The savings from shooting digital will be lost using a quality printer

Started Mar 15, 2012 | Discussions
PHOTOJOE55
Regular MemberPosts: 370Gear list
Like?
The savings from shooting digital will be lost using a quality printer
Mar 15, 2012

The money we were saving by shooting digital, with a home quality printer are completely lost if we make good quality prints at home. It sounds like it's good to have an everyday printer, and a good quality printer for the fewer better photographs. But there's the problem of the ink drying up if you don't use it enough.

HP Claimed that their cartridges did not use all of the ink, because the pictures that were printed with the last 1/4 of the ink, were not meeting the level of quality that their printers were capable of. I would rather be the judge of that because if they didn't look good enough, we only lost the paper.

I got spoiled with the co. that I work for, they did the prints we designated.

I keep thinking about one of Kodaks last commercials (& on the box) that Kodak claimed their printers are the lowest cost to operate. I don't know what model, but I did read that on a Kodak Printer box.

PHOTOJOE55's gear list:PHOTOJOE55's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P5000 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D40 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 +12 more
Phil Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 2,535Gear list
Like?
Not for me.
In reply to PHOTOJOE55, Mar 15, 2012

I find the cost of printing at home to be lower with digital because I rarely need to make test prints. With film, test prints were a major expense, especially trying to get the color just right without the immediate feedback from a computer display.

Disregarding test prints, printing with Epson OEM ink costs about the same as a wet print. And the environmental cost is probably less without the chemicals being flushed down the drain.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Vernon D Rainwater
Forum ProPosts: 11,701
Like?
Re: The savings from shooting digital will be lost using a quality printer
In reply to PHOTOJOE55, Mar 15, 2012

PHOTOJOE55 wrote:

The money we were saving by shooting digital, with a home quality printer are completely lost if we make good quality prints at home. It sounds like it's good to have an everyday printer, and a good quality printer for the fewer better photographs. But there's the problem of the ink drying up if you don't use it enough.

HP Claimed that their cartridges did not use all of the ink, because the pictures that were printed with the last 1/4 of the ink, were not meeting the level of quality that their printers were capable of. I would rather be the judge of that because if they didn't look good enough, we only lost the paper.

I got spoiled with the co. that I work for, they did the prints we designated.

I keep thinking about one of Kodaks last commercials (& on the box) that Kodak claimed their printers are the lowest cost to operate. I don't know what model, but I did read that on a Kodak Printer box.

That is a matter of opinion. My opinion is different than the information above.

Of course, that is totally subjective and the choice is up to the individual. I like to have complete quality control for my Photos. That may be why I have (and use) 4 different Epson Photo Printers
--
Vernon...

kenwj
Contributing MemberPosts: 507Gear list
Like?
Re: Not for me.
In reply to Phil Hill, Mar 15, 2012

I agree. Plus you can control the quality of your prints. I have a Canon Pro 9500 and I have let it sit for up to a month and a half without printing and I never clogged it or dried the ink.

kenwj's gear list:kenwj's gear list
Nikon D800
Steve Ives
Senior MemberPosts: 1,283
Like?
I didn't realise...
In reply to Vernon D Rainwater, Mar 15, 2012

..that we shot digital just to save money.

Must sell my Epson 7800, as those 36"x24" prints are expensive. I'll stick with 6"x4".

Errm, excep for a given paper size, the 7800 is cheaper to run than a small printer due to the cost of the ink being less.

Steve

PHOTOJOE55
Like?
In reply to Vernon D Rainwater, Mar 20, 2012

Vernon, Are your four printers using the same number ink cartridges? How long before the ink dries up on yours? HP is selling a lot of ink. At Staples office center, they give you back $3.00 for each used cartridge, but the 4 inks that I use come to just over $100.00

I'm using an HP 7960 it was $200.00 about 6 or 7 years ago HP considered it a very good printer.It uses 56, 57, 58 & 59 The 56/59 Slot was for better B&W I know it's time to replace it, I just don't know what to buy. The new Canon uses 9 or 10 and four are for B&W. But for a $1,000.00 printer, I have to be real sure!

What printer would you suggest? For a good printer, I'm trying to get something for about $750.00 To buy a cheaper printer, you end up spending more for ink. Do you think I'm asking too much for a printer in that range? Can you give me your input? It sounds like you would be someone to ask. I appreciate any help you can give me. Thank You very much!

Nikon Coolpix P5000 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D40 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 +12 more
PHOTOJOE55
Like?
In reply to PHOTOJOE55, Mar 20, 2012

Check that, The Canon Pro 1 printer uses 12 cartridges. That sounds like the ink would cost more than my printer. It is designated a Pro Printer. ... Joe

jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 3,773
Like?
In reply to PHOTOJOE55, Mar 20, 2012

Which Staples is that. All my local ones credit you $2 per empty not $3.

PHOTOJOE55
Like?
In reply to jtoolman, Mar 20, 2012

I'M in N.Y. all staples stores here. Do you have their discount card/key tag? they scan it at the register & you get discount on certain items, also email coupons. the one I just got is $10.00 off on $25.00 purchase and 40% off Avery labels it came in the mail, it's a very thick 2 card set. Also online rebates, no losing it in the mail. and always $3.00 on empties

You wouldn't believe this one, discontinued on clearance, a Canon Rebel starter pack, a bag I was ready to pay full price for, ballistic nylon, 18" wide, imprinted inside Canon, Rebel in gold on the front, a canon 52mm uv filter, a canon battery (worthless to me) but still, the whole pack in the box reg. price $99.95 I paid $10.95 I love that case. It makes the same size Nikon case look like a rag doll. I also got Vivitar 2 filter kit, Cir. Polarizer and a UV filter 52MM also $10.95 I almost always find good stuff on the clearance table. The discontinued items are like radio shack, they drop the price 10% a week until it bottoms out. Sign up for their card and always scan it, you will get coupons and early offers. ... Joe Prete

Steve Ives
Like?
In reply to PHOTOJOE55, Mar 21, 2012

Joa,

How about a good used Epson R400 or (3800 for A2 prints) with some high-qualitiy 3rd party ink? (or indeed any good previous-generation pro printer).

Personally I like matte fine-art paper, and a nice print from a good printer simply blows away any glossy print from a lab.

My current fav paper is Hahnemuhle's Photo Rag Satin - it's a matte paper but where hte ink is laid down you get a slight satin effect. works very nice with the matte ink in my printer (I can't load the matte black and the glossy black ink at the same time, so have stuck with the matte).

Steve

Vernon D Rainwater
Forum ProPosts: 11,701
Like?
In reply to PHOTOJOE55, Mar 21, 2012

PHOTOJOE55 wrote:

Vernon, Are your four printers using the same number ink cartridges? How long before the ink dries up on yours? HP is selling a lot of ink. At Staples office center, they give you back $3.00 for each used cartridge, but the 4 inks that I use come to just over $100.00

No, there are different number of ink cartridges and different ink types for the different models of my Epson Printers which are: 2200 (age 8 years), two R800 (age 4 years for each) , and 3880 (15 Months) . I did also have a C80 (age 9 years) that recently had a Master Circuit Board to go bad so it is not usable.

I have never had any of my inks to dry up. Also, the suggested/recommended period provided by Epson is NOT logical based on my usage. I have never had even one ink cartridge to go bad or be bad due to age. In fact, I still have (and occasionally use) the Photo Black Cartridge that was shipped same date as my 2200 and it continues to print same as when first used 8 years ago.

I have not replaced any cartridges for the 3800. I bought Epson OEM inks form Atlex.com for several years. However, for the 3 original printers, I have been using Bulk inks now for close to 4 years. I reload empty OEM Cartridges for the 2200 and one of the R800. The other R800 is equipped with a CISS. I bought the CISS (and all my Bulk inks) from Inkjetcarts. I have not had to create printer profiles for my Epson Papers and these printers and there is no apparent difference for same photos printed with OEM inks and with the Bulk inks.

I'm using an HP 7960 it was $200.00 about 6 or 7 years ago HP considered it a very good printer.It uses 56, 57, 58 & 59 The 56/59 Slot was for better B&W I know it's time to replace it, I just don't know what to buy. The new Canon uses 9 or 10 and four are for B&W. But for a $1,000.00 printer, I have to be real sure!

I have never used HP or Canon Photo Printers. I use HP B/W Laser printer for normal office type printing.

What printer would you suggest? For a good printer, I'm trying to get something for about $750.00 To buy a cheaper printer, you end up spending more for ink. Do you think I'm asking too much for a printer in that range? Can you give me your input? It sounds like you would be someone to ask. I appreciate any help you can give me. Thank You very much!

I am NOT fully knowledgeable regarding the latest Printer Models for any of the Brands. However, as you would have guessed, I prefer the Epson Photo Printers. If I had ever used a Canon that gave good results and service -- I would lean toward Canon.

I read good comments regarding the Epson 3000 but have never used or even looked at one. My current preference would be the Epson 3880. I did a lot of research before getting my 3880 and I have never had even ONE issue and it produces Excellent Photos. Including the $300 Rebate (at that time), I paid less than $825 shipped to my Home. The 3880 is indeed an Excellent printer.

NOTE: Sorry for the delay in my reply. I got involved with restoring a very old Family Photograph that took my available time yesterday and just now getting back to Forum Replies.
--
Vernon...

PHOTOJOE55
Like?
In reply to Vernon D Rainwater, Mar 24, 2012

Vernon, It sounds like you started with higher grade printers, and it paid off in the long run. I'm glad I asked, I'll do my homework this time and check the other brands. Also, an after market ink supplier, and I'll get away from HP all together. I have their 5500 for everyday printing letters and written material, so I used plenty of the 56 black.

I see Staples and Office Max are both selling "House" brand now too. And if they're buying the dry ones back for $3.00 each, they must be rebuilding and not just recycling.

Steve, thanks for your input also, I never considered buying a used printer. Maybe from someone upgrading from the same brand. It makes sense, I bought a used Buick from a Buick dealer. If it was traded in at two or three years to the same dealer, they must have been satisfied, I've been doing that for many years.

I've been giving my better work to a woman who does it for several people right out of her house. I try not to need post production, but when I do she does that also. She's got good eyes and patience too.

I thank you both very much, I know what I have to do now.

irvweiner
Contributing MemberPosts: 705
Like?
In reply to PHOTOJOE55, Mar 25, 2012

Don't waste your time!!! You indicate a budget of $750, track down a 3880 with the $300 rebate, total should be $800+. This a pigment (think 'waterproof' no fade) printer that will print up to 17x37 in of very hi quality prints. This is a superb printer!!

A reliable 3880 refillable system (I use) is from IJC, your refills per 80 ml cart is ~$9, carts are extra. Epson 80 ml carts ~$55.

With regards to your HP5500, look at inkjetcarts: http://store.inkjetcarts.us/hp-compatible-prefilled-cartridges-p4539.aspx

$88 per refilled cart of 680 ml.

PHOTOJOE55
Like?
In reply to irvweiner, Mar 29, 2012

Irvweiner,

I'm glad I checked back tonight. I wasn't finding anything used that was still in very good condition. It seems like they are good and people don't want to let go of good used one. I can't blame them.

If there's a $300.00 rebate, there is no doubt. I will invest in the new one, I'm sure with so many of you recommending it, it has to be right. Besides, I will know that everything is working right and I can have an owners manual to read, and Tech support if I need it

It will be worth the money because I take good care of my gear. And thank you for the inkjet cart information. I can get the full use of the 56/59 for black on the 5550.
It will be nice to start out with a good machine.

And thank you all for your input, I'm sure of my direction now. I could read all the reviews and comments, but nothing is as good as real user's advice. Thank you all very much!

Steve Ives
Like?
In reply to Steve Ives, Mar 29, 2012

That should have read 'Epson R2400', not R400.

although once you take the cost of the included ink into account, the 3800 used to be cheaper than the R2400 with cheaper running costs from day one.

Regards,

Steve

Steve Ives
Like?
In reply to PHOTOJOE55, Mar 29, 2012

Joe,

Good luck. I propbably would have eventually gone for the 3800 myself after going through the usual A4 -> A3 route with various epson's and then the 2100 (2200 in the US) and then the R2400 except that a good 7800 came my way :-).

Nice prints are addictive, and you then want bigger, but 24" will do me for now as I don't think I could frame anything bigger (do my own framing) and handling sheets of glass that size get me nervous...

Steve

PHOTOJOE55
Like?
In reply to Steve Ives, Mar 29, 2012

Steve, It's a step up price wise, but I think it puts me in the right range. I should have done this long ago. Thank You

ABA DABA
Senior MemberPosts: 2,921
Like?
In reply to PHOTOJOE55, Mar 30, 2012

Amazon 3880 stylus pro has a 300 mail in rebate thru their suppliers
--
ABA DABA

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads