A better (but stilll cheap?) macro lens than the 40mm

Started Mar 13, 2012 | Discussions
midimid
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?
A better (but stilll cheap?) macro lens than the 40mm
Mar 13, 2012

So I picked up the Nikon 40mm for my D5100 this last weekend at Best Buy. Going to do some amazing pictures of the cherry blossoms this coming week. But I'm considering taking it back and getting something else.

Here's why.

What I like:

• Sharpness: Other than being my first macro, I absolutely love how sharp this lens is. Certain pictures that came out really soft on the edges with my 35mm come out amazingly sharp on this 40mm - and I don't mean just close up. Its SO much sharper.

What I hate:

• Distance: I hate how close you have to get at 40mm. Everything must be perfectly still making only plants and stationary objects the only thing I can take macro photography of.

• Speed: In comparison with the 35mm, I also miss the ability to take great pictures without lots of light, thanks to the difference between f/1.8 vs. f/2.8. This was particularly noticeable just taking macro pics of random things around my room. I feel like everything has to be perfectly lit to get a nice macro shot. I also have to be too careful not block out the light from getting the lens so close to everything. The hood is useless. I think at a further focal distance, this would be less of a problem.

So I'm seeing some other options. There's a nice listing here of "macro" lenses:
http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests

Nikon has a really nice 105mm, but its outside of my budget. I'd like to stay under $500. Sigma and Tamron have a bunch that seem to price around $400-$800. Are any of them any good?

I'd say my biggest requirement is the sharpness I get from the 40mm.

midimid's gear list:midimid's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro +1 more
Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Brev00
Senior MemberPosts: 5,211Gear list
Like?
Re: A better (but stilll cheap?) macro lens than the 40mm
In reply to midimid, Mar 13, 2012

It is hard to get everything you want in one lens. While most macros are slower than 1.8, the Tamron 60 on is almost as fast at 2.0. Its working distance is longer than other 60 mm lenses. It is also an if lens so there is no movement while focusing. In your price range and has a rebate. Just may not be as long as you might like, but a long macro will cost more.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brev00 .

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
midimid
Like?

As I'm looking around at third-party stuff, I suppose I have two questions:

• What does 1:1 really mean? What does 1:3 mean in comparison?

• A math question. According to the Rockwell review (which is absolutely true!):

"Worse, the front extends as you focus more closely, leaving only 1.3 inches (3.5cm) between the lens and your subject at 1:1"

So, if I get a 90mm or 105mm macro lens that can also do 1:1, what distance would I be from the object to get the exact same image?

Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro +1 more
dbrowdy
Regular MemberPosts: 134Gear list
Like?

Lots of good info on your questions here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1030&thread=40833435

BTW, I think the Tamron 60 f/2 is probably a good bet for what you're looking for. The 90 might have a better working distance, but it's slower at f/2.8.

Not that I have either, but I've been reading a lot and I have my heart set on that lens.

dbrowdy's gear list:dbrowdy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +1 more
paulski66
Senior MemberPosts: 1,447Gear list
Like?

Well, one thing to consider is that lens speed tends to be a little less important with macro lenses, as you will likely be stopping down for macro photography just to get some modicum of DoF.

I've heard great things about the 40mm f/2.8, but I agree that the focal length seems a bit limiting. I have both the the 60mm f/2.8 AF-S G and the 105 f/2.8 VR; both are unbelievable lenses, but one is 2x the cost of the 40mm, the other almost 4x the cost. Personally, I think the 60mm is worth it, but you won't be getting any more speed nor gaining that much working distance.

You could look for an older used 105 f/2.8 D; you could probably find one for about $500. Or, of course, there's the 3rd party lens option. I've heard great things about both Tamrons (60mm, 90mm), as well as the Sigma 150mm if you really want to increase your range...

paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
Andre Bomhof
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,060
Like?
The Tamron f/2 60mm is indeed worth a look
In reply to dbrowdy, Mar 13, 2012

dbrowdy wrote:

Lots of good info on your questions here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1030&thread=40833435

BTW, I think the Tamron 60 f/2 is probably a good bet for what you're looking for. The 90 might have a better working distance, but it's slower at f/2.8.

Not that I have either, but I've been reading a lot and I have my heart set on that lens.

Here's the photozone review:

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/680-tamron6020nikon

Cheers,

André

-- hide signature --
midimid
Like?
Tamron 60mm vs. 90mm?
In reply to paulski66, Mar 14, 2012

I'm seriously considering the 60mm or 90mm Tamron. Other than distance, what's the biggest difference between the two?

Both have rebates right now and the results on the Tamron 60mm thread makes it very very attractive.

Again, sharpness anad distance are key to me. Is it true that 40mm vs. 60mm won't make much of a difference? I can't imagine ever capturing a bug at either of these distances, which leans me towards the Tamron 90mm or the Nikon 85mm if it performs as well as the 60mm.

midimid
Like?
In reply to dbrowdy, Mar 14, 2012

Thanks for this!! As mentioned, really considering the 60mm now. Any thoughts on how it compares to the 90mm other than just distance?

Brev00
Senior MemberPosts: 5,211Gear list
Like?
In reply to midimid, Mar 14, 2012

90mm is not if like the 60. The 90 is fx while the 60 is dx. I prefer the 90's manual focus and got more keepers with it at a Tamron macro event. I have seen good bug pics with both (not my priority) but, if that is your aim, a 150 or longer might be better. Trying both out would be ideal if possible.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brev00

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +2 more
Chris De Schepper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,105Gear list
Like?
In reply to Brev00, Mar 14, 2012

there is also the Nikon 85mm3.5VR, which has nearly the same WD as the 105 and is a lot cheaper. Of course the Tamron 60mm has F2 and more WD than the Nikon 60mm.

pw-pix2
Regular MemberPosts: 122
Like?

Tamron 90mm, even the old manual focus ones.
Highly regarded as a macro lens, highly regarded as a portrait lens.

-- hide signature --
paulski66
Like?
Re: Tamron 60mm vs. 90mm?

I never pull my 60mm out for bug pics. If that is your need, then go with the 90mm.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
Chris De Schepper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,105Gear list
Like?

the 60mm tamron has the same WD as the 90mm tamron, even slightly more, so for insects that wouldn't change. The 60mm is a newer lens, faster ,but no FF

paulski66
Like?
In reply to Chris De Schepper, Mar 14, 2012

Chris De Schepper wrote:

the 60mm tamron has the same WD as the 90mm tamron, even slightly more, so for insects that wouldn't change. The 60mm is a newer lens, faster ,but no FF

Huh?

Bjorn_L
Senior MemberPosts: 4,456Gear list
Like?

paulski66 wrote:

Chris De Schepper wrote:

Huh?

Chris is right.

The 60mm has nearly as much working distance as the Tamron 90mm. It has the longest WD of any 60mm macro that I know of. Most macros focus breath and get "shorter" at macro distance. I read somewhere that at MFD most 80-105mm macros are around 60mm in effective FL. While the Tamron 60mm seems to be designed to avoid this and thereby has more working distance.

It is also a full-stop faster at f2, but as was noted previously this has little bearing at macro distances where most of us are up well over f8 to get DOF.

There are some minor gotchas with the 60mm. A mild yellow cast (fix with white balance or in post). Occasional focus issues. Use google of forum search to read more about it.

The big plus is that when it is used as a prime and the subject is at a distance it is 60mm f2.

The Tamron 90mm has fewer gotchas, very nice skin tones. The OP would have to be sure to get the newer version with a focus motor if they have a d5100. Skin tones are very nice. Auto-Focus speed is very slow. (use MF or the focus limiter)

-- hide signature --

See my plan (in my profile) for what I shoot with. See my gallery for images I find amusing.

Bjorn_L's gear list:Bjorn_L's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +9 more
closeupfanatic
Senior MemberPosts: 1,182Gear list
Like?

1. You're trying to do everything with one lens, and that doesn't work, especially at low budgets. Keep your 40 for macro and get lens(es) designed for general photography for that use.

2. Macro lenses are small aperture because large apertures are useless - it's more important to have a good f/22 than f/2 in close-up work.

3. The only reason I'd take the 40G back is because it can't be reversed for higher magnifications. Get one with an aperture ring. (see http://johnsankey.ca/closeup.html for details)

closeupfanatic's gear list:closeupfanatic's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +2 more
paulski66
Like?
In reply to Bjorn_L, Mar 14, 2012

Interesting. Thanks, Bjorn...

Windancer
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,648Gear list
Like?
My Thoughts.......

midimid wrote:

So I picked up the Nikon 40mm for my D5100 this last weekend at Best Buy.

As someone who has both the Nikkor 105/2.8 and the 60/2.8 lenses I will offer my thoughts on this. AKAIK the 40mm is a DX lens while the 60 and 105 are FX lenses. This may come into play later should yo decide to go FX. On your camera the 60 will act like a 90 and the 105 will act like 157.5 mm lens.

All of the Nikkor micro lens are sharp. The working range of the 40 compared to the 60 or 105 is much shorter. I have used both lenses on different DX bodies and IMO they work very well.

To me the 40/2.8 is a good lens, and while cheaper than the 60 or 105. Personally I feel that you would be happier with a longer lens.

I personally speed is a non issue, IMO it's rare (not saying it isn't done) that you would use a micro lens wide open, so F1.8 vs 2.0 vs. 2.8 to me is a non issue.

Just my opinion though, others may and will differ.

Terry

-- hide signature --

Graham Fine Art Photography
http://www.pbase.com/windancer
http://gallery.reginaphotoclub.com/TGraham

Remember, it's not the CPU that's in your camera that makes great images, it's the one located about 4" behind the viewfinder that does.

Disclaimer: This e-mail is intended to impart a sense of humor. Given e-mail's inability to carry inflections, tone and facial expressions it may fail miserably in its intent. The sender acknowledges the limitations of the technology and assigns to the software in which this message was composed any ill feelings that may arise.

Windancer's gear list:Windancer's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V2 +19 more
midimid
Like?
The choice...

Thank you ALL for your replies. I spent hours reading up on all of this last night and still went to bed perplexed.

At the least, I know that my decision is between the Tamron 60mm and 90mm. Both have manufacturer rebates right now making them a steal to anything in comparison. The good news too is I bought the 40mm at Best Buy and can hold on to it for 90 days for a full return thanks to my Silver membership - as long as I can keep it from slamming into anything (this has already happened).

With that said, I think my money is going towards the 60mm. I don't think I'll goto FX any time soon - a D7100 will probably be my next upgrade. The 60mm is newer, and while the f/2 doesn't really matter, it'll be nice in situations where dusk is occurring and I don't have time to swap to my 35mm f/1.8. In general, it sounds like the 60mm can "use more light" than the 90mm. One review I read put its corner-to-corner sharpness as quite a bit better than the 90mm, which is also a concern (I love the 40mm's sharpness compared to my 35mm). These are all factors that make me turn to the 60mm.

Last question - I saw someone with a Tamron 2x teleconverter on the 60mm making it 120mm. This seems like something I might actually consider later on. But, I thought that could only be done with f/2.8 lenses?

midimid
Like?
In reply to Bjorn_L, Mar 14, 2012

FYI - according to here:
http://photo.net/comments/for-one-page.tcl?page_id=24182&comment_type=all

Working distance between the 60mm and 90mm is 4" vs. 4.25". That's pretty negligible, but alot better than what I'm working with now!

The Nikon 60mm is way shorter - someone says 1-7/8".

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads