iwannabesedated
Contributing MemberPosts: 804
Like?
B&H: In Reference to your Nikon D800E Pre-Order
Mar 28, 2012

Was hoping for a shipping date, but got this today instead:

Dear iwannabesedated,

Thank you for your pre-order of the following item:
Nikon D800E SLR Digital Camera (Body Only)
(B&H # NID800E)

You are receiving this message so we may address a concern of ours. Some customers might be unclear about the differences between the Nikon D800, and the Nikon D800E, and which camera is the best choice for them.

The Nikon D800 and D800E are similar cameras, based on appearance and most specs. However, there is one underlying difference that should be an important factor in deciding which camera is the right one for you.

The D800E incorporates optical glass between its optical low pass filter substrates, which has the effect of canceling the filter’s moiré and aliasing correction. The benefit is an increase in the sharpness and definition of your photographs. The tradeoff is a greater likelihood that you will incur moiré and/or false colors in some images. The D800E is best used in applications in which the photographer has absolute control over lighting and color balance.

Please click here for further information on the differences between these two cameras.

If you would like to change your Pre-Order from the Nikon D800E to the Nikon D800, Please reply to this email with your request.

Thank you
B&H Customer Service

Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 10,385Gear list
Like?
Yes, got that same message as well
In reply to iwannabesedated, Mar 28, 2012

Which makes me wonder. I can see B&H being concerned about its customers making the right decision. But is it the only reason B&H sent the message? Or is it out of concern that Nikon may produce so few D800e that D800e-to-be customers will have to wait for a long time to get their cameras?

This being said I don't see the advantage of switching the order from D800e to D800 from a timing point of view. One would end up at the end of the D800 queue. Considering the high demand for the camera (just checked Amazon and it is still #1 as it's been most of the time since its introduction. By comparison the 5d3 is #9 !), any switcher would end up waiting for several months anyway.

-- hide signature --

Thierry

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
1w12q312qw1
Contributing MemberPosts: 717
Like?
Re: B&H: In Reference to your Nikon D800E Pre-Order
In reply to iwannabesedated, Mar 28, 2012

iwannabesedated wrote:

Was hoping for a shipping date, but got this today instead:

Dear iwannabesedated,

Thank you for your pre-order of the following item:
Nikon D800E SLR Digital Camera (Body Only)
(B&H # NID800E)

You are receiving this message so we may address a concern of ours. Some customers might be unclear about the differences between the Nikon D800, and the Nikon D800E, and which camera is the best choice for them.

The Nikon D800 and D800E are similar cameras, based on appearance and most specs. However, there is one underlying difference that should be an important factor in deciding which camera is the right one for you.

The D800E incorporates optical glass between its optical low pass filter substrates, which has the effect of canceling the filter’s moiré and aliasing correction. The benefit is an increase in the sharpness and definition of your photographs. The tradeoff is a greater likelihood that you will incur moiré and/or false colors in some images. The D800E is best used in applications in which the photographer has absolute control over lighting and color balance.

Please click here for further information on the differences between these two cameras.

If you would like to change your Pre-Order from the Nikon D800E to the Nikon D800, Please reply to this email with your request.

Thank you
B&H Customer Service

Something's going on here. I ordered something from B&H on Monday and asked about my D800E pre-order status. The salesman didn't have any shipping update but, boy, he was really trying to get me to switch to the D800. I wonder why? He was warning me BIG-TIME about the moire issue and said I was going to have a ton of problems. I came back and said the Nikon software has a feature to handle it for the most part but he insisted I was NOT going to be happy with the E.

What is behind this very recent sales-pitch? Do they have a shortage of E-bodies? Is there a hardware problem? The E-samples I've seen look pretty spectacular to be honest, so I doubt it's a hardware thing.

Sheesh, I'm not getting a good feeling about this, Hope I get this camera before the end of the summer. Would be nice to hear from Henry P. about this.

Stan

Jonathan Reed
Senior MemberPosts: 1,505
Like?
In reply to 1w12q312qw1, Mar 29, 2012

I didn't think you could change from one to the other without losing your place in line. That's what I was told by B&H. I pre-ordered the 800E very early on and I never received the above email. Was this today?

GAP IMAGES
Regular MemberPosts: 244
Like?
In reply to iwannabesedated, Mar 29, 2012

I received the same email from B&H today. At the end of the message it also ask if you want to change from the 800E to 800 model … if so respond to their email!

What if you were the first to order the E model and you change … I suppose that you would then fall back to the end of the waiting line for a regular 800 camera?

iwannabesedated
Like?
In reply to 1w12q312qw1, Mar 29, 2012

I didn't read anything sinister in the communication from B&H. I thought it was just their attempt to reiterate Nikon's own admonitions about the D800E. My guess is they're trying to prevent customer disappointment, which in turn might lead to fewer returns of a high ticket item. Smart move, methinks. -iwbs

PS In the meantime, check out these D800E images:

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fpcfoto.biz%2Fna-prvi-pogled-nikon-d800e

BobYIL
Contributing MemberPosts: 887
Like?
Re: Yes, got that same message as well
In reply to TOF guy, Mar 29, 2012

TOF guy wrote:

Or is it out of concern that Nikon may produce so few D800e that D800e-to-be customers will have to wait for a long time to get their cameras?

If your production was based on 30K units per month, 90% of it on the D800 and 10% of it on the D800E; and right at the start if you receive over 1.000.000 pre-orders with about 40% portion for the D800E, what would you do???

Those placing their D800E orders today may start receiving their cameras earliest by the end of the year..

And I wonder how many would respond to it while 100% of the digital MF cameras having no low-pass filters are in the hands of the professionals who are dealing with textiles and architecture than the majority of us..

Bob
--
BobYIL

falconeyes
Contributing MemberPosts: 713
Like?

From what I hear, only Nikon qualified Pro dealers are allowed to sell the E and they are instructed to teach the customer about the possible draw backs.

Ordering in a store and you would have gotten the lesson already.

I was wondering with this policy, how online dealers can be allowed to sell the E at all. Obviously, we are now learning: they may have received a note from Nikon that their customers must acknowledge via email to have received their lesson.

This may be a good thing actually as it may be a milestone in Nikon's E rollout.

iwannabesedated
Like?
In reply to falconeyes, Mar 29, 2012

falconeyes wrote:

Obviously, we are now learning: they may have received a note from Nikon that their customers must acknowledge via email to have received their lesson.

To be clear, the email communication I got today required a response only if I wished to cancel or change my order. In other words, at this point, B&H is not requiring an email response explicitly accepting the risks of the D800E. Regards. -iwbs

kuzmacom2
Regular MemberPosts: 106
Like?
B&H D800E Guide

On 3/16 B&H posted their own take on the D800e, which draws from Nikon press material, but then takes a similar tone to your email:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/photography/hands-reviews/discerning-differences-between-nikon-d800-and-d800e

My read was either they have time on their hands (unlikely), or they had some hands-on time with the body (possibly), or they have way too many D800e per-orders (likely).

However, I noticed that along with the typical Moire comments, B&H mentions Color Shift/False Color several times and that "middle apertures" should be selected.

erniej
Regular MemberPosts: 406Gear list
Like?
In reply to GAP IMAGES, Mar 29, 2012

I preordered an 800e from B&H the first day. The next day I changed my mind, called B&H and changed to an 800. The CR told me that I would have hundreds of orders in front of mine if I did that. I said that was ok.

erniej's gear list:erniej's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR
Dennis DH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,241
Like?
In reply to erniej, Mar 29, 2012

This e-mail seems very odd, I wonder what the real meaning of it was

marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dennis DH, Mar 29, 2012

Dennis DH wrote:

This e-mail seems very odd, I wonder what the real meaning of it was

B&H is likely reiterating what Nikon has already said, and making certain that they avoid the scenario where a beginner (or even an amateur not used to post processing) orders a D800E convinced that he/she will get dramatically better resolution but not anticipating moire/false colors and then returning the camera. No company wants to deal with a huge number of returns or exchanges. Returns = problems, open boxes, missing items, high numbers of shutter actuations, etc. B&H is just trying to make certain that a customer is informed about what they are buying and protecting themselves and Nikon. Smart, IMHO.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
iwannabesedated
Like?
In reply to marike6, Mar 29, 2012

marike6 wrote:

B&H is just trying to make certain that a customer is informed about what they are buying and protecting themselves and Nikon. Smart, IMHO.

That was my take-away from the email. -iwbs

ddt332
Contributing MemberPosts: 742
Like?
why I didn't get this message?

Panic mood starts....

pyzon
Regular MemberPosts: 318
Like?
In reply to GAP IMAGES, Mar 29, 2012

1st in line - change your mind - too bad - back of the queue...it's bad enough with any tom dick and NPS members just applying when they feel like it and getting head of the queue....

ddt332
Contributing MemberPosts: 742
Like?
what I got was this:
In reply to ddt332, Mar 29, 2012

Thank you for your pre-order of the exciting new Nikon
D800E digital SLR camera.
We know you're excited about this camera and we're as enthusiastic to get it to
you as you are to receive it.

At this moment we do not know how many cameras we'll receive from Nikon USA nor do
we know the exact date we'll receive each shipment from them. As this situation
evolves we will update you with whatever information we're able to share.

Your patience and patronage are both greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sincerely,

B&H Photo-Video, and Pro-Audio
http://www.bandh.com/

TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Like?
In reply to Jonathan Reed, Mar 29, 2012

Jon wrote:

Was this today?

Don't know for sure about the O/P but I got this message today (3/28).
--
Thierry

Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
iwannabesedated
Like?
In reply to TOF guy, Mar 29, 2012

TOF guy wrote:

Jon wrote:

Was this today?

Don't know for sure about the O/P but I got this message today (3/28).

Ditto. March 28, 5:47pm EST. -iwbs

TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Like?
Re: what I got was this:
In reply to ddt332, Mar 29, 2012

ddt332 wrote:

Thank you for your pre-order of the exciting new Nikon
D800E digital SLR camera etc.

I got that message a few days ago. The message about reconsidering a D800 instead of a D800e came today (3-28-2012).

-- hide signature --

Thierry

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads