:/ HDMI out @1080i only!

Started Mar 17, 2012 | Discussions
JimmyTwoShoes
Forum MemberPosts: 94Gear list
Like?
:/ HDMI out @1080i only!
Mar 17, 2012

I love photography and want to capture video using the D800 but it appears the HDMI outputs at (uncompressed) 1080i and not 1080p. This is a huge blow for me as I have invested in an external field recorder specifically to capture 1080p @ 4:2:2 using that wonderful sensor.

is there any evidence to the contrary? if it is the case, could it be updated in a future FW update?

Edit: D800

JimmyTwoShoes's gear list:JimmyTwoShoes's gear list
Nikon D40X Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
aaront
Senior MemberPosts: 1,120Gear list
Like?
Re: :/ HDMI out @1080i only!
In reply to JimmyTwoShoes, Mar 17, 2012

JimmyTwoShoes wrote:

I love photography and want to capture video using the D800 but it appears the HDMI outputs at (uncompressed) 1080i and not 1080p. This is a huge blow for me as I have invested in an external field recorder specifically to capture 1080p @ 4:2:2 using that wonderful sensor.

is there any evidence to the contrary? if it is the case, could it be updated in a future FW update?

Hi Jimmy. Worry not. You will find that it outputs 1080i at 60fps. Your editing software will put it together and give you 1080p. This is not the only camera to do this. And, it ends up giving you a true 1080p.
--
Aaron Thomson

aaront's gear list:aaront's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dholl
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,115
Like?
In reply to aaront, Mar 17, 2012

aaront wrote:

Hi Jimmy. Worry not. You will find that it outputs 1080i at 60fps. Your editing software will put it together and give you 1080p. This is not the only camera to do this. And, it ends up giving you a true 1080p.

This is disappointing. One of the presumed advantages of the D800 over the 5DIII has just been rescinded. We're now left with a much closer fight between:

• 1080p All-I compression

• 1080i uncompressed HDMI

Converting 1080i 60fps to cinema-quality 1080p 24fps will be a real pain, whereas the 1080p 24fps All-I is ready-to-go.

Looks like Canon will win this particular fight after all.

bob elkind
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,802Gear list
Like?
WRONG: HDMI out @1080i only!

From page 258 of the D800 User Manual:

During movie live view and movie recording and playback, HDMI output will be adjusted according to the option selected for Movie settings > Frame size/frame rate in the shooting menu (page 70).

-- hide signature --

Bob Elkind

Family, mostly sports. Seriously, folks, I'm not that good. If I can do it, you can do it!
photo galleries at http://eteam.zenfolio.com
my relationship with my camera is strictly photonic

bob elkind's gear list:bob elkind's gear list
Nikon D700 Canon EOS 500D Nikon D600 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
aaront
Senior MemberPosts: 1,120Gear list
Like?
In reply to dholl, Mar 17, 2012

dholl wrote:

aaront wrote:

This is disappointing. One of the presumed advantages of the D800 over the 5DIII has just been rescinded. We're now left with a much closer fight between:

Converting 1080i 60fps to cinema-quality 1080p 24fps will be a real pain, whereas the 1080p 24fps All-I is ready-to-go.

Sorry, I was not clear with my statement. I was assuming 1080p 30 fps for some reason. The other fps will be output at their respective speeds. No need for converting to the different fps. That would be a real pain.
--
Aaron Thomson

aaront's gear list:aaront's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II +2 more
bob elkind
Like?
Not true: HDMI out @1080i only!

JimmyTwoShoes wrote:

I love photography and want to capture video using the D800 but it appears the HDMI outputs at (uncompressed) 1080i and not 1080p.

You are mistaken.

This is a huge blow for me as I have invested in an external field recorder specifically to capture 1080p @ 4:2:2 using that wonderful sensor.

Is the field recorder capable of direct HDMI input, both RGB and R/R-Y/B-Y ? If not, you might still have a problem.

Also, the D800 and D4 HDMI output format is likely "4:4:4" at the connector. Compression to 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 may take place inside the video engine, but your field recorder will see the same data rate for all three "colour channels" coming from the dSLR.

is there any evidence to the contrary?

Yes. Read the manual.

if it is the case, could it be updated in a future FW update?

You can rest easy.

-- hide signature --

Bob Elkind

Family, mostly sports. Seriously, folks, I'm not that good. If I can do it, you can do it!

Nikon D700 Canon EOS 500D Nikon D600 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
bob elkind
Like?
correcting mistakes

dholl wrote:

aaront wrote:

Hi Jimmy. Worry not. You will find that it outputs 1080i at 60fps.

The D4 (and D800) will output live video at 1080i only under the following conditions:

• The device attached to the HDMI port does not support the video format you specified.

AND

• The device attached to the HDMI port supports 1080i. Otherwise, 720P (or even 640P 4:3) might be output, if your recording or display device is especially limited.

1080i implies a 50/60Hz field rate and a 25/30Hz frame rate, with each frame composed of two interlaced fields. There are all manner of artifacts which might degrade the resulting video if conversion from interlaced to progressive format is required.

This is disappointing. One of the presumed advantages of the D800 over the 5DIII has just been rescinded.

You have been mis-led. Your disappointment has been purged.

We're now left with a much closer fight between:

Aside from the mistaken conclusion about the D4 or D800, you should note that the I-only video recorded by the 5D3 is no better video quality than the standard 5D3 video format -- which is compressed to a meager 4MBytes per second.

The only advantage of the I-only compression is that the editing software can splice at any video frame without having to reconstruct the first or last frame of the clip from P and B frames (which may be missing from the clip). The P and B frames are 'forward' (or predictive) and 'backward' data compression hints which span frames in both direction: forward and backward.

You have jumped to a second incorrect conclusion , that the D4 (or D800) HDMI output is the only means for recording video from these two bodies. Ignoring the incorrect HDMI output information, the Nikon bodies still record 1080P/24 compressed video on memory cards, just like the 5D3.

The Canon folks are still trembling with fear, so we can rest easy.
--
Bob Elkind

marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: correcting mistakes
In reply to bob elkind, Mar 17, 2012

bob elkind wrote:

dholl wrote:

aaront wrote:

Hi Jimmy. Worry not. You will find that it outputs 1080i at 60fps.

The D4 (and D800) will output live video at 1080i only under the following conditions:

• The device attached to the HDMI port does not support the video format you specified.

AND

• The device attached to the HDMI port supports 1080i. Otherwise, 720P (or even 640P 4:3) might be output, if your recording or display device is especially limited.

1080i implies a 50/60Hz field rate and a 25/30Hz frame rate, with each frame composed of two interlaced fields. There are all manner of artifacts which might degrade the resulting video if conversion from interlaced to progressive format is required.

This is disappointing. One of the presumed advantages of the D800 over the 5DIII has just been rescinded.

You have been mis-led. Your disappointment has been purged.

We're now left with a much closer fight between:

Aside from the mistaken conclusion about the D4 or D800, you should note that the I-only video recorded by the 5D3 is no better video quality than the standard 5D3 video format -- which is compressed to a meager 4MBytes per second.

The only advantage of the I-only compression is that the editing software can splice at any video frame without having to reconstruct the first or last frame of the clip from P and B frames (which may be missing from the clip). The P and B frames are 'forward' (or predictive) and 'backward' data compression hints which span frames in both direction: forward and backward.

You have jumped to a second incorrect conclusion , that the D4 (or D800) HDMI output is the only means for recording video from these two bodies. Ignoring the incorrect HDMI output information, the Nikon bodies still record 1080P/24 compressed video on memory cards, just like the 5D3.

The Canon folks are still trembling with fear, so we can rest easy.

Regarding the 5D3 "winning", and the supposed advantage of I-only over the 5D2, there is a growing concern, based on 5D3 sample videos, that the 5D3 video image is softer, lower resolution than the 5D2. It appears that Canon has indeed corrected the moire and aliasing problems that plagued the otherwise excellent 5D2, but in doing so they have compromised sharpness of the video image.

The slight softness of the 5D2 and 5D3 can be seen here in this comparison.

http://vimeo.com/38652476

So based on this, and on the really crisp IQ of the D800 in video samples like Joy Ride, http://vimeo.com/36305675 it doesn't look like Canon has won anything.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
dholl
Like?
uncompressed 1080i HDMI vs ALL-I 1080p

bob elkind wrote:

Another advantage is that it holds 12 times more data than standard compression. This should leave lots of headroom for post-processing.

Of course I haven't concluded that the HDMI is the "only means" to record video. But there's no arguing that Canon's ALL-I is a far superior video quality to Nikon's standard compression. However, an uncompressed 1080p would have clearly been superior to ALL-I.

Is uncompressed 1080i superior to 1080p All-I? This is the question which will remain open until production models have been studied.

If uncompressed 1080p HDMI genuinely isn't possible with the D800, then my allegiance switches back to the 5DIII. The workflow of using that 1080i will be horrendous. Most creatives would rather avoid that hassle and use the high-quality ALL-I 1080p.

dholl
Like?
both cameras have excellent video demos
In reply to marike6, Mar 17, 2012

marike6 wrote:

the really crisp IQ of the D800 in video samples like Joy Ride, http://vimeo.com/36305675

The Joyride video is truly excellent. But it's not technically better or worse than this one from the 5DIII:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrDHEi3z-sY

If you have these kind of production values, then both cameras are equally capable. But for most of us who will never have a 100-man team to make a short film, we require faster, more efficient workflow.

And this will be the 5DIII's advantage, especially knowing there is no 1080p HDMI output after all in the D800.

Dan DeLion
Contributing MemberPosts: 541
Like?
Running Scared

Looks like the Canon partisans are terrified. Why don't you fellows just wait for Canon to figure out a competitive product. Canon is only a couple of years behind.

dholl
Like?
Re: Running Scared
In reply to Dan DeLion, Mar 17, 2012

Dan DeLion wrote:

Looks like the Canon partisans are terrified. Why don't you fellows just wait for Canon to figure out a competitive product. Canon is only a couple of years behind.

I don't understand why so many of you resort to brand-obsession?

Canon partisans? Who and what are they? Terrified? Of what, a camera? Are you sane?

It's clear you are the hysterical partisan here.

The rest of us who will definitely buy one of the 5DIII or D800 will continue to fairly analyse the cameras until a winner is found.

SNRatio
Regular MemberPosts: 339
Like?
Re: Running Scared

dholl wrote:

Dan DeLion wrote:

I don't understand why so many of you resort to brand-obsession?

Canon partisans? Who and what are they? Terrified? Of what, a camera? Are you sane?

It's clear you are the hysterical partisan here.

The rest of us who will definitely buy one of the 5DIII or D800 will continue to fairly analyse the cameras until a winner is found.

If you look at the video history of the 5DII, you might conclude that the capabilities once again may turn out to be much of a moving target. And the whole notion of "finding a winner" to me has the ugly smell of potential partisanship that you seem to be against, at least in principle - and in which I totally agree with you.

Different concepts, different implementations, different updates. Good tools, but probably for differents tasks.

And I can really not see the sense in engaged discussions about something that everybody in a short while can try out and check for themselves. The OP had a sensible question to which Bob Elkind has so far provided the most well-researched answer. No reason to go out on a tangent about that, is it?

marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: uncompressed 1080i HDMI vs ALL-I 1080p

dholl wrote:

bob elkind wrote:

According to Nikon, the D800 like the D4 outputs 1080p uncompressed via HDMI.
There's a little more info here:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?269597-D4-uncompressed-hdmi/page3

Of course I haven't concluded that the HDMI is the "only means" to record video. But there's no arguing that Canon's ALL-I is a far superior video quality to Nikon's standard compression. However, an uncompressed 1080p would have clearly been superior to ALL-I.

Of course you can argue that the Nikon's standard compression is superior to Canon's All I-Frame if the 5D3 produces a softer image. There is a huge amount of discussion on Vimeo, CreativeCow, and DXVUser forums that it appears, based on the newest 5D3 videos, that the 5D3's video quality is cleaner, but much softer relative to the 5D2. Video test after video test of 5D3 shows this to be the case. And to say that 5D2 videographers hoping the the new 5D3 All I-Frame down-sampling algorithm seems to not to be the magic bullet many where hoping for as resolution and apparent sharpness seems to suffer.

The 5D2 as it was not true 1080p (more like 700 lines at most). Now that the 5D3 has shown better handling of moire/aliasing, but seemingly lower actual resolution and less acutance than the 5D2, to say that there is concern would be an understatement.

On the other hand, the D800 video image based on available samples seems as clean, as good in low light, and sharper.

As far as outputting interlaced vs progressive, Bob has explained the details, and the conclusion that the D800 outputs 1080i via HDMI like the 7D

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
dholl
Like?
Re: uncompressed 1080i HDMI vs ALL-I 1080p
In reply to marike6, Mar 17, 2012

marike6 wrote:

According to Nikon, the D800 like the D4 outputs 1080p uncompressed via HDMI.
There's a little more info here:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?269597-D4-uncompressed-hdmi/page3

It's not clear from that link.

I'll write Nikon Support and ask them to confirm. They already confirmed for me that the D800 is able to use all its expanded ISO values for video (something the 5DIII doesn't offer, meaning the cameras are tied at 25600 for maximum ISO in video-mode).

@everyone else, the thread doesn't end just because one poster writes in confirming that the output is indeed 1080i and can be (painfully) converted into 1080p with software. The 1080i limit has been contradicted by marike6's claim.

There is plainly much more to discuss still.

bob elkind
Like?
dholl, you are creating confusion

dholl wrote:

bob elkind wrote:

Another advantage is that it holds 12 times more data than standard compression. This should leave lots of headroom for post-processing.

You are confusing the issue, either intentionally or unintentionally. The Canon 5D3 User Manual makes no claims that image quality in ALL-I stream is superior to conventional IPB stream. The only claim which is made is that the ALL-I compression method is more suited for editing. See page 231 of the 5D3 manual.

If you have a basis for your vague claims, please state it clearly and with references.

Of course I haven't concluded that the HDMI is the "only means" to record video.

How should one interpret your statement:

This is your statement. Are you, or not, implying that 1080p video is not available from the D800?

But there's no arguing that Canon's ALL-I is a far superior video quality to Nikon's standard compression.

This is a completely baseless and incorrect assertion. If you have a basis for making this claim, please cite the basis clearly. If there was a basis for such a claim, don't you think Canon would mention this wonderful advantage in the 5D3 user manual?

However, an uncompressed 1080p would have clearly been superior to ALL-I.

Agreed. While the HDMI signal format is (itself) uncompressed, it remains to be seen if the video content out of the HDMI port is truly 'uncompressed' or merely an uncompressed representation of (somewhat) compressed content.

Now that the D800 is in customers' hands, comparisons and evaluations will no doubt be coming soon to a forum near you. Even if the D800 HDMI output is compressed, there will be keen forensic analysis to evaluate the extent of any compression which might be applied.

Is uncompressed 1080i superior to 1080p All-I? This is the question which will remain open until production models have been studied.

No, that's not the question for this thread. The question for this thread is: Does the D800 provide 1080P video output from the HDMI port. The answer is yes .

If you want to ask which is superior: 1080i or ALL-I, the answer is as follows:

• ALL-I means nothing more than a type of compression. It doesn't specify the extent of compression. On basic principles, ALL-I is not a term which is specific enough for comparisons.

• If you use ALL-I specifically as a reference to the compression scheme used in the Canon 5D3 camera, then a metric for video quality is available.

The Canon 5D3 IPB compression method compresses 1080P24 video to ~4MBytes/sec (user manual page 376). The video quality of the ALL-I compression is implied to be similar to the video quality of the IPB compression method (page 231).

The recorded video compression stream in the D800 is 3MBytes/second (D800 user manual page 70).

Nikon D800 compression is 3MB/sec, Canon 5D3 video quality is equivalent to compression to 4MB/sec. All else being equal, the higher bitrate of the Canon format suggests a higher level of video image quality (for video recorded to memory cards).

The question remains: what is the quality level of the unrecorded video output on the D800 HDMI port. The judgments should be appearing soon.

If uncompressed 1080p HDMI genuinely isn't possible with the D800, then my allegiance switches back to the 5DIII. The workflow of using that 1080i will be horrendous. Most creatives would rather avoid that hassle and use the high-quality ALL-I 1080p.

For the 3rd or 4th time in this thread, the premise for your conjecture is imagined. The D800 manual (page 258) clearly states that each of the video formats listed (page 70) is available at the HDMI output, including 1080P.
--
Bob Elkind

Dan DeLion
Contributing MemberPosts: 541
Like?
Still Sweating!

Dholl says: "Looks like Canon will win this particular fight after all."

I see, you're still still sweating bullets! Payback is sweet.

dholl
Like?
Re: dholl, you are creating confusion

I'm not intentionally creating confusion, bob...that would be a silly way to spend time.

I appreciate your helpful reply, especially this bit:

bob elkind wrote:

The D800 manual (page 258) clearly states that each of the video formats listed > (page 70) is available at the HDMI output, including 1080P.

Although it doesn't actually state "1080p"...so I will write Nikon Support just to confirm that for us. I personally wouldn't want to have to deal with 1080i.

Regarding why ALL-I is "far superior", it's because exactly as Canon states and as I stated earlier in the thread it allows for significantly more headroom during post-processing than standard compression.

But even as a current 5DII user, I have no prior loyalties or preferences between each brand. I just want to upgrade to a significantly better camera, and my 5DII is the best I've ever used, so it will take some doing.

I made this thread listing all the extra features the D800 offers over the 5DIII:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1021&message=40920018

in theory, the D800 (as long as the 1080p HDMI holds true) looks like being a worthy upgrade. The 5DIII too, but I'd be in less of a rush to get it.

Anyway, as many of us have said in these threads, we can only theorise based on spec-sheets and a couple of samples...we're all itching for full reviews and real-world user feedback

dholl
Like?
Re: Still Sweating!
In reply to Dan DeLion, Mar 17, 2012

Dan DeLion wrote:

Dholl says: "Looks like Canon will win this particular fight after all."

I see, you're still still sweating bullets! Payback is sweet.

Eh? What on earth are you on about?

Seriously, some people seem to think Canon vs Nikon is a football game and we all have to be on one side.

When I say "win this particular fight" I only mean it in the sense of which camera I will choose to upgrade from my 5DII. I see such use of language gets some of you all excited, thinking you're in a war or something.

Best to avoid fight metaphors from now on, I think.

JimmyTwoShoes
Forum MemberPosts: 94Gear list
Like?
Re: dholl, you are creating confusion

Guys, Thank you so much for the info. I was racking my head with worry, especially as I've dropped £700 on an Atomos Ninja. I can sleep easier now. Much appreciated.

As for the Canon V Nikon thing. I opted for the D800 because I didn't want any compression whatsoever; I believe that the D800 uncompressed output is around the 180 mb/s mark - the atomos can record up 220 mb/s @ 4:2:2. (I believe Nikon will do about 24 mb/s with compression at their best quality).

I dont want to weigh in on a flame war but I do believe that the uncompressed output will be a distinct advantage to Nikon. As for the huge data output, most field recorders use standard 2.5" HDDs that are as cheap as chips (from Harrods of course ). Canon opened up a nice niche area with the 5D2 video capabilities and I truly believe that Nikon will take that one step further.

Once again, many thanks for the great input.

JimmyTwoShoes's gear list:JimmyTwoShoes's gear list
Nikon D40X Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads