Good zoom lens for night photography

Started Mar 27, 2012 | Discussions
CaseySRT
Regular MemberPosts: 136
Like?
Good zoom lens for night photography
Mar 27, 2012

Is there a known good lens for taking night shots? It will be landscapes so a zoom lens with 18mm or so on the low end? Using a Nikon D3100.

Any tips on what to look for when buying a lens for this use?

Nikon D3100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
trekkeruss
Senior MemberPosts: 3,614
Like?
Re: Good zoom lens for night photography
In reply to CaseySRT, Mar 27, 2012

What's wrong with the lens you have? My guess is you do not need a lens, but a tripod, especially since you said it is for night landscapes. If nothing is moving, a tripod will be a better choice than a wider aperture lens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?
You need technique and a tripod
In reply to CaseySRT, Mar 27, 2012

Is there a known good lens for taking night shots ?

The key here is what the subject is and what you aim to achieve.

It will be landscapes

Landscapes implies a static subject.

You can therefore use a long exposure at base ISO ( or as low as practical ). No special lens required.

Of course to use a long exposure you need some way to stabilize the camera system, typically a good tripod.

You'd normally use a timer or a remote to trigger the exposure, as it gives the camera-tripod system a chance to stop vibrating ( after you handle it ).

so a zoom lens with 18mm or so on the low end? Using a Nikon D3100.

Like a kit lens.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

Sir SnapaLot
Regular MemberPosts: 225Gear list
Like?
+ 1
In reply to trekkeruss, Mar 27, 2012

I agree with the previous post. While a f/2.8 is nice, slowing down your shutter speed will do more for you, but it definitely requires a tripod. You should get a good one, which will cost you some $$ (prepare for sticker shock), but will last a long, long time. In addition, you'll want a remote shutter release so that you don't cause vibration just from touching the shutter release on the camera.

Sir SnapaLot's gear list:Sir SnapaLot's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX
123Michael321
Regular MemberPosts: 176
Like?
In reply to CaseySRT, Mar 28, 2012

Quality glass is always nice to have, but what you want to do is more about using a tripod and understanding certain basic techniques/principles.

I took this picture (fireworks over Baltimore's Inner Harbor, from Federal Hill Park - New Year's 2009) with a Pentax K10D, with the 18-55mm kit lens at 40mm. Exp. 1.6 sec. @ f/8 (manual exposure mode), ISO 100. Bogen 3001 tripod and wireless remote. Lens manually focused at infinity.

This one (Baltimore City Hall - the purple's because the Ravens had made the post-season) was taken later that night, also with the Pentax K10D, and the 18-55mm kit lens, this time at 35mm. Again, Bogen 3001 tripod and wireless remote. Shot in RAW, manual exposure mode, AF disengaged. I took 6 shots - 3 pairs, with each pair consisting of one shot at the nominally correct exposure, and one 2 stops under. Each pair was digitally blended, and the 3 resulting images stitched together to create this final image. I know there are easier ways to accomplish the same thing, but I went with what I knew. It came out okay, which is the important thing.

They're not landscapes, but they are night shots, taken with a zoom lens that went down to 18mm on the wide end, which is what you say you want. I was using a mid-range DSLR and dirt cheap kit lens. The lens wasn't optically remarkable in any way, but particularly when stopped down to f/8, its real world performance was perfectly fine. I doubt whether any shortcomings in the pictures are the result of my not having used better glass. Rather, they're due to my own limitations as a photographer.

Normally, I'd have used a 35mm prime lens for these shots, but I didn't happen to have a 35mm lens with me that night, and I did have the zoom, so...

And I ALWAYS keep my Bogen 3001 in the trunk of my car. Because you never know when a tripod will come in handy. It's my smallest tripod, but it's helped me get the job done more times than I can count.
--
Michael

hotdog321
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,509
Like?

Any lens will work fine for night photography so long as you use a decent tripod. I was shooting architecture with a 2.8 wide angle two nights ago, but I was stopping down to f/8 and the exposures were 1-5 seconds long. No way I'm shooting handheld!

A faster lens lets you see what is going on and to frame the shot a bit easier, but that is about all.

zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,433Gear list
Like?
Any lens, virtually any camera will do fine...

With landscape style night photography, the lens doesn't matter much at all, nor does even the camera. Good night shots, as others have mentioned, are all about a tripod, low ISO, a long shutter speed, and remote release or self-timer to trigger the shutter. With that combo, even junk P&S pocket cameras with tiny sensors can do a decent job. The only cameras that can't do this well are P&S cameras that don't offer exposures longer than 1 second, which you might encounter on a few cheapies.

The poster above demonstrated that kit lenses are fine for night shots. I'll go even further and demonstrate that even a tiny sensor P&S camera can do a respectable job. The following were taken years ago with a Sony H5, which has a little 1/2.5" sensor and a tiny 12x zoom lens:

The only real reason you'd need a new lens is if you want a wider perspective and your current lens doesn't go to 18mm. But even if you have a basic kit lens, or an ultrazoom lens, you can fire away and take excellent night shots with any DSLR or mirrorless camera. Or even a P&S!

-- hide signature --
 zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
RossAndrew
Senior MemberPosts: 3,191
Like?
In reply to CaseySRT, Mar 29, 2012

I am just starting out with using a tripod and the one bit of info that I have for you is to turn off the image stabilization on the lens and may be lock the mirror up. Apparently they will both cause vibration in the camera. Should do this every you use your tripod.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads