NEX-7 and Tamron 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di III VC

Started Mar 25, 2012 | Discussions
PaulR
Regular MemberPosts: 316Gear list
Like?
NEX-7 and Tamron 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di III VC
Mar 25, 2012

I just got my NEX-7 with the kit 18-55mm lens a couple of days ago (thank you Sony Style) but I also ordered the Tamron 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di III VC. My first impressions are that the lenses are roughly comparable in sharpness wide open but the Tamron is a bit sharper around f8 but with a tad more distortion.

But I have run into two problems with the Tamron 18-200mm and I wonder if it is my copy of the lens or if others are seeing the same thing. Sweep Panorama has resulted in terrible results with the Tamron and I guess others have also reported that but is this something that can/will be fixed in the future?

Also, with the Tamron lense I am noticing a very old sort of behavior where the lens seems to fluctuate a bit when I'm looking at a subject. It is almost as if it zooms in and out a few mm without my touching any of the controls or maybe it has something to do with the vibration control? Anyhow, it is very disconcerting even though I haven't noticed it affecting the actual photos. Has anybody else experienced this?

I love the look and size of the Tamron but I'm having second thoughts about not having gotten the Sony 18-200.

With either lens the image quality from the NEX-7 is fairly spectacular although the camera is very sensitive to any sort of movement or focus issues which I guess is to be expected with a 24MP sensor.

PaulR's gear list:PaulR's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7R Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +1 more
Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dquangt
Contributing MemberPosts: 961
Like?
tamron is fixing the issue if you send it in
In reply to PaulR, Mar 25, 2012

there are a bunch of threads about this already and yes it affects all lenses. tamron was asked about it and after a few months just recently said they have found a solution, but that means you have to send them the lens for them to repair.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,979Gear list
Like?
Re: NEX-7 and Tamron 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di III VC

PaulR wrote:

I love the look and size of the Tamron but I'm having second thoughts about not having gotten the Sony 18-200.

I'd say keep it and if you want to do a lot of panoramas, send it in for repair. The Tamron is smaller, lighter, and has no creep compared to the Sony. Optically, in real world use? They are one and the same, with the Sony having a bit of an edge when recording video, as it turns on SuperSteadyShot (SSS), this has no effect on images, however. VC and OSS are the same.

With either lens the image quality from the NEX-7 is fairly spectacular although the camera is very sensitive to any sort of movement or focus issues which I guess is to be expected with a 24MP sensor.

You got that right, I'm finding pixel level smearing on a 50mm when at 1/200th if I'm not rock-steady! The N7's sensor is extremely demanding of good technique!

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
PaulR
Regular MemberPosts: 316Gear list
Like?
Re: tamron is fixing the issue if you send it in
In reply to dquangt, Mar 25, 2012

I had read about the problems with sweep panorama but I had hoped it had been fixed. The issue with the random zooming in and out isn't something I've read about before and I wonder if others have seen that.

PaulR's gear list:PaulR's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7R Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +1 more
JIngrouille
Contributing MemberPosts: 641Gear list
Like?
Re: NEX-7 and Tamron 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di III VC

I bought the Tamron and didn't like it as all, I found corners very soft and overall not that sharp , but I did like the size and weight. I have now bought a 18-200 Sony and it's much better. Focus is quicker , edge to edge is excellent and it very good throughout the range where as I found the Tamron not very good in the mid range. It's a shame really as the one I got was a black one which looked really great on the Nex 7, I really wanted to like the Tamron as it's nicer looking and as I said it's lighter, where as the sony also restricts the gap between your fingers and the grip as it's quite a bit fatter.

JIngrouille's gear list:JIngrouille's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads