Off-camera flash on Canon 550D ?

Started Mar 17, 2012 | Discussions
ipsearch
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?
Off-camera flash on Canon 550D ?
Mar 17, 2012

Hi there

Can I operate off-camera flash with Canon 550D. Do i have to run cable or does Canon 550D have some wireless capabilities to control Canon Speedlite 580EX II.

Thanks

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
confyushis
Contributing MemberPosts: 856Gear list
Like?
cord or wireless transmitter ... both sold separately (n/t)
In reply to ipsearch, Mar 18, 2012

ipsearch wrote:

Hi there

Can I operate off-camera flash with Canon 550D. Do i have to run cable or does Canon 550D have some wireless capabilities to control Canon Speedlite 580EX II.

Thanks

confyushis's gear list:confyushis's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
WilbaW
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,674Gear list
Like?
Re: Off-camera flash on Canon 550D ?

I've added a How can I use my external flash off the camera? section to the unofficial Rebel forum FAQ - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ . Let me know if it works for you.

Y0GI
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,210Gear list
Like?

I bought the Yongnuo RF 602 remote trigger system. It works well but the flash is manual only - no ETTL. The RF 602 also works as a remote shutter release if you order the right cable to go with it.
--
Yogi

When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!

See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.

Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
Amateur Hour
New MemberPosts: 16Gear list
Like?
In reply to ipsearch, Mar 19, 2012

Unless I'm mistaken, the 550d doesn't have the built-in wireless control. In that case, if you're looking for full TTL remote flash capability. You'll need a remote flash controller - either a 580EX II or an ST-E2 remote flash controller. You can get an ST-E2 quite inexpensively off of eBay - especially the Yongnuo ones. Of course, you'll need a compatible flash, any of the Canon EX series flashes will do. The Yongnuo 565EX goes for as little as $149, and it's fully compatible with Canon compatible wireless controllers. (It's is not a master controller though - only a slave like the 430ex II).

There are also a few non-optical full TTL wireless solutions. There's the Pixel King; Pocket Wizard has one, and Phottix has one also. None of these solutions are cheap though.

Amateur Hour's gear list:Amateur Hour's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Canon Pixma MX860
Swaleck
Regular MemberPosts: 275
Like?
In reply to Y0GI, Mar 19, 2012

I use the Yongnuo ST-E2 on my 50D for off camera flash and found it to work very well thus far. Got it off $bay for about $110. For less $$$ you can use a off camera cord.

Scott
--
http://bigsaint.smugmug.com/

ipsearch
Like?
In reply to Amateur Hour, Mar 19, 2012

So I can use Canon 580EX II and it will work off camera and does not require any cable but will trigger via Canon 550D ?

I dont want to use the camera flash, but use only external flash.

Cheers

Amateur Hour wrote:

Unless I'm mistaken, the 550d doesn't have the built-in wireless control. In that case, if you're looking for full TTL remote flash capability. You'll need a remote flash controller - either a 580EX II or an ST-E2 remote flash controller. You can get an ST-E2 quite inexpensively off of eBay - especially the Yongnuo ones. Of course, you'll need a compatible flash, any of the Canon EX series flashes will do. The Yongnuo 565EX goes for as little as $149, and it's fully compatible with Canon compatible wireless controllers. (It's is not a master controller though - only a slave like the 430ex II).

There are also a few non-optical full TTL wireless solutions. There's the Pixel King; Pocket Wizard has one, and Phottix has one also. None of these solutions are cheap though.

007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,207Gear list
Like?
Canon 580ex won't work off camera, you're not understanding this correctly

ipsearch wrote:

So I can use Canon 580EX II and it will work off camera and does not require any cable but will trigger via Canon 550D ?

Give it up, Canon 550d simply doesn't have the HARDWARE to do wireless flash. If you want Wireless, consider buying either the cheap CATUS (PT04) on ebay or the more elegant but expensive Canon ST controlller.

Canon 550d cannot wireless-ly sent flash signal to 580ex II. What he is talking about is that you must buy 2 SEPARATE FLASH :

• Canon 580ex II flash ATTACHED onto your Canon T2i, which allow it to sent wireless signal to

• cheaper and smaller flashes like 430ex, 430ex2, or 320ex

• but you still need to ATTACHED a 580ex Flash ($400) on top of your Canon T2i.

If you analyzed the entire cost (buying 2 flashes, or buying expensive ST2), it is actually much cheaper to sell your Canon T2i and buy a Canon T3i. That is the conclusion I reached after looking at my wireless option for my Canon T1i

007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Nikon D3100 Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
ipsearch
Like?
Re: Canon 580ex won't work off camera, you're not understanding this correctly
In reply to 007peter, Mar 19, 2012

Hi Peter

Thanks for the reply, I will need to be contend with operating off camera cables via cables only.

I cannot justify myself spending money to get new camera just to trigger wireless flash. Would go for new lenses rather .

Do you recommend to buy canon 580EX II or some third party flash. I need flash for portrait photography.

Cheers

Cheers

007peter wrote:

ipsearch wrote:

Give it up, Canon 550d simply doesn't have the HARDWARE to do wireless flash. If you want Wireless, consider buying either the cheap CATUS (PT04) on ebay or the more elegant but expensive Canon ST controlller.

Canon 550d cannot wireless-ly sent flash signal to 580ex II. What he is talking about is that you must buy 2 SEPARATE FLASH :

• Canon 580ex II flash ATTACHED onto your Canon T2i, which allow it to sent wireless signal to

• cheaper and smaller flashes like 430ex, 430ex2, or 320ex

• but you still need to ATTACHED a 580ex Flash ($400) on top of your Canon T2i.

If you analyzed the entire cost (buying 2 flashes, or buying expensive ST2), it is actually much cheaper to sell your Canon T2i and buy a Canon T3i. That is the conclusion I reached after looking at my wireless option for my Canon T1i

wave01
Regular MemberPosts: 264
Like?

hi the 550d/t2i cannot trigger a flash remotely.

what you need is a a trigger that sits on your camera and a receiver that will sit on your flash. that way you can remote trigger the flash.

what you will find is the cheap ones dont ettl so you have to use them manually, also you will have to check if they are compatible with the flash you have or will buy.

007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,207Gear list
Like?
does anyone know if you can trigger flash with CABLE?

ipsearch wrote:

Hi Peter Thanks for the reply, I will need to be contend with operating off camera cables via cables only.

Hum.... Does anyone know if Rebel can even trigger a remote flash via cable?

I could be wrong, but I believe you need a PC-SYNC port to do cable-wired-flash. I have not investigated that option so I cannot say with 100% certainty, but I'm pretty sure that you need a pc-sync port to do that.

The cheapest option is the cheap Ebay Catus PT-04, but it not elegant. For me, I don't want to carry 6-8 pack AA. Let see

• 2xAA for Catus Master attach to your 550d

• 2xAA for Catus Receiver to trigger remote flash

• 4xAA for your Canon Flash

In my experience, AA are troublesome. All it take is one bad AA, and the performance of flash suffers. The last time I investigate into wireless flash, my final conclusion is that the total cost of setup, the pain of setting them up, plus no eTTL support , and the hassel of manually setting all flash setting correctly.....

The easist and the most elegant solution is for me to sell my Canon T1i and buy a Canon T3i. The difference in selling T1i and buying T3i is about $250, which is in the same ball pack as a Canon ST-02 receiver.

The best wireless option are also the most expensive. Pocket Wizard is simply the best, most elegant, and most useful. But the entire setup will cost you north of $300-$400. So, I"m back to selling T1i and buying T3i again.

007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Nikon D3100 Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Y0GI
Like?

ipsearch wrote:

Do you recommend to buy canon 580EX II or some third party flash. I need flash for portrait photography.

The Canon 580 EX II or the 430 EX II would be the best. You can save a lot by buying used. I picked up a used 580 EX II off Craigslist for $300. It was in like new condition and I have been very satisfied with it. There is not much to wear out on a flash, but I would think twice before buying from a pro wedding photog. The used 580 EX I and 430 EX I are additional cost saving options. Even a used 550 EX is a good option to consider.

There are some pretty good third party options, like the Nissin DI 622 II or Nissin DI 866 II. Check this website for reviews and feature comparisons: http://speedlights.net/compare-speedlight-specs/?model=580EX+II&model2=Di866+Mark+II

Yongnuo is a Chinese company that makes cheap flashes: http://speedlights.net/2011/08/28/yongnuo-yn-565-ex-flash-review/ You might want to consider one of these also.

Good luck!

-- hide signature --

Yogi

When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!

Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
membervarun
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?
In reply to Y0GI, Jul 25, 2012

hey guys,

I have Canon 550D. I am looking to buy a flash (580ex II) and want to trigger remotely, the above flash which will be off camera, as slave. The master will be the canon default flash which comes with the 550d body.

I might need a Yongsou type receiver?

So net net, would 1) buying the 580EX-II , 2) Yongsou receiver/transmitter and 3) Canon RC-6
to trigger the shoot work?

thnks.

membervarun's gear list:membervarun's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Y0GI
Like?
In reply to membervarun, Jul 25, 2012

membervarun wrote:

hey guys,

I have Canon 550D. I am looking to buy a flash (580ex II) and want to trigger remotely, the above flash which will be off camera, as slave. The master will be the canon default flash which comes with the 550d body.

The built-in flash on the 550D has NO master flash capabilities. Furthermore, if you mount a radio trigger in the hotshoe this will disable the built-in flash.

Yes, I would say so.

So net net, would 1) buying the 580EX-II , 2) Yongsou receiver/transmitter and 3) Canon RC-6

I can't see any reason it would not work, within the constraints noted above. Some Rebels have a problem with external flash triggers when shooting in Live View, but I can't recall which ones.

thnks.

-- hide signature --

Yogi

photonius
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,102
Like?
Re: does anyone know if you can trigger flash with CABLE?
In reply to 007peter, Jul 25, 2012

007peter wrote:

ipsearch wrote:

Hi Peter Thanks for the reply, I will need to be contend with operating off camera cables via cables only.

Hum.... Does anyone know if Rebel can even trigger a remote flash via cable?

I could be wrong, but I believe you need a PC-SYNC port to do cable-wired-flash. I have not investigated that option so I cannot say with 100% certainty, but I'm pretty sure that you need a pc-sync port to do that.

You can from the hot-shoe. There are good cables available on ebay really cheap.

The cheapest option is the cheap Ebay Catus PT-04, but it not elegant. For me, I don't want to carry 6-8 pack AA. Let see

• 2xAA for Catus Master attach to your 550d

• 2xAA for Catus Receiver to trigger remote flash

• 4xAA for your Canon Flash

In my experience, AA are troublesome. All it take is one bad AA, and the performance of flash suffers. The last time I investigate into wireless flash, my final conclusion is that the total cost of setup, the pain of setting them up, plus no eTTL support , and the hassel of manually setting all flash setting correctly.....

The easist and the most elegant solution is for me to sell my Canon T1i and buy a Canon T3i. The difference in selling T1i and buying T3i is about $250, which is in the same ball pack as a Canon ST-02 receiver.

The best wireless option are also the most expensive. Pocket Wizard is simply the best, most elegant, and most useful. But the entire setup will cost you north of $300-$400. So, I"m back to selling T1i and buying T3i again.

-- hide signature --

Life is short, time to zoom in ©

photonius
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,102
Like?
In reply to membervarun, Jul 25, 2012

membervarun wrote:

hey guys,

I think this is a problem. I have looked at this and it does not seem to work.

The only place to capture any flash signal is in the hot shoe. But if something (extension cable, wireless transmitter) is in the hot shoe, the internal flash will not pop-up. It's just a mechanical switch (I put once a plastic hot-shoe cover in there, and the flash didn't work). So, you probably have to get an extra flash.

I had an old optical remote flash trigger, but neither my external 430 EX II, nor my old Vivitar 283) was reliably triggered by this with the internall 550D flash.

thnks.

-- hide signature --

Life is short, time to zoom in ©

luffy27
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to ipsearch, 9 months ago
you canot use off camera flash on 550d because it does not have Integrated Speedlite Transmitter, but there's an option. You can use canon 580ex II as a master and then you can now use other flash a slave.
Pitbullo
Regular MemberPosts: 258
Like?
In reply to ipsearch, 9 months ago

I have the same gear as you, and off camera flash require some extra hardware. This summer I bought Yongnuo YN622c wireless trancievers. Cheap, easy to use and full ETTL. Run and buy!!! I use them (bought two pairs) to control three flashes, all controlled through the LCD/menu in camera.

HornOUBet
Senior MemberPosts: 1,232Gear list
Like?
In reply to Pitbullo, 8 months ago

Pitbullo wrote:

I have the same gear as you, and off camera flash require some extra hardware. This summer I bought Yongnuo YN622c wireless trancievers. Cheap, easy to use and full ETTL. Run and buy!!! I use them (bought two pairs) to control three flashes, all controlled through the LCD/menu in camera.

Which 3 flashes? I have a Metz 44 AF which is E-TTL with my 550D in hot shoe or with cable, but am looking for off camera E-TTL in 2 or more flashes but am not sure if I can use the Metz....

-- hide signature --
 HornOUBet's gear list:HornOUBet's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III +15 more
Creativjoos
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
YN-560EX Most affordable solution - $75-$90 TTL off-camera only
In reply to HornOUBet, 6 months ago

Yongnuo 560EX. Not to be confused with yongnuo 560, 560ii, or 560iii. I believe the 560ex is newer than those. The 560ex is not capable of e-ttl on camera ( only manual mode on camera) but - used off camera, it can do e-ttl in conjunction with a wireless transmitter such as canon St-e2 or youngnuo's st-e2.

I just received a 560Ex today, paid $75.00 from a U.S. Seller, new/unused. I have a canon T2i/550D.

My only only question is if this flash can be used with radio triggers (yn602 or 603) or if it only responds to infared signals (St-e2) would the St-e2 struggle in outdoor environment?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads