Cleaned SD1M sensor myself

Started Mar 18, 2012 | Discussions
Rawmeister
Regular MemberPosts: 266
Like?
Cleaned SD1M sensor myself
Mar 18, 2012

After much consultation I went ahead and cleaned my SD1M and SD14 sensors with a bulb blower.

I eliminated any possible affect from the lenses by switching them between the 2 bodies and retesting. No difference with different lens.

So then I cleaned both sensors and protectors.
It all went smoothly until I checked on the results...

SD1M - the same dust spots were still there and there was new ones to make it about twice as bad as before.

SD14 - most of the dust spots were still there and there were some new ones that were not there before. Maybe some just moved around a bit.

So overall - worse than before.

If this will be an ongoing problem with the SD1M (only have around 55 acctuations on it - I will definetly return it for a refund, since cleaning it myself does not seem effective. Pretty darn annoyed at the moment that I could spend that much on a body and have a problem such as this. The shutter must be sluffing off debris as it operates because I never removed the protective mount filter on SD1M before getting the spots. Sigma will need to solve this problem for me or it goes back for a refund.

Sigma SD1 Sigma SD14
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ChromeLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,487
Like?
Re: Cleaned SD1M sensor myself
In reply to Rawmeister, Mar 18, 2012

A bulb blower? What is this: 2001?? I've never see any reputable expert recommend a bulb blower.Google: Copper Hill Method.

If you want to use a dry method I used to have a special brush. You would 'charge' and clean the brush with a special brand of compressed air. The air would cause the brush to have a strong electrostatic charge. You would then clean your sensor with the brush. If the brush didn't work you then had to use a wet technique.

Rawmeister wrote:

After much consultation I went ahead and cleaned my SD1M and SD14 sensors with a bulb blower.

I eliminated any possible affect from the lenses by switching them between the 2 bodies and retesting.
It all went smoothly until I checked on the results...

SD1M - the same dust spots were still there and there was new ones to make it about twice as bad as before.

SD14 - most of the dust spots were still there and there were some new ones that were not there before. Maybe some just moved around a bit.

So overall - worse than before.

If this will be an ongoing problem with the SD1M (only have around 55 acctuations on it - I will definetly return it for a refund, since cleaning it myself does not seem effective. Pretty darn annoyed at the moment that I could spend that much on a body and have a problem such as this. The shutter must be sluffing off debris as it operates because I never removed the protective mount filter on SD1M before getting the spots. Sigma will need to solve this problem for me or it goes back for a refund.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rawmeister
Like?
In reply to ChromeLight, Mar 18, 2012

Excuse me mr chrome.....

I cleaned the sensor following the exact method recommended in the Manual.
And the method recommended by many experienced users on this forum.
The safest first try method that does not risk damaging the sensor.

But you seem to think i was wrong and you have advise on what I should have done?
No thanks. It's not helpful.

Anyways yopu seem to miss the point that I should not be ahving to deal with this problem with a brand new expensivve camera that has not had the protective filter removed. That is the issue.

nico1974
Regular MemberPosts: 333
Like?

For god's sake all DSLRs suffer from this problem. Just get better at cleaning the sensor and stop complaining.

Rawmeister
Like?

And Mr ChromeLight....

No it's not 2001, in case you were not aware, but maybe you better call Sigma and let them know because they even have an illustration of one being used to clean their SD1M in the SD1M manual.
Take your insulting oneupmanship copper hill method nonsense and shuve it.

guzzibreva1
Contributing MemberPosts: 883
Like?

Sensor cleaning kits are available at most camera stores.
The one I saw used a wet cleaning method.

Most cameras have a worse potential for this problem since any time a lens is changed there is a chance dirt can enter the camera.

Rawmeister
Like?
In reply to nico1974, Mar 18, 2012

You're wrong - most have a vibration dust buster that eliminates the probelem and it works great on my 6 other DSLRs. never had a prob on those.
Only had this problem on Sigma.

And you also miss the point that I should not have to deal with thios after only 55 acctuations and no protector removel. You do understand that point - yes?

nico1974
Like?

And you also miss the point that I should not have to deal with thios after only 55 > > acctuations and no protector removel. You do understand that point - yes?

Sorry no I don't get your point - you seem to get very emotional over what is a bit of dust - learn how to clean your sensor it is not that hard and maybe use your other 6 SLRs instead. Why do you need so many are you collecting them?

guzzibreva1
Like?
In reply to guzzibreva1, Mar 18, 2012

Dirt is usually held on to another surface by an electrostatic charge. This is quite a large force and blowing air will not remove the dust. At the surface of the sensor the velocity of the air is very low. Think about how dirt will not come off of your car simply by spraying water on it. You must use a physical force like a rag to remove dirt. The same is true for removing dust from a sensor.

It does seem strange that this dirt could be in the camera when new and could be disappointing, but any camera will eventually need cleaning. Companies don't make sensor cleaning kits just for Sigma.

Rawmeister
Like?

I tried again with a soft brush and wiped it lightly on the sensor surface.
Even though it says to not touch the surface with anything in the manual.
And then followed that up with another blast from my bulb blower.
Result - the dust is still there, the same amount, but now in different places.

Will call Sigma on Monday to see what they say.

Probably will tell me to bring it in - drive 100 kilometers and kill a whole day on something that should have never happened.
Not amused in the least.

I know what will happen after that. The problem will come back in a month and they will tell me to bring it in again. But I'm not gonna let that nonesense happen to me. Don't have time to remove spots in post for every job I do. That just cost my customers money. Not good.
Have decided to return the camera.

FelixW
Regular MemberPosts: 475
Like?

Hey,

i bought this a few days ago to use it with my SD14:
http://visibledust.com/products3.php?pid=423

My sensor has never been cleaner! Although it takes a bit of courage to use it for the first time, it's not really difficult to handle it.

Greetings,
Felix

-- hide signature --
Ronald Marvin
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?

I also have a Canon 5D Mk II and even with a supposed sensor cleaner I have a significant problem with dust spots. It's not just a problem with Sigma, don't give up.

guzzibreva1
Like?

A web site with good info.
http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/

I don't think the problem will return after a few proper cleanings. This camera has the advantage of being sealed.

Rawmeister
Like?
In reply to Ronald Marvin, Mar 18, 2012

I also have a 5D2 and it's been spotless for 2 years. Never had a problem and the lenses get changed regularly. Around 3000 actuations.

Richard Franiec
Senior MemberPosts: 2,030Gear list
Like?

Rawmeister wrote:

And Mr ChromeLight....

No it's not 2001, in case you were not aware, but maybe you better call Sigma and let them know because they even have an illustration of one being used to clean their SD1M in the SD1M manual.
Take your insulting oneupmanship copper hill method nonsense and shuve it.

ChromeLight was just trying to help you with dust problem on the sensor.
The methods he has recommended are the most effective ones in solving the issue.

Dust on sensor is as common as changing the lenses. Sensor shake help somewhat but is not a total remedy. Sensor has residual static charge which attract the dust from the immediate area. Blowing air is possibly least effective way to get rid of sensor dust and can introduce even more unwanted spots.

Richard Franiec's gear list:Richard Franiec's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +5 more
guzzibreva1
Like?
In reply to Richard Franiec, Mar 18, 2012

"In Japan, Nikon, has already started selling a swab and methanol, sensor cleaning kit to consumers, but they have yet to make them available in the USA."

From the web site.

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/

Also

"Blowing - This is the method you will see described in your owners manual from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax & Sigma. They don't want you touching the low pass filter for liability reasons., None of these manufacturers use this as their exclusive in-house method to clean the low pass filters. Yes, blowing should ALWAYS be part of your ritual, but using it as your only method and hoping the dust will leave is a waste of time in most cases."

nico1974
Like?
In reply to guzzibreva1, Mar 18, 2012

"In Japan, Nikon, has already started selling a swab and methanol, sensor cleaning kit to consumers, but they have yet to make them available in the USA."

Hmmm I wonder why the are no available in the US/Canada yet ... some people these days are so ignorant it is scary

Ronald Marvin
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?

I guess your lucky, I live in a desert area and continue to have dust problems with my Canon and spend a lot of time in PhotoShop getting rid of them. I have also taken a large number of images, but when I enlarge the images on the computer monitor, there are the dust spots. Good luck finding a solution, perhaps Sigma can help you out.

nico1974
Like?

That just cost my customers money. Not good.
Have decided to return the camera.

Good - can you please close this thread then as it is beyond ridiculous.

Rawmeister
Like?
In reply to nico1974, Mar 18, 2012

It's clear that you understand so very little.

How about you do me the same favour that you promised the last guy you offended on this forum, by saying to me "will stay clear trying to help you out in future."
That will be much appreciated by me.
Thank you and good luck with your future endeavours.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads