Cameron, now it is enough!

Started Mar 23, 2012 | Discussions
RobertSigmund
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,163Gear list
Like?
Cameron, now it is enough!
Mar 23, 2012

I never liked him, but now he really goes too far. In order to prevent Brits from drinking, he wants to impose a minimum prize per alcohol unit of 40 pence. (At the moment, the cheapest stuff costs about 20 pence.)

Here, for once, I am with chiane's "personal responsibility": It is not up to Cameron to decide on the price of liquor.
What is he, a British Erdogan?

RobertSigmund's gear list:RobertSigmund's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1
Gavin 11
Senior MemberPosts: 2,270Gear list
Like?
Re: Cameron, now it is enough!
In reply to RobertSigmund, Mar 23, 2012

RobertSigmund wrote:

I never liked him, but now he really goes too far. In order to prevent Brits from drinking, he wants to impose a minimum prize per alcohol unit of 40 pence. (At the moment, the cheapest stuff costs about 20 pence.)

Here, for once, I am with chiane's "personal responsibility": It is not up to Cameron to decide on the price of liquor.

God god!, but we do have a problem in the UK regarding drink. I think its our Anglo Saxon Island attidude to it, not like the continental way of drinking.
--

"When I warned [the French] that Britain would fight on alone, whatever they did, their Generals told their Prime Minister and his divided cabinet: 'In three weeks, England will have her neck wrung like a chicken.

"Some chicken....Some neck!

Gavin 11's gear list:Gavin 11's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
illy
Forum ProPosts: 12,160Gear list
Like?
Just an excuse

RobertSigmund wrote:

to raise more tax, they don't care if people drink irresponsibly
--
working as intended

illy's gear list:illy's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Gavin 11
Senior MemberPosts: 2,270Gear list
Like?
Re: Just an excuse
In reply to illy, Mar 23, 2012

illy wrote:

RobertSigmund wrote:

--
working as intended

We are drinking more I think, maybe its because we are all p#ssed off !!
--

"When I warned [the French] that Britain would fight on alone, whatever they did, their Generals told their Prime Minister and his divided cabinet: 'In three weeks, England will have her neck wrung like a chicken.

Gavin 11's gear list:Gavin 11's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
SirLataxe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,241
Like?
In reply to illy, Mar 23, 2012

Those politicos - they do not have our trust, eh!?

What is the motive when the rascals put up the price of grog? Is it to reduce consumption? This seems unlikely, since they have spent decades making grog-swilling as easy as possible, not least because the brewers are businessmen and, as we know, all other considerations must be sacrificed to their profits. Especially if they are "donating" some profit-dosh to this political party and that.

So, like Mr Sigmund I suspect that the hand-wringers in Parliament look forward to more tax influx rather than less grog-swilling by the population at large, which will allow them to cut the rich folks' income tax down another 5% perhaps, thus satisfying their ideological itch.

What I want to know is, when will the grog-makers be sent the bill for the vast amounts spent by the NHS on treating the many maladies that are the result of all this grogging? Just this week we learn from the Chief Quack that deaths from liver disease are up 25% compared to not so long ago, a goodly portion of which increase is down to alcohol damage (as well as Hepatitus and a couple of other modern dangers to that slippery brown organ).

Also, it is a familiar syndrome to all politicians that increasing the price of addictive drugs such as grog & baccie, via swinging taxes, will drive ever-more the black market in such drugs, along with all the associated criminality. One aspect of this criminality is the degradation in the quality of the blackmarket product: the industrial alcohol in the wine that will blind you; the triple dose of carcinogenic additives and pollutants in the cancer-sticks that will take you to the death ward toot-sweet.

And if the politicians don't control the blackmarket, they loose oodles of tax income instead of gaining it. Or if they do attempt control of the blackmarket, they spend 10X the tax gained on police action, customs action, gaol hospitality and so on.

Are politicians really so stupid, so ignorant of real life? It's either that or they have another agenda that makes these matters quite irrelevant to them. Personally I feel they are so ideological and Rationalist-minded that they are constructing their own imagined reality, ever more divorced from the actual version. They seem blind to the many awful unintended consequences of their constant tinkering and pharting about with law, tax and the other social control levers.

SirLataxe, whose indulgent habits amd pleasures remain (so-far) taxed only at normal levels. (That 20% VAT).

carl english
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,436Gear list
Like?
In reply to SirLataxe, Mar 23, 2012

SirLataxe wrote:

Those politicos - they do not have our trust, eh!?

Are politicians really so stupid, so ignorant of real life? It's either that or they have another agenda that makes these matters quite irrelevant to them. Personally I feel they are so ideological and Rationalist-minded that they are constructing their own imagined reality, ever more divorced from the actual version. They seem blind to the many awful unintended consequences of their constant tinkering and pharting about with law, tax and the other social control levers.

Amen to that, educated but no common sense.

carl english's gear list:carl english's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150
illy
Like?
In reply to Gavin 11, Mar 23, 2012

Gavin 11 wrote:

illy wrote:

RobertSigmund wrote:

--
working as intended

We are drinking more I think, maybe its because we are all p#ssed off !!
--

they are doing with alcohol what they have been doing with cigarettes and petrol for years, make more tax because they know not many will stop, the smoking ban in pubs and stuff probably did more to stop people smoking than raising the price ever did
--
working as intended

Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Fresch
Contributing MemberPosts: 928Gear list
Like?

Yep, try throwing the booze in to the sea! It worked for us with tea! Brothers.

YoHahnMD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,954
Like?

RobertSigmund wrote:

You Brits don't need anymore booze . . .

You are already too uptight as it is!

illy
Like?
In reply to YoHahnMD, Mar 23, 2012

YoHahnMD wrote:

RobertSigmund wrote:

You Brits don't need anymore booze . . .

You are already too uptight as it is!

after reading the posts and threads started here i would say exactly the opposite is true
--
working as intended

Roger99
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,648
Like?
In reply to RobertSigmund, Mar 25, 2012

It's like the attempt to stop smoking by hiking the price of tobacco over here. Now we have a nasty burgeoning trade in an illegal substitute called "chop chop". Nasty foul tasting stuff that is probably far worse for the health than the "legitimate" product.

Start looking out for that mind blowing\rotting moonshine provided by some weird seedy guy, approaching on an all but deserted train platform near you.

For every door that closes a trapdoor opens.

RobertSigmund wrote:

-- hide signature --

The one serious conviction one should hold is that nothing should be taken too seriously.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without necessarily accepting it. -Aristotle
..oh, and I see by the lack of responses that I am right yet again.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads