Nikon S9300

Started Mar 19, 2012 | Discussions
Lowells
Regular MemberPosts: 241Gear list
Like?
Nikon S9300
Mar 19, 2012

I had been thinking of purchasing the Nikon s9300 and I wanted to know how good this camera will be.
thanks
Lowell

Nikon Coolpix S9300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
bocajrs
Contributing MemberPosts: 950Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon S9300
In reply to Lowells, Mar 20, 2012

I previously owned a Nikon S9100 and wasnt impressed. Experienced many of the issues reported throughout various forums ( ie, blurry pics, auto focusing, etc) and returned after 3 months.

I went to local target to test the S9300 and guess what, lens error upon turning on. I cannot speak for the quality of the S9300, but from what i've read it seems a step up from the S9100. In the end, i ended up going wtih Panny Zs-15 (great reviews) and doubt i'll every buy a Nikon P&S again.

(BTW, I do own a Nikon D5100 and it has been trouble free).

bocajrs's gear list:bocajrs's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lowells
Regular MemberPosts: 241Gear list
Like?
In reply to bocajrs, Mar 21, 2012

It looks like from what you have said, I probably will stay with what I have.
The D5100 is an excellent camera that I would consider to lighten my load.

dale thorn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,758Gear list
Like?
In reply to bocajrs, Mar 22, 2012

The S9100 is an outstanding pocket camera. Check my photos at dalethorn dot com for Nikon S9100. The newest at top left was 450 mm maximum zoom, cloudy skys and low contrast, and cropped from 4000x3000 down to 2800x2100, then resized. Shot handheld. TIP: Set the camera to take bursts, and you will greatly increase your success rate.

Edit: I have a S9300 on the way. Total confidence.

dale thorn's gear list:dale thorn's gear list
Leica D-Lux 6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Leica T
bocajrs
Like?
In reply to dale thorn, Mar 23, 2012

Im glad that you got a good copy of S9100 - Even after Nikon serviced (they replaced lens I still had issues - white circle in all pictures).

It didnt matter if it was indoors/outdoors, day/night, every other picture was blurry.

Anyways, the wife is now happy with the Panny zs-15 and I with my D5100.

Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
caspianm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,784Gear list
Like?
In reply to bocajrs, Mar 23, 2012

bocajrs wrote:

Im glad that you got a good copy of S9100 - Even after Nikon serviced (they replaced lens I still had issues - white circle in all pictures).

It didnt matter if it was indoors/outdoors, day/night, every other picture was blurry.

Anyways, the wife is now happy with the Panny zs-15 and I with my D5100.

It seems that your camera was defective not a general concessions.

Do you really think that Nikon puts out a camera in the market that takes blurry photos all around?! Vey unlikely.It is funny that you haD a bad case and then went to target and the demo unit was ALSO bad. Coincident??

My unit is a fine little one which I just purchased and is really a good one. Not in the same league as my D300 but it is very competitive with higher quality P&S in the market.

caspianm's gear list:caspianm's gear list
Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 7D Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E +8 more
bocajrs
Like?
In reply to caspianm, Mar 25, 2012

Well, i dont think I was the only one - Just go to Amazon and Nikon USA and read all the negative reviews.

I do think anything is possible, and yes, maybe Nikon produced several hundred if not more bad copies of this camera.

caspianm
Like?
In reply to bocajrs, Mar 27, 2012

bocajrs wrote:

Well, i dont think I was the only one - Just go to Amazon and Nikon USA and read all the negative reviews.

I do think anything is possible, and yes, maybe Nikon produced several hundred if not more bad copies of this camera.

And there are more happy owners. While there could be defective units I do not believe everything I read written by newbie's. It is difficult to shoot a long lens unless you know how. This indeed is a very capable P&S. Now the s93000 has the added GPS reciever for those who care for it.

bocajrs
Like?
In reply to caspianm, Mar 27, 2012

So you automatically assume im a newbie juding by DpReview stats, please. It's not very difficult to take pictures with camera as long as you have a steady hand, which I do.

My copy was a POS and terrible - You got a good copy, end of story. I've moved on with my Panny ZS-15.

caspianm
Like?
In reply to bocajrs, Mar 27, 2012

bocajrs wrote:

So you automatically assume im a newbie juding by DpReview stats, please. It's not very difficult to take pictures with camera as long as you have a steady hand, which I do.

My copy was a POS and terrible - You got a good copy, end of story. I've moved on with my Panny ZS-15.

No I was talking about those amazon reviews you referred to. Good luck with the panny.

dale thorn
Like?
In reply to Lowells, Mar 29, 2012

Here's where I did a critical test comparing the S9100 to the S9300 for image quality. The S9300 is slightly better when viewing at 100 percent. I have had no quality issues with any of my Nikon point and shoot cameras BTW.

http://dalethorn.com/Nikon_9300_01.html

GYMIL
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
In reply to dale thorn, Apr 3, 2012

I love the bridge shot - reminded me of back home a bridge across the " Old Mississippi" Now that you had your 9300 for a couple weeks, can you give me some input. I am looking at the Nikon 9300 also Cannon sx260, but also the P510/Cannon sx40. But like the idea of being able to slide it in my pocket - We are going on a 75 day cruise in a couple months - Japan, China, Indo. etc. I will probably shoot 80+ percent on auto. Any thoughts or suggestion greatly appreciated Want long zoom. I am a 70 year old beginner.

dale thorn
Like?
In reply to GYMIL, Apr 3, 2012

GYMIL wrote:

I love the bridge shot - reminded me of back home a bridge across the " Old Mississippi" Now that you had your 9300 for a couple weeks, can you give me some input. I am looking at the Nikon 9300 also Cannon sx260, but also the P510/Cannon sx40. But like the idea of being able to slide it in my pocket - We are going on a 75 day cruise in a couple months - Japan, China, Indo. etc. I will probably shoot 80+ percent on auto. Any thoughts or suggestion greatly appreciated Want long zoom. I am a 70 year old beginner.

I have a Canon SX-210 but never upgraded it - I went to the S9100 and then S9300 instead. The Canon had a near-400 mm zoom, but the images were very noisy. The S9100 improved on that and also had more zoom, so that was easy. I am always concerned about the camera's ability to produce sharp photos in average light, handheld and at full zoom. The S9300 can do that very well. But I also shoot bursts, which slows down my picture taking, but my odds of getting a very sharp image improve from about 70 percent to about 95 percent. The only viable alternative was to take several single shots to make sure, or risk losing an important shot. The burst mode is working out good. This is not just for the Nikons - it applies to all cameras. I've had several bridge cameras, by Panasonic and Nikon, and here's the thing: To get sharp images at the longer zooms these cameras have (same sensor size as the pocket cameras), you need more than just good image stabilization. You need a very very steady hand, and very strong light. With the longest zooms on bridge cameras my biggest issues were getting focus and then getting a sharp image. For some odd reason I'm having much better luck with the pocket cameras like the S9300. Here's a suggestion: Get on the P510 threads and hammer on those folks about the specific issues they have with maximum zoom, using free-hand, and getting quick focus and sharp images. Maybe you'll get a different impression than what I had with mine.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads