Can you believe this opinion about E-M5?

Started Mar 26, 2012 | Discussions
Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,402Gear list
Like?
Can you believe this opinion about E-M5?
Mar 26, 2012

While I enjoyed Kai's video about cameras, this opinion from his mate in DigitalRev, Lok Cheung, is so strange.

"I was excited about the rumours of the Olympus OMD-E5, which I thought would be an OK-good camera. But then when it was announced I was more than a little disappointed. It is just a Micro Four Thirds PEN with a built-in electronic viewfinder. Yet another Micro Four-Thirds camera with EVF! It does look good, but still, nothing truly exciting. ... ... "

http://www.digitalrev.com/article/why-the-olympus-omd-e5/ODg4MDU3MA_A_A

illy
Forum ProPosts: 12,160Gear list
Like?
yes.....
In reply to Sergey Borachev, Mar 26, 2012

it is just another persons opinion, we all have them
--
working as intended

illy's gear list:illy's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tim in upstate NY
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,120Gear list
Like?
Re: Can you believe this opinion about E-M5?

Sergey Borachev wrote:

While I enjoyed Kai's video about cameras, this opinion from his mate in DigitalRev, Lok Cheung, is so strange.

"I was excited about the rumours of the Olympus OMD-E5, which I thought would be an OK-good camera. But then when it was announced I was more than a little disappointed. It is just a Micro Four Thirds PEN with a built-in electronic viewfinder. Yet another Micro Four-Thirds camera with EVF! It does look good, but still, nothing truly exciting. ... ... "

. . . When I saw how utterly stupid Kai's review of the E-PL3 was, I stopped paying any attention to that site.

Tim in upstate NY's gear list:Tim in upstate NY's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
snapper1967
Contributing MemberPosts: 673
Like?
In reply to Tim in upstate NY, Mar 26, 2012

Tim in upstate NY wrote:

Sergey Borachev wrote:

. . . When I saw how utterly stupid Kai's review of the E-PL3 was, I stopped paying any attention to that site.

I agree. This guy really knows nothing about photography. He's more about putting on a show. I pay no attention to his reviews.
--
Just enjoy what you do.

ZoranC
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,440
Like?
In reply to Tim in upstate NY, Mar 26, 2012

Tim in upstate NY wrote:

Sergey Borachev wrote:

Just of E-PL3?

MichaelKJ
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,011Gear list
Like?

Kai's reviews have no value other than an occasional laugh. IMO, he knows that and assumes that most of his viewers also know that his main purpose is to entertain. I suppose you have to give him credit, since people still watch his reviews and he's still in business.

MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Martin Ocando
Senior MemberPosts: 2,550Gear list
Like?

I was once like him, never cared about m43 until the OM-D called my attention. Then realized 4/3 sensors deliver comparable and even sometimes better IQ than APS-C sensors, then I sold my Canon 60D and I'm now enjoying a G3 with a few nice lenses on the way. So obviously he doesn't know nothing about m43 capabilities. Pay no attention.

Sergey Borachev wrote:

-- hide signature --

Martin Ocando
-------------------------

Martin Ocando's gear list:Martin Ocando's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +6 more
David247
Senior MemberPosts: 2,405Gear list
Like?
Just another opinion ....

Another opinion with no basis in fact or reality. The opinion was from 13 Feb 2012, more then 40 days ago, before we really knew much about the E-M5, or even seen any real images. He makes assumptions based upon speculation and archaic opinion without having seen, used or photographed with the camera apparently.

Move along, nothing of interest here.....

-- hide signature --
 David247's gear list:David247's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Olympus E-510
Gakuranman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,016
Like?
Re: Just another opinion ....
In reply to David247, Mar 26, 2012

Agreed. In addition to the opinion being old and before we found out about the amazing sensor in the E-M5, it's still just a personal preference. If weather sealing, improved IBIS (etc etc) don't actually matter to the reviewer, then the E-M5 is nothing more than a PEN with a built-in viewfinder for that person. Shrug

As it happens, I love the DigitalRev reviews. Kai and Lok know more than enough about photography, and they also know how to make a kick-ass Yotube show that attracts viewers and ultimately benefits the company's bottom line. I'd think twice before calling them stupid. They've carved out a niche reviewing digital products that isn't ho-hum boring. What would be stupid would be trying to compete with sites like Dpreview who have been producing detailed technical reviews for years and already built up a strong subscriber base.

David247 wrote:

Another opinion with no basis in fact or reality. The opinion was from 13 Feb 2012, more then 40 days ago, before we really knew much about the E-M5, or even seen any real images. He makes assumptions based upon speculation and archaic opinion without having seen, used or photographed with the camera apparently.

-- hide signature --
photo perzon
Senior MemberPosts: 3,481Gear list
Like?
Krazy Kai I love him
In reply to Gakuranman, Mar 26, 2012

He's nuts

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Midnighter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,727
Like?

The hype-o-rama meter went off the scale so who would not be disappointed if they had an unbiased view? Has the please-dont-say-it-was-made-by-Panasonic sensor hysteria worn off yet? I wonder what Panasonic users made of that face-slapping adventure.... what a put-down.

Melbourne Park
Senior MemberPosts: 2,405Gear list
Like?
In reply to Midnighter, Mar 26, 2012

But, he hasn't reviewed it yet.

He reviewed the Fujifilm X-Pro1, and he basically canned it. He looked at poor focus speeds, and soft lenses too. He summarised its strengths and weaknesses IMO. He has reviewed various Olympus products, and loves the 12mm lens, and the EP-3 too.

I look forward to an actual review from them.

Sergey Borachev
Like?
In reply to Melbourne Park, Mar 26, 2012

I think some of you are confused about who is who. Lok Cheung is not Kai, the one who talks like Clarkson of Top Gear. Lok is the other taller guy who sometimes accompany Kai in various shoots. I know Kai is funny and he tries to provide entertainment and so it is fine to exaggerate. I believe Lok knows a lot about cameras and he is not funny, which is why it was strange he would jump to conclusion like that, risking having to eat his words if this E-M5 should prove to be what it almost certainly will be.

Sergey Borachev
Like?
toscha_seidel
Regular MemberPosts: 197
Like?

The date of the published article is Feb 13, that's about a month ago.

I think it isn't that fair to accuse Lok of saying this because I suppose at that time nobody really knows how the sensor performs or the 5axis IBIS.
His opinion was, actually, what most people had initially: EM5=EP+VF2

Sergey Borachev wrote:

mh2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,539
Like?
Re: Just another opinion ....
In reply to Gakuranman, Mar 26, 2012

really, it is just a beautifully designed m43 camera that is weather sealed, has an updated sensor over the current Pens etc. It kinda is just a great Pen with built in VF... so what? If you want a 5D MKIII, then buy one.

Tremor16 wrote:

Agreed. In addition to the opinion being old and before we found out about the amazing sensor in the E-M5, it's still just a personal preference. If weather sealing, improved IBIS (etc etc) don't actually matter to the reviewer, then the E-M5 is nothing more than a PEN with a built-in viewfinder for that person. Shrug

As it happens, I love the DigitalRev reviews. Kai and Lok know more than enough about photography, and they also know how to make a kick-ass Yotube show that attracts viewers and ultimately benefits the company's bottom line. I'd think twice before calling them stupid. They've carved out a niche reviewing digital products that isn't ho-hum boring. What would be stupid would be trying to compete with sites like Dpreview who have been producing detailed technical reviews for years and already built up a strong subscriber base.

David247 wrote:

-- hide signature --
nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,600Gear list
Like?
Fair enough though

Sergey Borachev wrote:

Its probably still relevant even now if someone does not have a use for its features. For m4/3 I would wait and see what and if a GH3 brings and then decide. Thats just me though and I'm in no hurry. Some things that others rave over, others just turn the other way for one reason or another. Some just don't shoot high ISO or need IBIS/OIS.

All the best.

Danny.

m4/3 macro
http://www.macrophotos.com/g2macro

m4/3 feathered flying gadgets
http://www.macrophotos.com/avian/avian.html

Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

Sergey Borachev
Like?
In reply to toscha_seidel, Mar 26, 2012

toscha_seidel wrote:
The date of the published article is Feb 13, that's about a month ago.

I think it isn't that fair to accuse Lok of saying this because I suppose at that time nobody really knows how the sensor performs or the 5axis IBIS.
His opinion was, actually, what most people had initially: EM5=EP+VF2

Sergey Borachev wrote:

But I assume as a camera pro, he can read specs. While he might not know how the IQ could be (but still should not jump to conclusion IMO), he should know that this is the only M43 camera, in fact the only mirrorless camera, with weather proofing, and it has other unique/special features like Live Bulb, the fastest AF of all interchangeable lens cameras (as claimed by Olympus), a new 5-axis IBIS, Live tweak of exposure curves, and 9 fps.

szlevi
Contributing MemberPosts: 932Gear list
Like?
It is from FEBRUARY 13TH, what do you expect?

Seriously, relax. Their YT reviews are pretty cool, this should be fun too...

szlevi's gear list:szlevi's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +7 more
itairom
Regular MemberPosts: 430
Like?

Oh no, someone on the Internet isn't impressed with the E-M5! Assume battle positions!

I think the E-M5 is cool, but seriously, people here need to calm down.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads