Been asked to do an exhibition...

Started Mar 27, 2012 | Discussions
lehill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,148Gear list
Like?
Been asked to do an exhibition...
Mar 27, 2012

I shoot a lot at the local nature preserve and center. The center people have asked me to exhibit some of my photos as part of their ongoing local artist exhibition series. Each exhibit is a 7 week run with a 2 hr presentation/reception.

I am allowed to sell my photos on display, pricing is typically ~$300 for a fancy framed and matted photo. I'm told typically 3-6 photos sell. I've seen several other photographer's work on display and believe mine are at least as good and in many cases better. Plus a local art gallery has volunteered to help advise on pricing (no doubt they will also happily sell me framing and matting too).

I have to come up with about $50 worth of printing costs for invitations and posters plus the framed matted photos. I usually see about 6? 8? photos on display. I would be happy to break even as I wind up with some nice stuff to hang at home.

Anyone done this before? Is there any chance of even breaking even? Or is this just some way to put stars in my eyes so the center can fill wall space for a few weeks?

Lance
--
Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5100 Zoom Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +18 more
Rashkae
Senior MemberPosts: 1,138Gear list
Like?
Re: Been asked to do an exhibition...
In reply to lehill, Mar 27, 2012

Depends really.... Sometimes it's just smoke up your bum, but if the audience is right it can be profitable.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cosmo13
Regular MemberPosts: 387Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rashkae, Mar 27, 2012

Framing is very expensive and will probably eat up any profit you make. That's why I do all my own framing. Invest in a good mat cutter and then scour the local flea markets and yard sales for frames. Mat board is also expensive but check around with some frame shops; they often discard some very usable scraps. Plus, do-it-yourself framing is fun, at least for me it is.

cosmo13's gear list:cosmo13's gear list
Sony SLT-A77
jaizon
Regular MemberPosts: 120
Like?
In reply to cosmo13, Mar 27, 2012

Two things.

1) You can't sell if you don't show.

2) Perhaps you can show the prints framed, but actually
sell them at a reduced price unframed. This will allow the
buyer to choose their own frame (since they might not like
yours but have to pay for it anyway). I suppose it would
depend on what gallery will allow. But it wouldn't hurt to
ask.

Good luck.

Steve Cohan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,191Gear list
Like?
This is the best advice.
In reply to jaizon, Mar 27, 2012

You can't wonder what will sell because visitors aren't robots. However, displaying your images can lead to other things. Do it without expectation and get your satisfaction from those enjoying your work.

Steve Cohan's gear list:Steve Cohan's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM +11 more
JudyN
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,835Gear list
Like?
In reply to lehill, Mar 27, 2012

If you want to sell, it's a great way to get started and learn a few things.

Especially in this market, I can't imagine you can make a profit unless you frame them yourself. In the last few years I've been selling many more prints (matted or not, with a backer board and bag that fits perfectly) than framed pieces, so I agree offering prints is a good idea.

-- hide signature --
 JudyN's gear list:JudyN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
lehill
Like?
In reply to lehill, Mar 28, 2012

Thanks everyone for the very good tips and advice. I guess I'll go ahead and do it.
--
Lance H

Fujifilm FinePix S5100 Zoom Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +18 more
venice
Senior MemberPosts: 1,574
Like?
In reply to JudyN, Mar 28, 2012

JudyN wrote:

If you want to sell, it's a great way to get started and learn a few things.

Especially in this market, I can't imagine you can make a profit unless you frame them yourself. In the last few years I've been selling many more prints (matted or not, with a backer board and bag that fits perfectly) than framed pieces, so I agree offering prints is a good idea.

-- hide signature --

Could you describe the bags?

Best,

Bill

Tubal
Contributing MemberPosts: 709Gear list
Like?

Even if you don't make any money, it seems like it would be personally rewarding to be asked and to exhibit your work. It says a lot about the talent you have.

Tubal's gear list:Tubal's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony DT 18-70mm F3.5-5.6 +10 more
Ralf B
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,989Gear list
Like?
Forget the profit and .... enjoy!

Making a profit on a first show - tough.
Receiving an audience's feedback and recognition - priceless.

Enjoy the whole venue from planning, making contacts, setting up, running it and teardown. You will remember your first exhibit for the rest of your life.

Have fun!

Cheers,
Ralf

Ralf B's gear list:Ralf B's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A55 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +11 more
lehill
Like?
Re: Forget the profit and .... enjoy!
In reply to Ralf B, Mar 31, 2012

This is very true. I find photography very rewarding on a personal basis. When friends on facebook go nuts over my photo - that's icing on the cake. Recognition from strangers is another positive dimension I've never experienced before and perhaps even sweeter icing.

The profit is so I can buy more goodies for photography.
--
Lance H

Gary-West Sussex
Regular MemberPosts: 377
Like?
In reply to lehill, Mar 31, 2012

Choose your pictures carefully........the trick is finding stuff that people will want to hang on their wall.

You will get so many people say "wow that is a good shot" but still won't buy unless they can envisage it on their wall at home.........this means you have to think about overall composure and colours very carefully.....especially backgounds.

JudyN
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,835Gear list
Like?
In reply to venice, Mar 31, 2012

They are plastic bags made just the right size for various standard objects. For example, I sell 11x14 without mats and 8x10s with a mat in a bag that is 11x14.

Galleries require prints to be properly packaged, which means backer board and bag at minimum. I suggest a standard label with the title location, your contact info, whatever else you want. If you are doing limited edition, that info would go on this label as well. Some people call it a "certificate of authenticity".

I buy them from clearbags.com but I think there are other sources. I buy backer boards as well so I don't have to cut them out of mat board.

Judy

venice wrote:

Could you describe the bags?

Best,

Bill

-- hide signature --
 JudyN's gear list:JudyN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads