My OM-D is noisy!

Started Mar 31, 2012 | Discussions
Chris_in_Osaka
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,799Gear list
Like?
My OM-D is noisy!
Mar 31, 2012

As I posted before, I picked up my OM-D this morning.

The batteries are charged and am now trying it out.

Here is what I notice right off the bat. My OM-D has a constant electrical hum. Kind of like a hard drive, fan, or O.I.S. stabilization system.

It's not the new lens since I've switched it to another and the hum continues. Switched off the I.S. and still noise.

Any ideas?

-- hide signature --

Canon 5D Mark II, 24-105mm L, 70-200mm f/4L IS, EF, 100mm f2, Tokina 16-28mm f2.8.
Olympus E-PL3, 14-42mm II, 17mm, 45mm f1.8.
Ricoh GR-D
Sony DSC-V3 (used for IR)

Chris_in_Osaka's gear list:Chris_in_Osaka's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
Amin Sabet
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,709Gear list
Like?
Re: My OM-D is noisy!
In reply to Chris_in_Osaka, Mar 31, 2012
 Amin Sabet's gear list:Amin Sabet's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Leica M Typ 240 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cmorse
Regular MemberPosts: 497Gear list
Like?

In another thread someone was told at the store they bought it from that the sound was coming from some sort of stabilization in the EVF.

cmorse's gear list:cmorse's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +3 more
CharlesTokyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 704Gear list
Like?

I have it too, but I didn't even notice it at first, or even consider it worth commenting on if it hadn't been brought up here first. I don't consider it an issue at all, do you?

CharlesTokyo's gear list:CharlesTokyo's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +22 more
ayt
ayt
Contributing MemberPosts: 698Gear list
Like?
In reply to CharlesTokyo, Mar 31, 2012

it isn't an issue IMO... just something unexpected and I wanted to confirm it wasn't a malfunctioning unit or lemon.

charging up the batteries and looking forward to possibly some tests in the rain.

ayt's gear list:ayt's gear list
Sigma DP2 Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-620 +37 more
Chris_in_Osaka
Like?
Thanks, I'll also check there. (nt)
In reply to Amin Sabet, Mar 31, 2012
-- hide signature --

Canon 5D Mark II, 24-105mm L, 70-200mm f/4L IS, EF, 100mm f2, Tokina 16-28mm f2.8.
Ricoh GR-D

Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
Chris_in_Osaka
Like?

CharlesTokyo wrote:

I have it too, but I didn't even notice it at first, or even consider it worth commenting on if it hadn't been brought up here first. I don't consider it an issue at all, do you?

I'm sitting in a quiet room and am finding it to be quite noticeable. It never goes away, even if I'm changing settings in the menu, the sound is there. It's constant.

-- hide signature --

Ricoh GR-D

Chris_in_Osaka
Like?
Gyro?
In reply to ayt, Mar 31, 2012

ayt wrote:

it isn't an issue IMO... just something unexpected and I wanted to confirm it wasn't a malfunctioning unit or lemon.

charging up the batteries and looking forward to possibly some tests in the rain.

If it's a lemon, then we've all got lemons!

To me it sounds like the kind of Gyro sound I get from my Canon 70-200mm f4L lens with I.S. on, which bites when doing video with only the camera's mic.

I hope there is a way to shut it off. If not... Oly firmware developers take note .

-- hide signature --

Ricoh GR-D

Vlad S
Senior MemberPosts: 3,089Gear list
Like?
Wonder whether the reviewers had the noise

Chris_in_Osaka wrote:

Here is what I notice right off the bat. My OM-D has a constant electrical hum. Kind of like a hard drive, fan, or O.I.S. stabilization system.

Does it get recorded in video?

I would ask one (or several) of the early reviewers about the noise - whether they have noticed it.

Vlad

Vlad S's gear list:Vlad S's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
Brian Mosley
Forum ProPosts: 20,404Gear list
Like?
EVF stabilization fiasco!

Is there an option to switch off EVF stabilisation?

Cheers

Brian
--
Join our free worldwide support network here :
http://www.ukphotosafari.org/join-the-ukpsg/
UK, Peak District Local Olympus Safari Group : http://snipurl.com/bqtd7-ukpsg
Keep up with me here : http://twitter.com/alert_bri

Brian Mosley's gear list:Brian Mosley's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Jonas B
Forum ProPosts: 14,596
Like?
Re: EVF stabilization fiasco!
In reply to Brian Mosley, Mar 31, 2012

Brian Mosley wrote:

Why would there be an "EVF" stabilization?

I used to shoot Pentax for a couple of years. Their IBIS is also based on magnetic control of the sensor stabilization. That's different from a motorized system (as Minolta/Sony and earlier Olympus models) as it has to work also when the stabilization is turned off; the magnets has to keep the sensor assembly in its right position. A motorized system just need to have the motors turned off.

The Pentax K10D made a clonky sound when turned off - that was the magnets dropping the sensor.

I wonder if the Olympus new IBIS system make this noise all the time as the magnet controls has to be turned on regardless of the IBIS setting.

If the camera is supposed to work this way I wonder why it hasn't been noticed by reviewers this far? Does it has any practical bearing on anything?

regards,

Jonas

Jun2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,212Gear list
Like?
Re: Wonder whether the reviewers had the noise
In reply to Vlad S, Mar 31, 2012

If noise gets recorded, that will be a problem for the video depending on the situation.

Vlad S wrote:

Chris_in_Osaka wrote:

Does it get recorded in video?

I would ask one (or several) of the early reviewers about the noise - whether they have noticed it.

Vlad

Jun2's gear list:Jun2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +6 more
Brian Mosley
Like?
Re: EVF stabilization fiasco!
In reply to Jonas B, Mar 31, 2012

Jonas B wrote:

Brian Mosley wrote:

Why would there be an "EVF" stabilization?

I don't know... Maybe a focus group request? It helps composing with long and macro lenses apparently.

I used to shoot Pentax for a couple of years. Their IBIS is also based on magnetic control of the sensor stabilization. That's different from a motorized system (as Minolta/Sony and earlier Olympus models) as it has to work also when the stabilization is turned off; the magnets has to keep the sensor assembly in its right position. A motorized system just need to have the motors turned off.

The Pentax K10D made a clonky sound when turned off - that was the magnets dropping the sensor.

I wonder if the Olympus new IBIS system make this noise all the time as the magnet controls has to be turned on regardless of the IBIS setting.

If the camera is supposed to work this way I wonder why it hasn't been noticed by reviewers this far? Does it has any practical bearing on anything?

Maybe the reviewers were focused on more obvious aspects.

Cheers

Brian
--

Olympus E-M1
kermitG9
Contributing MemberPosts: 701
Like?
I would consider it to be an issue if

CharlesTokyo wrote:

(assuming it is IBIS .. and leaving video out of the equation):

• it causes an unnecessary drain on the battery

• it causes the camera to overheat under hot temperatures (and hence, having negative impacts on the SNR of the sensor.. or worse, forcing the camera to shutdown)

Both are likely .. since it was one one of the main reasons (particularly my 2nd point) why IBIS was only switched on during the shot itself .. and not clear (yet) how Olympus worked around that issue.

Please keep reporting on this..

Thanks !

kiri
Senior MemberPosts: 1,288
Like?
Re: I would consider it to be an issue if
In reply to kermitG9, Mar 31, 2012

For me it is a non-issue at this point, but I will keep an eye on the issues you point out and see how it goes. I'll report back in a couple of days.

kermitG9 wrote:

CharlesTokyo wrote:

(assuming it is IBIS .. and leaving video out of the equation):

• it causes an unnecessary drain on the battery

• it causes the camera to overheat under hot temperatures (and hence, having negative impacts on the SNR of the sensor.. or worse, forcing the camera to shutdown)

Both are likely .. since it was one one of the main reasons (particularly my 2nd point) why IBIS was only switched on during the shot itself .. and not clear (yet) how Olympus worked around that issue.

Please keep reporting on this..

Thanks !

Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
How can you switch off the IS?

Chris_in_Osaka wrote:
ike a hard drive, fan, or O.I.S. stabilization system.

It's not the new lens since I've switched it to another and the hum continues. Switched off the I.S. and still noise.

Any ideas?

As far as I can see the IS will always have to be on, even if it isn't moving the sensor, to hold it steady. I'm not certain that's the case, I did try to ask about it, but I just got the usual bunch of ignoramii telling me that nothing Oly makes could ever go wrong and how wonderful IBIS is.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

dotborg
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,414
Like?
MEMS gyros

I'll bet that part of the IS system is MEMS gyroscopes ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibrating_structure_gyroscope ) and that's where the sound is coming from.

-- hide signature --
DrWu
Regular MemberPosts: 176
Like?

I find it strange that none of the early preview bodies that that were in circulation seemed to have that issue. For example here at least two Finnish photographers (whose opinion I trust a lot) had a chance to test and review OM-D for several days in various situations and also at home (not only at some noisy exhibition stand) and neither mentions that noise. It was the same body that they had so apparently that one did not make any irritating additional noise. I did not pay attention if Mr Wong mentioned it in his lenghty previews? But he was mostly shooting outdoors so one probably pays attention to it only in otherwise completely silent surroundings... or in the worst case something strange has happened in between.
P.

tommiejeep
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,716
Like?
Re: Wonder whether the reviewers had the noise
In reply to Vlad S, Mar 31, 2012

Vlad, I wonder how many of the reviews/first looks from the past were production models or if all were pre-production?
Cheers
--
Anticipate the Light and wing it when you get it wrong

Tom
http://taja.smugmug.com/

Brian Mosley
Like?
Re: How can you switch off the IS?
In reply to Louis_Dobson, Mar 31, 2012

Louis_Dobson wrote:
Chris_in_Osaka wrote:
ike a hard drive, fan, or O.I.S. stabilization system.

Any ideas?

As far as I can see the IS will always have to be on, even if it isn't moving the sensor, to hold it steady. I'm not certain that's the case, I did try to ask about it, but I just got the usual bunch of ignoramii telling me that nothing Oly makes could ever go wrong and how wonderful IBIS is.

Louis, this is the first time any Olympus camera has made a noise when the stabilisation system is inactive. When you asked about it, you were given the best guess based on previous experience and available information at that time - how does your interpretation read?

My guess at this time is, that stabilisation is continuing to run to stabilise the EVF - it may be possible to switch that off.

Cheers

Brian
--

Olympus E-M1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads