Taking advantage of a business trip in Bangkok

Started Mar 27, 2012 | Discussions
dkny
Forum MemberPosts: 74
Like?
Taking advantage of a business trip in Bangkok
Mar 27, 2012

Hi folks, I'm in need of some advice. I just learned that I'll be spending the week after next in Bangkok, with a little free time Monday through Thursday and a whole day to myself on Friday. Any suggestions for what I should check out in Bangkok and with my free day?

I have always wanted to see Angkor Wat, but is it possible to do that with such a limited travel window?

Many thanks,
Dan

Sante Patate
Senior MemberPosts: 2,978
Like?
Re: Taking advantage of a business trip in Bangkok
In reply to dkny, Mar 28, 2012

It is a short flight from Bangkok to Siem Reap, and the Angkor temples are twenty minutes out of town. I suppose you could fly in one evening, stay overnight, blitz the temples and fly out the same day, but you really need two days minimum to see the temples, and more is better.

But don't ignore Bangkok. It is also a fabulous place. As well as the tourist sights (Emerald Buddha etc) the public ferry down the river is great, but my number one tip is to hire a long-tail boat (at most of the ferry stops) for a cruise around the back canals.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jezsik
Senior MemberPosts: 2,551
Like?
So much to see and do ... and eat!
In reply to dkny, Mar 28, 2012

Bangkok will keep you plenty busy, but here are some things to see and do. If you can get away:

• Visit the Royal Palace

• See the Reclining Buddha in Wat Pho

• Go to Wat Arun for sunset

• Climb Wat Saket for sunset

Go shopping at:

• Siam Discovery

• Central World Plaza

• Siam Paragon (see a movie at the up-scale theater there!)

• but don't miss Chatuchak (Weekend) Market. Do all your shopping here.

Get a proper Thai massage. It's a bit painful but leaves you feeling renewed.
Drink fresh coconut water from the street vendors; every day.
Eat the food from the street vendors, clean and delicious.

Ask someone to introduce you to mangosteens. You'll likely never have seen them before and trying to eat them is complicated ... but well worth it!

Forget Angkor. That requires a separate trip.

Don't bother looking for deals on camera and electronics. They're a false economy at best.

Enjoy!

calson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,136
Like?
In reply to dkny, Apr 1, 2012

Angkor Wat is doable but you need an entry visa and to fly from Bangkok to Siem Reap in Cambodia. I have never enjoyed myself more than while in Siem Reap and that included going through the temples in the Angkor Wat area (which covers square miles) and the markets and surrounding villages and renting a boat and going out on the Tonle Sap lake which is also enormous and something not to be missed.

In your position I would change my return day and extend your stay in the area for another 4 days. Travel to Cambodia from the states is through Bangkok so so problem with getting flights to Siem Reap.

My wife and I stayed in a clean hotel with AC and HBO and breakfast included at and adjacent cafe for $32 a night. We used a local registered driver (by the government with a government issued ID with photo) as our guide and translator and to watch our gear that we left in the trunk while out and about.

Good idea to take an antimalarial med and to treat your clothes with permethrin (which is cheap to buy by the quart, dilute, and apply with a garden sprayer).

calson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,136
Like?
In reply to dkny, Apr 1, 2012

At the time there was also a requirement to have at least 6 months remaining before your US passport expired and the time you would be leaving Cambodia.

happypoppeye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,722Gear list
Like?
In reply to dkny, Apr 2, 2012

Nah ...I wouldn't do Angkor. You wouldn't see much and would spend moer time travelling than anything else. Bangkok has plenty...

Take a boat taxi down the Chao Praya

Wat Arun, Royal Palace, Wat Pho, Amulet Market, Chinatown, head up to scirocco at the lebua for a great view over Bangkok ...hmmm, where, or what area, are you staying in Bangkok? Jim Thompsons house.

There is plenty to see and do and take photos of.

Heck, you can even hit Soi Cowboy, Nana and the Sukhumvit area (Soi 31 and Soi 22) for some really "off the wall" night shots. PS: these are all the "nightlife" areas of Bangkok.

EDIT: and you may be hitting Songkran in Bangkok at that time ...watch the water.

dkny wrote:

Hi folks, I'm in need of some advice. I just learned that I'll be spending the week after next in Bangkok, with a little free time Monday through Thursday and a whole day to myself on Friday. Any suggestions for what I should check out in Bangkok and with my free day?

I have always wanted to see Angkor Wat, but is it possible to do that with such a limited travel window?

Many thanks,
Dan

-- hide signature --

http://www.wanderinground.wordpress.com
http://www.pbase.com/happypoppeye

It's almost all opinion folks, gonna have to deal with it.

Equipment: 1 Finger, an eye, a camera body and 50mm (equivalent) lens, half a brain, and a lot of money leftover to spend on using that equipment

happypoppeye's gear list:happypoppeye's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
Roger T.
Senior MemberPosts: 2,373Gear list
Like?
Ayutthaya - Re: Taking advantage of a business trip in Bangkok
In reply to dkny, Apr 3, 2012

Try a day trip to Ayutthaya - it's about an hour or so north of Bangkok, and it's the ancient capital of Siam. Lots of old stupas and whatnot ...

You can combine it with a boat ride back down the Chao Phraya river - a number of companies sell reasonable day trip packages.

-- hide signature --
 Roger T.'s gear list:Roger T.'s gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D40 Nikon D100 Nikon D700 Nikon D3200 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads