not very happy with Nikon customer's support

Started Mar 16, 2012 | Discussions
Berghof
Senior MemberPosts: 1,144
Like?
not very happy with Nikon customer's support
Mar 16, 2012

It took about three months and 5 different Nikon "experts" [many hours on the phone] and finally today I was given an explanation why Capture NX [which I purchased some 4 years ago ] won't work on my new imac.The whole three months I was being advised how to uninstall and reinstall and use this number key and another number key and then asked to while and be patient before a new technician will create a new working key and yes today a fellow named Raphael after some investigation simply told me "sorry, the older version of Capture NX won't work on your imac and you have to buy new version of NX2.You know what I would show Nikon people if they could see my hand. I just thanked him instead for a fabulous service and help and hanged my phone. I won't spend a penny for Nikon product unless I really really have to.I'm not sure I would get much better treatment from any other corporation , now days they all act with too much arrogance.And that's my rant for the day.
--
Berghof G.C.

Itsa Dry Heat
Regular MemberPosts: 192
Like?
Re: not very happy with Nikon customer's support
In reply to Berghof, Mar 17, 2012

Berghof wrote:

It took about three months and 5 different Nikon "experts" [many hours on the phone] and finally today I was given an explanation why Capture NX [which I purchased some 4 years ago ] won't work on my new imac.The whole three months I was being advised how to uninstall and reinstall and use this number key and another number key and then asked to while and be patient before a new technician will create a new working key and yes today a fellow named Raphael after some investigation simply told me "sorry, the older version of Capture NX won't work on your imac and you have to buy new version of NX2.You know what I would show Nikon people if they could see my hand. I just thanked him instead for a fabulous service and help and hanged my phone. I won't spend a penny for Nikon product unless I really really have to.I'm not sure I would get much better treatment from any other corporation , now days they all act with too much arrogance.And that's my rant for the day.

The software you purchased four years ago worked on the Operating System it was designed for way back when. I don't know how many versions of NX came out within the last four years, but how many should the developers be responsible for?

Before purchasing your new imac, did you first look at the software requirements to see if NX was compatible with the Operating System?

Paying software developers is expensive and they can only go back so many versions. I know it sucks, but they have to draw the line somewhere.

I do agree with your anger towards their customer service people for not knowing that NX is not compatible with the newer Operating System is just not good customer service.

-- hide signature --

Berghof G.C.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alphoid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,473
Like?
If it makes you feel better...

... everyone else has worse customer service. Nikon's renowned for (comparatively) good service. Pros use Canon and Nikon largely due to the service. Sony's a bunch of crooks by comparison.

Kodak, actually, was very bad. Probably part of the reason it went out of business.

Karl H. Timmerman M.A.J.D.
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,053
Like?
Re: If it makes you feel better...
In reply to Alphoid, Mar 17, 2012

Alphoid wrote:

... everyone else has worse customer service. Nikon's renowned for (comparatively) good service. Pros use Canon and Nikon largely due to the service. Sony's a bunch of crooks by comparison.

"In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king". Nikon's service IS better than others I have dealt with, (sad, because it still sucks compared to other industries). Kodak failed because it's upper management never understood the impact of digital imaging, even though they held cornerstone patents and failed to aggressively enforce/license them. The folks that purchace the patents will. Sony? Produces some of the most advanced and technologically superior electronics in the world, bar none. The NEX 7, (I have one), is a technological marvel. Their marketing, sales and service branches/departments are on par with a 3 person tech support shop in Bangladesh: totally incompetent. Example? They produce a world class body, (the NEX 7), and two lenses, (one they produce, the 50mm, F1.8 OSS and the other a Zeiss 24mm, F1.8), which remotely come close to matching the body's capabilities. The Zeiss peddles for $1K and is worth EVERY penny, and the S50, which Sony peddles for $298.50 and is worth 3 times that. Point being? The Sony Camera branch/department must be run by folks who were promoted from their "Walkman" branch. Incompetent.
KarlT
--
Karl H.Timmerman M.A.J.D.
BLOG: http://www.karltimmerman.com/Ramblings/
'The best part of taking the moral highground ...... is the view'.

PrasadIndi
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?

Hello,

I can't comment on Nikon's service here. but you said your software is 4 years old. And it's not working on your 'New' imac....

Well many outdated software will not work on newer operating systems/hardware. Like you can't expect a package developed for Windows'98 to run on Windows 7, can you? I don't see the software manufacturer at fault here. In fact, they tried best to make it work. You were correct in thanking them.

Berghof wrote:

--
Berghof G.C.

PrasadIndi's gear list:PrasadIndi's gear list
Nikon D3100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Sante Patate
Senior MemberPosts: 3,731
Like?
And, vice versa, Lightroom 4 ...
In reply to PrasadIndi, Mar 17, 2012

.. will not work on a Mac with an OS older than 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard with updates).

ZorSy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,049Gear list
Like?

Berghof wrote:

--
Berghof G.C.

I'm running Win XP on one and Win2000 on another laptop as my dye-sub printers had no drivers written since (Tektronix Phaser 450 and 480X). SO the same with some other hardware and software for scanner, Eye1 profiler - but I don't blame manufacturer.. Tek is long time gone, might be obsolete but at least it runs fine - and saved me some money too. My NX2 runs fine on XP and I KNOW if I want 64 bit WIn7 I have to pay - which I'm not going to do, my choice. But, I'm a PC guy and can choose what OS to use. In my case, Win7, XP, ME... one happy home network which works!

In your case - you really,really have to spend money on NX2 and other companies are no different. Things easily go obsolete these days....

ZorSy's gear list:ZorSy's gear list
Nikon D7100
Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?
In reply to Itsa Dry Heat, Mar 17, 2012

Paying software developers is expensive

I'm a software developer.

Paying bad software developers is expensive. Paying good ones pays for itself.

All camera companies have appallingly poor attitude to software, despite the fact it's essential for making the most of their products. Their attitude to firmware development is little better. End users seem to be the last people the code is aimed at, much less tested with. It seems to be "take it or leave it".

Nikon's Capture NX has, from what I've read on the Digital Darkroom forum here, about the worst track record of any image processing software.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,102Gear list
Like?
Two separate issues

Berghof wrote:

Whether it's good or bad, it's typical that old software won't work on new systems and new software won't work on old systems. But it's completely unconscionable for anyone at Nikon service not to know immediately what versions work on what systems; there should be a screen that lists all that.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Mako2011
Forum ProPosts: 15,594
Like?
Misplaced

Berghof wrote:

It took about three months and 5 different Nikon "experts" [many hours on the phone] and finally today I was given an explanation why Capture NX [which I purchased some 4 years ago ] won't work on my new imac.

You seem to have made the classic mistake of calling the wrong company. You should have called Apple customer service and demanded they stop making new computer OS's that won't run software that's only a few years old. CaptureNX and CaptureNX2 both run on my Win7 machine.

Father Anderson
Contributing MemberPosts: 881Gear list
Like?
In reply to Deleted1929, Mar 18, 2012

sjgcit wrote:

Paying software developers is expensive

I'm a software developer.

Paying bad software developers is expensive. Paying good ones pays for itself.

All camera companies have appallingly poor attitude to software, despite the fact it's essential for making the most of their products. Their attitude to firmware development is little better. End users seem to be the last people the code is aimed at, much less tested with. It seems to be "take it or leave it".

Nikon's Capture NX has, from what I've read on the Digital Darkroom forum here, about the worst track record of any image processing software.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

.....................................................................................

I really enjoy using some of the NIK software...at my buddy s house! But for me...I'll do without simply because of the update problem !

The last time they made new discs was over 4-years ago! They expect the Customer to update the last four years worth instead of occasionally making a few new discs...for $599!

Give me a break, I mean give us a minimum of Customer Service !

Father Anderson's gear list:Father Anderson's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro +2 more
PrasadIndi
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?
In reply to Berghof, Mar 19, 2012

We just have another hater here. Started a subject and just vanished.

PrasadIndi's gear list:PrasadIndi's gear list
Nikon D3100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
snake_b
Senior MemberPosts: 4,680
Like?
In reply to PrasadIndi, Mar 19, 2012

Well, if one purchased the program for Windows from 4 years ago, it would still work on the current windows.

Just sayin'.

Berghof
Like?
another hater?

Why do you use such harsh words - hater ? Because you can hide behind the http://www? I was busy if you need to know and I don't hate anybody I just don't like spending 160$ and 4 years later the thing doesn't work.I guess I'm just an old fashioned guy but I am no hater.
--
Berghof G.C.

Berghof
Like?
thank you all for your honest opinion
-- hide signature --

Berghof G.C.

Mako2011
Like?
Not a Nikon issue

Berghof wrote:

Why do you use such harsh words - hater ? Because you can hide behind the http://www? I was busy if you need to know and I don't hate anybody I just don't like spending 160$ and 4 years later the thing doesn't work.I guess I'm just an old fashioned guy but I am no hater.

I think the problem was you placed blame on the wrong company. The software still works fine on my updated Win7 machine but Apple chose to not insure it's latest OS would be backwards compatible. Nikon could fix the problem but would have to pay Apple to do so. Simply no incentive for that.

jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 10,972Gear list
Like?
Re: thank you all for your honest opinion

Nikon won't answer me either..and having shot wedds for decades with Canon, it is very frustrating that Nikon cannot, will not, fix the forced flash override the body does to the flash. Unlike Canon, where the flash is separate from the body in controls, and it's easy to do 2/3 ambient, 1/3 flash. But not Nikon...they won't let me do it. sad. And other posters on here have , well some of them, been acting like children.

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony RX100 G1 X II Canon EOS 70D
Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?

There is no obligation on someone to comment on responses to a thread they start. I think you should not label people just for that reason.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

Mako2011
Like?
You still can
In reply to jonrobertp, Mar 19, 2012

jonrobertp wrote:

Nikon won't answer me either..and having shot wedds for decades with Canon, it is very frustrating that Nikon cannot, will not, fix the forced flash override the body does to the flash. Unlike Canon, where the flash is separate from the body in controls, and it's easy to do 2/3 ambient, 1/3 flash. But not Nikon...they won't let me do it. sad. And other posters on here have , well some of them, been acting like children.

Easy to do it on Nikon. Just meter the scene in manual exposure mode and go +2/3 with aperture, shutter, or both. Then set +1/3 EC. That will not affect ambient so you are still at +2/3, but it will take flash to +1/3 as EC still affects flash comp in manual exposure mode.

jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 10,972Gear list
Like?
Re: You still can
In reply to Mako2011, Mar 20, 2012
-- hide signature --

cool...thx guy. will try that !! At least one decent Nik guy. All right then.

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony RX100 G1 X II Canon EOS 70D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads