only the remote flash

Started Mar 14, 2012 | Discussions
ocean76
Regular MemberPosts: 234
Like?
only the remote flash
Mar 14, 2012

Hi,

When I use sb600 as a remote flash with my nikon d7000, is there a way to disable the on camera flash (popup flash) but use just the remote sb600?

I dont want my camera's popup flash to flash but just the remote sb600 to flash in solo?
How can I do that with my d7000?
Thx

Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
nfpotter
Senior MemberPosts: 4,072
Like?
Re: only the remote flash
In reply to ocean76, Mar 14, 2012

ocean76 wrote:

Hi,

When I use sb600 as a remote flash with my nikon d7000, is there a way to disable the on camera flash (popup flash) but use just the remote sb600?

I dont want my camera's popup flash to flash but just the remote sb600 to flash in solo?
How can I do that with my d7000?
Thx

In the menus, go to Custom Settings> e3 (Flash Cntrl for Built in Flash). Set it for Commander Mode, then under Built In Flash, press up or down on the multi-selector to change it from "TTL" to "---".

Manual pages 223-225.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sillyconguru
Senior MemberPosts: 2,967Gear list
Like?
In reply to nfpotter, Mar 14, 2012

nfpotter wrote:

In the menus, go to Custom Settings> e3 (Flash Cntrl for Built in Flash). Set it for Commander Mode, then under Built In Flash, press up or down on the multi-selector to change it from "TTL" to "---".

Manual pages 223-225.

As an addendum to this...

The built-in flash will still fire, it just won't contribute much to the overall exposure; it has to do this in order to control the slave unit.

sillyconguru's gear list:sillyconguru's gear list
Casio QV-5500SX Pentax Optio I-10 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon ELPH 100 HS Nikon D40 +47 more
Randy Z
Senior MemberPosts: 2,521
Like?
Just to keep this from becoming another 1,000 post thread on the same subject . . .
In reply to nfpotter, Mar 14, 2012

Yes, the popup will STILL flash - it has to flash to trigger the remote. Even at "--" there will still be some visible light, reflection and/or catchlight. I block it with a small piece of card stock to deflect it upwards so it can still trigger the remote. You can also buy an accessory that blocks the visible light and lets the IR through to trigger the flash.

-- hide signature --

Z-Man

Billy Lee
Regular MemberPosts: 244
Like?
In reply to ocean76, Mar 15, 2012

After changing the Built In Flash from "TTL" to "---". I slide my Flash Blocker onto the Pop Up Flash, which I made from a black plastic 35mm film canister. I cut the bottom off and cut a slit, to enable me to slide it onto the Built In Flash. I made it for a Sony F828 years ago, but it works with any Pop Up Flash.

-- hide signature --

BillyL

ocean76
Regular MemberPosts: 234
Like?
In reply to Billy Lee, Mar 15, 2012

Billy Lee wrote:

After changing the Built In Flash from "TTL" to "---". I slide my Flash Blocker onto the Pop Up Flash, which I made from a black plastic 35mm film canister. I cut the bottom off and cut a slit, to enable me to slide it onto the Built In Flash. I made it for a Sony F828 years ago, but it works with any Pop Up Flash.

very clever Billy, I'll try that also.

thank you all for your replies..

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads