D4 - Autofocus For Bird Flight Photography Review

Started Mar 29, 2012 | Discussions
RichardBedford
Regular MemberPosts: 104
Like?
D4 - Autofocus For Bird Flight Photography Review
Mar 29, 2012

Hi all, just seen this review by Andy Rouse...interesting.

http://www.andyrouse.co.uk/blog/213.php

Best wishes,

Richard

http://www.richardbedford.co.uk

Nikon D4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jenella
Contributing MemberPosts: 997Gear list
Like?
Thank you....very informative!!
In reply to RichardBedford, Mar 29, 2012

Wow~ nice review! I needed that as i was start get get frustrated after reading that the D4 had little improvement over the D3s. Its about freakin time we hear more about the D4. So tired of those "other" threads
--
"if it ain't broke" Get a new one anyway!

jenella's gear list:jenella's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
curtissmith
Contributing MemberPosts: 677Gear list
Like?
Re: Thank you....very informative!!
In reply to jenella, Mar 29, 2012

True.

jenella wrote:

Wow~ nice review! I needed that as i was start get get frustrated after reading that the D4 had little improvement over the D3s. Its about freakin time we hear more about the D4. So tired of those "other" threads
--
"if it ain't broke" Get a new one anyway!

-- hide signature --

Do I really care what you think? hell NO!

curtissmith's gear list:curtissmith's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,063
Like?
Re: Thank you....very informative!!
In reply to curtissmith, Mar 29, 2012

It is nice to hear about the d4, sounds like a wonderful camera, especially with the improved af. I have the d3s and I think the af is pretty darn good also after using other Nikon cameras. I just can't bare to divorce my d3s, it is the best thing since "corn bread". I wish more threads were on other subjects besides the d800 and when, if or who are we getting the d800 from.

Larry

jeminijoseph
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,704Gear list
Like?
Re: D4 - Autofocus For Bird Flight Photography Review

I have no doubt about his findings. I have a taste of it this morning.

RichardBedford wrote:

Hi all, just seen this review by Andy Rouse...interesting.

http://www.andyrouse.co.uk/blog/213.php

Best wishes,

Richard

-- hide signature --

Thanks
Jemini Joseph

http://www.wildbirdimages.com

Telefoto
Regular MemberPosts: 295Gear list
Like?

Comments about the throughput speed of the new card standard are most exciting to me of anything in this review. Of course, if its so great, I'm left grumbling about why there aren't 2 slots for them.

Regarding the AF performance, what I'm getting from this interesting review, reading between the lines, is along the party line of what Nikon is saying - AF has been improved for low light. That seems to be what most people wanted, but unfortunately I'm not that interested in low light. I'm looking for improvements that help me lock and track animals in good light, and achieve focus on the eyes, and I'm not really hearing that there are any significant ones so far.

Telefoto's gear list:Telefoto's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +6 more
RBFresno
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,935Gear list
Like?
Re: D4 - Autofocus For Bird Flight ; My experience as well

Hi!

Thanks for the review!

Your findings are consistent with what my brief experience has been.

I had no idea that the D4 focusing would be that much better than my D3, but it is.

Regarding the 2 card slots (one for XQD and the other for CF).
I would predict that a future D4s might just have the two slots for XQD.

Since the D4 has the two differing slots, I wish that there was the option of acquiring everything onto the fast XQD card and then after shooting, one could dump the XQD data onto the slower CF card.

As it is, when I fill up the XQD card, I have it programmed to overflow to the CF card. Unfortunately, I am then back to using whatever speed my Cf card has.

Best Regards,

RB

http://www.dpreview.com/members/2305099006/challenges
http://www.pbase.com/rbfresno/profile

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,063
Like?
Re: D4 - Autofocus For Bird Flight ; My experience as well
In reply to RBFresno, Mar 29, 2012

The d4 sounds like truly a professional fast camera that is built to endure. It may only have 16mp, but from my d3s they are a very high quality pixel. I'm keeping my d3s, but I am sure that the d4 owners are going to get excellant results out of a truly wonderful camera.

Good Luck
Larry

DiverX
Senior MemberPosts: 2,129Gear list
Like?

Andy is spot on!
--
George DeCamp
http://www.decamp.net

DiverX's gear list:DiverX's gear list
Nikon D4
commiebiker
Senior MemberPosts: 1,388Gear list
Like?

Nice review...but could he be a little more cocky?

"Of course it needs to be said that I am a renowned action photographer and know how to do this stuff, "

Anyway, nice to hear some D4 news

commiebiker's gear list:commiebiker's gear list
Nikon D3S Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R +8 more
scorpiuspix
Regular MemberPosts: 321Gear list
Like?
Re: nice but need some data here
In reply to RichardBedford, Mar 30, 2012

"Of course I cannot say how the D3s would have coped"... that is all that needs to be said here.

Need to do a side-by-side comparison. I would guess a D4 would show some AF improvement over the D3s, but data always trumps opinions.
--
pbase/scorpius

scorpiuspix's gear list:scorpiuspix's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon Df
Fearless_Photog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,250
Like?
In reply to Telefoto, Mar 30, 2012

Telefoto wrote:

Comments about the throughput speed of the new card standard are most exciting to me of anything in this review. Of course, if its so great, I'm left grumbling about why there aren't 2 slots for them.

And how many more people would be left grumbling about no backwards compatibility and all their useless CF cards if that wasn't included? Smart move on Nikon's part to introduce the new format without forcing it on people in my opinion.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcullenphoto/

RichardBedford
Regular MemberPosts: 104
Like?
In reply to commiebiker, Mar 30, 2012

commiebiker wrote:

Nice review...but could he be a little more cocky?

"Of course it needs to be said that I am a renowned action photographer and know how to do this stuff, "

Anyway, nice to hear some D4 news

Hi commiebiker,

Mr Rouse does have a reputation for being cocky...not one of his best qualities!

He also is not totally renowned for action photography, he does do a bit but most of his stuff is general portrait wildlife taken on his expensive trips all over the world. He does produce the goods though. My money for best/good action bird photography is on Markus Varesvuo of Finland...cleans the floor with Andy Rouse.

Richard.

Telefoto
Regular MemberPosts: 295Gear list
Like?
In reply to Fearless_Photog, Mar 30, 2012

Fearless_Photog wrote:

Telefoto wrote:

And how many more people would be left grumbling about no backwards compatibility and all their useless CF cards if that wasn't included? Smart move on Nikon's part to introduce the new format without forcing it on people in my opinion.

So if backwards compatibility is the excuse for the D4 screw up, what's the excuse for the D800 mismatch? Still see a "smart move" in there somewhere? Especially given how likely it is for lots of folks to want to use both together? Sorry, I don't see anything but a screw up in both.

Telefoto's gear list:Telefoto's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +6 more
sting
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,968
Like?
Burst speed
In reply to RichardBedford, Mar 30, 2012

Thanks for posting this. I'm envious of the barn owl shots.

The comment about the QXD card need more qualification. Which CF card did he use for his previous camera? I remember having major problems with RAW burst speed with the old 16GB Sandisk Extreme III's that had only a 12 MB/s write speed, which is roughly one D3 image/second. Modern CF cards have a 90-100 MByte/second write speed. XQD cards have 125 MB/second write speed. A D3 with a 90-100 MByte/second card should on par with a D4 with a 125 MByte/second write speed. My fastest CF card is only 60 MBytes/second (Sandisk Extreme Pro), so I can't run this experiment.

Also, I was hoping that Nikon's D4 would have allowed for alternating writing to each flash card to double the storage write speed.

DMT
DMT
Regular MemberPosts: 227Gear list
Like?
Re: Burst speed
In reply to sting, Mar 30, 2012

XQD smokes every CF card on the planet. I'm using the fastest Lexar and Sandisk cards in my D4...destroys them

DMT's gear list:DMT's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +12 more
sting
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,968
Like?
In reply to DMT, Mar 30, 2012

DMT wrote:

XQD smokes every CF card on the planet. I'm using the fastest Lexar and Sandisk cards in my D4...destroys them

XQD has a new, faster interface, but since parallelism (more flash chips) is used to gain write speed, it seems that the larger CF will continue to dominate capacity (largest XQD card is 32GB, largest flash card is 128GB). Though, I'm pleasantly surprised that the mark-up for XQD is only 40% and brings a welcomed 30% increase in write speed.Write speed doesn't matter much to most, but when you're limited by write speed during a 2-3 minute boxing or MMA round, write speed is critical to sustain burst performance.

Does your Sandisk do 90-100 MBytes/second? Since you have both XQD and CD cards, I would be curious if the write speeds quoted by Sandisk and Lexar are achieved in the D4. I'll time how many seconds are needed to write 10 RAW files to a Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB (60 MBytes/second) on my D3 this weekend.

myphotographic
Forum MemberPosts: 70
Like?
In reply to sting, Apr 1, 2012

Here's a benchmark of the XQD cards. Compared to the fastest CF (Lexar's 1000X), 30mb/s faster write, but 13mb/s slower read.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-11674-12366

-- hide signature --

Paul

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads