5N and poor man's macro

Started Mar 24, 2012 | Discussions
Eduardo Lohmann
Regular MemberPosts: 131Gear list
Like?
5N and poor man's macro
Mar 24, 2012

I think this is a nice example of what one can get with cheap extension tubes...
Maybe the focus area is not OK (shallow DOF!), but I am amazed at the details...

This is a macro of a 10 brazilian "reais" bill (R$10.00). For those who don't know here's the bill: http://www.bcb.gov.br/htms/mecir/seguranca/seg010.asp?idpai=REALSEGUR

taken with nikkor 50mm 1.8 (from the 80's I think) and an extension tube very much like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Macro-Extension-Tube-Ring-For-Nikon-D5000-D3100-D90-D300-D700-D7000-D5100-Camera-/350550904325?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519e764e05#ht_3290wt_682

Of course this is not for the pros or "serious hobbyst", just for you who love to have a little fun with macros..

Eduardo Lohmann's gear list:Eduardo Lohmann's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +7 more
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 8,028
Like?
Re: 5N and poor man's macro
In reply to Eduardo Lohmann, Mar 24, 2012

The out of focus parts are just because you are shooting the bill at an angle. Get the camera (the sensor) parallel to the bill and it will all be in focus.

Extension tubes are fine with an f/1.8 or f/2.8 lens. You might get less good results with an f/1.4.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Eduardo Lohmann
Like?
In reply to D Cox, Mar 24, 2012

Thanks for the tip!!!

Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +7 more
twald
Regular MemberPosts: 491Gear list
Like?
In reply to Eduardo Lohmann, Mar 24, 2012

Another tip; get a camera cap and glue a 49mm filter thread to it. Then attach the 16mm to it by the filter threads, so that it is mounted to the camera in reverse. The kit zoom works too, but a wider lens will give you more magnification mounted in reverse.

You can also cut a hole into a lens cap and glue a filter glass over the hole; that way you can protect the back of the lens from dust

Here's what it can do;

DuncanDovovan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277
Like?
In reply to twald, Mar 25, 2012

What is the focus distance in this combination? How close is the ballpoint to the back of the SEL16F28?

golfpan
Regular MemberPosts: 258Gear list
Like?
In reply to twald, Mar 25, 2012

Can you give us a picture of the cap and glued filter? This sounds interesting, and the results are impressive, I'm just having trouble visualizing exactly what the modified part looks like.

golfpan's gear list:golfpan's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +12 more
photoholiko
Contributing MemberPosts: 569Gear list
Like?
In reply to golfpan, Mar 25, 2012

There are also reverse adapters that lets you stack two lenses, one in reverse.

I also own a 52mm thread to Nikon mount adapter which lets you mount any brand lens in reverse directly to a Nikon camera.

photoholiko's gear list:photoholiko's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Canon EOS 70D Epson PhotoPC 850 Zoom Minolta DiMAGE 7 +19 more
photoholiko
Contributing MemberPosts: 569Gear list
Like?
In reply to Eduardo Lohmann, Mar 25, 2012

This is a Sigma/Minolta mount lens on a Nikon DSLR mounted in reverse.

photoholiko's gear list:photoholiko's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Canon EOS 70D Epson PhotoPC 850 Zoom Minolta DiMAGE 7 +19 more
Eduardo Lohmann
Like?
In reply to photoholiko, Mar 25, 2012

My cheap extensiontube allows me to reverse the lens too, but not stacking i believe...

photoholiko wrote:

There are also reverse adapters that lets you stack two lenses, one in reverse.

I also own a 52mm thread to Nikon mount adapter which lets you mount any brand lens in reverse directly to a Nikon camera.

Eduardo Lohmann
Like?
In reply to twald, Mar 26, 2012

Having trouble to visualize this, please post a pic (you have to cut a hole in the camera cap??)

twald wrote:

Another tip; get a camera cap and glue a 49mm filter thread to it. Then attach the 16mm to it by the filter threads, so that it is mounted to the camera in reverse. The kit zoom works too, but a wider lens will give you more magnification mounted in reverse.

You can also cut a hole into a lens cap and glue a filter glass over the hole; that way you can protect the back of the lens from dust

Here's what it can do;

twald
Like?
In reply to Eduardo Lohmann, Mar 26, 2012

Sorry for not being clearer. I have included some pictures to help explain what I did.

Here's an original NEX cap that fits on the camera body, along with one that I modified to construct an adapter. I used superglue to fasten the filter ring to the cap. Since the cap was just a shell, I filled the back with JB Weld and then drilled a hole to accommodate the NEX lens locking pin.

Here's a back view. Note the JB Weld.

To protect the back of the lens from dust, I cut a hole through a lens cap and glued a filter over it. Here's another picture showing the original alongside the finished product.

Mounted:

Here's the whole deal. Note that the rectangular opening at the back of the lens is not oriented to match the sensor; you could align these at the time of assembly. It shows no vignetting, though, so I'm not worried about it.

The plane of focus is about an inch from the end of the lens (about 3/4" from the cap shown here) . Theoretically, you could move it farther away by bringing the lens closer to the sensor, but that would decrease your image magnification. I have not experimented with back or front focusing the lens before using it, but it should make at lest some difference. The diffraction characteristics seem to hold in reverse too, so diffraction will start degrading the image at smaller than f10. You want a small aperture because the DOF gets too small at close focus distances.

Penny.

I think the 16mm is especially well suited for this, for several reasons. The lens has excellent center sharpness and it seems that the center is all that is being used when mounted this way. Also, as a wide lens, it provides a good deal of magnification and its compact size helps to keep the system small.

Anyone try this with the UWA converter?

twald
Like?

Here's another penny picture with the 16mm. I tried to match the color to the original. There may be some motion blur on these ...

Eduardo Lohmann
Like?

Great!!!

I would never have the skill to do something like this! Congratulations. Great results.

.. and now....please make another pair and tell how much would you want

jazzroy1972
Regular MemberPosts: 172
Like?

Maybe all of you ignore the NEX mounte reverse adapter, which does exactly the same thing, costs 10 bucks, and is on ebay since one year ago..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/49mm-reverse-macro-adapter-for-SONY-NEX-5-NEX-3-NEX-5-3-/140454192515?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b3b8e583

I used it for some fun tests, and it works pretty well, but.. focus range gets really short, like a couple of millimiters.

twald
Like?
In reply to jazzroy1972, Mar 26, 2012

There you go, Eduardo Lohmann !

jazzroy1972 wrote:

... NEX mounte reverse adapter ... costs 10 bucks, and is on ebay since one year ago..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/49mm-reverse-macro-adapter-for-SONY-NEX-5-NEX-3-NEX-5-3-/140454192515?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b3b8e583

txabi
Regular MemberPosts: 401Gear list
Like?

OK, I'll bite. I just got myself some extension tubes and will soon try them on my 5N. 10 bucks for some macro work, no brainer. Can't wait to try it!

txabi's gear list:txabi's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nokia Lumia 920
Charlie Lab
Regular MemberPosts: 348Gear list
Like?

I picked up an old but pristine Vivitar 2x macro tele-converter for my Minolta lenses and tried it out for the first time this weekend. It's a pretty interesting piece of kit, acting as a 2x tele-converter, but also has a sliding macro (acts like an integrated macro tube) that allows you to focus from infinity to 1:1 macro. The picture below was taken with my 58mm f1.4 Minolta Rokkor with macro tele adapter attached (making it 116mm on APS-C, or 174mm full frame equivalent, but in macro mode).

Here is a very small sea anemone, a little less than 1" across... it's underwater in a tidal pool, so not ideal shooting conditions... it's also not very high res, as it's saved as a small jpeg since my gallery is full those are grains of sand on top of the anemone, to give you some idea of scale.

I'm new to macro photography, but I can see the appeal already. the one-piece adapter will make it a lot easier to keep my macro kit with me, I imagine.

Charlie Lab
Regular MemberPosts: 348Gear list
Like?
In reply to Charlie Lab, Mar 26, 2012

One more, less close-up, but taken through air instead of water...

Elite83
Contributing MemberPosts: 831Gear list
Like?
In reply to Charlie Lab, Mar 27, 2012

Charlie Lab wrote:

One more, less close-up, but taken through air instead of water...

What lens/combination did you use? Reversed 16mm?

Elite83's gear list:Elite83's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake
DuncanDovovan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277
Like?
In reply to Eduardo Lohmann, Mar 28, 2012

Did somebody try to reverse mount the SEL50F18 either to the kit zoom SEL1855 or to the SEL18200?

Does it pair nicely for Macro?

Working distance?

How is the vignetting at several focal lengths on the zoom?

Background: http://thehowzone.com/how/Micro-Photos/3

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads