Worst moiré I have ever had - D3

Started Mar 29, 2012 | Discussions
philm5d
Contributing MemberPosts: 572
Like?
Worst moiré I have ever had - D3
Mar 29, 2012

I've only had this effect visible once before on a guy's shirt, but these nursing students are a lot worse. How bad could this have been without an AA filter?

Nikon D3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
joaquin100
Senior MemberPosts: 1,542Gear list
Like?
Re: Worst moiré I have ever had - D3
In reply to philm5d, Mar 29, 2012

philm5d wrote:

I've only had this effect visible once before on a guy's shirt, but these nursing students are a lot worse. How bad could this have been without an AA filter?

well non AA filter can also get hit from Moiré in some situations.

Check the brown jacket from the Guy ..(scroll down) are samples from D800E, you can also see than D800E can do fabrics in most situations with no moiré if you check the other samples.

http://translate.google.com/...A%2F%2Fpcfoto.biz%2Fna-prvi-pogled-nikon-d800e

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fpcfoto.biz%2Fna-prvi-pogled-nikon-d800e

hope the link works

J

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 27,193Gear list
Like?
moiré ha ha! n/t
 Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +13 more
zzapamiga
Regular MemberPosts: 497
Like?

philm5d wrote:

Moiré occurs if a scene contains areas with repetitive detail which exceeds the resolution of the camera. The D800E is a much higher resolution camera than the D3 therefore the D800E taking the same shot could have less moiré or could even have none. The higher the resolution of the sensor the less moiré is produces. All I can say for certain is the D800E will produce a lot less moiré then a D3 with the AA filter removed.

J Mankila
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,234
Like?
Was there moire at 100% magnification?

If there wasn't moire at 100% magnification, it's not an issue, at all. Downsampling to a smaller resolution can do that all by itself, and add a touch of sharpening and there you go.

-- hide signature --

regards
Janne Mankila, Finland

mfbernstein
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,518
Like?

philm5d wrote:

That's not caused by the camera or AA filter, that's caused by the downsampling algorithm/software.

Resize it in something else and you should have no trouble.

Genuine moire caused by the sensor is only visible at full or close to full magnification, which this is not.

-- hide signature --

MFBernstein

'Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit.' - Ed Abbey

falconeyes
Contributing MemberPosts: 938
Like?
false info (nt)
In reply to mfbernstein, Mar 29, 2012

KenEis
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,945
Like?

Note how specific the beyond resolution criteria is applied. Only the back row has bad moire. The front row is just a tad closer to the camera so no moire but I assume the same shirt material.
--
Ken Eis
http://keneis.zenfolio.com

jean bernier
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,129
Like?
In reply to KenEis, Mar 29, 2012

IMO, moiré can happen with any resolution. I have seen it in the studio when shooting fabrics with 6 mpixels, 12 mpixels, 24 mpixels cameras. It just depends on a coincidence between the sensor regular pattern and the enlargement of the fabric's image on the sensor. When both closely match, moiré appears. As long as sensors will consist of regular rows of pixels instead of a random pattern, moiré will be a possibility.

Factors include: type of fabric (fine/coarse), perfect focus and aperture (parts of the garment that are in/out of focus), and mainly enlargement of the projected image (distance/focal lenght). Diffraction at small apertures can reduce the occurence.

For typical studio portraits, the more the pixels, the less the posibilities of moiré, as most fabric patterns will be resolved, but it will still happen, only at a different enlargement. Double the pixel count, and one could instead of seeing it on half torso shots, see it on medium shots, all else being equal...
--
Jean Bernier

All photographs are only more or less credible illusions

J Mankila
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,234
Like?
Just how? :)
In reply to falconeyes, Mar 29, 2012

Just how was that false info? You mean the all of it? I certainly don't think so. The only bit that I found inaccurate was that, indeed, at least colour moire will be visible when downsized.

-- hide signature --

regards
Janne Mankila, Finland

Jarkko Haarla Jr
Senior MemberPosts: 1,055
Like?
Re: Just how? :)
In reply to J Mankila, Mar 29, 2012

I allways shoot people with textured shirts with the camera tilted 5 -10 degrees. No moire, no problem.

With the D4 arriving to this money-forgotten-country, I can change the tilt into 3-4 degrees.

Yamo
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?
In reply to mfbernstein, Mar 29, 2012

mfbernstein wrote:

That's not caused by the camera or AA filter, that's caused by the downsampling algorithm/software.

Resize it in something else and you should have no trouble.

Genuine moire caused by the sensor is only visible at full or close to full magnification, which this is not.

+1 Sensor moire will show significant color problems (introduced in demosaicing). Downsampling moire won't show the color problems to a large degree.

Cheers,

-Yamo-

KenEis
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,945
Like?
In reply to jean bernier, Mar 30, 2012

I would assume that the reference setup of these employees could cause moire with a D800(e) just by moving the camera further back until the cloth patterns were small enough in solid angle to cause the moire on the higher resolution focal plane. But it would be a very specific distance...not more or less. So just a little change would cut off the moire.
--
Ken Eis
http://keneis.zenfolio.com

UponQuai
Contributing MemberPosts: 654
Like?
In reply to philm5d, Mar 30, 2012

can't see moire

GlobalGuyUSA
Senior MemberPosts: 1,120Gear list
Like?
In reply to UponQuai, Mar 30, 2012

The woman's shirt, on the right of the guy in white.
Moire city. As well as on others.

-- hide signature --

Sincerely,

GlobalGuyUSA

GlobalGuyUSA's gear list:GlobalGuyUSA's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +4 more
falconeyes
Contributing MemberPosts: 938
Like?
Re: Just how? :)
In reply to J Mankila, Apr 1, 2012

J Mankila wrote:

Just how was that false info? You mean the all of it? I certainly don't think so. The only bit that I found inaccurate was that, indeed, at least colour moire will be visible when downsized.

All of the post I replied to was false info.

Moiré is not created by downsampling here and by its very nature, Moiré is a low frequency pattern which normally survives some further downsampling. Of course, if downsampling enough, even the lower Moiré pattern frequency will be killed.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads