Buying D800 in the U.S...

Started Mar 24, 2012 | Discussions
Marek07
Regular MemberPosts: 248Gear list
Like?
Buying D800 in the U.S...
Mar 24, 2012

I am based in London, and going to the states in May, I was just wondering what is the Best and cheapest way to purchase the D800 over there as U.K. prices seem way over the odds! Also does this effect the warranty on the Camera in any way! Are there any Pros and Cons I should know about??

Kind Regards....

Marek07's gear list:Marek07's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,927Gear list
Like?
Re: Buying D800 in the U.S...
In reply to Marek07, Mar 24, 2012

Some people are naive

What do you think your chances are of finding a shop anywhere in the world that does not sell out of D800's within 30 minutes of getting a shipment?

If you buy in a USA shop State and City taxes are added to the price - rarely less than 10% combined.

If you use a credit card to pay in US $ the credit card company increases the conversion rate by about 3% when the item appears on your bill.
There is no world wide warranty on DSLR bodies.

Assuming you get one in USA if you do not declare it and pay 20% VAT at UK customs you commit a crime.

If you add 20% to USA prices to get to a UK tax inclusive price UK prices are similar to USA.
--
Leonard Shepherd

Photography could be easier - if cameras and lenses came with an increase in skill button.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kenwj
Contributing MemberPosts: 507Gear list
Like?

You might no be able to get one here in May. Nikon may still be working down the pre-order list. It is selling everywhere for $3,000. If you pay more you are being ripped off.

kenwj's gear list:kenwj's gear list
Nikon D800
Biggs23
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,467Gear list
Like?
In reply to Leonard Shepherd, Mar 24, 2012

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

If you buy in a USA shop State and City taxes are added to the price - rarely less than 10% combined.

Only if you're in a major city. For reference, there's no county in my entire state that has a sales tax rate higher than 7%, and most are 6%.

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Dabbler
Senior MemberPosts: 1,136
Like?
In reply to Biggs23, Mar 24, 2012

If you have it shipped out of state, for instance you order from B&H in NY and ship it to Ohio, there's no tax. You should contact UK Customs to find out what the hit is on that side of the pond. The warranty is another issue. And whether retailers will have shelf stock by then is a whole 'nother question.
--
Michael

wukungsun
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
In reply to Dabbler, Mar 24, 2012

If you plan your trip right, five states have no sales tax: Delaware, New Hampshire, Montana, Oregon, and Alaska. On top of it they happen to be very scenic!

WK

mkln
Regular MemberPosts: 156Gear list
Like?

I think it's better for you to find something in switzerland. prices seemed to be as low as the dollar conversion (if not lower). but you'd need to be careful about taxes to compare.

you would lose the warranty. you would need to buy an external service such as mackcam (around 80 dollars).

the chances of you going to the us and managing to get a D800 in a short period of time are slim anyway.

Marek07 wrote:

I am based in London, and going to the states in May, I was just wondering what is the Best and cheapest way to purchase the D800 over there as U.K. prices seem way over the odds! Also does this effect the warranty on the Camera in any way! Are there any Pros and Cons I should know about??

Kind Regards....

mkln's gear list:mkln's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
mgblack74
Senior MemberPosts: 1,529Gear list
Like?

UK has pre-paid national medical and dental no? How is that paid? Through VAT? Keep it in the country man. If anything goes wrong with it, you'll have to fly back to te states to get it fixed. I reckon that more expensive that just buying it at home in the first place.

Marek07 wrote:

Kind Regards....

-- hide signature --

"You're guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

mgblack74's gear list:mgblack74's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +4 more
Sealtainn
Forum MemberPosts: 81
Like?
In reply to mgblack74, Mar 24, 2012

mgblack74 wrote:

UK has pre-paid national medical and dental no? How is that paid? Through VAT?

No, it is not.
It is paid for through National Insurance contributions taken out of every pay.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads