Learning curve on the 7D coming from the 20d lol

Started Mar 31, 2012 | Discussions
Cheryl Meisel
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,021
Like?
Learning curve on the 7D coming from the 20d lol
Mar 31, 2012

Ok you have helped me pick the type of new camera I want, (I think the 7D) but coming from the 20D I am a bit worried about this learning curve. I mean it is going to be to hard for me to get used to?

As you can see I am one of those that hold on to their cameras so this choice of camera needs to last for me. I don't have mega bucks to spend on cameras. So I really studied the cameras. I was going to get a 5D mark ll but was told my 10-22 lens would not work on it and I LOVE THAT lens. I was also told here that I need MORE expensive glass then what I have and use so that did it for me NO 5D Mark ll. So you led me to the 60D or 7D. I think I would like the 7D more but really FEAR the learning curve. Heck I was just getting used to my 20d lol.

I have been caring for my mother who passed away for years now and haven't been able to go shoot but now I can and wanted a more MP camera (simply for cropping). My favorite lens is the 70-300 is, with a second to the 10-22. I also own
100 macro
400mm 5.6
50 mm 1.8
60 mm macro

Now I need to know if I can handle this learning curve of the 7D. I know it's kind of hard for you to tell me that but maybe you can tell me just how hard this is going to be lol.
Thanks Cheryl
--
Cherylm
'You can observe a lot just by watching'

http://www.pbase.com/cherylm

Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Karl Gnter Wnsch
Forum ProPosts: 10,868Gear list
Like?
Re: Learning curve on the 7D coming from the 20d lol
In reply to Cheryl Meisel, Mar 31, 2012

Cheryl Meisel wrote:

Now I need to know if I can handle this learning curve of the 7D.

It's not too hard, just let go of old habits:

• Don't use the center focusing point only - on the 7D the rest is probably as capable if nor more than the center focusing point on the 20D ever was.

• When tracking don't use a single point only - turn on all or at least a zone, it makes tracking a whole new, quite enjoyable experience...

• Don't fiddle too much with exposure compensation - the iFCL matrix metering really works as a subject metering. It does't rely on a comparison database, instead it uses the whole set of AF points to determine where your subject is located and uses that to weigh the metering zones. This is much much more reliable than the 20D metering system, you only need to override if your subject is deviating too much from middle gray.

-- hide signature --

regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list:Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ScratchDisk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,758
Like?
In reply to Karl Gnter Wnsch, Mar 31, 2012

Agree!

But when not tracking, don't let the cam choose the focus points. It too readily chooses the closest. Tell it what to do.

To Cheryl, go for it - but perhaps handle one first - it's not especially light weight. I still really enjoy my 20D as back up to my 7D. Cheers

Grogly
Contributing MemberPosts: 558Gear list
Like?
I made the same move...

from 20D to the 7D last summer. I really found no learning curve as long as you shoot like you did with the 20D. There are lots of new features to try but in the end, I use the 7D much like I used the 20D. I suppose others would say that I am a Luddite but, my feeling is go with what you are used to.

I do use the zone focusing when AI servo but not much else. Results are as I expect, great camera but so was the 20D. They are way better tools than I am a shooter.

Good luck with your new 7D.

-- hide signature --

Rod,
Photographic hack since 1969.

Samples of my favorite images can be found here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/grogley/collections/72157600201558641/

Grogly's gear list:Grogly's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +9 more
iMacdaddy
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
Re: I made the same move...
In reply to Grogly, Mar 31, 2012

The learning curve isn't too bad. I just came from a Rebel XT to a 7D. I read the manual twice. Watched a instructional 7D dvd. Now I am half way through a 7D book by David Busch. Lots of differences but its still just a camera. Take your time and have fun. Go for it.

Calliope
Contributing MemberPosts: 984Gear list
Like?
Re: I made the same move...
In reply to iMacdaddy, Mar 31, 2012

Cheryl, I bought a 7D last summer as my first camera and have absolutely no regrets. Get a good field guide, take the time to learn all the settings and you will be thrilled with what the 7D can capture. Absolutely learn how move the focus points around to where you want them. I spent way too much time letting the camera choose and still laugh at some of the bizarre choices it made. There is some great advice to be had here that will make it easy for you to learn the camera. I wish I had found this forum much sooner. I still have a long way to go but am having a wonderful time learning. The 7D has exceeded my expectations beyond belief. I never thought I would be able to stand in my backyard and get shots like this one. Color me happy!

Calliope's gear list:Calliope's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +4 more
tonyjr
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,156Gear list
Like?

I went to the 7D from the XTI .
I would say 99 % of people can not won't use everything on the 7D .
Do not worry about it . ISO , F-stops and speed are better .
Don not let the books scare you . There is stuff in them you will never use .
--
1st it's a hobby
7D gripped XTI gripped
Canon - efs 10-22 , 17-55 , ef 18-55 IS
EF 28-90 , 28 @ 2.8 , 35 2 , 50 @1.8 , 50 1.4 , 28-135 IS
L's 35-350 , 70-200 MK II IS
Quantaray lens 70-300 macro
Sigma 135 - 400 , 180 MACRO
2X III , Life Size converter
KSM filters for all
kenko auto tubes , EF 25

tonyjr's gear list:tonyjr's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +14 more
The_cheshirecat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,169Gear list
Like?

Yes, there is a learning curve, but it also depends on your style of shooting. If you have a sound grasp of the principles of photography, are willing to take the time to learn the features and user adjustable controls the 7D offers, combining them is not a huge obstacle. And don’t worry it has all the “old” controls too.

I got my 7D when they were first released. Virtually all the complaints were associated with stopping fast action, especially BIFs. I recall one post complaining all his BIFs were OOF on his first outing, using the exact same settings he used before. He also admitted he didn’t read the manual, taking it out the same day he received it and shot something like 500 snaps. He refused to acknowledge some of the new user configurable settings (e.g. tracking speed) could affect his results. Later (if I recall correctly) he worked with a friend to who understood these things, and was eventually very happy with his new acquisition.

Coming from a 450D, I took time to read teh manual before tking it out, made some initial settings, and it worked fine. As I learned more of how and how much these things impacted my results, I tweaked them and never had teh problems many of of the others.

And if all else fails, it still displays the green box on the dial

-- hide signature --

I started in the 50's - my first picture was taken with a Leica and hooked me for life. I no longer use my Leicas, but I am still taking pictures. Some things never change.

The_cheshirecat's gear list:The_cheshirecat's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 600mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +1 more
Cheryl Meisel
Like?
Re: Yeah you could pretty much call me BALISTIC
In reply to Calliope, Mar 31, 2012

to even have this bird in my backyard lol much less to shoot it. COOL!
--
Cherylm

Cheryl Meisel
Like?
Re: Thanks everyone so much I feel a bit BETTER :) n/t
-- hide signature --

Cherylm

Jerry-astro
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,291Gear list
Like?
Lovely
In reply to Calliope, Mar 31, 2012

Wow, you've come a long way in a few weeks. Really nice work. Just caught the first of the Rufous hummers in my backyard yesterday and today and got a really lovely male perched nearby (hopefully not taking this thread too far offtrack).

To the OP: there is a bit of an adjustment period and learning curve, but as you get used to the camera, you'll wonder why you didn't make the move earlier. Go for it!

Calliope wrote:

Cheryl, I bought a 7D last summer as my first camera and have absolutely no regrets. Get a good field guide, take the time to learn all the settings and you will be thrilled with what the 7D can capture. Absolutely learn how move the focus points around to where you want them. I spent way too much time letting the camera choose and still laugh at some of the bizarre choices it made. There is some great advice to be had here that will make it easy for you to learn the camera. I wish I had found this forum much sooner. I still have a long way to go but am having a wonderful time learning. The 7D has exceeded my expectations beyond belief. I never thought I would be able to stand in my backyard and get shots like this one. Color me happy!

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12
TimR32225
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,101Gear list
Like?
Re: Thanks everyone so much I feel a bit BETTER :) n/t
In reply to Cheryl Meisel, Apr 1, 2012

All the talk of steep learning curves is way overblown, imho.

I would say the number of learning curve complaints is inversely proportional to the number of people who have bothered to read the manual.

If you have a sound understanding of photography, there is really not much of a learning curve at all. You just need to learn which settings do what.

After shooting with a 10d for 2 years, I bought a 1D Mark 2N in 2005. I heard all the same talk from folks about the 'steep learning curve' on 1-series bodies. There were a lot of features on the 1-series that the 10d didn't have, but it was easy to learn the new features and start using them. I didn't find it difficult at all, and I was all giggly learning all the stuff the new camera could do that my 10d could not.

Because I got spoiled by the speed and responsiveness of the Mk2N, I soon purchased a 40d to be my new backup camera because the 10d was so slow. When the 7d came out, I replaced the 40d with the 7d because I wanted a backup camera that was closer in speed to my main body and one that could actually track a moving subjects effectively.

The 7d is really not that complicated. There are a few custom settings you may have to look at closely to decide how you want to set them, but you can always get help in forums like this if you find there is something you don't understand.

I think you'll love the 7d when coming from a 20d. The 20d was faster than my original camera (10d) but still very slow compared to today's camera bodies.

Have fun with it! Good luck!

-- hide signature --
 TimR32225's gear list:TimR32225's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM +11 more
andrewsf
Contributing MemberPosts: 532Gear list
Like?
In reply to Cheryl Meisel, Apr 1, 2012

It's a piece of cake. Run a thousand shots through it, changing settings one at a time and see what they all do.

Other than the AF and AE it's much the same I reckon. If you have good technique on your old cam then it will carry through to the 7D.

For my preference with fast moving stuff, I have tweaked the AF so AI Servo Sensitivity is set to +1 or sometimes +2 if there's not likely to be anything getting in my way and the AF Point is manual Select, AF Point Expansion. This works pretty good for me in low light, high speed subjects. It tracks really well.

When shooting portrait I use spot AF on an eyeball or object of interest.

Cheers
--
http://www.andrewfordphoto.com/
http://flickr.com/photos/andrew_ford

andrewsf's gear list:andrewsf's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +1 more
R2D2
Forum ProPosts: 14,752Gear list
Like?
Re: Lovely
In reply to Jerry-astro, Apr 1, 2012

+1 Beautiful hummer!!!

Jerry-astro wrote:

Wow, you've come a long way in a few weeks. Really nice work.

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.

http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 70D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads