K-z spec prediction

Started Mar 22, 2012 | Discussions
Katsura
Contributing MemberPosts: 581
Like?
K-z spec prediction
Mar 22, 2012
  • Same chassis/ body as K-r

  • Same sensor as the K-5

  • Prime M

  • SDXC

  • 100% coverage OVF

  • Max ISO 25,600

  • Focus peak

Really just a sensor/ processor overhaul

Pentax K-5 Pentax K-r
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mike703
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,813
Like?
I'd like a quieter shutter...
In reply to Katsura, Mar 22, 2012

This is something that gets overlooked in the discussion about technical specifications but I find important. One feature of my K7 that I particularly appreciate is the very quiet shutter. I do a lot of shooting of musicians rehearsing and in concerts and being unobtrusive is important. I'd like better low light performance than my K7 (I limit myself to ISO1600 at the moment) which the Kr already offers - but in comparison firing the shutter makes a noise like someone dropping a tray of cutlery. At the moment my next body upgrade, probably later this year, will be a K5 when it is at the very end of its product cycle. But if the Kz (?) had the K5 sensor, or something similar - and a quiet shutter - I'd go for that instead as it will probably be cheaper. Probably too much to hope for as the necessary damping is a feature of the larger better-specified body design. The mirrorless K-01 is quiet of course but that doesn't really appeal: I like a good grip.

Best wishes
--
Mike
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/mikeward

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mrdc76
Regular MemberPosts: 379
Like?
Re: K-z spec prediction
In reply to Katsura, Mar 22, 2012

Katsura wrote:

  • Same chassis/ body as K-r

  • Same sensor as the K-5

  • Prime M

  • SDXC

  • 100% coverage OVF

  • Max ISO 25,600

  • Focus peak

Really just a sensor/ processor overhaul

100 % coverage OVF is not just a sensor / processor overhaul. It would be a rather major feature boost.

-- hide signature --

Mikko

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,002Gear list
Like?
Re: K-z spec prediction
In reply to mrdc76, Mar 22, 2012

mrdc76 wrote:

Katsura wrote:

  • Same chassis/ body as K-r

  • Same sensor as the K-5

  • Prime M

  • SDXC

  • 100% coverage OVF

  • Max ISO 25,600

  • Focus peak

Really just a sensor/ processor overhaul

100 % coverage OVF is not just a sensor / processor overhaul. It would be a rather major feature boost.

100% coverage is what was forecast by the GM of Pentax UK. I assume it will be a pentamirror on the K-z though.

I expect the K-z to be a slightly smaller body than the K-r, it looks like it has a slightly different profile that K-r in the blurred photo we'ver seen. (Smaller bodies were forecasted by the UK GM).

I expect it to have K-01 level video, 16mp sensor, new processing engine. I doubt it will have a quiet shutter. Hopefully it has a TAv mode.

We shall soon see.
--
Dan

 audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ayoh
Regular MemberPosts: 153Gear list
Like?
Re: I'd like a quieter shutter...
In reply to mike703, Mar 22, 2012

And a quieter in-body focus motor. This would not be that difficult as it is possible to now buy almost silent, brushed DC motors comparable in torque output to the current in body brushed DC motors Pentax uses (I was involved in a project recently where I had the opportunity to test the silent DC motors so have witnessed their advantage first hand). I feel Pentax have not bothered to implement them as it seems customers are not vocal enough about quieter in-body AF operation. It may also be deliberately in order to promote premium SDM lenses. Regardless even if they keep the current, noisy high-backlash backdriveable gear train of the in-body AF, the noise would be greatly reduced.

mike703 wrote:

This is something that gets overlooked in the discussion about technical specifications but I find important. One feature of my K7 that I particularly appreciate is the very quiet shutter. I do a lot of shooting of musicians rehearsing and in concerts and being unobtrusive is important. I'd like better low light performance than my K7 (I limit myself to ISO1600 at the moment) which the Kr already offers - but in comparison firing the shutter makes a noise like someone dropping a tray of cutlery. At the moment my next body upgrade, probably later this year, will be a K5 when it is at the very end of its product cycle. But if the Kz (?) had the K5 sensor, or something similar - and a quiet shutter - I'd go for that instead as it will probably be cheaper. Probably too much to hope for as the necessary damping is a feature of the larger better-specified body design. The mirrorless K-01 is quiet of course but that doesn't really appeal: I like a good grip.

Best wishes
--
Mike
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/mikeward

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Barry Fitzgerald
Forum ProPosts: 29,888
Like?
Re: K-z spec prediction
In reply to Katsura, Mar 22, 2012

100% VF would be interesting but with a Penta mirror it's limited in how far you can go with that.

It should be interesting to see where Pentax go with this. I'd like to see something a bit more than a warmed over K-r with a 16mp CMOS sensor. Maybe dual control dials, a pentaprism and a plastic but decent build body. Think D90 style and you'd be close..

I would argue against a smaller body the K-r was small enough, K-x was too small IMO handling wise.

Of course I expect the K-r's AF issues to have been resolved too

I think a 3 model line up makes more sense for Pentax an entry one, mid level (as above) and a K-5 update

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
chiane
Senior MemberPosts: 4,020
Like?
Re: I'd like a quieter shutter...
In reply to Ayoh, Mar 22, 2012

Ayoh wrote:

And a quieter in-body focus motor. This would not be that difficult as it is possible to now buy almost silent, brushed DC motors comparable in torque output to the current in body brushed DC motors Pentax uses (I was involved in a project recently where I had the opportunity to test the silent DC motors so have witnessed their advantage first hand). I feel Pentax have not bothered to implement them as it seems customers are not vocal enough about quieter in-body AF operation. It may also be deliberately in order to promote premium SDM lenses. Regardless even if they keep the current, noisy high-backlash backdriveable gear train of the in-body AF, the noise would be greatly reduced.

mike703 wrote:

This is something that gets overlooked in the discussion about technical specifications but I find important. One feature of my K7 that I particularly appreciate is the very quiet shutter. I do a lot of shooting of musicians rehearsing and in concerts and being unobtrusive is important. I'd like better low light performance than my K7 (I limit myself to ISO1600 at the moment) which the Kr already offers - but in comparison firing the shutter makes a noise like someone dropping a tray of cutlery. At the moment my next body upgrade, probably later this year, will be a K5 when it is at the very end of its product cycle. But if the Kz (?) had the K5 sensor, or something similar - and a quiet shutter - I'd go for that instead as it will probably be cheaper. Probably too much to hope for as the necessary damping is a feature of the larger better-specified body design. The mirrorless K-01 is quiet of course but that doesn't really appeal: I like a good grip.

Best wishes
--
Mike
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/mikeward

I agree. What good does a quiet shutter do when it sounded like a chainsaw during focusing?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
fakuryu
Contributing MemberPosts: 918Gear list
Like?
Re: K-z spec prediction
In reply to Katsura, Mar 22, 2012

-same size as the K-r
-same sensor as the K01
-100% OVF pentamirror?

-articulating screen if not, could be a OLED/LED screen? I prefer a non-articulating screen since more thing that moves, more likely it would break.
-same dials but it would be nice if there was a custom 1 custom 2 setting
-same ISO as the K-r

Well that's my take, hopefully they keep the loud shutter since I love the way it sounds, feels like a proper SLR like the ole film days

-- hide signature --

Its not about the tool, its how you use it

 fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-r Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pentax_Prime
Senior MemberPosts: 2,457Gear list
Like?
No Pentaprism
In reply to mrdc76, Mar 22, 2012

It won't be a pentaprism, it'll be a 100% pentamirror ... significantly less thrilling.

mrdc76 wrote:

Katsura wrote:

  • Same chassis/ body as K-r

  • Same sensor as the K-5

  • Prime M

  • SDXC

  • 100% coverage OVF

  • Max ISO 25,600

  • Focus peak

Really just a sensor/ processor overhaul

100 % coverage OVF is not just a sensor / processor overhaul. It would be a rather major feature boost.

-- hide signature --

Mikko

-- hide signature --

My Website
http://www.andrewallenphoto.com

My Pentax Street Gallery - Arranged By Lens Used
http://photobucket.com/andy_allen

 Pentax_Prime's gear list:Pentax_Prime's gear list
Pentax K-5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
atetuna
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Keep AA batteries
In reply to Pentax_Prime, Mar 25, 2012

I hope they stick with the modular battery bay, that is lithium or AA batteries. I was hoping to get a nice superzoom, but Fujifilm has abandoned AA batteries in their top cameras, so it's time to make the switch. I'd be perfectly happy with with the K-r if not for the focusing problems, so hopefully that's on the list of improvements for its successor.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads