A simple question about this forum

Started Mar 27, 2012 | Discussions
Bas Hamstra
Senior MemberPosts: 1,480Gear list
Like?
A simple question about this forum
Mar 27, 2012

I posted 3 pictures here. Two were intensely bashed by Tedolph. In the third picture I am sort of accused of posting a picture that is not my own.

And now my question to this forum: do you consider this normal? What kind of place is this?

Best regards,

Bas

453C
Senior MemberPosts: 4,620Gear list
Like?
Re: A simple question about this forum
In reply to Bas Hamstra, Mar 27, 2012

Bas Hamstra wrote:

I posted 3 pictures here. Two were intensely bashed by Tedolph. In the third picture I am sort of accused of posting a picture that is not my own.

I've seen the third thread,
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41044254

but not the first two.

And now my question to this forum: do you consider this normal? What kind of place is this?

It can be a rough place at times. I'd suggest answering Tedolph's questions honestly and that'll likely silence him. Or, just ignore him. Up to you. I definitely wouldn't let his speculation bother me.

He's a bulldog when something piques his interest, and it gets him into trouble occasionally. I find it best to simply stick with the truth and let the forum decide whether someone's being a doorknob or not.
--
http://453c.smugmug.com/

453C's gear list:453C's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 15,791Gear list
Like?
In reply to 453C, Mar 27, 2012

453C wrote:

Bas Hamstra wrote:

I've seen the third thread,
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41044254

but not the first two.

It can be a rough place at times. I'd suggest answering Tedolph's questions honestly and that'll likely silence him. Or, just ignore him. Up to you. I definitely wouldn't let his speculation bother me.

He's a bulldog when something piques his interest, and it gets him into trouble occasionally. I find it best to simply stick with the truth and let the forum decide whether someone's being a doorknob or not.
--

Grrrrrrrrrrr!

http://453c.smugmug.com/

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +10 more
snapper1967
Contributing MemberPosts: 673
Like?
There is no such thing as a "simple question" on this forum!
In reply to Bas Hamstra, Mar 27, 2012

-- hide signature --

Just enjoy what you do.

Jim Radcliffe
Forum ProPosts: 11,328Gear list
Like?
An answer for you....
In reply to Bas Hamstra, Mar 28, 2012

Bas Hamstra wrote:

Ignore anyone who tries to bully you on any forum. You owe no one anything. The poster who suggested you give Tedolph what he wants is wrong. Bulldog or not, it's your decision as to whether you provide EXIF data or not and not providing it is by no means proof that you did not take the photo.

Most of my photos do not contain EXIF data due to the post-work I perform on them and I dare anyone to suggest I did not take them. I remember one clown in one of the forums here demanding that I provide the RAW file to prove that I actually took the picture. He has long since been banned.

It's your photo, your EXIF and YOU determine what you share with others.

This forum is really quite good and a friendly place in which to learn and grow. I could easily name one forum here at DPReview that is literally nothing more than a battle ground dominated by Forum Thugs but instead I will just say... It's not this one.

Enjoyed the photo by the way.. well done.
--
Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
Blog: http://boxedlight.com/blog

The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-E2 +6 more
cmorse
Regular MemberPosts: 493Gear list
Like?

Bas Hamstra wrote:

Best regards,

Bas

Tedolph can and, a lot of the time, should be ignored. I wouldn't worry too much about his comments.

cmorse's gear list:cmorse's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +3 more
Bob_tracks
Regular MemberPosts: 221
Like?

You already stated in your post in the other thread that it was another one of "my" pictures. So your choice is to either answer his very rude question--- or ignore it.

Unfortunately, bullies usually don't give up too easily. Responses to them are often met with more taunts and bullying. I'm sorry that some people choose to become the know-it all, self-important, self-appointed rulers of the forum, sometimes saying "We...", when there is no "we".

I find it wonderful that you're willing to post your photography on the forum and seek honest input. It's nice to see actual photography on the forum, which is often drowned out by so much on gear. I hope you'll post more of your photos so that all of us can learn from the consturctive, yet polite discussions about them.

KwhyChang
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,136
Like?

Bas Hamstra wrote:

I would say that many of us could improve to be a smarter forum reader, me for sure.....

If you post pics expect the range of responses, from praise to total insult. Read to see if there are any tips or info about how others respond to or interpret your images. Ask questions to clarify if needed. Keep in mind it's a world wide forum. I would avoid in responding to flame remarks at all, but respond to those that seem to have kindness and wisdom.

-- hide signature --

Dave

lowincash
Contributing MemberPosts: 707
Like?

Almost all forums have some sort of fool or bully lol From all the posts I've seen from Tedolph, majority of them he's an a$$ but just ignore him. Internet bullies just needs to get out more and get some fresh air =]

Other than that, I find this forum quite informative =]
--
I only shoot JPEG =]

Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,465Gear list
Like?
Re: An answer for you.... - Well said (nt)
In reply to Jim Radcliffe, Mar 28, 2012

Jim Radcliffe wrote:

Bas Hamstra wrote:

Ignore anyone who tries to bully you on any forum. You owe no one anything. The poster who suggested you give Tedolph what he wants is wrong. Bulldog or not, it's your decision as to whether you provide EXIF data or not and not providing it is by no means proof that you did not take the photo.

Most of my photos do not contain EXIF data due to the post-work I perform on them and I dare anyone to suggest I did not take them. I remember one clown in one of the forums here demanding that I provide the RAW file to prove that I actually took the picture. He has long since been banned.

This forum is really quite good and a friendly place in which to learn and grow. I could easily name one forum here at DPReview that is literally nothing more than a battle ground dominated by Forum Thugs but instead I will just say... It's not this one.

--
Jim Radcliffe

The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
Boris
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,254Gear list
Like?

The photo you enclosed in the thread "EPL1 as a sunshine cam" has numerous technical imperfections. You asked people what they thought.
Thicker skin is needed here.
Boris
--

http://public.fotki.com/borysd/

Boris's gear list:Boris's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II +40 more
Peter Nelson
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,890
Like?
Not normal for this forum. Normal for tedolf!
In reply to Bob_tracks, Mar 28, 2012

I had kind of a similar experiences with Tedolf on at least 2 occasions. I fought back. Why? Because I am an honest person and will not have anyone doubt me.

Years ago on the Leica Talk Forum here at DPReview there was a forum member who called himself the "Leica King" and he was alway's posting images claiming them to be his and they were from his own Leica M8. I do not remember who exposed him but it turnes out he was using a Canon 5D and not a Leica as he said he was. Or he was posting other peoples photograph's. I can not remember which. So in this instance it was good that he got challanges and caught as he never returned to the forum.

For myself I have no such interests in challanging anyone regarding phoptography, it's not my nature and I do not care if someone fools me. The old saying applies. If you think you are fooling other people, then you are really only fooling yourself.

I have come to appreciate Tedolf and I believe him to be sincere. It's just that he has so many different thought's from most of us that we are not used to being doubted, questioned or served up lessons in photography from people that do it in an abrasive way. He challanges anyone, he doubts everyone and he tell's it like it is (from his vantage point). If you ignore him-he WILL NOT GO AWAY!

When he's not on someone's case he also has a good sense of humor.

So I say fight back, it may indeed become a fight. But then it is likely that your differences will be resolved because he's actually after the truth. He bears no real malace towards anyone.

You know what they say when you have a fair fight? Once it's resolved it's likely the two combatents may become friends. He is genuine and in the long run he is an asset. So I suggest you work it out with him rather than ignore him. He's alway's around and he can be a usefull voice regarding your photographic efforts. Just try and somehow get around his abrasive mannor. I know it's not easy as I myself went after him with a fury he got me so mad on two occasions. But he is only interested in the truth in regards to photography. He is not really the unmitigated Bast*rd that he initial sounds like. There really are mean people on every DPReview Forum, I mean they are actually mean with no redeaming qualities. Some also play games for amusment with new members. Tedolf is not one of them. It's just he is overbearing and accusitory and if you have a thick skin and honest you will be fine.
-Peter

-- hide signature --

Life as an artist has had some unusual times to say the least.
visit my web site http://www.flickr.com/photos/artist_eyes/
Remember to click on 'All Sizes' for better viewing.
Artist Eyes

NZ Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 3,230Gear list
Like?

Bas Hamstra wrote:

Best regards,

Bas

Hello Bas,

This is normal. Unfortunately, there are a lot of nasty people lurking about in here.

As a rule, I think you can expect about 20-30 per cent of posts to be either negative or stupid.

One thing you will notice is that there is a direct relationship between the quality of a person's photography and the quality of their comments. If you click on a person who posts constructive comments, you will often find that they have some nice photographs in their gallery. If you click on someone who makes negative comments, you will usually find that they have not uploaded any photos at all, or, if they have, those photos are not very good.

I have been active in the dpreview site for quite a long time, posting my thoughts in forums, hosting photography challenges and writing reviews. I'm planning to host two more photography challenges. After that I intend to quit the site.

I hope that your experiences here are more positive than mine have been.

Regards,
Scott

NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +9 more
notRag
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?
Re: Not normal for this forum. Normal for tedolf!
In reply to Peter Nelson, Mar 28, 2012

Don't let it worry you.. there are some folks here that have nothing else to do with there time.. they like to bash because it gets them attention... very simple.. most of them are losers..
DG

notRag
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?
Re: Not normal for this forum. Normal for tedolf!
In reply to notRag, Mar 28, 2012

sorry.. their time.. not there time.. sorry..

tedolf
Like?
Re: An answer for you....
In reply to Jim Radcliffe, Mar 28, 2012

Jim Radcliffe wrote:

Bas Hamstra wrote:

Really, is there any evidence of that?

Any?

The OP never said it was his (re-read his original post carefully) and hasn't done so yet.

There is reason to believe that it may not be.

--
Jim Radcliffe

Tedolph

Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +10 more
tedolf
Like?
In reply to Bob_tracks, Mar 28, 2012

Bob_tracks wrote:

You already stated in your post in the other thread that it was another one of "my" pictures.

No he didn't.

Go back and read it carefully.

So your choice is to either answer his very rude question--- or ignore it.

Unfortunately, bullies usually don't give up too easily. Responses to them are often met with more taunts and bullying. I'm sorry that some people choose to become the know-it all, self-important, self-appointed rulers of the forum, sometimes saying "We...", when there is no "we".

I find it wonderful that you're willing to post your photography on the forum and seek honest input. It's nice to see actual photography on the forum, which is often drowned out by so much on gear. I hope you'll post more of your photos so that all of us can learn from the consturctive, yet polite discussions about them.

Tedolph

nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,703Gear list
Like?
In reply to NZ Scott, Mar 28, 2012

NZ Scott wrote:

After that I intend to quit the site.

I hope that your experiences here are more positive than mine have been.

Regards,
Scott

Gees Scott, that would be a shame mate and not good for in here IMO. I don't always respond due to time, but generally catch up with your posts.

All the best Scott.

Danny.

m4/3 macro
http://www.macrophotos.com/g2macro

m4/3 feathered flying gadgets
http://www.macrophotos.com/avian/avian.html

Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

Makinations
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,688Gear list
Like?

Bas Hamstra wrote:

Yes. This is Tedolph Country.

-- hide signature --

Tedolph was right to beat you.

Makinations's gear list:Makinations's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 40D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
Vlad S
Senior MemberPosts: 3,073Gear list
Like?
Don't be upset, learn from experience

Bas Hamstra wrote:

1. You asked an open ended question, so it is perfectly natural that when people see imperfections they give you their opinion. It is not because they dislike you, it is because they are trying to help you take better pictures.

2. There were positive responses too, it would be self-destructive to get short circuited on just one person who does not share your vision. You have a choice whose opinion to listen to.

3. There are all kinds of people here: nice, stubborn, humorous, rude, helpful, etc. Try to find fun and excitement in the diversity of this form.

Vlad

Vlad S's gear list:Vlad S's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads