Re: Samsung NX 20 Announced
In reply to d2friis, Mar 31, 2012
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,329Gear list
Like?

It is interesting that they are being specific about April delivery plus the exclamation mark! It looks like Samsung are making an effort to get the camera rolling quickly after announcement and the retailer must be confident if they care about their reputation. This is not the normal pre-order announcement.

d2friis wrote:

Yes this is probably the first real announcement:

http://www.camera.ie/products/samsung-nx-20-kit

Greynerd's gear list:Greynerd's gear list
Olympus TG-310 Samsung EX2F Pentax X-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +6 more
tecnoworld
Senior MemberPosts: 4,097Gear list
Like?

the indicated price would be way too high for me. I gues it'll drop in the 650-700€ soon after it's out, since at 950€ it competes directly with Fuji and NEX7, that have better marketing behind, and are more "felt" by potential customers.

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +11 more
tjobbe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,187Gear list
Like?
In reply to tecnoworld, Mar 31, 2012

tecnoworld wrote:

the indicated price would be way too high for me. I gues it'll drop in the 650-700€ soon after it's out, since at 950€ it competes directly with Fuji and NEX7, that have better marketing behind, and are more "felt" by potential customers.

Normally, distributors do get the product info time ahead to get them into their catalogue in time so I believe that we get them on display latest during that 26th-29th trade show in Seoul

That price tag is that 100Euro on top of the suggested retail price of the NX200 Kit so the question is still if that 949 includes a kit zoom or not.

my guess is that it could include a standard 18-55.

The NEX7 incl Kit is around 1300 here and the Fuji as Body only at 1600 so I do see the price gap big enough to not think about those as alternatives (which they will never be for me anyway being left eye shooter)

tjobbe's gear list:tjobbe's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX30 Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +18 more
Greynerd
Like?

I am not sure that it will drop quickly. I think Samsung will want to take on Sony and Fuji directly, especially the latter whose reputation is pretty tarnished at the moment. Samsung seem to be in much better financial condition than Sony who are talking about exiting a lot of manufacturing. I am sure Samsung can be patient and hold the price up if the quality is good. Do not forget that whilst Sony's marketing is sucessful it is not efficient as they have not really been able to afford the money they have thrown at it; behind the gloss is a very big loss.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16849371

tecnoworld wrote:

Olympus TG-310 Samsung EX2F Pentax X-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +6 more
tjobbe
Like?
In reply to Greynerd, Mar 31, 2012

Greynerd wrote:

I am not sure that it will drop quickly.

agree here, it won't based on the experience with the NX200. I would believe it stays close to that SRP for at least 3-6 months before you can see special offers.

So if you want to get it early you most likely have to pay the full price or buy one returned at amazon warehouse or wait until end of year sale will put pressure on price.

Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX30 Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +18 more
Kuturgan
Regular MemberPosts: 493Gear list
Like?
In reply to jj74e, Mar 31, 2012

NX 20 !!!
Wow, these specs make me really excited :

• shutter speed is 1/8000 and 8fps (full resolution)

• WiFi Direct (remote control by your smartphone)

• custom mode C on the main dial

• first shutter curtain is a electronic

• ISO 100 – 12800 with a excellent response at ISO 6400

• excellent EVF

• swivable screen (like in EX1)

• video FullHD

• direct controls : measure exposure mode, direct record button, EV, AEL, Fn, AF, ISO, Shutter mode

• 2 selector wheels just like NX100.

And all that stuff is cheaper than NEX-7 and X1-Pro!
I can't wait to get it. Very good news from Samsung

Kuturgan's gear list:Kuturgan's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8
tecnoworld
Like?
In reply to tjobbe, Mar 31, 2012

the nx200 now can be had for less than 480 euro with the 20-50, here in Europe.

the price gap with the nx20 is too huge! 200 euro can be a nice difference, not more imho.

Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +11 more
tjobbe
Like?

tecnoworld wrote:

the price gap with the nx20 is too huge! 200 euro can be a nice difference, not more imho.

and you still do not get the NX200 with 18-55 below 600 . I would not use the NX200 with the 20-50

You might be ok to speculate for an NX20 target price of 700 Euro but you might only get there either when a more sophisticated model as the rumored NX1 is released to have some room for price uplift there or at roughly 6month after market intro....

tecnoworld
Like?

if that price stands still, then they'll sell so few nx20 that it won't almost be known, like it was for the nx10 in the first 6 months

Greynerd
Like?

That would not augur well for the future of NX as presumably Samsung need to recoup their development costs at some stage. If the NX brand cannot have some degree of premium price early take up then this puts them at a considerable disadvantage to the opposition.

tecnoworld wrote:

if that price stands still, then they'll sell so few nx20 that it won't almost be known, like it was for the nx10 in the first 6 months

Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 17,557
Like?
In reply to jj74e, Mar 31, 2012

jj74e wrote:

hardly an official announcement.

here's the latest info:

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/new-info-about-the-upcoming-new-samsung-nx20-wifi-direct-better-high-iso/

Some are going to absolutely love it, but that lolly on a stick swing out lcd is going to bother me. Loved the EX1 but that silly "out there" lcd was a real bother. Great for videographers and an occasional "trick" shot but for practical photography it will stay folded flat most of the time. At least I suppose it can be better protected folded inwards and the evf used instead with larger lenses. Almost could warm to it. Except for flip around every time you wanted to use it. Hardly works a treat for waist level shots (you CAN do it) but over the shoulder or sideways? Great stuff.

So nice for a trick shot, quite crazy if used constantly as many will do - fold it flat inwards when not in use and folded way out there somewhere for serious level concentration otherwise when in use. No wonder some still prefer the big bright ovf for serious photography.

Me? I love a good evf and seamless transition from rough framing on a fixed lcd back to final imaging using the evf all done easily with an eye switch. I guess I got my wish and others have got theirs - all for a little more bulk and weight.

Those with folded out lcd screens on occasions when a folded back screen would do nicely are not going to really raise the image of the NX20 as a serious camera. But then I guess some Canon's do this already. Flip out lcd's work much better when they are small and less well proportionally the larger they get. My opinion only, feel free to disagree.

My small rugged simple staight-forward NX10 classic sure is looking good.

Might wait for the NXWhatever RF clone with fixed rear lcd.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Tom Caldwell
Like?

Greynerd wrote:

It is interesting that they are being specific about April delivery plus the exclamation mark! It looks like Samsung are making an effort to get the camera rolling quickly after announcement and the retailer must be confident if they care about their reputation. This is not the normal pre-order announcement.

d2friis wrote:

Yes this is probably the first real announcement:

http://www.camera.ie/products/samsung-nx-20-kit

Yes it is a pre-order. Just not worded that way.

Ask for one and they will put your name on a list. That is pre-order in any language.

In stock? Hardly. Pictures of the real thing? Embargo or they haven't been given any.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Tom Caldwell
Like?

tecnoworld wrote:

Is it a better camera than the Fuji and NEX7? If so it is worth the money.

So better marketing drives the price up?

I guess "low-price" is the best marketing tool of the lot and Samsung has always played that card and now lives to regret it now that they are trying to get an image of "quality brand". Double the price, sell half as many and they will be better off and get the image of exclusiveness .... hmmm only kidding.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Tom Caldwell
Like?

tjobbe wrote:

tecnoworld wrote:

and you still do not get the NX200 with 18-55 below 600 . I would not use the NX200 with the 20-50

You might be ok to speculate for an NX20 target price of 700 Euro but you might only get there either when a more sophisticated model as the rumored NX1 is released to have some room for price uplift there or at roughly 6month after market intro....

Ah hah! wait for the NX1. The NX20 price will come down meantime, then you can choose which one to buy.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Tom Caldwell
Like?

Greynerd wrote:

I am not sure that it will drop quickly. I think Samsung will want to take on Sony and Fuji directly, especially the latter whose reputation is pretty tarnished at the moment. Samsung seem to be in much better financial condition than Sony who are talking about exiting a lot of manufacturing. I am sure Samsung can be patient and hold the price up if the quality is good. Do not forget that whilst Sony's marketing is sucessful it is not efficient as they have not really been able to afford the money they have thrown at it; behind the gloss is a very big loss.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16849371

tecnoworld wrote:

I guess getting it in every shop requires a big margin to retailers, promoting it to make sure they sell it costs megabucks. Selling huge numbers on small margins is necessary to make profits unless you are simply buying market share and figure that the loss is worth it.

The digital camera market must be peaking and maturing. Surely half the world might have already stopped updating their cameras regularly already. Keeping the other half inside your marketing plan before they give up as well might be the trick of staying in the mass sales digital camera business in the next five years.

Thinking that all camera manufacturers can continue to sell cameras cheaply at a loss to keep consumers wedded to their digital camera replacement habit is wishful thinking on the consumer's part.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Tom Caldwell
Like?
The price - the real deal

Greynerd wrote:

That would not augur well for the future of NX as presumably Samsung need to recoup their development costs at some stage. If the NX brand cannot have some degree of premium price early take up then this puts them at a considerable disadvantage to the opposition.

tecnoworld wrote:

I guess that they just have to outlast their oposition. Samsung are a huge diversified company and don't have all their eggs in the electronic goods or digital camera basket.

Funny how the words flow - just as the NEX7 was eagerly awaited, hardly had it been announced than it was castigated over it's initial asking price and compared to end of the model run-out NEX5 prices. Sony anticipated this flak to a certain extent with the NEX5N.

Now the NX20 is on the launching pad and immediately it is decided as "too expensive". Surely they will sell enough to early adopters to make sure that supply = initial demand. If it were priced more cheaply demand would be huge and then we would complain on lack of supply, none to be seen in shops unsold and, by inference, Samsung as a camera company would be assumed to be "in trouble".

And of course, myself included, we would all be waiting for further price reductions from the original launch price as in the usual course of things. Seems like a recipe for marketing disaster.

So those panting to buy one would be best to take their own advice and stand aside for those less concerned (over price) to lead the stampede to own and enjoy the new camera. Common sense says wait awhile for that better price. Samsung surely would be stupid to throw away the nice little earner from early adopters less concerned about a bargain and more concerned with reasonable market price to get their hands on one "right now".

So opening price is not the issue, it is more "how long before it reaches the discounted price I am prepared to pay?" More like just a few months before the NX30 arrives. Grin.

What price a NX10/11 right now? What demand for one? They used to be, and still are, a fine camera.

The real deal is of course, that products start priced high and depending on demand the price is reduced to make sure warehouses are cleared before the new model arrives. If it is as good as excitedly discussed then there will be no need to reduce prices until the product is on the point of being obsoleted. Catch 22 - get the very latest at the asking price or buy it as obsolete at a cracking good price. It is a free market choice.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

tkpenalty
Regular MemberPosts: 440
Like?
Re: The price - the real deal
In reply to Tom Caldwell, Mar 31, 2012

Samsung need to market this aggressively. Show that it spanks a NEX7... the NX200 does that now but they didn't get that message across.

jj74e
Senior MemberPosts: 1,633
Like?
In reply to Tom Caldwell, Apr 1, 2012

Tom Caldwell wrote:

jj74e wrote:

hardly an official announcement....

Some are going to absolutely love it, but that lolly on a stick swing out lcd is going to bother me. Loved the EX1 but that silly "out there" lcd was a real bother. Great for videographers and an occasional "trick" shot but for practical photography it will stay folded flat most of the time. At least I suppose it can be better protected folded...

I don't get why people think an articulated screen is bad for durability. If you hit or drop the camera hard enough to break the hinge, you've probably hit or dropped it hard enough to do some damage to the body or screen even if it was fixed. To me, an articulated screen just means more shooting flexibility; you say "trick" shot like it's a trivial play toy feature, but it's more practical than that, e.g. shooting over a crowd or from the ground for perspective with the screen in clear view is a great help, and videography appeal is a big deal since a lot of people are looking at mirrorless cams these days for video solutions.

As far as price goes, honestly that website looks sketchy to me, and I highly doubt Samsung would release official information to just one store. To say if it's too expensive or not already without even knowing the camera just shows that even among Samsung users, the preconception that they're a bargain dump of a camera brand still exists, even after the NX200 was highly reviewed and its major buffering flaw seems to be fixed in the NX20. But again, to say so many things without knowing the camera first is a bit preemptive; just wait for the actual product before getting heated up by a price on a website that might not even be real.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads