M43 bag advice

Started Mar 22, 2012 | Discussions
NZ Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 3,504Gear list
Like?
M43 bag advice
Mar 22, 2012

Hi guys,

I know there are already a few threads here on bag recommendations, but I have one or two quite specific wants/requirements in a bag and would appreciate some advice.

1) I want a shoulder or sling bag, rather than a backpack.

2) I want it to hold an E-P3 with attached lens + at least two other lenses, 5 filters, spare battery and card, cable release, grey card, lens pen and a few other smallish bits and bobs.

3) I'd also like enough room for a water bottle (bloody hot here in Malaysia) and one or two other small items, such as a Kindle or compact umbrella.

4) I'd like some small pockets or compartments for the filters and accessories (don't want them floating around in my bag).

5) I want waterproofing (rain cover is okay).

6) I don't want it to look too much like a camera bag, and (as you can probably tell from the Kindle and waterbottle) I would like it to double as a day-bag.

7) I don't like nylon straps, because I find they cut into my shoulders and neck. I prefer leather or soft fabric straps.

Thoughts?

One bag I've found so far that meets the criteria is the Thinktank Retrospective 5. I would, however, appreciate any other recommendations.

NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Sony QX1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +12 more
Olympus PEN E-P3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jon Schick
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,385Gear list
Like?
Re: M43 bag advice
In reply to NZ Scott, Mar 22, 2012

I've got the Think Tank bag you mentioned and it is very nicely made and well thought out. I like it very much although I'm wondering if it is big enough for the needs you've outlined (you may start to struggle when you get to putting in a water bottle, umbrella, kindle, etc unless you have pretty minimal lens collection).

I'd suggest you look at one for yourself first before purchasing. Crumpler are always good for well-made and capacious camera bags that don't look like camera bags too.

Jon Schick's gear list:Jon Schick's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Olympus E-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mingoid
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?

I've got the Thinktank, it's a great bag that hold pretty much my entire M4/3 kit (GF1+20mm, VF, 45-200,9-18, 45mm, cokin P filter holder plus filters, remote/timelapse timer) and it has the rain cover - looks good and is really well made but don't think it's quite big enough for you. Maybe you could put a small water bottle where my 45-200 is and squeeze the kindle in the back but that's about it.

Blind Hawg
New MemberPosts: 7Gear list
Like?

If the Retrospective 5 may be a little small, take a look at the Retrospective 10. Essentially the same layout but a little bigger(and more $$, of course).
--
"Even a blind hog finds an acorn now & again"

Blind Hawg's gear list:Blind Hawg's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Nikon D60 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-P2 +4 more
Olymore
Senior MemberPosts: 1,170Gear list
Like?

Billingham Hadley range of bags.
I've a Hadley Pro myself

bskeet
Regular MemberPosts: 149
Like?

This is the best set-up I've been able to come up with:

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Packs/SlingPacks/PRD~5024-322/mec-flux-2-slingpack.jsp

Very durable. Two compartments and one small pocket. The straps with clips tuck away if you don't want to use them. Doesn't look like a camera bag. Inexpensive. The "sling action" makes it easy to get the camera out in a hurry.

I use this rain cover, size small.
http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Packs/RainCovers/PRD~0609-131/mec-rain-cover.jsp

The bag has some padding and I carried my camera around in it for a year without issue. But I added a cheap padded insert off ebay for extra protection:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Matin-DCP-20-Padded-Insert-Bag-Camera-Partition-for-DSLR-SLR-Black-Orange-/120852088518?pt=US_Camera_Cases_Bags&hash=item1c235886c6

Yohan Pamudji
Senior MemberPosts: 2,873
Like?

Domke F-5XC should meet all your criteria except for rain cover. Just carry a folded trash bag in the large back pocket of the bag maybe?

jazzbass62
Senior MemberPosts: 1,728Gear list
Like?
Domke F-802 or 803
In reply to Yohan Pamudji, Mar 22, 2012

The 802 is a tad bit larger than the 803. Buy an insert for the 802... you can waterproof the canvas if you need to with the wax, or it is water-resistant. The garbage suggestion is good. These bags run around $100 at BH Photo.

Another one to look at is the Tenba Pro-Digital 2.0 Large Messenger.
--
---
Cleve

jazzbass62's gear list:jazzbass62's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
bskeet
Regular MemberPosts: 149
Like?
In reply to bskeet, Mar 22, 2012

There's no place to carry a water bottle. I clip one on the outside straps.

Lots of room for a Kindle. I can carry a Motorola Xoom tablet in its own padded case inside this bag no prob.

bskeet wrote:

This is the best set-up I've been able to come up with:

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Packs/SlingPacks/PRD~5024-322/mec-flux-2-slingpack.jsp

Very durable. Two compartments and one small pocket. The straps with clips tuck away if you don't want to use them. Doesn't look like a camera bag. Inexpensive. The "sling action" makes it easy to get the camera out in a hurry.

I use this rain cover, size small.
http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Packs/RainCovers/PRD~0609-131/mec-rain-cover.jsp

The bag has some padding and I carried my camera around in it for a year without issue. But I added a cheap padded insert off ebay for extra protection:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Matin-DCP-20-Padded-Insert-Bag-Camera-Partition-for-DSLR-SLR-Black-Orange-/120852088518?pt=US_Camera_Cases_Bags&hash=item1c235886c6

-- hide signature --

bskeet

Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,390
Like?

I love Billingham bags. They do not shout "camera" at all. Might look a bit odd in Malaysia though.

http://www.billingham.co.uk/acatalog/Hadleys.html
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,390
Like?
In reply to Olymore, Mar 22, 2012

Good man! I'd say a Hadley Small should do this one...

Olymore wrote:

I've a Hadley Pro myself

tyhsu
Regular MemberPosts: 188
Like?

My preference is for messenger bags, like Courier Ware and Baileyworks.

They meet your requirements of incognito, waterproof, pockets galore, and comfortable shoulder straps (even if they are nylon; comfort is more about the width and thickness of the shoulder strap, rather than about the material).

Just one note though. Even if you have the room, you will almost never put a water bottle inside your bag. You'll be too paranoid about about having the water right next to your expensive electronics/glass. What you really want is an external pocket for a water bottle (which I have yet to find).

NZ Scott
Like?
In reply to tyhsu, Mar 22, 2012

tyhsu wrote:

My preference is for messenger bags, like Courier Ware and Baileyworks.

They meet your requirements of incognito, waterproof, pockets galore, and comfortable shoulder straps (even if they are nylon; comfort is more about the width and thickness of the shoulder strap, rather than about the material).

Just one note though. Even if you have the room, you will almost never put a water bottle inside your bag. You'll be too paranoid about about having the water right next to your expensive electronics/glass. What you really want is an external pocket for a water bottle (which I have yet to find).

Yeah, this is a bit of an issue. I would at least like to put the bottle into a separate compartment to protect the camera and lenses from condensation.

Sony QX1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +12 more
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 17,914Gear list
Like?
The Tedolph Bag(tm) of course!

NZ Scott wrote:

Hi guys,

I know there are already a few threads here on bag recommendations, but I have one or two quite specific wants/requirements in a bag and would appreciate some advice.

1) I want a shoulder or sling bag, rather than a backpack.

2) I want it to hold an E-P3 with attached lens + at least two other lenses, 5 filters, spare battery and card, cable release, grey card, lens pen and a few other smallish bits and bobs.

3) I'd also like enough room for a water bottle (bloody hot here in Malaysia) and one or two other small items, such as a Kindle or compact umbrella.

4) I'd like some small pockets or compartments for the filters and accessories (don't want them floating around in my bag).

5) I want waterproofing (rain cover is okay).

6) I don't want it to look too much like a camera bag, and (as you can probably tell from the Kindle and waterbottle) I would like it to double as a day-bag.

7) I don't like nylon straps, because I find they cut into my shoulders and neck. I prefer leather or soft fabric straps.

Thoughts?

It holds E-pl1 and 17mm lens mounted, 9-18mm zoom, 40-150mm zoom, EVF, shoulder strap and Sunpac external auto slave flash:

And it is much smaller than any other bag that holds the same stuff.

Converts from an over the shoulder bag to a waste mounted bag as you like!

Can also transmute lead into gold.

One bag I've found so far that meets the criteria is the Thinktank Retrospective 5. I would, however, appreciate any other recommendations.

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +9 more
illy
Forum ProPosts: 12,160Gear list
Like?
Re: The Tedolph Bag(tm) of course!
In reply to tedolf, Mar 22, 2012

my Thai man bag is better than the T-bag
--
working as intended

illy's gear list:illy's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
NZ Scott
Like?
In reply to Jon Schick, Mar 23, 2012

Jon Schick wrote:

I've got the Think Tank bag you mentioned and it is very nicely made and well thought out. I like it very much although I'm wondering if it is big enough for the needs you've outlined (you may start to struggle when you get to putting in a water bottle, umbrella, kindle, etc unless you have pretty minimal lens collection).

I'd suggest you look at one for yourself first before purchasing. Crumpler are always good for well-made and capacious camera bags that don't look like camera bags too.

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the Crumpler suggestion.

Yes, I'd love to check out some of these bags in person. Unfortunately, it aint so easy to do so in Malaysia.

NZ Scott
Like?
In reply to mingoid, Mar 23, 2012

mingoid wrote:

I've got the Thinktank, it's a great bag that hold pretty much my entire M4/3 kit (GF1+20mm, VF, 45-200,9-18, 45mm, cokin P filter holder plus filters, remote/timelapse timer) and it has the rain cover - looks good and is really well made but don't think it's quite big enough for you. Maybe you could put a small water bottle where my 45-200 is and squeeze the kindle in the back but that's about it.

Hi mingoid,

Thanks for the insight. That might actually just be enough, though. I don't usually carry much more than the water.

S

NZ Scott
Like?
In reply to Olymore, Mar 23, 2012

Olymore wrote:

I've a Hadley Pro myself

Yes, they look quite posh (in a good way). Might be out of my price range, unfortunately.

NZ Scott
Like?
In reply to bskeet, Mar 23, 2012

Looks good, simple and cheap, which are fine attributes.

I might fork out for something a little more classy - maybe in the $50 to $150 range.

NZ Scott
Like?
Re: Domke F-802 or 803
In reply to jazzbass62, Mar 23, 2012

The Domkes look nice. Thanks for the suggestions.

jazzbass62 wrote:

The 802 is a tad bit larger than the 803. Buy an insert for the 802... you can waterproof the canvas if you need to with the wax, or it is water-resistant. The garbage suggestion is good. These bags run around $100 at BH Photo.

Another one to look at is the Tenba Pro-Digital 2.0 Large Messenger.
--
---
Cleve

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads