Using a graphics tablet & pen when editing?

Started Mar 14, 2012 | Discussions
Hdub
Forum MemberPosts: 63
Like?
Using a graphics tablet & pen when editing?
Mar 14, 2012

Just curious if anyone uses one during thier editing? I can definitely see how they would make certain things much easier. Trying to use the lasso with a mouse is a pain. I'm no pro photog, editor, or artist, (I'm just an IT guy!!) but I'm thinking about picking one up.

Someone willing to chime in with recommendations or input on what/when/how you use it during your work?

Thanks!

mujana
Senior MemberPosts: 2,920Gear list
Like?
Re: Using a graphics tablet & pen when editing?
In reply to Hdub, Mar 14, 2012

I'm using the Wacom Intuos 4 together with my mouse in Lightroom; mouse for scrolling (in left hand), and pen for working on my pics (in right hand). Sometimes only the pen/Intuos. Works great! More precise and more sensitive (tablet + pen).

I suggest you search for more results on this forum (there are many posts about this subject).
Good luck!

mujana's gear list:mujana's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Toermalijn
Forum ProPosts: 12,545Gear list
Like?

I use the pen and tablet for all kinds of retouch/design stuff.
Extraction, painting/smudging etc. is ideal for tablet.

The standard pen is also good for operating system navigation.

WineO
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,310
Like?

For close work and drawing you can't beat a pen and tablet. I am sure that the artists amongst us will say they are indispensable.
Claude

Pixel Poetry
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,579Gear list
Like?

Good timing, the Intuos 5 just came out and it has some new features, go to the wacom home page for more info.

I do a lot of retouching and have been using a very old graphite tablet, I don't think I could do my job with out it.

Pixel Poetry's gear list:Pixel Poetry's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
PaulinDE
Regular MemberPosts: 191
Like?

Never edit without one. Using an older Wacom 3.

bunyarra
Contributing MemberPosts: 748
Like?

Hdub wrote:

Just curious if anyone uses one during thier editing? Someone willing to chime in with recommendations or input on what/when/how you use it during your work?

Converted to an Intuos 4 some 3 months ago and wished I had years before. Stopped RSI wrist pains, allowed longer editing sessions and made the whole process so much easier.

For example, the last shoot had images with loads of litter around a car park. Spot healing that with a mouse would have, quite literally, been a major pain. 300 edits later using the tablet and all done - faster and easier than a mouse.

Cannot recommend one enough. Don't think you need a large tablet either. After loads of research, most posters in forums recommended the smaller tablet. Despite 2 x 24" monitors, i have found it a perfect size. the larger surface areas mean you have to move your whole arm around more - slows you down and the marginal incresae in accuracy is not really important for photo editing - just zoom closer.

-- hide signature --
Ronny Harris
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,703
Like?

What mouse? I don't use one anymore. Don't even think I would know how to use it. I would suggest that you get an Intuos 5 small. Stick your mouse off to the side and don't look back.

Ronny

sanmaj
Regular MemberPosts: 394
Like?
Re: Try it, You'll never regret it!!!

I second and third what everyone has already said!! I started using the Intuit4 about a year ago and now use a pen exclusively. For image editing there is nothing else like it. I've become so accustomed to it now that I use it for everything. The level of precision that you can achieve is phenomenal. Give it a try. It is well worth the investment.

Ronny Harris
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,703
Like?
In reply to Ronny Harris, Mar 14, 2012

I probably should withdraw my suggestion. I went back through some reviews posted since my first research on the Intuos 5 and apparently people are reporting some driver problems. In that case, I would suggest an Intuos 4 small until they get all the bugs worked out. You should get a great price on the 4. Maybe someone with one of the new Intuos 5's will share their experience with us. I have two Intuos 3's and have had to replace the USB cables on both because of breakage but the Intuos 4 solved that issue by going to a plugin cable.

Ronny

limeyg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,879
Like?
In reply to Ronny Harris, Mar 14, 2012

As an artist i certainly could not carry out my work with a mouse and have been using a tablet for painting and retouching for some years now.

Yezariael
Contributing MemberPosts: 574Gear list
Like?
In reply to limeyg, Mar 14, 2012

I just ordered the pen&touch! always thought of it, your thread now gave me the last kick...

Yezariael's gear list:Yezariael's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony 35mm F1.4 G +7 more
emufdi
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?

I bought a Bamboo capture about one week ago and I enjoying the extra precision. The 6x4 size is more than big enough on my 24-inch, and I actually use only about 60% of the usable area. I use the tablet with my keyboard and mouse. While it may be a while before I use the pressure sensitivity I find the control the pen offers really helpful. Unless you plan to use the tablet in place of the mouse I wouldn't pony up for the Intuos line.

foresaa
Senior MemberPosts: 1,721
Like?
In reply to WineO, Mar 14, 2012

Yes we would

WineO wrote:

For close work and drawing you can't beat a pen and tablet. I am sure that the artists amongst us will say they are indispensable.
Claude

-- hide signature --

Andy
Grey haired & Scottish
..and proud of both!
http://andelimages.com

Hdub
Forum MemberPosts: 63
Like?
In reply to foresaa, Mar 15, 2012

Great replies everyone. Thank you very much!

I've decided to get a pen/tablet BUT first I'm going to upgrade from CS3 to CS5, (there will be another thread posted about this shortly).

Thanks again!!

Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,013Gear list
Like?
In reply to bunyarra, Mar 15, 2012

bunyarra wrote:

Hdub wrote:

Don't think you need a large tablet either. After loads of research, most posters in forums recommended the smaller tablet. Despite 2 x 24" monitors, i have found it a perfect size. the larger surface areas mean you have to move your whole arm around more - slows you down and the marginal incresae in accuracy is not really important for photo editing - just zoom closer.

-- hide signature --

I'll second that.

If you have an art background and are used to drawing and painting on a full sized sheet of paper or canvas then you might like the larger tablet. Most people are only used to writing and sketching using wrist and finger movements only. The smaller tablet is the one for them.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
bunyarra
Contributing MemberPosts: 748
Like?
In reply to Hdub, Mar 15, 2012

Hdub wrote:

Great replies everyone. Thank you very much!

I've decided to get a pen/tablet BUT first I'm going to upgrade from CS3 to CS5, (there will be another thread posted about this shortly).

Might be best to go from 3 to 6 as it is due fairly soon.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads