http://www.dpreview.com/articles/4560015991/sigma-30mm-f28-on-the-nex-7

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,971Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 30mm f/2.8 Review
In reply to El Matadurr, Mar 24, 2012

Just as I figured, it's optimized for wide open usage. Still though, a shame it isn't an f/2.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cptrios
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347
Like?

Make sure you look at the full-size samples on Flickr, not the crops on the review page. The crops, for some reason, are upsized to something like 200%!

Sharpness really looks excellent right from f/2.8. The only problem is the CA, which we already knew about (but is still annoying). Crossing my fingers that the 19 is just as good!

sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,118Gear list
Like?

He recommends it. I looked at a few of the originals and I thought the Sigma 30 was pretty impressive. Since I bought the Zeiss 24, I am in no mood for the Sigma like I had originally planned. But I am happy to see a pretty good smaller lens appearing in emount.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,696Gear list
Like?

El Matadurr wrote:

Just as I figured, it's optimized for wide open usage. Still though, a shame it isn't an f/2.

Pity, would indeed be a winner at f/2. Now it will be compared with the SEL30M35.

The Sigma is smaller, and is black, and will appeal to many. But at almost the same speed as the Sony macro lens, it is a tough comparison.

I recommend the SAL35F18 with LA-EA2, for now. Pricier, but much more interesting, until the SEL version comes along.

Still, the Sigma will be the next-smallest-E-lens with AF. I can see a lot of takers.

Let's see what the 19mm will look like.

P.S. looks like dpreview is reading our posts

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
cptrios
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, Mar 24, 2012

blue_skies wrote:

Pity, would indeed be a winner at f/2. Now it will be compared with the SEL30M35.

The Sigma is smaller, and is black, and will appeal to many. But at almost the same speed as the Sony macro lens, it is a tough comparison.

Yeah, except it appears to completely blow away the 30/3.5 in terms of corner-to-corner IQ. Plus there's the whole macro thing, which makes the comparison pretty irrelevant.

El Matadurr
Like?
In reply to cptrios, Mar 24, 2012

cptrios wrote:

Make sure you look at the full-size samples on Flickr, not the crops on the review page. The crops, for some reason, are upsized to something like 200%!

Sharpness really looks excellent right from f/2.8. The only problem is the CA, which we already knew about (but is still annoying). Crossing my fingers that the 19 is just as good!

I didn't notice that, that's pretty damn sharp for a 200% crop. Wow!
And yeah, CA's, boo. thank god for the purple slider in LR!

El Matadurr
Like?
In reply to sean lancaster, Mar 24, 2012

sean lancaster wrote:

He recommends it. I looked at a few of the originals and I thought the Sigma 30 was pretty impressive. Since I bought the Zeiss 24, I am in no mood for the Sigma like I had originally planned. But I am happy to see a pretty good smaller lens appearing in emount.

I'm still wanting the Zeiss myself. I love those blue stickers...

But seriously, I hope I can scrounge the money together before the prices go up next month...

El Matadurr
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, Mar 24, 2012

@Henry

I believe there definitely is a market for those who want better quality than the 16mm but don't want to get a bigger lens, so there's that. Though the fact that it is sharp in the corners at f/2.8 on the NEX-7 is something worth noting.

And what about DPreview reading our posts? 0.o

jerome_munich
Contributing MemberPosts: 738
Like?
In reply to cptrios, Mar 24, 2012

cptrios wrote:

Yes, and I don't know why.

bloomoose
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,215Gear list
Like?
I have mine on order ...

It will delivered to me in a few days, I ordered from Foto Mundus, Germany.

The reason why I didn´t get the 19 mm is, because I´d rather use the 16 mm kit lens I have for the time being, because it is quite good stopped down, and it is more compact than the Sigma. But I might get it anyway, once it is widely available and if it is much better than the 16 mm. Can´t wait for side-by-side comparisons.

I own the 35 3.5 macro lens and - as a matter of fact - it is my main lens at the moment as I love normal focal lengths. But I hate the size, honestly. Even the Sigmas are slightly bulgy, but much better than the 35 macro or even Zeiss 24. If I want to use the NEX system for travel without any DSLR around, I use the 18-200 OSS. But I usually carry a NEX with me (I own three C3) just in case and I want that to be almost as small as a compact camera.
--
Greetings from Germany,
Pam
http://www.model-kartei.de/sedcard/fotograf/184280/

bloomoose's gear list:bloomoose's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX300 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7 +10 more
wll
wll
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,820
Like?

El Matadurr wrote:

In case you don't see it to the right of your screen:
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/4560015991/sigma-30mm-f28-on-the-nex-7

I'm impressed, I would sure like to see a full Sigma lens line with this quality !

wll

Uncivilizedamd
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
Re: In stock at B&H
In reply to bloomoose, Mar 24, 2012

It's in stock at B&H photo!

RussellInCincinnati
Senior MemberPosts: 3,194
Like?
a beautiful 135(!) gram enhancement for the Nex

My goodness, this lens performs splendidly, even wide open, even on the Nex 7...which is not too kind to lenses in the corner. Here's a wide open (F/2.8) test image, resampled to a reasonable display size (click "Original").

To my eyes a completely professional performance.

Of course now looking forward to the upcoming 19mm/F2.8, foolishly wishing it will be as good and inexpensive as the '30. If it were, what a great $700 kit, the Sigma 19mm and 30mm, plus an e.bay Alpha mount 18-55 kit zoom(just avoid using 55mm), plus the Alpha 85/2.8.

woof woof
Senior MemberPosts: 1,432
Like?
In reply to Uncivilizedamd, Mar 24, 2012

Does anyone know...

Is it possible to manually fine tune focus in AF mode? Like you can with a USM/HSM lens? Or do you have to switch from AF to manual like with the more mechanical designs?

I too wish that it had a wider aperture. I was shooting indoors today and at f2 I was really at the slowest speed I was happy with. With f2.8 the only real option would have been to increase the ISO.

bloomoose
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,215Gear list
Like?
Re: a beautiful 135(!) gram enhancement for the Nex
In reply to RussellInCincinnati, Mar 24, 2012

I read on a German forum, the 19 mm seems to be just as cheap and very good if you get a centered copy.

The image you posted looks like it was taken in Germany. HUK is an insurance company not far away from where I live.
--
Greetings from Germany,
Pam
http://www.model-kartei.de/sedcard/fotograf/184280/

bloomoose's gear list:bloomoose's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX300 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7 +10 more
RussellInCincinnati
Senior MemberPosts: 3,194
Like?
yes, anyone know if Sigma '30 kicks off auto-magnification?
In reply to woof woof, Mar 24, 2012

Theoretically an E-mount lens could implement electronic focus ring movement sensing, that could kick off automatic 7x magnification in the viewfinder whenever you touch the focus ring. Doubt that Sigma has implemented that, i.e. totally wishful thinking, but does anybody know yet?

laurihoefs
Regular MemberPosts: 102Gear list
Like?
In reply to woof woof, Mar 24, 2012

woof woof wrote:

Is it possible to manually fine tune focus in AF mode? Like you can with a USM/HSM lens? Or do you have to switch from AF to manual like with the more mechanical designs?

DMF?

I too wish that it had a wider aperture. I was shooting indoors today and at f2 I was really at the slowest speed I was happy with. With f2.8 the only real option would have been to increase the ISO.

Why not increase the ISO, given the NEX-series great high-ISO performance?

In my opinion the DOF under f2.8 starts to get uselessly narrow for most situations, so I'm quite happy they chose to make a cheaper f2.8 instead of a much more expensive f2 that would still mostly be used at f2.8 or above.

laurihoefs's gear list:laurihoefs's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Alpha NEX-5N
AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,174Gear list
Like?
Re: a beautiful 135(!) gram enhancement for the Nex
In reply to bloomoose, Mar 24, 2012

I've got a 19 coming - the 16 is too wide most of the time for serious stuff as it wastes pixels in cropping, in fact I've left it on the old NEX5 as a pocket camera (put it this way, I've not touched my S90 since doing so) ...........

Not sure if I'll bother with the 30 - the 45mm FOV is neither one thing nor the other - a 24mm or 60mm would be more use to me

-- hide signature --

A Problem is only the pessimistic way of looking at a challenge

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Fujifilm X-S1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix P330 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
woof woof
Senior MemberPosts: 1,432
Like?
In reply to laurihoefs, Mar 24, 2012

laurihoefs wrote:

DMF?

In my opinion the DOF under f2.8 starts to get uselessly narrow for most situations, so I'm quite happy they chose to make a cheaper f2.8 instead of a much more expensive f2 that would still mostly be used at f2.8 or above.

What's DMF?

Yes, DoF can be shallow wider than f2.8 but with short lenses like this if shooting at anything other than close range f2.8 might not be enough, if going for a shallow DoF look as I often do.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads