SD card a little difficult to remove on new K-5.

Started Mar 27, 2012 | Discussions
LDBOK
Contributing MemberPosts: 692Gear list
Like?
SD card a little difficult to remove on new K-5.
Mar 27, 2012

Just got my new K-5 as I was waiting for the price to drop. Great camera and a huge step up from the K20D. The only thing that concerns me so far is that I have to grab the SD card and pull on it to remove it from the slot after it has been released. On the K20D it was only necessary to lift it out of the slot without applying any force to remove it. I would appreciate any feedback on this. Thanks!

LDBOK's gear list:LDBOK's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO +11 more
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Col K10d
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,199Gear list
Like?
Re: SD card a little difficult to remove on new K-5.
In reply to LDBOK, Mar 27, 2012

There's a knack and you'll soon get it... push the card in a little and pull your finger away fast enough so as to allow the spring to pop the card out about 5mm.
--

Col K10d's gear list:Col K10d's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ayewing
Contributing MemberPosts: 598Gear list
Like?
In reply to LDBOK, Mar 27, 2012

This is not a problem, it is a feature of the K-5.

When removing the card, push it in as far as it will go then release it rapidly by flicking your finger off it. The card should pop out far enough to be grasped easily. Once you get the knack it ceases to be a problem.

ayewing's gear list:ayewing's gear list
Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Leica Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8 ASPH +5 more
Ogun Caglayan Turkay
Forum MemberPosts: 98Gear list
Like?
In reply to ayewing, Mar 27, 2012

This is a normal situation on a brand new body and solve after using many times. If it's a big problem for you, you can watch and try this -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pHo9osdbNw0

Greetings...
--
Ogun Caglayan Turkay
http://www.ogunturkay.com

Ogun Caglayan Turkay's gear list:Ogun Caglayan Turkay's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM
Wanganuilad
Senior MemberPosts: 2,174Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ogun Caglayan Turkay, Mar 27, 2012

small piece of selotape folded back on itself to make a pull tab 8mm long.

-- hide signature --

K-5 some Len

LDBOK
Like?
In reply to Wanganuilad, Mar 27, 2012

Thanks everyone for your quick response. If I push down on the edge of the card with my fingernail and then slip it off quickly, the card pops up higher and makes it easier to remove. Problem solved! I'm loving my new K-5!

Thanks again and cheers, Larry.

Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO +11 more
photee
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
In reply to Wanganuilad, Mar 27, 2012

My k5 does the same thing. I had a kx and the card would pop out without any effort. I then got a k200d as a backup and the card did not popout. It was just like my k5. But since the k5 is soooooooooooooo fantastic, I can live with it! I have taken lots of photos so it will not get easier with more use. But I am now use to it. Enjoy your k5. I love mine!
(

LDBOK
Like?
Thanks photee! N. T.
In reply to photee, Mar 28, 2012

No text.

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,235Gear list
Like?
In reply to LDBOK, Mar 28, 2012

LDBOK wrote:

Just got my new K-5 as I was waiting for the price to drop. Great camera and a huge step up from the K20D. The only thing that concerns me so far is that I have to grab the SD card and pull on it to remove it from the slot after it has been released. On the K20D it was only necessary to lift it out of the slot without applying any force to remove it. I would appreciate any feedback on this. Thanks!

I post this whenever someone asks that question. I made this after I bought my K-7:

Seriously though, it sounds you already found a trick. I don't like the flick trick myself and just grip it on the short edge and pull (same place where I have the pliers in the pic).

Eric
--
I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads