In Praise of B&H

Started Mar 22, 2012 | Discussions
Virginia Bill
Contributing MemberPosts: 747Gear list
Like?
In Praise of B&H
Mar 22, 2012

In view of another poster's recent rant about B&H, here's the story of my most recent purchase. Last week I ordered a camera and lens. On the day I received it, B&H lowered the price by $230. So today I called and asked if the store had a policy to deal with such situations. "Of course," the young man replied. Then he filled out the screen which credited me with the $230 difference between the old price and the new one. No stalling, whining, or moaning. No delaying tactics. Just customer service the way it ought to be. Thanks, B&H. I used the reimbursement to buy a new lens.

Virginia Bill's gear list:Virginia Bill's gear list
Leica Digilux 2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Leica M8 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +8 more
Art Guertin
Regular MemberPosts: 160Gear list
Like?
Refreshing!
In reply to Virginia Bill, Mar 22, 2012

It is always great to hear the rest of the story.
I have dealt with B&H for several years and have always had excellent service.
--

'There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care who gets the credit.'
-Philip Hyde (1922-2006)

Art Guertin's gear list:Art Guertin's gear list
Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II Canon Pixma Pro9500
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
poorsh
Regular MemberPosts: 236
Like?
Re: In Praise of B&H
-- hide signature --

Just placed my first order for a 580EXll with B&H and it was a good experience. The problem was Purolator the courier, a subsidiary of the Canadian Post Office. It took a week to get it from the East to the West. Next time I will pay for an expedited delivery. Once you order someting you want it yesterday.
poorsh

henryp
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,600Gear list
Like?

Virginia Bill wrote:

Just customer service the way it ought to be. Thanks, B&H. I used the reimbursement to buy a new lens.

Thank you. We really appreciate your kind words and the time you took to post.

-- hide signature --

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

henryp's gear list:henryp's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
hotdog321
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,432
Like?

B&H is a class act. Or so it has been in my experience.

digitalshooter
Forum ProPosts: 14,095Gear list
Like?
dang I dont think the family is going to like our vacation this year! (nt)
-- hide signature --

Thanks,

Digitalshooter

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
hotdog321
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,432
Like?
Sure they will!
In reply to digitalshooter, Mar 22, 2012

Snort! Sure they will. Just put 'em on a subway and let 'em trundle around the city as you shop!

Patco
Forum ProPosts: 11,398
Like?
Why?
In reply to poorsh, Mar 23, 2012

poorsh wrote:

-- hide signature --

Just placed my first order for a 580EXll with B&H and it was a good experience. The problem was Purolator the courier, a subsidiary of the Canadian Post Office. It took a week to get it from the East to the West. Next time I will pay for an expedited delivery. Once you order someting you want it yesterday.
poorsh

Your profile shows you are in Canada.

I'm just curious as to why would you order from the USA, and possibly have to deal with warranty problems, when the product is the same price or less in Canada?

http://www.thecamerastore.com/products/camera-flash/-camera-flash-heads/canon-speedlite-580ex-ii
http://www.photoprice.ca/product/00064/Canon-Speedlite-580EX-II-price.html

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels

Karl H. Timmerman M.A.J.D.
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,051
Like?
SONY should hire B&H's public relations staff!!
In reply to Virginia Bill, Mar 23, 2012

... perhaps, they could mend some fences ... and learn some basics in customer service and satisfaction? Nah. Won't happen. They don't/won't feel a need to.
KarlT
--
Karl H.Timmerman M.A.J.D.
BLOG: http://www.karltimmerman.com/Ramblings/
'The best part of taking the moral highground ...... is the view'.

snake_b
Senior MemberPosts: 4,680
Like?
In reply to hotdog321, Mar 23, 2012

Not with their employee practices, nor with their community voting practices in the township they come from.

hotdog321 wrote:

chopsteeks
Senior MemberPosts: 1,212
Like?

B&H has always given me 5 star service.

This dates back in the 1990's.

Not one bad shopping experience.

Highly recommended !!

lbuclk=
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,508Gear list
Like?
Agreed. n/t
In reply to chopsteeks, Mar 23, 2012

chopsteeks wrote:

B&H has always given me 5 star service.

This dates back in the 1990's.

Not one bad shopping experience.

Highly recommended !!

-- hide signature --

28 years as a freelancer,(news,magazine, wedding photography) camera equip. over the years: Practica MLT, Canon A1, Minolta 9xi, 7xi, Dimage Z1,Fuji 5200,Canon S2,Pentax K100D,Olympus 380,Canon SX 10, Canon 40D ( http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v104/Buckl/ )
http://issuu.com/Lbuck

lbuclk='s gear list:lbuclk='s gear list
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
poorsh
Regular MemberPosts: 236
Like?
Re: Why?
In reply to Patco, Mar 23, 2012

The price quoted here in Canada was $599. Paid $444 USD plus S&H. Our dollar is at par or just above the USD.
Cheers

-- hide signature --

poorsh

creeker
Senior MemberPosts: 1,449
Like?

There aren't too many businesses that I praise, but B&H is one that I do. I've traded with them for years. I've bought and sold thousands of dollars of equipment from them and always felt that I got a fair deal. Their return policy is excellent, with no hassle. Living in Connecticut, it's a short train ride to NY to B&H. Shopping there is a pleasure, two floors of all kinds of gear. The sales people never rush you when buying a costly item, and are very helpful. I never felt pressured as to what to buy. If I order online, early enough, I receive my order the second day.

Sometimes my wife and I go to B&H in the morning, then see a Broadway show, and have dinner. It works out good for me, and I've "appeased the Wife Gods".
regards
Ed

Patco
Like?
Re: Why?
In reply to poorsh, Mar 24, 2012

poorsh wrote:

The price quoted here in Canada was $599. Paid $444 USD plus S&H. Our dollar is at par or just above the USD.

Did you not see the links in my post? No store listed at photoprice.ca is that high.

I don't know where you shop at outrageous prices like that, but the item can be bought for $449.99 in Canada, at places such as "Memory Express" or "The Camera Store".

-- hide signature --

Patco

DogOfThunder
Contributing MemberPosts: 553
Like?
In reply to snake_b, Mar 24, 2012

That's a pretty empty accusation.

snake_b wrote:

Not with their employee practices, nor with their community voting practices in the township they come from.

hotdog321 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Tim

Patco
Like?
In reply to DogOfThunder, Mar 24, 2012

Yes, it is empty. He should have included a link:

https://www.google.ca/#hl=en&sugexp=frgbld&gs_nf=1&pq=b%26h%20discrimination&cp=23&gs_id=4i&xhr=t&q=b%26h+discrimination+suit&pf=p&safe=off&sclient=psy-ab&oq=b%26h+discrimination+suit&aq=&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=bb172f9f74669927&biw=1170&bih=554

DogOfThunder wrote:

snake_b wrote:

hotdog321 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Tim

-- hide signature --

Patco

creeker
Senior MemberPosts: 1,449
Like?
In reply to Patco, Mar 24, 2012

Patco wrote:

https://www.google.ca/#hl=en&sugexp=frgbld&gs_nf=1&pq=b%26h%20discrimination&cp=23&gs_id=4i&xhr=t&q=b%26h+discrimination+suit&pf=p&safe=off&sclient=psy-ab&oq=b%26h+discrimination+suit&aq=&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=bb172f9f74669927&biw=1170&bih=554

DogOfThunder wrote:

snake_b wrote:

hotdog321 wrote:

The alleged, employee, employer problems at B&H are no different than other large business. I judge a company I want to do business with by how they treat me. What I find to be a big joke on this forum, is how they nit-pik the heck out of small problems with a company, and overlook the blatant acts of dishonesty or at least immoral practices of some of the posters here. Just look in the Sony Nex talk forum and see the buying frenzy with the new Nex-7. A few on that forum see nothing wrong with ordering a product from 3 companies at once, and when one comes in canceling the others. They care not that it may cause a hardship for the companies with the canceled orders. They never figure that a company may have to turn down another customer trying to fill their phony order. I can't count the times I've heard one of these self proclaimed "want to" be photography experts say how they bought 3 or 4 copies of a lens, and kept "the good one". What a crock of bull. I've been buying lens for years, and never got a "bad" one. They don't buy pro glass but they want it to perform like pro glass. They care not what their games cost the dealer, or the fact that the lens gets repackaged and sent to you and I, as new. I once worked with a person that bought a camera and an expensive lens to shoot a wedding, after the wedding he let the bride and groom take the camera on their honeymoon for a week. When they got back, he returned the camera saying, "I don't like it, it doesn't meet my needs". They took it back. Yes, it's within that companies policies, but is it the fair, and moral thing to do. It's a two way street, I treat a business, as they treat me. B&H has always acted in a fair, honest, and moral way to me. I'll return that, until I'm treated differently. I don't expect I will be.

-- hide signature --

Tim

-- hide signature --

Patco

matthias jurisch
Contributing MemberPosts: 796Gear list
Like?
got to love the reputation...
In reply to Virginia Bill, Mar 24, 2012

no money, no credit, no problem at BH...purchased my equipment on the delay program for prefered customers...pay when you can with no interest rate...

go to the back of the shipping department and please ask Shlomo to put more red candy on the trays.
greetings
Matthias
http://www.foto-jurisch.de

Father Anderson
Contributing MemberPosts: 628Gear list
Like?
In reply to Patco, Mar 24, 2012

Americans have a strange notion of equality - especially considering the language of their Declaration of Independence , "...that all men are created equal...".

It is generally understood that what Jefferson, Adams, Franklin, et al, who were tasked by the Second Continental Congress in 1776 to write that amazing document, meant was that while created equal not everyone would grow, learn and mature equally - for reasons known only to god, nature and nurture. Every horse toes the starting line - but they will finish in a rank order from 1...n - one winner and the rest "also ran".

Most all corporations seek employees with specific skill sets, including the ability to continually grow and learn - but most importantly they seek a good fit...a member of the family.

The unique American notion of equality attempts to force employers to treat the least capable person equally with the smartest, fastest most dedicated family member. The foolishness of this notion eventually reveals itself, to the Customer as "poor, indifferent, even condescending service". Actually these employees are "dominators" using voice and vocabulary to dominate the conversation and the Customer. They will even go so far as to make up rules and corporate policy once they decide the Customer needs some "punishment". They are definitely not   a good fit and family member .

B&H tries to create a family of team members committed to superior Customer service   but not every employee can perform at that level even tho they claimed and promised that performance during the job interview.

Sooooo...which do you want... knowledgable, superior Customer Service?....or....full equality and get the style of customer service you find at the "license bureau" or Walmart?

Last year I got the exact same superior Customer service on two different phone-orders - one for $5000 and the other for $2.34 - courteous, fully explained to my satisfaction with no rush, no fuss, no muss - I know which I prefer. Of course I respect your right to be treated differently if you so choose.

Patco wrote:

DogOfThunder wrote:

snake_b wrote:

hotdog321 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Tim

-- hide signature --

Patco

Father Anderson's gear list:Father Anderson's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads