Lenses for Panasonic G1

Started Mar 30, 2012 | Discussions
maalbers
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Lenses for Panasonic G1
Mar 30, 2012

All,

I'am not a very experienced photographer, but I like my Panasonic G1 a lot. I use it mostly for some studiowork and architectural shoots. But I'am still using the standard kitlens (14-45mm) for all my photos.

I'm now looking to buy some more gear to be able to shoot in more different scenarios . So, first of all I like to buy a telelens with more zoom capabilities and maybe later on a more macrolens.

My questions:

• Which lenses are compatible with my camera?

• Which zoomlens can you recommend?

Regards Maarten.

Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,455Gear list
Like?
Re: Lenses for Panasonic G1
In reply to maalbers, Mar 30, 2012

maalbers wrote:

All,

I'am not a very experienced photographer, but I like my Panasonic G1 a lot. I use it mostly for some studiowork and architectural shoots. But I'am still using the standard kitlens (14-45mm) for all my photos.

I'm now looking to buy some more gear to be able to shoot in more different scenarios . So, first of all I like to buy a telelens with more zoom capabilities and maybe later on a more macrolens.

My questions:

Regards Maarten.

All lenses from micro 4/3 by Olympus and Panasonic Lumix, and with adapters they could use almost any lens

A good complement to the good 14-45mm is the 45-200mm, but if you like primes you have some very good and small, like the 12mm 14mm 17mm 20mm 45mm, this on both micro 4/3 brands

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hello world
Regular MemberPosts: 331
Like?

You can check lens compatibility here:
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/connect/g1.html

For the zoom... how much zoom above 45mm (90mm) you need? There's quite some choice, but due to the lack of IS on Oly lenses you better use a Panny.

As for zooms;
Panny 100-300mm
Panny 14-140mm
Panny 45-200mm
Panny 45-175mm

s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,140Gear list
Like?

maalbers wrote:

All,

My questions:

Regards Maarten.

Hi, Maarten. The link will lead you to a list of M43 lenses available today.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Camera+Mount+Type_4%2f3rd+Micro&ci=17912&N=4196380428+4292347245

Just one advice for you: for tele lens you have to buy Panasonic lenses and avoid Olympus. The reason is Image Stabilization that you need for tele lenses and can get only via Panasonic leses. All Olympus lenses do not have in-lens IS, they have in-camera stabilized sensor instead.

P.S. you can get many old legacy lenses which made for film cameras, just making them compatible via adapter, but do not rush, do research first
--
I’m surprised how much Wikipedia contributes to the forum.

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Ulfric M Douglas
Senior MemberPosts: 3,868
Like?

Although the "buy Panasonic" is a sensible hint, for the stabilisation, I can also recommend the

Olympus mZuiko 40-150

It is not expensive, optically good, and 150mm is fine (in my experience, on G1) for handheld in good light. Not many camerashake pictures, works well.

Fredrik Glckner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,325
Like?

I have written this "lens buyer's guide" for people who consider to buy more lenses for their Micro Four Thirds camera:

http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2011/09/lens-buyers-guide.html

If you want a tele lens, you basically have the choice between the:

A) Lumix G 45-200mm

B) Lumix X 45-175mm

C) Lumix G 100-300mm

(A) is the basic, value tele zoom lens. It is a good lens for the price.

(B) costs more, is more compact, and has slightly better optical qualities.

(C) is more of a specialized lens, for using with sport events, wildlife photography, and other cases where you need to photograph items far away. It is also a very good lens for the price. In the shorter end, it has got very good optical qualities

schirmer
Regular MemberPosts: 408
Like?

Using the 14-45 and 45-200 on my G1 I always seem to have the wrong lens attached.

Both super zoom lenses get good reviews. Panasonic 14-140 is quite expensive but has stabilization, Oly 14-150 can be found used for less than 300€.

For macro search this forum. There are lot of thread discussing legacy macro lenses, macro adapters (e.g. Raynox) etc.

Btw, the biggest push on G1 for me was the 20mm f1.7 lens

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads