PANASONIC 14-42 x VS 14-45 SAMPLES

Started Mar 25, 2012 | Discussions
widick
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
PANASONIC 14-42 x VS 14-45 SAMPLES
Mar 25, 2012

I TOOK THE ATTACHED 100% CROPS WITH A G3 ON A TRIPOD USING THE SELF TIMER. I PURCHASED THE 14-42 X AS A KIT LENS WITH A GX-1. I TOOK ALL PHOTOS AT F8 AND 1/100 SEC WITH AN ISO OF 400. THE FIRST PHOT0, #67, WAS TAKEN WITH THE X LENS AT 42MM WITH THE OIS ON, THE SECOND PHOTO, #69, WAS TAKEN WITH THE X LENS AT 42MM WITH THE OIS OFF, THE THIRD PHOTO, #71, WAS TAKEN WITH THE 14-45M AT 45MM WITH THE OIS ON. BASED ON ALL THE CONTROVERSEY SURROUNDING THE X LENS, I EXPECTED TO SEE SOME SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCES. I'D BE INTERESTED IN YOUR REACTIONS.

jazzbass62
Senior MemberPosts: 1,728Gear list
Like?
Re: PANASONIC 14-42 x VS 14-45 SAMPLES
In reply to widick, Mar 25, 2012

It's difficult to tell - but I thought the small lettering in the state logo in the lower left corner was just a smidgen more resolved in the 2nd photo compared with the first. Maybe this has to do using OIS on with a tripod (supposedly a no-no).

Without a shot of the 14-45mm in OIS off state, it's not possible to compare and look for the same thing I noted above.

Both 14-45 and the X-lens seem equally fine in these shots (to state the obvious). Did you focus these with MF or AFS?
--
---
Cleve

jazzbass62's gear list:jazzbass62's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
phototransformations
Senior MemberPosts: 2,594Gear list
Like?

My experience with two copies of the 45-175 X lens, which appears to have the same edge-doubling issue as the 14-42 X, is that it occurs only on about 1 out of every four shots, and I can see it only when I'm shooting at base ISO. At higher ISO, the software lens correction seems to more or less correct it, and what I see is slightly blurry images, but no edge doubling. So a couple of test shots might mean you have a good copy, or you may not have shot enough samples to show the defect. I have shot and looked at hundreds of shots, trying to figure out various ways to get rid of the edge doubling; for instance, damping the vibriation with my hand reduces its frequency somewhat. But if you have a lens with this issue, it has this issue. If you don't, you don't.

(By the way, ALL CAPS IS CONSIDERED SHOUTING AND IS HARD TO READ.)

phototransformations's gear list:phototransformations's gear list
Samsung TL500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +22 more
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,546Gear list
Like?

Corner sharpness and overall contrast is slightly better on the 45mm sample you posted than either of the other two.

That being said, this test doesn't show a heck of a lot. Why not try it on a three dimensional subject with more than one color and some patterning (maybe a house and some landscaping?). Also, you should test it at several apertures, not just the optimal f8....

I guarantee you you will see differences under those conditions. Whether or not they are either significant or important to you is another thing entirely.

-J

Holgs
Senior MemberPosts: 1,661
Like?
f8 is NOT optimal using m4/3!
In reply to jalywol, Mar 25, 2012

This is an often repeated belief that comes from larger sensor formats - that you need to stop down all the way to f8 for better performance.

Usually m4/3 lenses are at their best in a range of about f3.5-5.6. Stopping down may give more depth of field, but will result in less resolution on a flat image plane.

In practice, you also end up with less crisp photos because the shutter-speed is slower. In these test images, the blurriness is far more likely due to poor focus or camera shake, rather than any lens differences.

jalywol wrote:

Corner sharpness and overall contrast is slightly better on the 45mm sample you posted than either of the other two.

That being said, this test doesn't show a heck of a lot. Why not try it on a three dimensional subject with more than one color and some patterning (maybe a house and some landscaping?). Also, you should test it at several apertures, not just the optimal f8....

I guarantee you you will see differences under those conditions. Whether or not they are either significant or important to you is another thing entirely.

widick
Like?
In reply to jazzbass62, Mar 25, 2012

THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE, I SHOT ALL THE PICTURES WITH AFS. DIDN'T SHOOT THE 14-45 WITH OIS OFF SINCE AS FAR AS I KNOW THERE HAVE BEEN NO PROBLEMS REPORTED WITH THE 14-45 OIS. I'LL GIVE IT A TRY AND POST IT IF THERE'S ANY DIFFERENCE.

widick
Like?
Re: f8 is NOT optimal using m4/3!
In reply to Holgs, Mar 25, 2012

Thanks for your response. The reason I shot at F8 is that happens to provide the optimum overall ( center and edge ) resolution for both lenses according to Ephotozine's tests and my own experience. Even then I had to boost the ISO to 400 to get the exposure down into the 1/50-1/200 range.

widick
Like?
In reply to phototransformations, Mar 25, 2012

Thanks for your response. I forgot about the caps rule. I prefer all caps myself.

widick
Like?
Re: f8 is NOT optimal using m4/3!
In reply to Holgs, Mar 25, 2012

Thanks for your response. For what it's worth, in the case of these two lenses optimal overall resolution ( center and edge ) is at F8 when zoomed all in per Ephotozine and SLR Gear.

jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,546Gear list
Like?

widick wrote:

THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE, I SHOT ALL THE PICTURES WITH AFS. DIDN'T SHOOT THE 14-45 WITH OIS OFF SINCE AS FAR AS I KNOW THERE HAVE BEEN NO PROBLEMS REPORTED WITH THE 14-45 OIS. I'LL GIVE IT A TRY AND POST IT IF THERE'S ANY DIFFERENCE.

If you are on a tripod, both types of IS (IBIS or OIS) are supposed to be shut off, as per the instruction manuals for Oly and Panasonic cameras. It can introduce bliur itself in those situations.

-J

Red G8R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,602Gear list
Like?
In reply to jalywol, Mar 25, 2012

I see no difference.
--
Peter
Ontario, Canada

Red G8R's gear list:Red G8R's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
amtberg
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,040
Like?
wrong test, on several levels

When the 14-42X has a problem it's generally at shutter speeds between 1/80 and 1/250, so your test doesn't check for the problem. The problem is also worse with OIS on, but you're not going to see the full effect of that with the camera mounted on a tripod.

bg2b
Contributing MemberPosts: 897
Like?
Order is not as described

From the EXIF info, your middle shot is the 14-45mm one. And if you look at the smaller text at the bottom, it indeed seems a bit clearer.

bg2b
Contributing MemberPosts: 897
Like?
Not quite so wrong
In reply to amtberg, Mar 25, 2012

The EXIF says that the shutter speeds were 1/80 and 1/100, in the sometimes-trouble range.

widick
Like?
Re: Order is not as described
In reply to bg2b, Mar 26, 2012

Thanks for your response and for pointing out my error. I've just posted a second pass with an additional sample, hopefully, all in the correct order.

widick
Like?
Re: wrong test, on several levels
In reply to amtberg, Mar 26, 2012

1/100 sec is not between 1/80sec and 1/200 sec?

widick
Like?
In reply to jazzbass62, Mar 26, 2012

Just reposted with the additional sample you suggested.

Kevdog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,352Gear list
Like?
Re: wrong test, on several levels
In reply to widick, Mar 26, 2012

When I tested my 14-42 X I took 3 shots of a street sign at each shutter speed between 1/60 and 1/200 of a second and zoomed in to 42mm. 11 of the 18 had double edges. I suggest you try the same thing to ensure your copy doesn't have the issue.

When it was clear, it was very clear. When it was bad, it was very bad!

Here is one of the bad ones.

Kevdog's gear list:Kevdog's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads