6 Stops shadow push gh2 + lr4

Started Mar 28, 2012 | Discussions
Adventsam
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,983
Like?
6 Stops shadow push gh2 + lr4
Mar 28, 2012

No noise reduction except default colour;

Started with 3 under in Manual, some hand shake 1/5!

Now 4

Now 5+, plus 1 stop +ev grad

Full size images

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,465Gear list
Like?
Re: 6 Stops shadow push gh2 + lr4
In reply to Adventsam, Mar 28, 2012

Ahahah, just great, I was expecting something like this from you

LR4 is really amazing isn't it

Now let's see Photoshop CS6 soon, they already have a Public Beta release

Nice work on the images

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,465Gear list
Like?
Re: And ...
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Mar 28, 2012

And I must say, Panasonic Lumix RAW is very good

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
Adventsam
Like?
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Mar 28, 2012

It is

jennajenna
Senior MemberPosts: 1,122
Like?

How do you "push" shadows using LR4?

Adventsam
Like?
In reply to jennajenna, Mar 28, 2012

Use exposure slider? look on the images under histo?

tinternaut
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,461Gear list
Like?
Re: Are these 100% crops?

Looks good.

-- hide signature --
 tinternaut's gear list:tinternaut's gear list
Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
morepix
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,925Gear list
Like?
Two ways to the same result

Inspired by your post, I just compared some images done at ISO 200 with -1, -2, and -3 EV compensation, then boosted by that same number of EV in LR4 exposure with an image shot at 1600 ISO. The results were pretty much the same, maybe a slight edge to the higher ISO. So not there's little to be gained by shooting at low ISO with negative compensation vs shooting at equivalently higher ISO. But it sure does illustrate the amount of shadow lifting that's available.

But a question: what's the easiest way to apply noise reduction selectively to the lifted dark areas?
--
http://www.pbase.com/morepix

morepix's gear list:morepix's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
Re: Two ways to the same result
In reply to morepix, Mar 28, 2012

100 ways, but mine, process shot normally, export to PS, lift and apply NR, export to PS, paste the lifted over the normal, switch to quick mask, brush the area you want, switch off quick mask, hit delete.

morepix wrote:

Inspired by your post, I just compared some images done at ISO 200 with -1, -2, and -3 EV compensation, then boosted by that same number of EV in LR4 exposure with an image shot at 1600 ISO. The results were pretty much the same, maybe a slight edge to the higher ISO. So not there's little to be gained by shooting at low ISO with negative compensation vs shooting at equivalently higher ISO. But it sure does illustrate the amount of shadow lifting that's available.

But a question: what's the easiest way to apply noise reduction selectively to the lifted dark areas?
--

Louis_Dobson
Like?
In reply to tinternaut, Mar 28, 2012

No, see LR navigator.

tinternaut wrote:

Looks good.

It is impressive it can do it at all, but at 6 stops the full image looks like the D800 crop.

So, if you want six stops, buy a D800.

GH2 will happily do two, and three is you get creative.

Which is just good enough for me.

The happy four and five if you are creative of the D800 would be handy though

morepix
Like?
In reply to Louis_Dobson, Mar 28, 2012

Louis_Dobson wrote:

100 ways, but mine, process shot normally, export to PS, lift and apply NR, export to PS, paste the lifted over the normal, switch to quick mask, brush the area you want, switch off quick mask, hit delete.

Yep, I can see that would work fine. Thanks. Another way I just "invented" is to set the selection brush in LR to +exposure & + noise reduction and brush it over the areas you want to lift. It's probably a little quicker and a little less precise than what you outlined.
--

morepix
Like?

Louis_Dobson wrote:

In your two-image approach, rather than using the quick mask approach on the upper layer, I might put a black layer mask on the upper layer, then brush on the layer mask with a low opacity white brush -- for maximum control.
--

Louis_Dobson
Like?

I think it depends on whether it is a one off deal or normal workflow.

This is my standard approach. One LR export for ground, one for sky, QM, brush brush, delete, call it done

morepix wrote:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

In your two-image approach, rather than using the quick mask approach on the upper layer, I might put a black layer mask on the upper layer, then brush on the layer mask with a low opacity white brush -- for maximum control.
--

Adventsam
Like?

4 is impressive for gh2 to be fair?

amtberg
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,341
Like?

KenW did some very good tests and found that for best results you're better off stopping ISO boost at 640 and underexposing than you are increasing ISO beyond 640. I was pretty skeptical when I read his post but I have confirmed it in my own tests. Of course that only applies if you're shooting RAW.

morepix wrote:

--

Louis_Dobson
Like?

Oh yes. I like the GH2 sensor. It fits in a tiny camera, has perfectly acceptable high ISO, perfectly adequate shadow pull, and base ISO IQ the same as any other 16MP camera.

You want to shoot in the dark or do crazy pulls, buy a big sensor. But the matching camera will costs a bomb and be a PITA to carry.

GH2 is an excellent compromise. I hope the OM-D will be an equally good but slightly different compromise.

Adventsam wrote:

4 is impressive for gh2 to be fair?

Detail Man
Forum ProPosts: 14,950
Like?

Adventsam wrote:

No noise reduction except default colour;

You mean Color NR ? What is the default setting value, and the maximum Color NR setting value ? What was the Black Level set to ? What was the Tone Curve set to ? Was any Sharpening used, or were the Sharpening tools disabled ?

Interesting, but I do not myself take indoor shots of the tops of dressers - I take pictures of nature and landscapes with lots of high spatial-frequency (finely-detailed) subject-matter existing in what are often high contrast-ratio environments. What can LR4 do for that when recovering blown highlight detail? Can it do more than squeeze the histogram down into a single peaked area?

My previous inquiry to you is at:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=40982210

The download link for my original processing of your GH2 shot is at:
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/4464732135/download/1827929

Detail Man
Forum ProPosts: 14,950
Like?
In reply to Detail Man, Mar 28, 2012

Detail Man wrote:

What was the Black Level set to ?

I see the LR4 Black control set to Zero (0) in your LR4 control screen-shots. However, I see that it has a negative control-range. This means that "Zero" is not really zero. Is it more/less than in LR3 ?

Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 25,892Gear list
Like?
In reply to morepix, Mar 29, 2012

morepix wrote:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

Yep, I can see that would work fine. Thanks. Another way I just "invented" is to set the selection brush in LR to +exposure & + noise reduction and brush it over the areas you want to lift. It's probably a little quicker and a little less precise than what you outlined.

The additional brush and mask options are exciting additions for localized corrections.

But I'm still not weaned completely from round trips to Dfine and Nik's Sharpener for the finer studies.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com

"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
morepix
Like?
In reply to Louis_Dobson, Mar 29, 2012

Louis_Dobson wrote:

I think it depends on whether it is a one off deal or normal workflow.

Gotta git me one a them things, a "normal" workflow.

It surprises me that you, with your variety of content, make do with a "normal" workflow. Each shot worth keeping may be worth the respect of individual attention.

Still: maybe I gotta give it a try. What's to be gained? Save a little time, lose a little something else.
--

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads