Poll: which FF

Started Mar 13, 2012 | Discussions
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 29,209
Like?
Poll: which FF
Mar 13, 2012

There are lots of threads discussing the merits of the 1D X, 5D III and D800. This thread isn't about which you want, or which is best - it's trying to discover which product options might play best for Canon. So, three questions.

1. Canon's new FF range is 1D X and 5DIII. Do you intend buying either of these (or both or more than one)? Please be honest, window shopping doesn't count.

2. If Canon introduced a 1Ds X, as the 1D X but with FF sensor made using the 60D pixel (45MP), 6FPS, for a list price of $8000, would you buy this? If so, and you had intended buying a 1D X or 5DIII, would you buy the 1Ds X instead or as well?

3. If Canon introduced a 3D, 5DIII with the 45MP sensor above, 3 FPS, otherwise as 5DIII, for a list price of $3500, would you buy this? If so, and you had intended buying a 1D X, 1Ds X or 5DIII, would you buy the 3D instead or as well?
--
Bob

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS-1Ds Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mattr
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,443
Like?
Re: Poll: which FF
In reply to bobn2, Mar 13, 2012

bobn2 wrote:

1. Canon's new FF range is 1D X and 5DIII. Do you intend buying either of these (or both or more than one)? Please be honest, window shopping doesn't count.

Nope. - I have already the 5D2 and the new FF models don't offer what I want, preordered the Nikon D800 instead.

2. If Canon introduced a 1Ds X, as the 1D X but with FF sensor made using the 60D pixel (45MP), 6FPS, for a list price of $8000, would you buy this? If so, and you had intended buying a 1D X or 5DIII, would you buy the 1Ds X instead or as well?

No, too expensive for me.

3. If Canon introduced a 3D, 5DIII with the 45MP sensor above, 3 FPS, otherwise as 5DIII, for a list price of $3500, would you buy this? If so, and you had intended buying a 1D X, 1Ds X or 5DIII, would you buy the 3D instead or as well?

Yes, this might have kept me with Canon. However, the 5D3 lacks too many other features I like in the D800, so I still might have switched.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Randplaty
Contributing MemberPosts: 504
Like?

1. I have preordered a 5D3 and intend to purchase a 2nd one before the end of the year.
2. No I wouldn't buy this 1Ds X because of the weight and price.

3. No I wouldn't buy this 3D because the extra 3fps is worth more to me than the extra megapixels.

bobn2 wrote:

There are lots of threads discussing the merits of the 1D X, 5D III and D800. This thread isn't about which you want, or which is best - it's trying to discover which product options might play best for Canon. So, three questions.

--
Bob

Ben_Egbert
Forum ProPosts: 20,228Gear list
Like?
3 for me

No more $8,000 cameras and I don't need a spy camera, just give me lots of ISO100 pixels.
--

Technical savvy is required to understand a technical argument. The rest take purported facts on faith and argue from that position or remain silent.

http://ben-egbert.smugmug.com/

Ben

Ben_Egbert's gear list:Ben_Egbert's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
BadBeta
Regular MemberPosts: 454Gear list
Like?

bobn2 wrote:

--
Bob

1. I don't intend on buying either. There is no real upgrade for my use from the 5DII.
2. I would consider it, but would prefer the one below.
3. I would buy that.

BadBeta's gear list:BadBeta's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital II Ricoh GR Digital III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +7 more
Digitalshooter2
Regular MemberPosts: 465
Like?

I would buy 5DIII if it is 2 stops cleaner than 5DII at high ISO's in RAW. Otherwise I am happy with my 5DII and will wait for the next version 5DIV or whatever it will be called.

bobn2 wrote:

--
Bob

-- hide signature --

2ShootDigital

Malcolm L
Senior MemberPosts: 1,237
Like?
I'd wait

for reviews. I am very fearful of very high MP on a 35mm sensor and what that would mean in terms of diffraction and other issues. Yes, the sensor people say it isn't a problem...

Frankly, at 21 or 22MP the largest I can print (17X22) gives me stunning results. I do not crop except when I absolutely have to (very rare). I do mostly carefully planned landscapes.

Everyone's needs are different and, frankly, all the rants, the speculations, and the moans and groans are way over the top. Not a single unbiased evaluation of a properly exposed and processed 5DMKIII RAW file has been shown yet that I can find.

ScottieC
Contributing MemberPosts: 643Gear list
Like?

bobn2 wrote:

I was going to get the 1D-x, however the release of the 5D III is a much more sensible purchase, so I am getting that and a lens instead.

No, if I need anything beyond the 22~24mp limit, I'll just rent a MF camera, or if my business starts pulling a greater need for higher MP, then I'll buy the Pentax 645D which is a 40megapixel camera for about $9500~$9900 which makes a $8000 dslr way too close in price to a MF camera.

If Canon introduced a 3D with 45mp at the same time as the new 5D Mark III with only 3FPS being the other other difference, no, I would not buy it before buying the 5D Mark III. My primary business is not static studio shots, or static landscape shots, so 3 fps is way too slow for my needs. However, as a 3rd camera to suppliment a pair of 5D Mark III's, I would consider it.

One more thing, if Canon popped out with a new 7D with the ASP-H sensor and kept it around 7.5~8 FPS, and around 18~22mp, I would jump all over that as a second body.

-- hide signature --

Bob

ScottieC's gear list:ScottieC's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +8 more
MASTERPPA
Contributing MemberPosts: 857
Like?

The age of $8000 35MM FF DSLR is OVER.

bobn2 wrote:

--
Bob

zerozeronine
Contributing MemberPosts: 595
Like?

Yup. I'm still in line for a 1D X.

No, I want the high ISO and action features of the 1D X, and I also can't justify having a second expensive body. At least not now...

Either way, I feel that such a body should be priced in between a 5D III and 1D X. The sensor shouldn't cost much more than any other full-frame sensor, should it? So that makes the rest of the body a 1D X without the fast FPS.

I would consider getting that as a second body to the 1D X. The split would essentially be the versatile 1D X, and the 3D for landscapes or art. I could dual wield those two for events.

But, given that the 1D X is already a big purchase (and Canon's coming out with lots of expensive lenses this year), I may wait for the 3D mark II. Waiting a bit to benefit from better sensor performance may not be a bad thing too. The 18 MP on the 1D X is really already quite high, so waiting won't be too painful.

Kaz

x-vision
Senior MemberPosts: 1,074
Like?
5DIII

The specs are exactly what I'm looking for. Will likely buy after the price drops.

expro
Contributing MemberPosts: 859Gear list
Like?

3D

a mini 1dsiv.... perfect

expro's gear list:expro's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +11 more
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 29,209
Like?
Thanks to all

Who've responded, I'm not replying to individual posts, to leave more space for polling. I'll be back at 149 or so, with the results. So far, it looks like some rumours make a lot of sense.
Till then, I'm off to bed.
--
Bob

Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,778Gear list
Like?

bobn2 wrote:

No. However, if my 5D2 breaks down, gets stolen etc, I absolutely will replace it with a 5D3.

Hale no. The days of $8k 35mm format cameras are over (hopefully).

Hale yeah. Hopefully Canon would leave the expanded bracketing in.

-- hide signature --

Bob

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, photography never for sale, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +16 more
Collett
Senior MemberPosts: 4,974
Like?

bobn2 wrote:

Nope. But IF the 5dIII comes down to $2500-2700 over time, has sweet AF as expected, and has slightly better IQ (e.g. 2 stops better high ISO) I would consider it if the trade up cost over my 5dII was not too much (around 1K).

No. Too expensive

No, because 3FPS is just too slow. If it was 5FPS, then perhaps ..... depending on how the IQ stacked up against the D800.

-- hide signature --

Bob

-- hide signature --

Jim

tony field
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,832
Like?
Interesting questions :)
In reply to bobn2, Mar 14, 2012

bobn2 wrote:

Pending the availability of high ISO raw images for the 1DX, I "intend" to pick up a 1DX which is extremely useful for my work in theatre, dance, ans sports. If your suggested "3D" in #3 below does not come out this summer/autumn at Photokina time, I suspect I will also pick up a 5D-III as a "better 5D-II" - hopefully at a reduced priced compared to today.

No - very high pixel count is not often needed for my work and price is a constraint here. My existing 5D-II's are adequate for resolution and IQ.

I would buy both the "3D" and also the 1DX. The "3D" is a "want to have" rather than "need" - but more pixels are sometimes very useful.

-- hide signature --
RvPhotoTraveller
Regular MemberPosts: 388
Like?

--

I will not be buying the canon 5 d mark 3 or the 1 d x . I will buy the canon 1 d s x/ 1dx at 8000 dollars and 5 d x / 3 d 3500-4500 dollars . The Canon 5d3 is in my opinion too much of an incremental upgrade and does not suite the type of photography I do any better than my two Canon 5D2 bodies. If I do not hear of an announcement of a high resolution camera from Canon soon I will go forward with a pre order of two Nikon d 800's. It's still not too late for Canon - all they have to do is pre announce a high resolution camera like they did with the 1DX. - 6 months in advance of shipping. This piece of news would make me cancel my nikon d 800 pre order right away.

buellom
Regular MemberPosts: 465Gear list
Like?

Considering the 5DIII but price is too high for what it delivers. (700$ less than D800 and it would be fine)

No. 1. Prefer the smaller body for travelling. 2. Too expensive.

Would buy the 3D instead, although the 60D sensor is not that convincing. It's not the high iso performance I'm worried of, it's shadow noise at low iso.

-- hide signature --

Bob

-- hide signature --

http://www.freude-am-licht.de

GatanoII
Regular MemberPosts: 264
Like?
for me, NO current Canon FF reasonable for upgrade right now.

I'll stay with Canon (I like the EOS system), but I wont buy anything from them until they offer some upgrades (or I break something) that will improve the output of my cameras to a significant extent, i.e.:

a rugged FF camera with more 40MP@5fps at least, the 61point pro AF and 100kpixel metering, at least 1/250 x-sync, 4K@24fps video and 1080P@60fps, fast auto focus during video for sport and events at least at 1080p (not required but welcome at 4K resolution)

the same as above but APS-C (I like a mixed system FF and crop) about 30MP is acceptable, but the frame rate must be higher

once Canon shows products with similar spec I'll start again to buy in the system and add some new glasses and flashes (at least, I like the new wireless system)

so none of the cameras you describe is what I'll like to have to justify an upgrade, anyone must track a virtual line of what he/she needs to be worth an upgrade, otherwise just use what you already have (unless the equipment you have is extremely limited for your current needs)

boels069
Regular MemberPosts: 462Gear list
Like?
In reply to buellom, Mar 14, 2012

Too soon to answer those questions.
I make up my mind after seeing decent tests of the new Canon/Nikon cameras.

boels069's gear list:boels069's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM DxO Optics Pro Elite
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads