X100 limited edition worth the extra money?

Started Mar 27, 2012 | Discussions
latent
Regular MemberPosts: 396
Like?
X100 limited edition worth the extra money?
Mar 27, 2012

I am a long time SLR user. I am considering getting an X100. I am tempted by the black limited edition, but at £600 above best X100 chrome prices! Guess its just personal preference. Anyone know of any other advantages?

Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
brianf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,224Gear list
Like?
Re: X100 limited edition worth the extra money?
In reply to latent, Mar 27, 2012

Does it come with a free red nose and clown costume ?

I have a standard one and although the black looks nice £600 for some black paint is taking the pi$$.

Brian.

brianf's gear list:brianf's gear list
Canon PowerShot N
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
latent
Like?
In reply to brianf, Mar 27, 2012

LOL

brianf wrote:

Does it come with a free red nose and clown costume ?

I have a standard one and although the black looks nice £600 for some black paint is taking the pi$$.

Brian.

oistar
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?

As opposed to the silver version with the black one you get the orig lens hood, lens filter, lens ring, leather case so the difference is little less then 600 bucks.

Anton Marcu
Regular MemberPosts: 334Gear list
Like?
In reply to oistar, Mar 27, 2012

some of the extra cost goes to the acessories, the actual difference is approx $200, but "worth" is subjective, is a rare edition of a book "worth" more? it's just musty old paper? so of course it's not worth more, even in dollars/ounce of black paint, you buy it because you like it...

Anton Marcu's gear list:Anton Marcu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X20 Ricoh GR Canon EOS 5D Mark II +6 more
Slinky I
Regular MemberPosts: 115Gear list
Like?
In reply to Anton Marcu, Mar 27, 2012

Well said- Anton

Slinky I's gear list:Slinky I's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
LaFonte
Senior MemberPosts: 2,641Gear list
Like?
In reply to Slinky I, Mar 27, 2012

At least you will know you are getting the one with fixed sticky blade problem, all blacks have the new assembly.

But again, you paying a lot for it a lot - the accessories are just too overpriced, you can get the exact same thing from ebay for like $20 total. (i mean hood and ring). There is no difference in those ebay things from the real one.

It is your money, but I think the black is meant to be more like a gift idea, for people who have everything and don't care about the money.

Slinky I wrote:

Well said- Anton

LaFonte's gear list:LaFonte's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
malabito
Senior MemberPosts: 1,066Gear list
Like?
In reply to LaFonte, Mar 27, 2012

I continue to find so amusing how people tend to talk about the new assembly as they actually worked for fuji. Just because some service guy told you there was a new assembly it doesn't make it true. Customer service by phone tend to say things to get angry customers out of their back.... I am just curious do you have any written confirmation by fuji in this regards? will love to see it. I am not saying its not true, i am just saying that there is no way to really tell, without any public announcement as the did with the orb issue....

LaFonte wrote:

At least you will know you are getting the one with fixed sticky blade problem, all blacks have the new assembly.

But again, you paying a lot for it a lot - the accessories are just too overpriced, you can get the exact same thing from ebay for like $20 total. (i mean hood and ring). There is no difference in those ebay things from the real one.

It is your money, but I think the black is meant to be more like a gift idea, for people who have everything and don't care about the money.

Slinky I wrote:

Well said- Anton

-- hide signature --

Nikon D700, Nikon D7000, Nikon 20mm 2.8, nikon 28mm 2.8 manual focus, Nikon 50mm 1.4, nikon 85mm 1.8, nikon 105mm 2.8 VR, nikon 70-200mm 2.8, Battery Grips, sb-900, sb-800, SB-600, su-800...

http://www.ailukewitsch.com
http://ailukewitsch.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/malabito

malabito's gear list:malabito's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +5 more
mmmmmmmm
Senior MemberPosts: 2,637
Like?
nope!

save your money! The question you might want to ask your self is will this "special" camera help you take better pictures? Probably not! It may separate you form the pack and it may look cool but seriously, will you take better pictures with it? Save your money and buy something else you need. In the end, the camera will loose its value just like every other digital camera.
respectfully,
David Miller

latent
Like?
In reply to malabito, Mar 27, 2012

Oh dear!. Sticky blades issues? Perhasp I should avoid any X100 , limited or otherwise!

malabito wrote:

I continue to find so amusing how people tend to talk about the new assembly as they actually worked for fuji. Just because some service guy told you there was a new assembly it doesn't make it true. Customer service by phone tend to say things to get angry customers out of their back.... I am just curious do you have any written confirmation by fuji in this regards? will love to see it. I am not saying its not true, i am just saying that there is no way to really tell, without any public announcement as the did with the orb issue....

LaFonte wrote:

Slinky I wrote:

Well said- Anton

-- hide signature --

Nikon D700, Nikon D7000, Nikon 20mm 2.8, nikon 28mm 2.8 manual focus, Nikon 50mm 1.4, nikon 85mm 1.8, nikon 105mm 2.8 VR, nikon 70-200mm 2.8, Battery Grips, sb-900, sb-800, SB-600, su-800...

aleksanderpolo
Regular MemberPosts: 433
Like?
persianpaddy
Forum MemberPosts: 61
Like?

LaFonte wrote:

At least you will know you are getting the one with fixed sticky blade problem, all blacks > have the new assembly.

^^^ Absolute BS

see : http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1020&thread=40990549

1. There's no evidence of any changes in "lens assembly"
2. LE Black is also prone to SAB as link above

mr moonlight
Senior MemberPosts: 1,499
Like?
In reply to persianpaddy, Mar 27, 2012

If you really want all black and you have the cash to burn, then go for it. Being all black, it's a bit more stealthy. For a camera that's practically silent that could be a really big plus for some photographers. The Fuji lens hood kit is a little pricey, but the case and filter are about what you would pay. So it's less than $200 more if you go with all Fuji accessories, but closer to $300 if you go with the $20 knock off lens hood and adapter.

Yeah, if I wanted a street photography cam then I'd definitely consider the black version. I really dig the black leather case too. I definitely would pay extra for that. I use a faux leather black case that looks the same, but an all leather one would definitely be better. Too bad the standard one is brown.

bobsphotos
Forum MemberPosts: 72Gear list
Like?
The black model will look bad in a while because its just paint. Not powder coating.

Big mistake on Fuji's part not to use powder coating these black cameras. Big mistake for sure. I bought a fIIIa in a pawn show once for $9.99 and the medal finished looked like new. My X-100 will look like new for years because it a metal finish. The black finish on the X-Pro is all ready getting bad marks for scratches so no black Fujis for me. Please enjoy one of my macro pics!

intruder61
Senior MemberPosts: 2,558Gear list
Like?
???

latent wrote:

I am a long time SLR user. I am considering getting an X100. I am tempted by the black limited edition, but at £600 above best X100 chrome prices! Guess its just personal preference. Anyone know of any other advantages?

Fuji UK is gouging.

£600 is $915AUD, over here the black one is $500AUD more which is £315......so at that price the black one is worth it.

thomo
Contributing MemberPosts: 945Gear list
Like?
I have it in writing from Fujifilm (Australia)
In reply to malabito, Mar 28, 2012

In an e-mail received from them on 12 January 2012 when I enquired in regard to the X100LE availability, I asked "Could you also confirm that this model has the new lens assembly that overcomes the "sticky aperture blades" problem?" they responded that "These cameras will have the newer lens assembly."

thomo's gear list:thomo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Df +10 more
intruder61
Senior MemberPosts: 2,558Gear list
Like?
Re: I have it in writing from Fujifilm (Australia)
In reply to thomo, Mar 28, 2012

thomo wrote:

In an e-mail received from them on 12 January 2012 when I enquired in regard to the X100LE availability, I asked "Could you also confirm that this model has the new lens assembly that overcomes the "sticky aperture blades" problem?" they responded that "These cameras will have the newer lens assembly."

+1....got the same response.....so i purchased the black one no dramas.

LaFonte
Senior MemberPosts: 2,641Gear list
Like?
In reply to malabito, Mar 29, 2012

Just look around, lot of people have indeed written response from fuji that all year 2 production cameras will have new lens assembly. No need to dig out skeletons.

malabito wrote:

LaFonte wrote:

Slinky I wrote:

Well said- Anton

-- hide signature --

LaFonte's gear list:LaFonte's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads