Humble Pie, or I never stop learning

Started Mar 30, 2012 | Discussions
Laurence Matson
Forum ProPosts: 11,055Gear list
Like?
Humble Pie, or I never stop learning
Mar 30, 2012

Your choice!

But I just wanted to give credit where it is due.

Cinefeel - whatever your real name is - you deserve credit for really figuring out the basic point of the SD1. Were I a bit smarter. . . .

Essentially, this is my take on what I learned from you about sharpening SD1 images:

1. How I proceed depends a lot on which lens I use. Some are much sharper than others. Generally speaking, older lenses are softer or have harsher sharpness. I have a good sample of the former in my 300-800 and of the latter in the older 50 macro.

2. Sharpen or not in SPP depending on the lens. This takes some experimenting. With the two lenses above, I would likely leave sharpening nearer 0 on the former and much closer to -2 on the latter, as examples. Look carefully at what the lens has produced.

3. If you want to give your images a bit of "lift," apply very little high-pass sharpening: 20% and 15 radius is a good place to start. Watch out for large "shadowy" halos.

4. Finally, apply cinefeel's magic: a high percentage combined with a very small radius. My rule of thumb is that the integers should add up to 6. So, for instance, 300% and 0.3 or 200% and 0.4. As usual, if something is good, a little less is better. And the 6 guideline is not carved in stone, as I am sure Tom Parker readers know.

Personally, I am grateful to this forum - and cinefeel (get a name) - for this kind of stuff. During my one-year fight with the black dog, my mind was not as open as it should be.

-- hide signature --

Laurence
laurence at appledore-farm dot com

Sometimes, life is going to hit you with a brick. Don't lose faith.
Steve Jobs

http://www.pbase.com/lmatson
http://www.pbase.com/sigmadslr
http://www.howardmyerslaw.com

Sigma SD1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mostly Lurking
Senior MemberPosts: 2,103
Like?
Re: Humble Pie, or I never stop learning
In reply to Laurence Matson, Mar 30, 2012

I've often had to start post-processing over again from 'scratch'. Every shot is a little bit different.
--
William Wilgus

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
NarrBL
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,714
Like?
Well said, Laurence

and I am sure some of us understand well enough about the black dog.

I came to independent conclusion about something like your adds-to-six plan -- I probably use add-to-5; e.g. 0.3 and 150% or so, and it very often does good, with a light hand.

I found it was quite effective with Rick's early SD-1 shots when processing a bunch of those.

There are, to be sure, other mysteries more specific to the SD-1, while I am hopeful of Sigma's work on them, to come as each is worked out.

Best and a smile,
Clive

SigmaChrome
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,951Gear list
Like?

Laurence Matson wrote:

Your choice!

I choose both.

Personally, I am grateful to this forum - and cinefeel (get a name) - for this kind of stuff. During my one-year fight with the black dog, my mind was not as open as it should be.

I know that black dog too.
--
Regards,

Vitée

Capture all the light and colour!

http://www.pbase.com/vitee/galleries

SigmaChrome's gear list:SigmaChrome's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD14 +13 more
BarrytheB
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,152
Like?
woof woof

Glad you're back- I missed your wisdom and wit.
Who won?
--
Barry Byrd
http://www.pbase.com/barryb
http://www.pbase.com/sigmadslr

'Liking it ain't required'
Gary Hale
1952-2008

colinbm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,219
Like?
In reply to SigmaChrome, Mar 30, 2012

What do you want to know about the black dog ?
Col

larryj
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,522Gear list
Like?

Thanks for the thoughtful discussion Laurence: It is hard for me to imagine you eating humble pie, but I can believe the part about never stop learning. I know that when I stop talking long enough to listen, I have learned good lessons from you and others on this forum. I guess I will need to look at reprocessing some of my test SD1 shot using the ' Matson/Cinefeel' approachs. Thanks for the analysis.
Ps. Glad you are back, I missed you wit and wisdom the past months.
--
Cheers,
larryj

If you can see the light, you can photograph it
Quote from Myron Woods

larryj's gear list:larryj's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM +1 more
Gary Dean Mercer Clark
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,170Gear list
Like?
In reply to larryj, Mar 30, 2012

I think the images are so high resolution that we are really down to splitting hairs with this discussion on how to best sharpen images. There are many approaches to sharpening. Find the method that works best for you!

larryj wrote:

Thanks for the thoughtful discussion Laurence: It is hard for me to imagine you eating humble pie, but I can believe the part about never stop learning. I know that when I stop talking long enough to listen, I have learned good lessons from you and others on this forum. I guess I will need to look at reprocessing some of my test SD1 shot using the ' Matson/Cinefeel' approachs. Thanks for the analysis.
Ps. Glad you are back, I missed you wit and wisdom the past months.
--
Cheers,
larryj

If you can see the light, you can photograph it
Quote from Myron Woods

-- hide signature --

Gary Mercer

HBowman
Contributing MemberPosts: 975
Like?
In reply to Gary Dean Mercer Clark, Mar 30, 2012

gary mercer wrote:

I think the images are so high resolution that we are really down to splitting hairs with this discussion on how to best sharpen images. There are many approaches to sharpening. Find the method that works best for you!

I totally agree. I do not apply whatever ppl say over here and have super sharp SD1 shoots.

At first : The noise reduction. Mabe my spp is broken but I cannot touch noise reduction if my shoot is below 400 ISO, like SD14/15 and Dps.

For me (and others) the first Spp do better job than lastest one.

I never touch sharpness in Spp.

95% of the time I don't have to sharpen in another editor.

95% of my bad results is bacause of bad focusing or too slow shutter speed.

On important thing about SD1, too, is to have photo perfectelly in focus

-- hide signature --
Zone8
Forum ProPosts: 15,366
Like?
Glad to read your post, LM!

It's good to see you're back Laurence ....

.... and .....

your front, too!

Remember what God said to Moses:

"Keep taking the tablets"

Very best wishes.

-- hide signature --

Zone8: Although I am a handsome geniearse, when I stand in front of a mirror, I vaguely recognise the ugly idjit standing on the other side!

LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm
Cleaning DSLR Sensors, including Kodak DSLR Factory Cleaning method:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/KodakDCS-sensorcleaning.htm
Solving back/front focus problems on Sigma DSLRs
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1027&message=35565277

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 17,968Gear list
Like?

That's a great distillation of what Cinefeel has been saying, I'll take advantage of that in my own processing shortly...

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +2 more
carlos roncatti
Senior MemberPosts: 2,622Gear list
Like?

Laurence Matson wrote:

4. Finally, apply cinefeel's magic: a high percentage combined with a very small radius. My rule of thumb is that the integers should add up to 6. So, for instance, 300% and 0.3 or 200% and 0.4. As usual, if something is good, a little less is better. And the 6 guideline is not carved in stone, as I am sure Tom Parker readers know.

processing that has been used by Dave Etchells from IR sice he released his wesite...a long, long time ago......
example:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/AA700/AA700IMAGING.HTM

-- hide signature --

To understand photography, you must understand that the experience must be much more important than the result ....
Carlos Roncatti Bomfim
http://weweh.com/
because men and women are different and we humans are the same.

Obscura
Contributing MemberPosts: 918
Like?

Laurence Matson wrote:

2. Sharpen or not in SPP depending on the lens. This takes some experimenting. With the two lenses above, I would likely leave sharpening nearer 0 on the former and much closer to -2 on the latter, as examples. Look carefully at what the lens has produced.

This whole time I've been mis-reading things as -0.2 and having a difficult time noticing any difference at all between 0.0 and -0.2. Just had a look at -2.0 on a few images.

Continued experimentation is in order. Having fun getting to know the SD1M.
--
Obscura

Jaelkay
Senior MemberPosts: 2,243
Like?

Welcome back.

No black dogs this end. A small grey one in the quise of our national Sigma distributor is being dealt with currently.

Nancy and Pete Spader
Senior MemberPosts: 2,021
Like?

Sorry to hear you had that fight with the black dog, and glad to hear you are back with those wonderful dogs you raise.

Sharpening has always been one of those things many people do not thing much about but it is cruicial to the IQ you get both when viewing and printing. I remember the "fun" you and Dominic had finding out how to handle the SD9 large prints. At least with the SD Merrill you start with enough data that is no longer the primary problem.

Pete and Nancy

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads