My OM-D is noisy!

Started Mar 31, 2012 | Discussions
Bob Meyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,361Gear list
Like?
Not your call to decide if it's a "problem"
In reply to Andy Westlake, Apr 1, 2012

Ii think whether it's a problem is up to each potential buyer to decide, not for you to decide. Problem or not, it's an unusual situation that no other camera seems to present. If DPR was aware of it at the time the preview was written, it should have been mentioned. Not doing so makes people wonder why it wasn't, and gives rise to speculation you're covering for the manufacturers who provide you with free cameras to review.

Andy Westlake wrote:

nxp3 wrote:

This is what I'm afraid of, a product that's praised by all reviewers. Tested extensively. No one mention of any problem including some annoying problem. Users gets the product and can see something is off right away. Sure this is not a big problem or a show stopper, but it should have been caught and reported by DPReview or anyone calling themselves camera reviewer.

On a technicality, 1) we haven't published anything about the E-M5 that's labelled as a review, and 2) this isn't a problem.

-- hide signature --

Andy Westlake
dpreview.com

-- hide signature --

Bokeh is the aesthetic quality of the blur in out-of-focus areas of an image, or the way the lens renders out-of-focus points of light. Bokeh is not the same as depth of field (DOF).

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CharlesTokyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 704Gear list
Like?
Re: Oh, you're right. Still there slightly. Present in video.
In reply to Chris_in_Osaka, Apr 1, 2012

I think the noise in the recording is more likely from noisy circuits. It's so quiet I don't believe the mics can pick it up.

CharlesTokyo's gear list:CharlesTokyo's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +22 more
notRag
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?
In reply to CharlesTokyo, Apr 1, 2012

NitPickers..what a shame.. nothing else to do.. picking the Fly Sh.t out of the Honey..

the first thing they look for is the negative.. what a life they must live. I feel for them.. do they think Oly would release a camera like this with problems..? NO WAY..
DGO

notRag
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?
Re: My OM-D is noisy!

So is your brain..
DGO

Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 27,529Gear list
Like?
NotRag Not Read.
In reply to notRag, Apr 1, 2012

Chris_in_Osaka wrote:

As I posted before, I picked up my OM-D this morning.

The batteries are charged and am now trying it out.

Here is what I notice right off the bat. My OM-D has a constant electrical hum. Kind of like a hard drive, fan, or O.I.S. stabilization system.

It's not the new lens since I've switched it to another and the hum continues. Switched off the I.S. and still noise.

Any ideas?

notRag wrote:
So is your brain..

[sigh]

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +21 more
Chris_in_Osaka
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,799Gear list
Like?
Oh please....

Posting a comment about people with "nothing else to do"?

Glad you took time out of your busy schedule for that.

notRag wrote:

NitPickers..what a shame.. nothing else to do.. picking the Fly Sh.t out of the Honey..

the first thing they look for is the negative.. what a life they must live. I feel for them.. do they think Oly would release a camera like this with problems..? NO WAY..
DGO

-- hide signature --

Canon 5D Mark II, 24-105mm L, 70-200mm f/4L IS, EF, 100mm f2, Tokina 16-28mm f2.8.
Olympus E-PL3, 14-42mm II, 17mm, 45mm f1.8.
Ricoh GR-D
Sony DSC-V3 (used for IR)

Chris_in_Osaka's gear list:Chris_in_Osaka's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
lowincash
Contributing MemberPosts: 713
Like?

I'm not saying I don't agree with you, but I think this "humming" issue is being blown out of proportions lol

notRag wrote:

DGO

-- hide signature --

I only shoot JPEG =]

Joe Franek
Senior MemberPosts: 1,310Gear list
Like?
Re: Not your call to decide if it's a "problem"
In reply to Bob Meyer, Apr 1, 2012

Fully agree with you, Bob, and hope that DPR will in future pay more attention to practical issues like this.

Imagine a cupboard full of bodies and lenses, each humming their own way and me recharging batteries full time.

Bob Meyer wrote:

Ii think whether it's a problem is up to each potential buyer to decide, not for you to decide. Problem or not, it's an unusual situation that no other camera seems to present. If DPR was aware of it at the time the preview was written, it should have been mentioned. Not doing so makes people wonder why it wasn't, and gives rise to speculation you're covering for the manufacturers who provide you with free cameras to review.

Andy Westlake wrote:

nxp3 wrote:

This is what I'm afraid of, a product that's praised by all reviewers. Tested extensively. No one mention of any problem including some annoying problem. Users gets the product and can see something is off right away. Sure this is not a big problem or a show stopper, but it should have been caught and reported by DPReview or anyone calling themselves camera reviewer.

On a technicality, 1) we haven't published anything about the E-M5 that's labelled as a review, and 2) this isn't a problem.

-- hide signature --

Andy Westlake
dpreview.com

-- hide signature --

Bokeh is the aesthetic quality of the blur in out-of-focus areas of an image, or the way the lens renders out-of-focus points of light. Bokeh is not the same as depth of field (DOF).

Lights
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,405Gear list
Like?
Re: Question?

Does anyone know....is the EVF stabilization on all the time...or is it dependent on the sensor stabilization? Does the EVF when say shooting with a long lens and the sensor IS turned off, do you still get stabilization when the shot is magnified in the viewfinder? Might tell us something? If there is an independent system for the EVF.
--
http://www.pbase.com/madlights
http://barriolson.aminus3.com/

Like the Joker said: Why so serious?

A photo may be worth a thousand words but it takes up a lot more space on your hard drive.

Rob13
Senior MemberPosts: 1,116Gear list
Like?
Well, my hearing ....
In reply to Bob Tullis, Apr 1, 2012

...may not be as acute as yours....

But, I really do need to put the camera up to my ear to really hear the gyros, if that's what the sound is...

In a quiet room (no TV, no Music, no Air-con, no electric fans), I really do need to strain my ears and then I can hear it, especially if I turn off the power, I can tell the difference, that its off. But I'm really straining. I should warn you I'm 55 years old so my hearing may not be as good as yours.

Its doesn't bother me, but I guess I don't have super sensitive hearing. In my opinion, its a non-issue.

For myself, I'm too busy enjoying my new toy. My only complaint is that it would have been great if Oly could have managed to fit the fill flash in the same sized package. But thats just me. I hated clipping on the EVF to my E-P3, so now the company has blessed me with the clip on fill flash. That's ok, as I don't use flash often at all.

-- hide signature --

Best,
Rob
------------------------------------
M9 X100 GXR E-P3 DP2

Rob13's gear list:Rob13's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Samsung Galaxy S4 Sony Xperia ZR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads