started Mar 31, 2012 | Discussions
cympoints
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
NEX-5N 21mm lens advice needed
Mar 31, 2012

Hello, decided to buy a 21mm. Looking at ZM f2.8 or ZM f4.5.

Price difference is not a consideration but not sure which one works better on the 5N as there seem to be conflicting reports between these two (I understand the size and speed differences).

I would appreciate anyone's advice, especially from those who have first hand experience with either or both lens on the 5N.

I had considered the CV 21 but am thinking of going with one of the Zeiss. many thanks.

Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jazzroy1972
Regular MemberPosts: 172
Like?
Re: NEX-5N 21mm lens advice needed
In reply to cympoints, Mar 31, 2012

Why not considering the exceptional Olympus Zuiko 21mm options?

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/shared/zuiko/htmls/21mm.htm

they have great optical and build quality and outstanding picture quality.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
john-photoguy
Regular MemberPosts: 452Gear list
Like?
In reply to jazzroy1972, Mar 31, 2012

I rented the Zeiss 21mm on both my Nikon and NEX3 cameras for a job and delivered the highest resolution EVER for that repeat job. But found the Zeiss a Tank! huge and front heavy. While it was fine on the tripod, it is not something i would want to cary and use hand held. So after trying a bunch of 21mm lenses, settled on the Zuiko, small, lightweight, easy to use and very sharp. Will i rent the Zeiss again from my friends at Lens Rental, for next years shot on a NEX7? I don't know...guess i will have to see what i think about the NEX 7 when it finally finds me.

-- hide signature --

Let just all take more photographs!

john-photoguy's gear list:john-photoguy's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D5000 Nikon D300S Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha 7 +19 more
mu55
Senior MemberPosts: 1,300Gear list
Like?

I ended up getting the CV 21mm, it's nice but it could have higher contrast, love the size - Price was a consideration.

the ZM 21mm f4.5 would have my vote on size alone - the whole point of the Nex system is compact size - If your ever after something wider i highly recommend the CV 12mm f5.6

-- hide signature --

mu55's gear list:mu55's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +6 more
PontusB
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?

If you are able to find a Konica Hexanon AR 21/2.8 you will get a very small and sharp lens with great clarity and nice rendering. Excellent on the 5N. Problem is, they are very rare (introduced late in the model line, made in small numbers) and somewhat expensive.

Taylor Sherman
Regular MemberPosts: 242
Like?
In reply to john-photoguy, Mar 31, 2012

Sounds like you're talking about the ZE/ZF 21/2.8. The OP is asking about the ZM models - for Leica rangefinder mount. The 2.8 is small and the 4.5 is tiny.

I'm also interested in the difference between these two on the Nex.

john-photoguy wrote:

I rented the Zeiss 21mm on both my Nikon and NEX3 cameras for a job and delivered the highest resolution EVER for that repeat job. But found the Zeiss a Tank! huge and front heavy. While it was fine on the tripod, it is not something i would want to cary and use hand held. So after trying a bunch of 21mm lenses, settled on the Zuiko, small, lightweight, easy to use and very sharp. Will i rent the Zeiss again from my friends at Lens Rental, for next years shot on a NEX7? I don't know...guess i will have to see what i think about the NEX 7 when it finally finds me.

-- hide signature --

john-photoguy
Regular MemberPosts: 452Gear list
Like?
In reply to Taylor Sherman, Mar 31, 2012

I tried the non retrofocus 21mm on my NEX, and it was amazing except for the fact that the corners were funny color and the big problem was the rear element stuck out too far past the mount. As a package, it was fun, but not too usable. IF another zeiss works better i would love to know. But you don't know till you try.

Thanks for the clarification.

Taylor Sherman wrote:

Sounds like you're talking about the ZE/ZF 21/2.8. The OP is asking about the ZM models - for Leica rangefinder mount. The 2.8 is small and the 4.5 is tiny.

I'm also interested in the difference between these two on the Nex.

-- hide signature --

john-photoguy's gear list:john-photoguy's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D5000 Nikon D300S Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha 7 +19 more
Gary H
Senior MemberPosts: 1,715Gear list
Like?

Why not the new Sigma 19mm? It won't hold up edge to edge against a lens costing many time the price, but really seems like worth considering. Early reviews and images are just now becoming available.

I've a Zeiss 21mm f/4.5c 'M' mount Biogon, which you definitely don't want. It is wonderful on film. Stay away from the Biogons.

Gary H's gear list:Gary H's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +10 more
Jabberwockt
Regular MemberPosts: 120
Like?

The Olympus 21 us quite usable, the only drawback is the contrast is less than most Zeiss lenses

davect01
Senior MemberPosts: 4,005
Like?

21mm is an odd size. Any reason only this particular focal length?

I had a really nice 28mm Minolta that I really liked, till it got dropped and scratched up.
--
Novice photobug, proud NEX-3 owner
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

Emacs23
Regular MemberPosts: 427Gear list
Like?

You tried distagon 21. The biogon is much smaller (and just as sharp).

Emacs23's gear list:Emacs23's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Leica Super-Elmar-M 18mm f/3.8 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +3 more
laurihoefs
Regular MemberPosts: 102Gear list
Like?
In reply to davect01, Mar 31, 2012

It's not an odd focal length for a rangefinder lens.

And RF-lenses offer one advantage over SLR-lenses: size. The lenses themselves are not necessary that much smaller, but they are designed for smaller flange distances, thus the adapters are much smaller and the lens with the adapter protrudes a lot less from the camera.

For example, a Canon FD 24mm and an adapter are 8cm, whereas a CV Color Skopar 35mm with an adapter is only a bit over 4cm. And the SLR lenses tend to be stubbier than equivalent RF lenses, so the size difference is significant.

davect01 wrote:

21mm is an odd size. Any reason only this particular focal length?

I had a really nice 28mm Minolta that I really liked, till it got dropped and scratched up.
--
Novice photobug, proud NEX-3 owner
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

laurihoefs's gear list:laurihoefs's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Alpha NEX-5N
cympoints
Like?
In reply to laurihoefs, Apr 1, 2012

Hi Gary H - looks like your experience with the ZM echo what some report says - that it is not suitable for NEX-5N. Looks like I have to drop the ZM and consider the other one - the CV. Thank you.

Hi mu55 - how does the CV21 perform on the NEX-5N in real life? Initially, I wasn't looking at the CV because I never had a Zeiss before and just thought of going for one As for the ZM21f4.5, the price is quite close to the 2.8 (tough decision) and speed is lower than the CV (so even tougher decision). Any thoughts to share?

Hi john-photoguy - you tried both f2.8 and f4.5 and they are not useable? Can you share a little more by what you meant? The Zeiss is pricey and I can't afford a "mistake". Thank you.

Hi jazzroy1972 & PontusB - thanks for the suggestions.I have the OM24f2.8 and its nice but it a bit long with the adapter since it is an SLR lens. That's why I am looking at an RF lens.

ekeroil
Regular MemberPosts: 272
Like?
In reply to cympoints, Apr 1, 2012

The CV21 is ace on the 5N, no colour shifts or anything. Slight vignetting and maybe some loss of sharpness (as with 90% of the wide angles out there). I'm very happy with the compact size and manual focus quality.

Some "landscape" tests:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ekeroil/sets/72157627571876829/

More interesting B&W high contrast shots:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ekeroil/sets/72157627770523154/

mu55
Like?
In reply to cympoints, Apr 1, 2012

In real life it does deliver - it's the right focal length for me, the f4 aperture is rarely an issue and it's sharp, contrast improves stopped down a little - I do like it, wish it focused closer (i unscrew it from the adapter to get closer focus - not ideal but works in a pinch)

The image quality from the 12mm and 35mm is better, but it's a VERY close call - the 12mm is pretty amazing on the 5n
--

Ricoh GR Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +6 more
cympoints
Like?
In reply to mu55, Apr 2, 2012

Hi ekeroil, thanks for posting and nice shots. Referring to the color landscape test pictures, those are straight out of camera without any post processing? They look mighty fine!

Hi mu55, thanks for sharing. I have the LTM version of the CV15 and was using the Metabones adapter. I just ordered the Hawk's ver 2.5 helicoid adapter that will help with close focusing BTW, not sure if I should spring for the 12mm also?

Another advice or opinion needed: I am currently using an OM 24f2.8 and one of the reason for considering the 21mm is to have a wider "normal" lens to use. The OM24f2.8 is great (althought a big long with the OM-NEX adapter, unlike the CV) but the equivalent full frame focal length is 36mm - felt a little bit narrow. I was thinking of getting the 21mm lens that will end up wider at equivalent FF focal length of 31.5mm.

Is this (getting the 21 when I already have a 24) a good or worthwhile thing to do? Worthwhile to spend money to have equivalent FL of 31.5 when I have the 36?

Thanks for any opinion.

mu55
Like?
In reply to cympoints, Apr 2, 2012

If you already have the 15 (22mm eqv) and find it wide enough then don't worry about the 12mm (18mm eqv) I wanted to be able to shoot interiors with it was well so i needed the extra wideness

I was using an OM21mm f3.5 before getting the CV21mm - so i actually doubled up on focal length - it was the size that got me, the OM with the adapter was just too big - that and my 21mm has some marks on the front element, might be growing fungus and the focusing band has come loose

-- hide signature --

RussellInCincinnati
Senior MemberPosts: 3,194
Like?
a practically free lens if you don't need speed or autofocus
In reply to cympoints, Apr 3, 2012

Have you checked out the Alpha mount 18-55 plastic zoom at 18 through 28mm focal length? Photozone has.

It's autofocus on the Alpha DSLRs and with the $330 dollar Nex LAEA2 adapter, but works great with manual focus on the Nex $130 dollar LAEA1 adapter.

It's performance is excellent, the lens weighs maybe 220 grams, and my unused copy cost $41 dollars on e.bay. And Sony is continuing to crank out hundreds of thousands of them.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads