Interesting times

Started Mar 18, 2012 | Discussions
CollBaxter
Forum ProPosts: 12,378Gear list
Like?
Interesting times
Mar 18, 2012

May you live in interesting times “ is a good old Chinese proverb ( actually a curse) . Well the last few days have been like that (Again) with the release of the test samples. The test samples from the E-M5 are very impressive and I don’t care what anyone else’s says. I see 2 to 3 stops better noise.

I would love to have this sensor in one of my cameras. With all the hype I found myself getting gear lust (Again) and thinking of the E-M5. I however reminded myself that its early days and the E-M5 is not going to disappear so don’t be stampeded into rushing out and ordering this camera. What is prevalent though is the advances in Olympus tech which will probably filter through to 4/3 in the guise of a E-50 / E-7 with a cheap easy fix like new sensor and a few other upgrades like video etc ( Actually they don’t need any more than that) . I think the other thing is having this feeling of been left out and the uncertainty. I then though what is so different from last year and the year before and the years before that.

As I have stated before with all its advancements I don’t think the E-M5 or m4/3 is for me yet . Maybe down the line with a bigger camera that can take some of my lenses and sort out the CAF etc. I do not have a problem with big cameras and don’t mind carrying heavier equipment around I like to feel a camera in my hand and not my finger tips. This does not mean that other should if one wants lighter smaller equipment , then m4/3 or other systems are where one should go. I have recommended that people with a basic E-5XX kit lenses and a flash go E-M5 and not upgrade their lenses if they wanted a lighter travel system but keep the kit lenses flash etc. If I was in that position and did a specific type of shooting , I would have a E-M5 on order now. But some of us like the 4/3 cameras and especially the lenses, have become accustomed to them and are reluctant to change to a system that is new and therefore better. A lot of us have been around for awhile and have had the onslaught of other brands trashing the system and we are still around.

So I am going to stick around and see what transpires and try not pee anyone’s parade ( The emphasis on TRY) . Something will come up or it will not , I am going to stick around here in 4/3 for awhile as the tech will wash over to here or it will not . The old sensor in the E=5/30/620 still works as does the E-520 and the last E-500 and all my glass is OK the same as last year. If a E-7 or E-50 comes out I will get one , or a bigger m4/3 that takes my lenses. I have changed my mind on the direction thing as I cant afford to change system

So on that point I still recon my lenses are better than the m4/3 equivalents though and don’t need double correction . (In camera and then in light room ) and what you see is what you get. OK. I had to say that as I am no saint. Oh yes and CAF works ( Sort of)

Cheers

-- hide signature --

Collin

(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )

http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)

New Seventh Wonder of the World.

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-520
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bobby J
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,635Gear list
Like?
Good approach Coll. I'm going to
In reply to CollBaxter, Mar 18, 2012

get one of those little bodies since they are throwing in an adapter for the 4:3 lenses.

I'm not going to get the kit lens which is 300.00 and I'm not impressed by it. I'll use the adapter with my 14x54 MK II. It should work well enough for my purposes and I also have the 40x150 MK II and the 9x18 which should all work reasonably well on that body and make a nice 3.5 lb. travel kit.

At some point Oly might make some lenses for it that I'd be interested in, but they seem to be depending on in camera processing to do a lot of correcting, thus making it possible to sell cheap lenses...at a high price. Not for me.

My main hope is that they'll come out with an E-7 that's around 24 oz. and has all the new tech in it. Now that would be just peachy. I think they'd sell it to everyone who has 4:3 lens system. Based on what I've seen of the new sensor, with a camera like this it's hard to imagine needing or wanting more.

BJM

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tinternaut
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,452Gear list
Like?
Re: Buying it on the day of release is tempting......

I'm actually very happy with my E-30 and E-PL1 but the OM-D is tempting. Not because of the IQ jump (though that is not to be turned down!) but the controls, the weather sealing and the AF advancements make it a potential replacement for both. Weather sealing in particular is desirable since the best shots often come between seasons when it might be west, sunny or both at once.

-- hide signature --
 tinternaut's gear list:tinternaut's gear list
Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
John Iversen
Contributing MemberPosts: 817
Like?
Re: Interesting times

Coll -

My thoughts have run along the same lines, and my plan is exactly similar to yours. Just can't see hanging the 50-200/EC14 from the EM and going out and shooting wildlife. Along with the E-30's, I've got the E-1 for landscape. If Oly does come out with the E-7, and if its any good, so much the better. In the meantime, I'll be keeping an eye out this year for a Bigma, seeing as how that's been on my list for a loong time.

Salskov
--

There is no such animal as a “dead system” – despite what the best efforts of Marketing would have you believe.. That there are many photographers whose opinions would render any extant system obsolete is without dispute, and indispensable to the bottom line of present day camera manufacturers.

CollBaxter
Like?
Enjoy your camera.
In reply to Bobby J, Mar 18, 2012

Yep great camera i am sure you will enjoy it.

When I first saw the 12-50 and everyone was bitching about the slowness I though well it's a bit slow but so what. I looked at the lenstip review and had to agree with the reviewer that when you used to pick up and Olympus lens you knew you where at least going to get a half decent image out of it even the kit lenses.

What I saw in the review worried me a bit. The soft corners and vignetting ( It looked like someone turned on an art filter) . That is or now appears to be was, a 4/3 strength. 4/3 cut the bad corners and sides off and used near tele centric to keep the corners bright . I then looked at the distortion at 12mm and though well that’s bad but have seen worse on some other brand lenses. I then realised that was the corrected jpg and then looked at the raw . Ieeeesh coke bottles. Just how much can you correct in software. The corrected image would require a pass of lens correction in pp software. I then looked at then the flare and CA again not Olympus standard . I started wondering if we have got to a point of good enough is enough just fix it in the camera.

With all the small crappy sensor stuff over the year’s one thing we did not have was crappy glass. There is not a bad Olympus 4/3 lens. I must admit I was a bit startled. And the lens will retail for $499 , $100 less than the 14-55 MKII . Ok it does not have power video but has a decent image. Cheap this lens appears to be but not in price. ( Yes I know it can be had for $300 in the bundel)

It was then that I decided to put the brakes on and slow down.

-- hide signature --

Collin

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)

Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
CollBaxter
Like?
Re: Buying it on the day of release is tempting......
In reply to tinternaut, Mar 18, 2012

I agree the weather sealing and all the other stuff makes it very appealing. If I wanted small lightweight all terrain I would jump at the camera. Hell for the IQ alone most would jump.

One thing that bothers me though is in the preview they mentioned how close the buttons where and how the grip made some of the buttons difficult to get to. Weather sealing = rain or snow or dust. Rain or snow often = gloves. That is going to be interesting see how one gets to the controls. I find even with the E-5 and gloves the buttons can become difficult.

-- hide signature --

Collin

Carsten Simonsen
Regular MemberPosts: 133
Like?

IMHO Olympus has had a tradition for produsing superior objectives (with high resolution even full open) - and very good camera's in 4/3 when it comes to JPEG-engine, colour-rendering and end-result - WHEN YOU USE LOW ISO.

But they have been consequent in end of tail - when it comes to pictures taken with high (er) iso. From E1 to E5 - the later is not impressing either (I've got it) on iso (800) 1600 and further.

The pictures from OM-D - is IMHO - nothing less of an revolution (and that in a grade that defines either a revolutionary new chip/completely new technology - OR - a revolution in postponing technology.

It compares to NOTHING that Olympus formerly has produced - and it even compare very well to FF-camera's priced several times higher.

This revolution should NOT be underminded by the production of a relative cheap kit-objective (but as a consequense also inferior).

CollBaxter
Like?
John re bigma.
In reply to John Iversen, Mar 18, 2012

John if you can get a bigma snap it up. Its a gem on 4/3 with IBIS especially on the E=3/5/30. The smaller sensor cuts the crappy sides and corners away as this lens was originally designed for FF. The focusing is fast'ish and silent. The 50-500 is really something. I find the bigma sharper at 400mm than the 50-200/EC20 combo. It needs a stop to half a stop on the long end. It’s big and quite heavy but it balances nearly perfectly on the tripod mount when attached to a E-30. This is what makes it easy to use heavy is one thing unbalanced nose or bum heavy is another.

If I spot a cheap one I will let you know. Mine needs to go in for a clean as there is a lot of dust on the front elements. I am scared that they bugger it up and can’t fix it so have delayed the clean. Oh yes the bigma is a bit like a dustbuster in that it sucks in a lot of air and dust.

Cheers
--
Collin

CollBaxter
Like?
In reply to Carsten Simonsen, Mar 18, 2012

Carsten Simonsen wrote:

IMHO Olympus has had a tradition for produsing superior objectives (with high resolution even full open) - and very good camera's in 4/3 when it comes to JPEG-engine, colour-rendering and end-result - WHEN YOU USE LOW ISO.

But they have been consequent in end of tail - when it comes to pictures taken with high (er) iso. From E1 to E5 - the later is not impressing either (I've got it) on iso (800) 1600 and further.

The pictures from OM-D - is IMHO - nothing less of an revolution (and that in a grade that defines either a revolutionary new chip/completely new technology - OR - a revolution in postponing technology.

It compares to NOTHING that Olympus formerly has produced - and it even compare very well to FF-camera's priced several times higher.

This revolution should NOT be underminded by the production of a relative cheap kit-objective (but as a consequense also inferior).

I agree fully these this camera produces the best images I have seen on any Olympus camera and on some other systems to.

Those wonderful images where shoot with a wonderful camera with a wonderful sensor and a WONDERFUL 50mm f/2 4/3 lens.

As I have stated in a post near the top I was startled by what Olympus released in the 12-50. Let hope it’s a one off bad design and released to get something out the door with the new camera ( Rush Job) .

The tech is there and lets rejoice in that.

-- hide signature --

Collin

Carsten Simonsen
Regular MemberPosts: 133
Like?

I agree. I think the 12-50 is a "rush-jobb" - to get an WHEATHER-sealed - but not too expencive objective to make some relevance for the wheather-sealed OM-D. BUT - they has also stated that the OM-D is NOT he pro mFT camera mentioned earlyer!

IMHO - OM-D will therefore be followed (in a relatively short time) by an pro-mfT camera - AND (logical consequence) - by some HQ, bright weather-sealed lenses - presumably first in normal-zoom area.

The prospective of an pro-mFT (and what it HAS to implement on optics - AND with the results from the OM-D) is like birthday and Christmas on same day for mee - it should indicate a very bright wheather-sealed (and sharp) future!...

BDTROUT
Regular MemberPosts: 226
Like?
In reply to CollBaxter, Mar 19, 2012

I am sorry Coll, but I am going to be more judgemental on this.You don't see Nikon telling everyone to jump ship and buy adapters to mount their 70-200vr to the J series mini micro.Come on Olympus don't you fellas here the crys of us users inveasted in 4/3 glass?????? put out a few bodies to keep us happy already,,,,,geeze its not like ya have to develop a whole new system, its already been established.Just take that em5 and make it little bit wider,little bit fatter(so my hands fit it, and the 150 f2) and put a big azz prism in that camal hump on top and produce that sucker already, I will GAURENTEE,,,it will prob outsell the micros.
Bill

JoannaK
Contributing MemberPosts: 637Gear list
Like?
Upgrade times.. Re: Interesting times

I have not yet decided what to do, but I think that E-M5 is so far out of my reach at the moment I rather keep with 4/3 sytems and just upgrade E-510 and FL-36.

I have found decently priced (2hand) Metz 58AF1/oly and I think it would give me a decent low light boost. Especially on recharge times, nothing could be slower than FL36..

For 510... It'll be either E-600/620 (depending availability) or E-30 ... I know that E-30 is a lot more professional and serious camera, but at the same time I'd have to balance excess weight and price. And yes, being worried about price of 2handed E-30.. Sad isn't it?

Anyhow.. the E.30 would perhaps be better fit with my Zuiko 14-54 (mk1), since I like that optic a lot and I even might to ditch the 14.42 alongside 510 if I manage to give it in being part of the deal.

With those upgrades I'd get couple generations better AF, IQ and Wireless flash controll. And while the camera system would not be really as compact as those Pen/om-D like, it would most likelty be quite suitable for me.

JoannaK's gear list:JoannaK's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +1 more
CollBaxter
Like?
Re: Upgrade times.. Re: Interesting times
In reply to JoannaK, Mar 19, 2012

I hear what you are saying and in your case I do agree. The metz flashes are really good. I have the 50 AF and it a steal . There is not comparison to the FL-36 its a far better flash . As to the camera bodies I would suggest the E-30 as its more in line with the E-510. The E-600/620 has a lousy grip and the IS is not that good. The IQ is better on the E-30. As you have the 14-54 it is also a cheaper better way to upgrade. My point on the upgrade is that if one had been waiting to upgrade and only had kit lenses then the E-M5 was a route.
--
Collin

MikePDX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,349Gear list
Like?
Re: Upgrade times.. Re: Interesting times

Colin,

I sympathize with your position. I, too have been a lifelong Oly user - well since my OM-1 in 1973, at least. Wow! I just realized that's coming up on 40 years! I've chosen a different path for now. I dearly love my E-30 - if someone wants to take it from me, they will have to pry it out of my cold dead fingers.

However, with some extensive traveling coming up I don't have a backup body. And I've recently got interested in doing more street shooting. Both of these things made me order an E-M5 with a m4/3 45mm f/1.8. That looks like a sweet walk-around setup. I also ordered the weather sealed 4/3 adapter. I'll use it with my CAF-capable 14-54 II and 9-18. When it comes to hanging my 50-200 plus EC 1.4 on it, well I still have the E-30, after all.

Another choice might have been to pick up a second used E-30, but at an eBay price of $500-$600 I'm leary of dealing with someone else's problems. Plus that kit (2 E-30 bodies plus lenses) gets a little heavy for travel.

Now, if Olympus does come out with a weather-sealed E-50 using the new sensor, I will jump for joy and mortgage my house. An E-7 the same size and weight as the E-3/E-5 is not for me.
--
-Mike
It's much easier to criticize than to create
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mike-pdx/collections/

MikePDX's gear list:MikePDX's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
dingobear
Regular MemberPosts: 395
Like?

Well put, Collin.

Being an Olympus digital user has kind of been a frustrating experience. Four Thirds has always had terrific glass (down to the underrated kit lenses), but the bodies and sensor tech have always seemed a step behind. On the other hand, with the OM-D, it appears as if Olympus has finally come up with a very capable body, but most of its Micro lens lineup leaves something to be desired. I find that lenstip.com review of the 12-50 a disturbing continuation of a trend.

It would be nice if Oly could put it all together for both systems (or just one system), but the cynic in me says that if they ever do and we were all satisfied, where would the new sales come from? I wonder if that's how the marketing department thinks. Even if not, kind of sad this consumer-driven culture we're in.

Most of the stuff I do is travel, so I'm inclined towards smaller set-ups and I guess I should've taken to Micro more than I have so far. I do have a Panny GF-2 with three primes (Panny 14, Panny 20, Zuiko 45) which isn't a bad setup. Ideally though, I'd like to pair a high quality normal zoom with a leading-edge Micro body like an OM-D. That, or get the latest sensor tech in an updated Four Thirds body so I can continue to make good use of the Four Thirds glass I still have lying around.

In the meantime, like you, I'm sort of just treading water. The Four Thirds stuff still performs, and I use it. The Micro stuff is nice for travel, and I use it. In fact, lately, I've been getting back into film and instant film! I guess the point is, we're still taking pictures and that's what counts.

So in that spirit (and in tribute to your excellent wildlife photography which i've long admired), here's a recent wildlife shot of my own using my awesomely low-fi Polaroid Spectra Pro camera with expired Polaroid Image film:

Apparently, bears and cheetahs enjoy a roasted marshmallow now and then, too.

Have fun with your shooting,
db

dab1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,225Gear list
Like?
Re: Very Tempting.....

CollBaxter wrote:

May you live in interesting times “ is a good old Chinese proverb ( actually a curse) . Well the last few days have been like that (Again) with the release of the test samples. The test samples from the E-M5 are very impressive and I don’t care what anyone else’s says. I see 2 to 3 stops better noise.

I really don't know how many stops, but just comparing RAW in the shadowy areas
against many cameras...it's more a "long jump" by Olympus than the usual step.
Great!

I would love to have this sensor in one of my cameras. With all the hype I found myself getting gear lust (Again) and thinking of the E-M5. I however reminded myself that its early days and the E-M5 is not going to disappear so don’t be stampeded into rushing out and ordering this camera. What is prevalent though is the advances in Olympus tech which will probably filter through to 4/3 in the guise of a E-50 / E-7 with a cheap easy fix like new sensor and a few other upgrades like video etc ( Actually they don’t need any more than that) . I think the other thing is having this feeling of been left out and the uncertainty. I then though what is so different from last year and the year before and the years before that.

So I am going to stick around and see what transpires and try not pee anyone’s parade ( The emphasis on TRY) . Something will come up or it will not , I am going to stick around here in 4/3 for awhile as the tech will wash over to here or it will not . The old sensor in the E=5/30/620 still works as does the E-520 and the last E-500 and all my glass is OK the same as last year. If a E-7 or E-50 comes out I will get one , or a bigger m4/3 that takes my lenses. I have changed my mind on the direction thing as I cant afford to change system

They've already said an E5 is being looked at, and who knows...maybe an
E50 type camera.

So on that point I still recon my lenses are better than the m4/3 equivalents though and don’t need double correction . (In camera and then in light room ) and what you see is what you get. OK. I had to say that as I am no saint. Oh yes and CAF works ( Sort of)

I'm thinking of this camera and the 45mm 1.8 for some work.

The trick they are missing for this baby is a high quality 17/1.8 weather sealed for general street work (about the size of the old OM 35/2)...but maybe it's on the CAD system right now!

tert
Forum MemberPosts: 60
Like?
Re: Just bought a brand new e30

I had the e300 ever since it was released. 7 years on, I was looking for an upgrade, and like many I found that there is none except the e5. After reading the positive reviews on the e30 (including that of yourself), I decided on the camera and thankfully managed to get a brand new kit with 14-54 II at a really good price in Australia. I deliberated on the em5, but really wanted a 4/3 cam to pair with my 50mm, and a really good zoom than what the 12-50 has to offer.

It feels almost as if I want to own a zuiko legacy, and it don't really bothers me if 4/3 is no longer around the next time I am looking to upgrade. That would probably be another 7 years on, I will decide there and then to see what's available, till then I would enjoy the e30.

Terence

tinternaut
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,452Gear list
Like?
Re: Decision not to upgrade has been made for me.....

I can afford an OM-D, or I can afford a week in Rome with the equipment I have. No contest!

-- hide signature --
 tinternaut's gear list:tinternaut's gear list
Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
jpviau
Regular MemberPosts: 236
Like?

Very interesting post.

Feeling abandonned too and being an ex-Minolta user, I'm suffering from post traumatic syndrome maybe

Beside, as always Olympus is innovative and ingenious, but is also quickly followed by the competition and for a better price. Even in the size battle.

The OM-D5 is nice and tempting, but my needs are more oriented toward 4/3 than m4/3.

I know that Olympus won't release an improved E-50 or lower the price of the E-5 to competitive level.

That's why I reminded myself of another proverb. "When you can't beat them, join them". And off to Canon I went.

Still keeping my E-520, E-410 and some lenses (used them yesterday) but only until I rebuilt a lens outfit for my new 60D over the next 12 to 24 months.

Pax !

-- hide signature --

Jean-Paul

E-1 (sold 2009; should have keep it); E-520 (since December 2008!) E-410 (since June 2007) E-500 (2006- lost 2007); zuiki 14-54 (sold 2009); zuiko 14-42 (excellent, sold 2009); zuiko 14-45 (on the E410); zuiko 40-150Mk1 (excellent); zuiko 40-150 Mk2 (sold); zuiko 50 f2 macro (sold 2009, hoping for SWD version, should have keep it); Zuiko 70-300 (sold 2010, fun for portrait and compressed perspective, not fast enough for birding); flash FL-36 (so-so but light and useful)

Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,016Gear list
Like?
Despite what some say

I think we're due for a new E-X/XX this fall rather than next fall. There's just no good excuse to wait an extra year (especially if they've been building the E-5 in small, just enough to meet demand batches rather than having a warehouse stuffed w them)

Also see that Amazon has the E-5 for $100 off, so maybe they're finally starting to cut the price of that camera?

btw, I do like the look of the E-M5, and I'd be tempted if I had the cash... I'll likely wait for a refurb tho.

Actually would be slightly less interested in an E-xxx w the new sensor ... sure it would take all my current lenses w/o complaint, but it wouldn't take those small primes that have my interest these days. Besides, most of my lenses are CD compatible so I wouldn't lose much going mirrorless.
--
Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads