Why I like the Fujifilm X10 (from a Canon 5D MKII shooter)

Started Mar 21, 2012 | Discussions
Zarniwoop1985
Regular MemberPosts: 171Gear list
Like?
Why I like the Fujifilm X10 (from a Canon 5D MKII shooter)
Mar 21, 2012

Here's my blog for comparison shots with both cameras: http://www.duluxdreams.wordpress.com

This is a non-technical viewpoint. Focusing on the practical photography aspects.

I've been travelling for 5 months now around South America. I have brought a Canon 5D MKII along with me. But recently, whilst in Peru - I purchased the Fujifilm X10.

I have been shooting with it extensively on the streets of Peru and Machu Picchu etc. What do I think?

I think it's a lovely and fun camera to shoot with. And I mean fun! The Canon 5D MKII is not as 'fun' to shoot with because it is big and heavy and intrusive. The X10 is perfect for walking around the streets with. I usually have it wrapped around my wrist with a strap. My shooting style has had to adapt to its quirks. I know that focus speed won't be as quick as the Canon, so I need to be much quicker in looking out for scenes, to give me that vital extra time to compose and shoot. I usually compose with the viewfinder.

I like the fact that the zoom can be changed quickly via the lens and is not motorised. Much much quicker! I like to have exposure and ISO and aperture control at my fingertips. The EXR and Adv modes are really cool. I don't have time for advanced Photoshop panorama treatment, nor do I carry around a tripod, so being able to take Panoramas with it is a joy.

A camera is merely a tool (I know cliche, cliche!) - but one can adapt and work around a particular camera. I've had to change my photographic approach to get on with its quirks and this has meant that:

a) my photography has changed
b) and it's been fun

Beautiful little camera. A pleasure to use. Perfect size for street photography. Produces files you can do much with in Photoshop. I love it.

Zarniwoop1985's gear list:Zarniwoop1985's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Sony RX100 +18 more
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Faintandfuzzy
Senior MemberPosts: 3,328Gear list
Like?
Re: Why I like the Fujifilm X10 (from a Canon 5D MKII shooter)
In reply to Zarniwoop1985, Mar 21, 2012

What a superb series of photographs. I too am enjoying the X10. What I find interesting is that if you posted those in the Canon forum preaching the virtues of a full frame camera...you'd probably get a bunch of people going on and on over how the images could not have been taken with a "lesser" camera

Well done and thanks for sharing these.

Faintandfuzzy's gear list:Faintandfuzzy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Nikon Coolpix 950 Olympus E-10 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Zarniwoop1985
Like?
In reply to Faintandfuzzy, Mar 21, 2012

The files I get from the X10 are great. Here are a some pics of Cuzco after some photo shopping:

They're great. The thing is after years of walking around with a Canon 5D MKII - I feel kinda light and free with this thing!

Canon PowerShot G10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Sony RX100 +18 more
Faintandfuzzy
Like?

That's what I found. I just came back after 2 weeks in San Francisco and San Diego on a family trip. It was a relief not carrying around my 7D or D700 for the trip. I used the P mode and EXR modes about 50/50 and shot in jpg and didn't worry about it. I got perfect color and results good enough to make great 11x14 prints with no real post processing required.

Canon PowerShot G3 Nikon Coolpix 950 Olympus E-10 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 +10 more
sinbad
Regular MemberPosts: 266
Like?

Wonderful series. Enjoyed greatly.

Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,031
Like?

Faintandfuzzy wrote:

What I find interesting is that if you posted those in the Canon forum preaching the virtues of a full frame camera...you'd probably get a bunch of people going on and on over how the images could not have been taken with a "lesser" camera

Well, if your own surmise is interesting to you...

Seriously, especially if viewed large or at 100%, nobody is going to mistake an X10 photo for a full frame shot.

Faintandfuzzy
Like?
In reply to Midwest, Mar 21, 2012

Midwest wrote:

Faintandfuzzy wrote:

What I find interesting is that if you posted those in the Canon forum preaching the virtues of a full frame camera...you'd probably get a bunch of people going on and on over how the images could not have been taken with a "lesser" camera

Seriously, especially if viewed large or at 100%, nobody is going to mistake an X10 photo for a full frame shot.

A print is not a 100% pixel peeping measurbation. To simulate a print view, one would be around the 40% level....and with that, I find there is little difference in an 8x10 or 11x14 print. In fact, I produced a couple of comparison prints at 11x14 between my D700 and X10....and there really was very little difference between them. If you examine them from 9" away, depending upon the subject matter, you may or may not see a difference. That's between a $599 tiny camera and a $2300 FF with a $500 prime lens.

I saw a few people lugging around the Canon 5D2 along with a 70-200 and 24-105 lens and pack while with the kids at Seaworld. Considering most family snapshots will be no bigger than 8x10, you won't see any difference in 99% of the images taken. And that's the point....no one is suggesting this camera replace my 4x5 rig for landscape photos.

alfa
Regular MemberPosts: 201
Like?

I have always been lily-livered when it comes to street shooting with DSLR kit so I too love the way you can be discrete with the X10 and I walk around with it on a wristrap, cradled in my palm, sometimes shooting from the hip, sometimes using the finder. I'm much braver snapping away with the X10. It helps that there is no printing on the front of a black camera. I was getting silver OM-D but it'll be black now.

VictorZ
Contributing MemberPosts: 521
Like?
In reply to alfa, Mar 21, 2012

Alfa,

I'm with you. I've taken some good "street" and people shots with a dSLR in the past, but I'm not at all comfortable doing so. I've always leaned more towards scenics as a result want to expand my horizons. The X10 seems like it'll be just the ticket for me. I find I'm having a lot more fun with photography again with the X10. I'm excited to start exploring new photographic avenues this summer with it.

Nice captures BTW. I can almost smell'em!

-- hide signature --

Victor Z

Zarniwoop1985
Like?
In reply to VictorZ, Mar 21, 2012

I was out with the X10 this morning in Cuzcos busy and bustling market square. The place was hectic in the morning with the stink of fresh fish, traffic, shoppers and general chaos. Fantastic! The camera securely fastened to my wrist. Not as noticeable than if it had been around my neck. I found myself using it in two ways:

1) Either holding it at stomach height and shooting away - adjusting the zoom accordingly. If the subject was moving towards me, this is what I generally did.

2) Using the viewfinder. i.e. raising it quickly to my eyes and firing away

The key is to keep moving. I tend to shoot quickly and move on. Not hang about as people start noticing you and you lose those natural shots. I find that the X10 can keep up with me. Many good shots. The viewfinder only shows 85% - but, with pratice, you learn to compose accordingly.

As you rightly pointed out - it has brought the fun back into street photography.

jjlad
Senior MemberPosts: 1,879Gear list
Like?
In reply to VictorZ, Mar 21, 2012

Terrific photos and I love their titles! Well done!

My dslr rig is a D7000 with assorted lenses. I don't have a 'compact' other than a Cannon something or other that I never use, because its IQ isn't great and the batteries last about an hour.

I find myself reaching for my s100fs a lot ...not because of the size but because of the versatility of having an all in one lens and also ..for candids ...the flip LCD which allows waist level shooting for less intrusion on the subjects when wanted.

Still ...not as compact as the X10 for sure but from an IQ standpoint it too, shows you don't need the full frame DSLR for acceptable prints. I stitch in LR/CS5 so the panorama thing is available but does take some work.

Great to see you pulling these beautiful, thought provoking images from what you have ..and I'm sure if it was something else ..the images would be equally impressive. It's what you see and compose and the impact you capture that is important ...we don't need to be cutting boards with the biggest and finest in power saws! When I shoot archetecture I'm always amazed at what the tradesmen of long ago accomplished with their simple manual tools.
Keep shooting and posting ...really enjoyable and insightful!
jj
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jjlad/sets/

jjlad's gear list:jjlad's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Nikon D7100
GaryJP
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,057Gear list
Like?
In reply to Midwest, Mar 22, 2012

Midwest wrote:

Faintandfuzzy wrote:

You have to love how people grunge down X10 shots, deliberately degrading IQ, call it a style choice, and then say the X10 is just as good as a full frame for taking grungy shots.

Well, so is my iPhone.

There's nothing wrong with that as a style, and for many "good enough is good enough", but we are on the wilder shores of self delusion here.

-- hide signature --

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.” Ernst Haas

http://garyp.zenfolio.com/p518883873/

GaryJP's gear list:GaryJP's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 II G1 X II Canon EOS-1D Mark III +7 more
Jade Willow
Regular MemberPosts: 482
Like?
In reply to jjlad, Mar 22, 2012

I'm also a keen street-shooter and agree with all of the comments here as to the ease of use with the X-10. However, with the next model, I'd love it if they would incorporate a flip-out screen to allow the camera to be used at waist level.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fukeliu/

Zarniwoop1985
Like?
In reply to jjlad, Mar 22, 2012

Thanks Jjlad. Glad you like them!

Stephen 06
Senior MemberPosts: 1,569
Like?
In reply to Faintandfuzzy, Mar 22, 2012

Faintandfuzzy wrote:

In fact, I produced a couple of comparison prints at 11x14 between my D700 and X10....and there really was very little difference between them. If you examine them from 9" away, depending upon the subject matter, you may or may not see a difference. That's between a $599 tiny camera and a $2300 FF with a $500 prime lens.

So why did you spend $2,300 on a FF camera so?? Don't that make you look like a right wally now?

I saw a few people lugging around the Canon 5D2 along with a 70-200 and 24-105 lens and pack while with the kids at Seaworld. Considering most family snapshots will be no bigger than 8x10, you won't see any difference in 99% of the images taken.

Maybe those guys would see more than a 99% difference if they missed action shots of Dolphins/Whales doing their fast action routine through the air??....or shooting fast moving tropical fish in the very dark surroundings and were no flash is allowed, so forcing extreme high ISOs of ISO3200 plus?....or maybe getting extreme isolation of animals from their backgrounds?

-- hide signature --

Stephen

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads