Upgraded to a 5DIII from a D700

Started Mar 25, 2012 | Discussions
SCR Johnson
Junior MemberPosts: 32Gear list
Like?
Upgraded to a 5DIII from a D700
Mar 25, 2012

The 5DIII was what I wanted the D800 to be... a balanced upgrade- significant, yet modest upgrade in pixel count, addition of video, refreshed user interface. 36 megapixels sounds swell until you try processing them on a MacBook Air. So I switched. Today was my first day with the 5DIII and it was a lot of fun to use. The UI is straight forward and I love the way it handles. I look forward to spending more time with this camera!

SCR Johnson's gear list:SCR Johnson's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +5 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
aftab
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,127Gear list
Like?
Re: Upgraded to a 5DIII from a D700
In reply to SCR Johnson, Mar 25, 2012

Your family seems to be very happy with your decision too.

Lovely image. Great light and colors. Excellent balance of sharpness and oof background. And great models too. Please share more pictures and experience.
--
Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

aftab's gear list:aftab's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D600 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
harishkl
New MemberPosts: 12Gear list
Like?

Congrats on having 5d3...i have to wait for few months to get it :(...awesome colors...post some more

harishkl's gear list:harishkl's gear list
Canon EOS 500D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
jambalawa
Contributing MemberPosts: 718Gear list
Like?
In reply to harishkl, Mar 25, 2012

I see some banding on your daughter's left wrist.

jambalawa's gear list:jambalawa's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +2 more
abracadabenhotmailfr
Contributing MemberPosts: 637
Like?
In reply to aftab, Mar 25, 2012

thats right before she read canon on the camera, then she was like "how much did u spend?!!??!"
lol, joking...

Volksgti81
Contributing MemberPosts: 737Gear list
Like?

Great shot good to see you're happy with your purchase.

Volksgti81's gear list:Volksgti81's gear list
Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM
LandscapeArtist17
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?

For some reason, I still not have found a 5d Mark III real life image to blow me away. Where as a majority of the d800 has, particularly in the portraits. It has a more natural look, focus on the face. I have a 5d mark II and one L lens..I am really considering switching after a thorough dpreview on both d800 and 5d Mark III. I hope the 5d shines because 36mp is to much for my computer to process. Oh well maybe give me more reason to upgrade my pc?

Eugeniu Sofroni
Regular MemberPosts: 169Gear list
Like?
In reply to LandscapeArtist17, Mar 25, 2012

LandscapeArtist17 wrote:

For some reason, I still not have found a 5d Mark III real life image to blow me away. Where as a majority of the d800 has, particularly in the portraits. It has a more natural look, focus on the face.

Please post/link those "focus on the face" shots you are talking about

Eugeniu Sofroni's gear list:Eugeniu Sofroni's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D
AllanW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,171Gear list
Like?

Being a D700 owner myself, I would be very interested in your thoughts on the AF system comparison of these two cameras.

Many thanks!

-- hide signature --

Time Goes By!

paulesko
Regular MemberPosts: 144
Like?

I´d have switched computers.

SCR Johnson wrote:

The 5DIII was what I wanted the D800 to be... a balanced upgrade- significant, yet modest upgrade in pixel count, addition of video, refreshed user interface. 36 megapixels sounds swell until you try processing them on a MacBook Air. So I switched. Today was my first day with the 5DIII and it was a lot of fun to use. The UI is straight forward and I love the way it handles. I look forward to spending more time with this camera!

-- hide signature --
Earthlight
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,170
Like?

That's a lovely image. What a beautiful family you have.

The WB is a little cool on the faces (IMHO), I'd give it a tad more warmth.

Earthlight

-- hide signature --
aftab
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,127Gear list
Like?
In reply to LandscapeArtist17, Mar 25, 2012

LandscapeArtist17 wrote:

For some reason, I still not have found a 5d Mark III real life image to blow me away. Where as a majority of the d800 has, particularly in the portraits. It has a more natural look, focus on the face. I have a 5d mark II and one L lens..I am really considering switching after a thorough dpreview on both d800 and 5d Mark III. I hope the 5d shines because 36mp is to much for my computer to process. Oh well maybe give me more reason to upgrade my pc?

Jury is still out, but most of the images I have seen from D800 is similar to that of a cell phone image. The rest was average. Only few blew me away.

None of the 5D3 images blew me away, but all of them looked hugely better than cell phone image. Most were average and some were brilliant.

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

aftab's gear list:aftab's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D600 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +2 more
Stoneh
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?

Excellent photo, im sure your going to have a lot of fun with it. Good decision too based on your requirements and workflow

Earthlight
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,170
Like?

aftab wrote:

Jury is still out, but most of the images I have seen from D800 is similar to that of a cell phone image.

Now there's a quote for the history books.

Earthlight

-- hide signature --
raybies
Forum MemberPosts: 87
Like?

aftab wrote:

Your family seems to be very happy with your decision too.

No his son seems puzzled by his decisions... Macbook Air dad?

You paid an extra $500 for an inferior camera and then also had to replace all your lenses... ARE YOU for real dad?

SCR Johnson
Like?
In reply to AllanW, Mar 25, 2012

Based on my limited experience so far, it is really good... a bit quicker than the D700. I set it up similar to how I had the D700 set up- decoupled focusing from the shutter button, AI-Servo selected and use the AF-on button to focus exclusively. This makes it easy to track moving subjects or focus/recompose static subjects. The tracking moving subjects is where the 5DM3 seems to be a bit better than the D700. My guess is additional processing power makes it quicker to track over the 61 points.

Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +5 more
SCR Johnson
Like?
In reply to raybies, Mar 25, 2012

I have a 27" iMac as well. However from a portability perspective I have found it lacking. It was very cumbersome to hold in my lap on the sofa while I watch my kids and trying to use it while sitting in coach on a plane- forget it!

I did think about the $500 difference and came to a couple of conclusions:

1) over the first year of ownership, my guess is the total spent on the two different systems will be about the same taking into consideration lens, storage, card purchases etc.

2) with everyone buying D800s, I should be able to fetch top dollar for my lenses (based on what the Nikon 24-70 is going for used I can buy a new Canon 24-70)

3) I have an inferiority complex. Choosing the inferior Canon was my only choice. I am not worthy of the Nikon

AllanW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,171Gear list
Like?

Thanks for the feedback! Greatly appreciated!

SCR Johnson wrote:

Based on my limited experience so far, it is really good... a bit quicker than the D700. I set it up similar to how I had the D700 set up- decoupled focusing from the shutter button, AI-Servo selected and use the AF-on button to focus exclusively. This makes it easy to track moving subjects or focus/recompose static subjects. The tracking moving subjects is where the 5DM3 seems to be a bit better than the D700. My guess is additional processing power makes it quicker to track over the 61 points.

-- hide signature --

Time Goes By!

Marcos Villaroman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,272Gear list
Like?

Congratulations on your new DSLR. Isn't it nice to get the DSLR purchase out of the way so that you con concentrate on taking pictures and figuring out what lens to buy next?

I was curious:

Which lens did you have with the Nikon?

Which lens are you getting initially with the 5D III? What do you plan on buying in the near term?

The hit larger files have on post processing definitely can be felt. While on vacation, I use an old dual core laptop. Painfully slow with Canon's RAW files and so when I have the disk space, I shoot RAW+JPEG so that I can use the JPEGs to judge initial composition and do some quick sharing. Given my needs in a laptop, a MacBook Air or UltraBook best suits me. So I can see huge file processing to continue to be an issue.

At home I'm currently trying the new lens correction features in DPP that results in much larger CR2 files. Ouch on the disk space increase. Looks like I'm going to have to expand my 24 TB file server sooner than I anticipated.

Marcos Villaroman's gear list:Marcos Villaroman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +39 more
rondhamalam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,552
Like?
5D3 BASE Iso25,600, other model base iso6400 only

5D3 BASE Iso25,600, other model base iso6400 only

This is brilliant for Video where out of camera result is the majorly appreciated

Base iso is huge thing

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads