X10 - it's a great camera, isn't it?

Started Mar 28, 2012 | Discussions
Luke_S
Regular MemberPosts: 119
Like?
X10 - it's a great camera, isn't it?
Mar 28, 2012

After a few months of using X10 I must say this is not only the best compact camera I know, but in fact one of the best of all cameras I have ever used, including some of DSLRs.

Enjoy the pictures!

-- hide signature --

http://www.epicure.pl | between the walls and pieces of plastic we breathe

Fujifilm X10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
GaryJP
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,060Gear list
Like?
Re: Not for my purposes.
In reply to Luke_S, Mar 28, 2012

But it might be better if they fix it.

I constantly notice though that the more people like to filter and grunge up their images, the more the X10 works for them.

-- hide signature --

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.” Ernst Haas

http://garyp.zenfolio.com/p518883873/

GaryJP's gear list:GaryJP's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 II G1 X II Canon EOS-1D Mark III +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Barry Fitzgerald
Forum ProPosts: 29,888
Like?
In reply to GaryJP, Mar 28, 2012

GaryJP wrote:

I constantly notice though that the more people like to filter and grunge up their images, the more the X10 works for them.

If he likes it fair enough each to his own taste accounts for a lot in this game

I'm passing on the X10 I've seen enough to convince me that there are too many issues that need looking at maybe X20 will hit the spot

skimble
Senior MemberPosts: 6,165Gear list
Like?
Re: X10 - it's a great camera, isn't it?

Luke this is a fine set of images

skimble's gear list:skimble's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 70D
RobertSigmund
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,580Gear list
Like?
In reply to skimble, Mar 28, 2012

Nice pictures of Poznan. I particularly like the HDR picture with the tram though snobs might turn their noses up.
What is you "orb" experience with the X10?

Do you already have a printing experience with X10 files? I'd say: up to 30x40 cms is OK provided ISO is not too high. Beyond that, the size difference with APS, let alone full frame, shows.

RobertSigmund's gear list:RobertSigmund's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37
ConanFuji
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,199Gear list
Like?

I like the shots.
I wonder if it's better than the X100.

Luke_S wrote:

After a few months of using X10 I must say this is not only the best compact camera I know, but in fact one of the best of all cameras I have ever used, including some of DSLRs.

Enjoy the pictures!

-- hide signature --

ConanFuji's gear list:ConanFuji's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F500 EXR Canon EOS 40D Sony Alpha NEX-5
tinpusher
Senior MemberPosts: 1,202Gear list
Like?
In reply to RobertSigmund, Mar 28, 2012

I was just about to say much the same.

Lower resolution from the EXR sensor makes large prints more difficult but to my mind the Fuji colours compensate for that.

Apart from the dreaded orbs it isn't a particularly good camera in very bright light.

In the California sunshine it seemed OK but in Hawaii the LCD became invisible at a time when my other cameras were still usable (BTW turning the brightness up doesn't work ) and shots were sometimes very very overexposed.

I can only conclude that the X10 might have sticky apertures like the X100 but more probably it is the excessive time for evaluative metering to work so the focus signal bleeps , you fire but the camera isn't ready!

Not a camera for travel in bright climes.

tinpusher's gear list:tinpusher's gear list
Leica X1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100S +3 more
jonathan68
Regular MemberPosts: 405
Like?
Score +1

I like your abstract shots

Peter Evans
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
In reply to tinpusher, Mar 28, 2012

Suspecting a sticking diaphragm on my X10, I sent some images to Fujifilm France. After examining the photos, they have asked for the camera to be sent in under warranty.

You can see the images here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1012&message=40995307&q=x10+diaphragm&qf=m

Jade Willow
Regular MemberPosts: 482
Like?

tinpusher wrote:

I have to disagree - again!!

I live in Queensland, Australia and the sun is relentless. Check out my Flickr page for what I've been up to with the X-10. I'm extremely happy with the results.

ConanFuji
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,199Gear list
Like?
In reply to GaryJP, Mar 28, 2012

I love grungy pics.
Here's one from my Nex... complete with an ORB.

edit...

Say his white borders are quite effective.
I wonder if I should start using white borders.
Anyone offer any advice?

GaryJP wrote:

-- hide signature --

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.” Ernst Haas

http://garyp.zenfolio.com/p518883873/

ConanFuji's gear list:ConanFuji's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F500 EXR Canon EOS 40D Sony Alpha NEX-5
jonathan68
Regular MemberPosts: 405
Like?

My own experience is that they are easy to make if i want them.

On the other hand they are also easy to avoid.

The kind of shots the X10 excells at and stands head and shoulders above the competition do not lead to white disks or orbs.

Oh and if i want to do long exposure shots of cities at night, I'll bring my SLR... it's the same size with a tripod attached.

Luke_S
Regular MemberPosts: 119
Like?

RobertSigmund wrote:

Nice pictures of Poznan. I particularly like the HDR picture with the tram though snobs might turn their noses up.

Thanks It's not real HDR actually. Something similar one can get straight from the camera. Just choose soft highlight tone and medium soft shadow tone in menu. I have only desaturated colours and added some contrast and black level to the sky area.

What is you "orb" experience with the X10?

I've seen this phenomenon in some of my shots but it spoiled only few of them. I only use 6 mp DR400% mode in which orbs are less pronounced than in full resolution and maybe this is why I haven't found it so annoying. Even if this issue isn't solved in the future I still think it is better than limited DR and difficulty in shooting handheld in low light situations which spoiled much more pictures from my previous cameras (even Micro Four Thirds).

Do you already have a printing experience with X10 files? I'd say: up to 30x40 cms is OK provided ISO is not too high. Beyond that, the size difference with APS, let alone full frame, shows.

I've purchased this camera mainly for web/HD publications and up to A4 prints purpose. I use 5DII as my primary tool for big prints and do not expect X10 to do the tasks it is not for. I call it healthy approach to the photographic gear - do not force the camera to go beyond its specific limitations. I'm affraid that 30x40 cm prints are just too much for X10 from what I see on screen and smaller print. But never tried...

-- hide signature --

Marcos Pinto
Forum MemberPosts: 60
Like?
In reply to Jade Willow, Mar 28, 2012

Jade,

I had a look at your pictures, since I also live in a sunny country so it's important for me that the camera behaves well in this scenario. I do see the "blue sky noise" in them, that has been discussed before in this forum. Therefore I ask you the following:

• did you shoot RAW or JPG ?

• did you notice the problem as well ? Did you try to avoid it or to fix it in PP ?

One photo in which the noise can be clearly seen in the sky is the one called "Up" in your gallery. You don't even have to "pixel peep" - even at 800x600 resolution it can be seen.

I really like some aspects of this camera (viewfinder, manual zoom), but I get conflicting signals with regards to the IQ. So now I'm not sure if I'll get the camera, even after the orb fix.

BTW your photos look great - nice composition and beautiful colors

Thanks,
Marcos

Jade Willow wrote:

tinpusher wrote:

I have to disagree - again!!

I live in Queensland, Australia and the sun is relentless. Check out my Flickr page for what I've been up to with the X-10. I'm extremely happy with the results.

Jade Willow
Regular MemberPosts: 482
Like?
In reply to Marcos Pinto, Mar 28, 2012

No, I haven't noticed the problem! But I must admit I don't pixel peep either - I'm more interested in design and composition. Plus I'm a left-over from the film era so a bit of grain has never been an issue with me.

My images are all shot in Jpeg. I've only just got Lightroom so I'm still learning how to use it. A more advanced user would probably be able to deal with any noise in a more efficient manner. I'll have to look into that aspect.

Still, I'm more than happy with the performance of the camera.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fukeliu/

Veducci
Contributing MemberPosts: 756Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jade Willow, Mar 28, 2012

Wonderful set of pictures but the sky noise in two of them took me by surprise.

Enir4
Senior MemberPosts: 2,009Gear list
Like?
In reply to ConanFuji, Mar 28, 2012

ConanFuji wrote:

I like the shots.
I wonder if it's better than the X100.

I have both and of course the X10 is not better than the X100, but it is much more versatile.

I agree with the OP. The X10 is the best compact I ever had (to me the X100 doesn't qualify as compact, more like high-end dedicated camera). Second best was the Canon G11. For a week I have been considering the Canon G1X, but I cancelled my order because of its so-so dynamic range and somehow its pictures look soft to me. But I'm still not sure about whether or not I will end up buying it. A compact with big sensor is appealing.

About the X10 I like everything: IQ, OVF, handling, looks, quality build.

Enrique

Enir4's gear list:Enir4's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +4 more
max m metz
Regular MemberPosts: 375
Like?

Lovely set Luke, the x10 images have lots of depth for post processing which is unique for a small camera. After enjoying every frame, its easy to see your x10 has found a very deserving home. Best regards.

ddtan
Regular MemberPosts: 353Gear list
Like?
Very complimentary of the X10

Nice eye. Love your composition.

ddtan's gear list:ddtan's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm XF1
Faintandfuzzy
Senior MemberPosts: 3,328Gear list
Like?

tinpusher wrote:

I was just about to say much the same.

Lower resolution from the EXR sensor makes large prints more difficult but to my mind the Fuji colours compensate for that.

Apart from the dreaded orbs it isn't a particularly good camera in very bright light.

In the California sunshine it seemed OK but in Hawaii the LCD became invisible at a time when my other cameras were still usable (BTW turning the brightness up doesn't work ) and shots were sometimes very very overexposed.

I can only conclude that the X10 might have sticky apertures like the X100 but more probably it is the excessive time for evaluative metering to work so the focus signal bleeps , you fire but the camera isn't ready!

I've had no problem with the LCD in bright sunlight....in San Diego. Worked just fine. That said, there is also that nice OVF you can use.

I've been producing great 11x14 prints from my X10. With a bit of post, even 16x20 works just fine.

Faintandfuzzy's gear list:Faintandfuzzy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Nikon Coolpix 950 Olympus E-10 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads