Help with upgrading: Pentax K-5 or Sony A57

Started Mar 27, 2012 | Discussions
isb_deep
Regular MemberPosts: 163
Like?
Help with upgrading: Pentax K-5 or Sony A57
Mar 27, 2012

I had almost made up my mind to take the plunge and get myself a Pentax K-5 (especially in view of the current prices for the K-5, the Pentax promotion on the K-5 lasts till March 31st in the US), and then Sony announced the A57. Lower price, same sensor. I am looking for a camera with good low-light, indoor performance, which I may also use occasionally for taking pictures at air-shows. I am hoping Pentax users in this forum might be able to help me out in making the final decision (I have posted in the Sony forum as well, to get the views from the other side as well). I currently use a Fuji HS20

Pentax K-5 Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SRT201
Senior MemberPosts: 1,932
Like?
Re: Help with upgrading: Pentax K-5 or Sony A57
In reply to isb_deep, Mar 27, 2012

Sony has a lot to like but their heavy handed noise reduction always chases me away.

-- hide signature --

Life is NOT measured by the "moments that take your breath away" anymore than books are measured by the number of exclamation marks. The whole picture matters.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Charles2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,005
Like?
I used a Sony DSLR before I got a K-5

My Sony A700 fell victim to the control wheels/power switch malfunction, and out of warranty there is no recourse. I will never buy another Sony photography product.

So I got a Pentax K-5. Not only has it been reliable; it is a superior instrument by far, as well as host to a great selection of lenses. Haven't used it much for indoor low light, but the camera delivers huge amounts of shadow detail in the raw files.

I took this shot in windy, foggy rain with an old lens (note the Flickr groups for the photo). The background was a light gray blur to my eye at the scene. Developing the raw file I was able to get just enough suggestive detail while keeping the atmosphere of the atmospherics.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41790885@N08/6869173902/sizes/l/in/photostream/

asp1880
Regular MemberPosts: 250
Like?

The big difference between those two cameras seems to be the viewfinder - optical versus electronic. Since you already use a Fuji HS20, you know how an electronic viewfinder works.

The Sony EVF can show a histogram overlay, electronic horizon (wait, is that only the A77?) exposure compensation, white balance etc.. The OVF is supposedly better for manual focus, is sharper, has zero lag and doesn't eat batteries.

Regards,
--Anders.

NorthwestF
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029
Like?
In reply to asp1880, Mar 27, 2012

asp1880 wrote:

Since you already use a Fuji HS20, you know how an electronic viewfinder works.

Fuji HS20 has low quality 460k EVF that looks worse than LCD, exept in sunlight. A57 EVF, even though not as good as A65, Nex-7, is closer in size to Fiullframe cameras with 1.44 million pixels.

The Sony EVF can show a histogram overlay, electronic horizon (wait, is that only the A77?)

That's available on all models..

Gerry Winterbourne
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,421
Like?

isb_deep wrote:

I had almost made up my mind to take the plunge and get myself a Pentax K-5 (especially in view of the current prices for the K-5, the Pentax promotion on the K-5 lasts till March 31st in the US), and then Sony announced the A57. Lower price, same sensor. I am looking for a camera with good low-light, indoor performance, which I may also use occasionally for taking pictures at air-shows.

Basically the same sensor but the Sony fixed mirror loses some light (1/3 or 1/2 a stop) which can make a slight difference. Pentax engineers seem to squeeze a bit more out of this sensor than other makers.

The K-5 is a twin-dial body whereas the A57 is single dial: single dial is fine for millions of people but if you want to get the most control over your shooting twin dial is better - and more expensive. The K-5 is weather sealed, while the A57 isn't.

I am hoping Pentax users in this forum might be able to help me out in making the final decision (I have posted in the Sony forum as well, to get the views from the other side as well). I currently use a Fuji HS20

Despite what I said above, in strictly image terms there's not really a significant difference between the two bodies. There are some big differences in the lens line-ups, though. To get the best value from a good body you need good lenses: look at what both makers provide and decide which types of lens best suit your needs and compare prices.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

First camera 1953, first Pentax 1985, first DSLR 2006
http://www.pbase.com/gerrywinterbourne

isb_deep
Regular MemberPosts: 163
Like?
In reply to Gerry Winterbourne, Mar 28, 2012

Thank you all for your valuable inputs. I certainly find an EVF more practical to use and I can always use the money saved on lenses. I think I will wait for the A57's reviews to come out before taking the plunge. The K-5 can wait for now, and hopefully the prices will drop again by the time A57 is here

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads